NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-24-2004, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Default name that e-card

Posted By: leon

Since this has a ghost image are we going for "printers scrap" here? It is exactly the same size as my e90-2 (don't have my tape measure handy but the card was, go figure). It has a blank back. The thin border is in the same blue that the name is in, which is unusual. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that this is an e104-3 printers scrap for an uncatalogued player. We know that Moose McCormick played for NY Nat. in 1904, 1908, 1909, 1912, and 1913. This is the kind of stuff that excites me. How bad is that? regards all

Old 08-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Default name that e-card

Posted By: Anonymous

It's not an E104-3. Why? The font style is very different; All the New York E104-3s I've seen say "New York" and not "N. Y. Nat'l"; The style of art work is very different; and so far all E104-3s are portraits.

Two potential matches:

- I remember Lew Lipset selling an "uncataloged" O'hara card some months ago on eBay and the type style of this card looks very close to that card.

- Also, the type on your card looks VERY, VERY close to the type on the "uncataloged" Wagner card from the last Mastro auction - the one we all voted on - it could have been produced at the same time for the same reason - whatever that may be.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Default name that e-card

Posted By: brian p

Isn't this the same pose as the T206 card of McCormick? The font looks different, but otherwise it appears similiar.

Brian

Old 08-24-2004, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Default name that e-card

after closer examination I will go with your thinking it is the same, or very close to, the one in the Mastro auction..........later

Old 08-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Default name that e-card

Posted By: brian p

I double-checked and yes, it is the same pose as the T206. Which makes it a pretty interesting card. Are there other issues besides the Coupons, Pirates, and other such scarcer tobacco issues that utilize the same artwork as the T206?

Brian

Old 08-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Default name that e-card

Posted By: Dave

This does look like the image from a T206, for what it's worth.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Default name that e-card

Posted By: petecld

Worth a lot actually. There are cross poses from tobacco sets and candy sets. This McCormick card and the Wagner could possibly be part of a group of crudely produced cards created for proposal purposes OR I also speculate that they were used for gaining some type of pubishing rights.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Default name that e-card

The E222 series has T206 images too....later

Old 08-24-2004, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Default name that e-card

Posted By: Ben

Images courtesy of davidbvintage and useaglecorp on ebay (hope they don't mind)

Old 08-24-2004, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Default name that e-card

Posted By: James Verrill

Thanks for sharing this! Great card.

My opinions (opinions only, and subjective) are that this seems very similar to the card everyone questioned in the Mastro auction. A possible link - a possible trail? I can see why this kind of stuff gets you excited - it's fascinating!

I also think an identification of the player being McCormick is dead-on accurate.

James

BTW: Thanks also for showing the E222. Wanna trade collections...? You could still have visitation rights!

Old 08-25-2004, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Default name that e-card

Posted By: warshawlaw

because sharing photos was common. It wasn't until relatively recently that the card makers sent out their own guys to snap shots of players and/or purchased unique photos from indies.

I like the donovan images but note they are not the same painting--the shadows on the leg and background are different. leads me to conclude that they were made from the same photo by different artists.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Default name that e-card

Posted By: Art M.

I used to have this same card. It was described to me originally as a blank back T206 card of McCormick. The blue caption eliminates the T206 series.
I did post this picture in another thread previously. I did share the image with Lew Lipset earlier this year and he had not seen this before.

Old 08-25-2004, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Default name that e-card

Small world I guess..... It probably won't change hands again for a long time. I am giving a lot of thought to this card though about figuring it out. The Mastro Wagner unc. card does not have a T206 pose like this one so I am not quite sure if that would make this a potentially different series from that one or not? Very interesting......thanks for chiming in....regards