NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Default Any opinions on this Cobb

Posted By: zach

Hello I am new to the board but have been reading it for a long time. I was wondering about this Cobb. Is it real ?
Any opinions would be great.

Here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=4132167889&rd=1

Old 05-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

"THEY WERE BOUGHT UNDER THE INTENTION OF THEM BEING REAL BUT THEY DO NOT STATE REPRINT ON THEM BUT HOW EVER I HAVE NEVER GOT THEM GRADED SO I WILL NEVER KNOW FOR SURE BUT A REPRINT IS HOW I WILL HAVE TO LIST IT HERE IS A CLOSE UP PIC OF IT YOU BE THE JUDGE LMK WHAT YOU THINK AND EMAIL ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS"

And remember- seller could be pulling the 'ol bait and switch...while the card in the scan may look real, it isnt necessarily the card you'll receive when it's all said and done. I would never bid on that card.

Old 05-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Zero feedback seller too....STAY AWAY!

Old 05-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: t-206collector

...the corners look intentionally rounded.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

This issue comes up repeatedly. Cut and paste the following over your computer screen:

Any time a seller claims lack of knowledge, assume it is a fake. With modern technology, any seller can easily find out about and grade cards professionally, to eliminate any questions. Anyone who can read ebay and see what a slabbed version of this card goes for but would rather leave the card to sell as a question mark (at a vastly reduced price) is a fool at best, a crook at worst.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

You could be high bidder on this for a hundred bucks. If you win you could enter this into that thread that wants to know what the best deal you ever had on cards...

Then again, if there was a thread about the worst deals on ebay then you more than likely would enter it as paying a hundred bucks on a reprint of Cobb.

ZERO feedback -

The item description clearly states that it could be a reprint and is selling it as such -

Throw in the sob story of why the seller needs cash -

I would venture to guess that this person has sold on ebay before under a different name. They have all of the neat angles covered -

It's your call do you want to take a chance on getting a Cobb card cheap and POSSIBLY (more than likely, about 99.99% chance) having the card turn out to be a reprint.

Please don't let this board sway you in either direction...

Old 05-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

2 Rules for eBay bidders:

1) If the seller indicates the card is a reprint, or "is selling as a reprint", bid as if it's a reprint (i.e. a couple of bucks max).

2) If a seller says he is not sure how to tell if an ungraded 1952T Mickey Mantle or T206 Cobb is real or not, why they hell do you want to be buying 1952T Mickey Mantles or T206 Ty Cobbs from him?

Old 05-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Nate

Any mention that "the card doesn't say 'reprint' anywhere on the card" is immediate grounds for suspicion. As for this card, it definitely appears to have been worn down with the intentions of deceiving some poor collector. My advice- stay away!!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

Just looking at the smallish image, I would say that the pictured card is authentic. But what every one has said about staying away from an auction with all these 'warning' signs is great advice. My guess is that the winner of this one will end up with a reprint. T206 Cobbs are expensive, but are very common. Stick with an established dealer, whether on ebay or not--you will pay more, but you will bring home the real thing.

Brian

Old 05-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have known a fool or two. They turned into wonderful additions to my collection
later

Old 05-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I just want to get the under bidder, maxandbelle1988, to buy reprints from me. They are paying insane amounts for reprints. All the cards they have won and are the standard "doesn't say reprint, but might be real" song and dance.

Jay

Old 05-27-2004, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

but you're a witch when it comes to this stuff. Totally evident as I look at the background of this board. Well, warlock.