NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2023, 07:57 AM
octavio ranzola

Default Helmar cards

What is your opinion on them?
Old 12-10-2023, 11:35 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
I don't collect them but they're neat cards and the designs are fantastic. You can tell the guy behind them cares a lot about the history of baseball.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 12-10-2023, 11:42 AM
J@mes In.gram

I've got a pretty high opinion of them. But be advised. They're made in very limited numbers, and they can be very pricey. But I guess that's what makes them collectable. They're really good looking and well made. I have more Banty Red than Helmar, but I like them both. I have a small binder of the ones I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220206_113552.jpg (183.0 KB, 647 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (167.1 KB, 644 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220206_114049.jpg (173.0 KB, 647 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220206_114122~2.jpg (170.5 KB, 650 views)

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***

Last edited by jingram058; 12-10-2023 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:47 AM
Mark Peavey

I collect the Helmar cabinet cards. They are really beautiful cards, much more impressive in hand than they appear online. They are VERY thick - you will be surprised, and the images are actually glued on to the backboard, just like the cabinets from the nineteenth century. The size is 4 x 6. Also, they are a limited edition of twenty for each card. Here are a few of mine:

I recommend you check out their website. A great assortment of things to see. They have an auction every Tuesday night.

BTW, the color and design on the McGraw is correct. The Giants really did wear those in 1916.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helmar Cabinet Raymond.jpg (195.7 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg Helmar Cabinet Meyers.jpg (196.1 KB, 656 views)
File Type: jpg Helmar Cabinet Clarke.jpg (194.8 KB, 650 views)
File Type: jpg Helmar Cabinet McGraw.jpg (196.6 KB, 661 views)
File Type: jpg Helmar Cabinet Summers back.jpg (196.3 KB, 654 views)
Old 12-10-2023, 11:51 AM

nm

Last edited by MJRaider; 12-10-2023 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2023, 04:34 PM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumback View Post
I collect the Helmar cabinet cards. They are really beautiful cards, much more impressive in hand than they appear online. They are VERY thick - you will be surprised, and the images are actually glued on to the backboard, just like the cabinets from the nineteenth century. The size is 4 x 6. Also, they are a limited edition of twenty for each card. Here are a few of mine:

I recommend you check out their website. A great assortment of things to see. They have an auction every Tuesday night.

BTW, the color and design on the McGraw is correct. The Giants really did wear those in 1916.
Wow thank you mark those are stunning,I’ll buy some cabinets now for display.very pretty.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:31 PM
Greg Mitchell

Indeed, Charles, the owner and designer, is fantastic guy and ethical and vitally interested in history (even my own books). Dozens of designs now, from t206 size to large and thick and pre-distressed cabinets. I am selling a few of different variety if anyone is interested.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:13 PM
Fred

I've never purchased one of these modern Helmar cards. Initially, I thought they were horrible because people that don't know vintage cards may not read the entire item descriptions and not understand what it is they're going to receive.

With the above said, I think the person that is creating them is doing a nice job because these fantasy cards are what people would probably collect if they were in fact, vintage.

Nice looking, but not so much for me.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:46 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

The print quality and colors are both extremely high quality. The name spelling needs a bit of work though 😂.

The detail in the Rolled lace glove is a phenomenal touch imo.
Definitely recommend them.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 12-10-2023 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:11 AM
Rich Klein

at least when they started, and I will presume this is still true, they use really good sports artists to do the work. I think they are very attractive for the most part and a good addition to a vintage collection with a modern twist And in many cases, if you can't afford the vintage cards, this makes a nice sub with the older style paintings.

Rich
Old 12-11-2023, 06:48 AM
Chris Eberhart

Do they take requests? There are many a player that never had a card, those I would buy.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:14 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I think they are attractive, but not really cards because of age and licensing. If I bought one (and would if the right subject appeared) it would require a different mental head space than my "cards" purchases.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:24 AM
Greg Mitchell

Another cabinet-sized sample

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1702308218
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helmar_Imperial_Cabinet_80_Front.jpg (46.5 KB, 469 views)
Old 12-11-2023, 11:36 AM
Dave

I don't have any of them, but I do like them a lot.
Old 12-11-2023, 12:10 PM
J@mes In.gram

Another card maker, Banty Red, produces high-quality cards as well. They don't seem to sell as high as Helmar, but have quite a following. The Banty Reds I have came from Etsy, before inflation due to Covid. They seem to be exclusive to eBay these days. They aren't for everyone, and unlike Helmar, they use photography and colorized photography rather than paintings. I like the ones I have; they fill a niche in my collection. But I am leery of the way they both are auctioned on eBay. Maybe I'm wrong, but something just doesn't appear to be on the up and up with these auctions.

Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 12-11-2023, 12:46 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Not going to beat a dead horse as there is plenty, especially in the early days of me exposing the fraud of specifically one company. I see no real actual value in any of them, but if someone likes it for fun and no investment than please go ahead.

I just really have serious reservations about the producers of these that age product and purposely leave off production dates (especially when using the name of an actual vintage card producer to throw off google searches). I have seen these misrepresented on the secondary market far more times than I can count. If they are "art", they should be originals, if we are going for prints as semantics then the artist should be signing or credited and they should be dated.

Oh, and only one started off misrepresenting the product as some legit issue for a product premium, when it was easily found it was the other way around by creating tiny subcontracted product runs with no distribution contracts to legitimize the premise of this being some food issue.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 12-11-2023, 01:01 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Not going to beat a dead horse as there is plenty, especially in the early days of me exposing the fraud of specifically one company. I see no real actual value in any of them, but if someone likes it for fun and no investment than please go ahead.

I just really have serious reservations about the producers of these that age product and purposely leave off production dates (especially when using the name of an actual vintage card producer to throw off google searches). I have seen these misrepresented on the secondary market far more times than I can count. If they are "art", they should be originals, if we are going for prints as semantics then the artist should be signing or credited and they should be dated.

Oh, and only one started off misrepresenting the product as some legit issue for a product premium, when it was easily found it was the other way around by creating tiny subcontracted product runs with no distribution contracts to legitimize the premise of this being some food issue.

The part I made bold above is why I absolutely hate these cards.

When it comes to custom/homemade or whatever you want to call them cards I absolutely love them. There just has to be a way of telling they are new and not vintage/real. Making them look vintage with a real vintage name and not putting a modern date on them is the opposite of how I like my custom cards.
Old 12-12-2023, 07:57 AM
Ray VDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post

Most, if not all, of the Helmar cards are identified with production dates on the backs to avoid confusion with vintage cards. I enjoy the cards and have collected a few over the years to add to certain player collections I have. The artwork is top notch and you can see the effort and love that Charles puts into the cards.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:04 AM
Ray VDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
Do they take requests? There are many a player that never had a card, those I would buy.
Not sure about requests, but they have produced cards of many players that never had a card before (including House of David and International Stars). You can do a search on their website of everything they've produced - and clicking on a player's name takes you to a nice gallery of all their Helmar cards.

https://helmarbrewing.com/players/
Old 12-12-2023, 08:19 AM
Sean Brennan

Charles is a great guy and many years ago I helped write the back of some of the Goudey and T202 series cards. I personally really like the team postcards that used T206 images. They are made with wood and have a really cool 3d effect
Old 12-12-2023, 09:22 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
The print quality and colors are both extremely high quality. The name spelling needs a bit of work though 😂.

The detail in the Rolled lace glove is a phenomenal touch imo.
Definitely recommend them.
Key card for your Schoendist collection.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:35 AM

Default I never thought

I would ever be interested in a modern artist's depiction of anyone, but have come to realize that talented artists can offer great art, even in copies. For collectors, nothing competes with original photographs or the artwork on Goudey for example, but I bought a Helmar cabinet of Charlie Gehringer because the artist has captured his likeness in a way that I think is perfect.
Old 12-12-2023, 12:09 PM

Enjoyable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helmar Irwin and McCarthy [Front].jpg (195.7 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg Helmar Irwin and McCarthy [Back].jpg (206.8 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg Helmars Thorpe Mathewson and Doerr.jpg (88.5 KB, 337 views)
Old 12-15-2023, 08:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Helmars Art Cards

Quote:
They are very nice for other collectors to collect.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:46 AM

I hate to say it. Im struggling to see how they are any better than using AI to generate a famous baseball image and then making a high resolution print?

This can all be done at virtually no cost.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:28 PM
John I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotdeutsch View Post
I hate to say it. Im struggling to see how they are any better than using AI to generate a famous baseball image and then making a high resolution print?

This can all be done at virtually no cost.
They're well-designed - very visually attractive. I really doubt AI would come up with anything close to Helmar cards. Also, (I don't own any Helmars myself) but it seems like physically they are nicer than mere hi-res prints.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:33 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1941 View Post
They're well-designed - very visually attractive. I really doubt AI would come up with anything close to Helmar cards. Also, (I don't own any Helmars myself) but it seems like physically they are nicer than mere hi-res prints.
Ai couldn't come close at this point in time. The attention to detail (E.g the rolled lace glove on my Red that I shared) and wide variety of players is definitely beyond its capability. We're talking tons of Negro league and obscure 19th century players that don't even have images when googled. You need a human hand to make this quality.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 12-15-2023 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:46 PM

I think you’re underestimating AI.

You can feed it an image. Which is no different than Helmar imagery, based on existing images.

But if you like them. Collect them I guess.
Old 12-15-2023, 01:01 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotdeutsch View Post
I think you’re underestimating AI.

You can feed it an image. Which is no different than Helmar imagery, based on existing images.

But if you like them. Collect them I guess.
There is always something inhuman about Ai art at this point in time. If it can't even do a standard human right, there's no way in hell it could get the intricate details and quality of a historical baseball image. Go feed any ai image generator a helmar card or a script of what you want it to create. Watch the monstrosities it creates that are not even on the same planet of quality.

But I have no doubt it may reach that point one day.

Here's the best I can currently do after spending a while.
Tried to do something helmar might actually make, babe Ruth and satchel paige. Let's just say.... It's not there yet.

Last edited by Lucas00; 12-15-2023 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2023, 01:15 PM

The Babe does look fairly decent, with a distinct Muhammad Ali vibe. And Satchell...perhaps a combination of Ernie Banks and Gary Coleman?

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
Tried to do something helmar might actually make, babe Ruth and satchel paige. Let's just say.... It's not there yet.
Old 12-15-2023, 01:57 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

created to intentionally deceive. hard pass

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-15-2023, 02:01 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
The Babe does look fairly decent, with a distinct Muhammad Ali vibe. And Satchell...perhaps a combination of Ernie Banks and Gary Coleman?

Brian
Yea, babes not bad. But I expected that because there are so many images of reference for Ai to use. The main issues are the logos seemingly turned into hieroglyphics and satchels glove seemingly designed for a webbed foot. As well as baseball bats floating in the sky behind them.

Old 12-15-2023, 05:09 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Not a fan of AI whatsoever. I mean, look at how perfectly centered their Babe Ruth creation is!!!

Helmarsbaberuth.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2023, 07:21 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Not a fan of AI whatsoever. I mean, look at how perfectly centered their Babe Ruth creation is!!!

Attachment 601387
Holy smokes! THAT, sir, is what I'm talking about!

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 12-15-2023, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post

Attachment 601387
The one time I looked at a "Babe Ruth" card and it reminded to check the air pressure in my tires.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:00 PM
Danny Gabel

Default helmar

I have requested them to come up with T3 of Dummy Taylor and they did. I won it on eBay for 70 dollars and it was worth it!
Always buying Deaf Sports related, William Hoy, Luther Taylor, George Kihm, Grover Alexander, Dick Sipek, Curtis Pride, Carlton Molesworth, Lou Burdette, Gil McDougald, Ralph Lin Weber, Gallaudet University

Set
1909 E-91A (23/33)
1993 Topps Finest Refractor (109/199)
Old 12-16-2023, 06:35 AM

I love them and Banty Red too.

Last edited by ejharrington; 12-16-2023 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-16-2023, 06:59 AM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

I feel like the t206 Helmars are decent. Not sure how, but they have an old smell to them as well. (Have these currently available on Facebook groups)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231214_214906.jpg (197.2 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 20231214_214924.jpg (197.3 KB, 174 views)
Old 12-16-2023, 02:45 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
created to intentionally deceive. hard pass
This statement is false.
Old 12-16-2023, 03:09 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
This statement is false.
+1. That's totally false.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 12-16-2023, 04:59 PM
octavio ranzola

+2 totaly false
Old 12-16-2023, 05:01 PM
octavio ranzola

Thank you everyone that’s what makes net 54 fun..im gonna get some cabinets for my office.No big deal
Old 12-16-2023, 05:19 PM
Ben North

Quote:
This statement is false.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
+1. That's totally false.
Quote:
+2 totaly false
The person who makes them is a member on here. He has made a lot of "Vintage" cards with no dates. He quit posting on here because so many members were calling him out for exactly that.

Has he changed that aspect? I have no idea as I just make my own custom cards. If he has awesome. I know I looked at the auction page from his website and it didn't take long to find a card he was selling that looked vintage without any type of modern date on it.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:23 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The person who makes them is a member on here. He has made a lot of "Vintage" cards with no dates. He quit posting on here because so many members were calling him out for exactly that.

Has he changed that aspect? I have no idea as I just make my own custom cards. If he has awesome. I know I looked at the auction page from his website and it didn't take long to find a card he was selling that looked vintage without any type of modern date on it.
I cannot imagine how absolutely stupid one has to be to believe these cards which are not reprints whatsoever and on modern stock and sold as modern cards with an art style different from period cards are real vintage items. At some point, morons are responsible for being stupid.

These cards are obviously not meant to intentionally deceive, and claiming they are is a dishonest lie.

I have never bought a Helmar and will never.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:29 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I cannot imagine how absolutely stupid one has to be to believe these cards which are not reprints whatsoever and on modern stock and sold as modern cards with an art style different from period cards are real vintage items. At some point, morons are responsible for being stupid.

These cards are obviously not meant to intentionally deceive, and claiming they are is a dishonest lie.

I 100% agree on the bold part but come on they look more real than 99% of the cards pictured in the "Look out for ----- card" on eBay threads. Better yet the is this rookie Mantle real? threads.

EDIT: To add I do not in any way think the guy making the cards is trying to deceive anyone. It is others who buy his cards because some of them are not dated.

Last edited by bnorth; 12-16-2023 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:59 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I 100% agree on the bold part but come on they look more real than 99% of the cards pictured in the "Look out for ----- card" on eBay threads. Better yet the is this rookie Mantle real? threads.

EDIT: To add I do not in any way think the guy making the cards is trying to deceive anyone. It is others who buy his cards because some of them are not dated.
I don't know why you're quoting post 39 and complaining about the seller if you agree with the statement made, as you say here in your edit.

Which Helmar card takes more than a second glance to tell is not from c. 1888-1952?
Old 12-16-2023, 06:16 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I don't know why you're quoting post 39 and complaining about the seller if you agree with the statement made, as you say here in your edit.

Which Helmar card takes more than a second glance to tell is not from c. 1888-1952?
Quoted because not all their cards are dated.

Sadly not everyone is the absolute expert on cards you are. I am sure the exact same people than need to know if the rookie Mantles are real. Same for those listings about eBay counterfeit cards on eBay. There are some people that obviously can't tell even horrible fakes from real let alone modern cards using a vintage name.
Old 12-16-2023, 06:31 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Quoted because not all their cards are dated.

Sadly not everyone is the absolute expert on cards you are. I am sure the exact same people than need to know if the rookie Mantles are real. Same for those listings about eBay counterfeit cards on eBay. There are some people that obviously can't tell even horrible fakes from real let alone modern cards using a vintage name.
One does not need to be an expert in order to tell the incredibly obvious. When has Helmar reprinted a real card? When has Helmar made a card that could reasonably be mistaken for a real card? They change the designs a bit, add features not on original cards, the art style is completely different from any real set of the period, they look nothing like a real one whatsoever.

I went on their site for a few minutes and poked around for the closest card I could find to a real one. Can you tell the difference between these two? Do I need to identify which is which? Do you think any person of sound mind could possibly not tell the difference? I pray people are not genuinely this stupid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 17.28.42.jpg (120.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 17.28.56.jpg (140.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 4e240150148e009b69f897995b5abf55-3233472548.jpg (59.4 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-360997686.jpg (76.3 KB, 128 views)
Old 12-16-2023, 06:55 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:

Why are they illegally using images of deceased players and making it look old timey with no dates.

They don't even brew beer, it's made up to sell Laser printed cards.they took the original helmer tobacco name to confuse people

People question if they are period.

How the actual F am I lying?

It's plain as the nose on your face. Maybe not to astute n54ers, but your average person could think they are buying a helmar tobacco card.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 12-16-2023 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:03 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Why are they illegally using images of deceased players and making it look old timey with no dates.

They don't even brew beer, it's made up to sell Laser printed cards.they took the original helmer tobacco name to confuse people

People question if they are period.

How the actual F am I lying?

It's plain as the nose on your face. Maybe not to astute n54ers, but your average person could think they are buying a helmar tobacco card.
You're lying because you are making a blatantly false claim that any reasonable person would know is false. The cards are absolutely not meant to deceive. Look at their site and listings for 5 seconds. There is no chicanery or dishonesty. Even a complete moron can separate these in 1 second from 'real' cards. They make no secret whatsoever they are modern creations, in fact they do the opposite of pretend they are period.

They don't even brew beer; it's a fake brand for a design. Clue #1,000 that's it is not from 1910? Duh.

This is not difficult to figure out. As always we have a couple people bullshitting with a clearly false narrative