NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-22-2023, 07:00 PM
Gary

Default Anybody use UV blocking glass film in their card room?

I was contemplating getting some glass doors on the shelves in my card room/man-cave to keep out UV light. But that'd mean using Art Glass or Museum glass which is pretty pricey. But then it occurred to me, why not get UV blocking glass film instead.

There's many choices on Amazon (like this one):
https://a.co/d/8jAyqFj

Anyone tried it? If so, how did it work?
Old 09-23-2023, 08:36 AM
Rick

Gary, a lot of the u/v reduction claims on Amazon are not verified and tested, so these films may not help much or at all. The better films are more costly, and to get much reduction you need to use ones that are much darker and reduce the light significantly.

You could make doors for your shelves using u/v filtering acrylic which is much cheaper than glass, but it can scratch if you aren't careful. Another option I have used on regular acrylic sheets is U/V reducing sprays which you can get in hobby stores.
Old 09-23-2023, 03:44 PM
Gary

Thanks Rick.

I ordered an roll of similar clear uv glass film here in the UK. It wasn't very expensive so I thought I'd give it a try.

Glass already blocks UVB so it's only UVA that need to be addressed. I bought some UVA testers and it seems like the film works.

Considering collector's fears of sunlight on our cards and memorabilia, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more focus on ways of filtering UV light before it enters our card rooms.
Old 09-23-2023, 10:00 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

A card room??? Well, lah-di-dah. Does my large cardboard box count as a card room?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2023, 12:17 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Yes, I bought some a few years back. It's a pain to install. You have to make sure the glass is perfectly clean first (use a razor blade to scrape the glass before you start). Then you use a squeegee and a spray bottle and just start in one corner and work your way around. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2023, 07:42 AM
Joe M.

I had UV glass film installed in one room where I have cards & photos. I still close the blinds when sun comes thru the windows. Not sure how well the film works. Also, photos and cards were framed with special glass at a picture frame business. Over kill? LOL.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by jcmtiger; 09-24-2023 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Add info.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
A card room??? Well, lah-di-dah. Does my large cardboard box count as a card room?
And I guess that means my early 1980's cards are in Velveeta box closets?

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 09-24-2023 at 12:25 PM. Reason: eliminated the word card...who needs it anyways?
Old 09-24-2023, 10:52 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Just for fun, I doubled down.

I put the film on my house windows for my workout room where I display my best pieces. Then I bought a different film and put it on my display case windows.

Don’t have the technology tools to attempt to evaluate how well it’s working. But I did take a pair of those sunglasses that darken in the light and tested them out. They darkened from light through the window before the film, but after applying the film they didn’t darken.

So maybe it’s working?

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 09-24-2023, 11:46 AM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Yes, I bought some a few years back. It's a pain to install. You have to make sure the glass is perfectly clean first (use a razor blade to scrape the glass before you start). Then you use a squeegee and a spray bottle and just start in one corner and work your way around. Good luck!
Yep, it's fiddly to install but I watched a couple of youtube videos to understand the process and it wasn't too bad. I have a bay window in my home office (that serves as my card room). The window is divided into 10 panes so I had to apply the film 10 times. Even so, it only took me about an hour.
Old 09-24-2023, 04:19 PM

Years ago, I had a card room with windows and I had UV film applied to the windows. The cards still faded, especially the color red. Now I just block the windows completely with wooden shutters.
Old 09-24-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Years ago, I had a card room with windows and I had UV film applied to the windows. The cards still faded, especially the color red. Now I just block the windows completely with wooden shutters.
Doesn’t the issue of fading raise another issue with the grades given to slabbed cards? The card is protected from getting scratched or creased, but the condition could still deteriorate due to fading such that the grade on the flip is no longer appropriate.
Old 09-24-2023, 05:55 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
Doesn’t the issue of fading raise another issue with the grades given to slabbed cards? The card is protected from getting scratched or creased, but the condition could still deteriorate due to fading such that the grade on the flip is no longer appropriate.
I suppose that depends on whether the TPGs use UV filtered plastic.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:24 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Hey, I have a card room. My wife calls it my "closet."
Old 09-25-2023, 08:47 AM
Steve Birmingham

Polycarbonate/Lexan supposedly blocks UV effectively.

https://www.palram.com/blog/construc...-uv-radiation/
Old 09-25-2023, 11:04 AM
Paul Lehr

I put blackout film on the window of my cave, changed all lights to LED, and put everything on dimmers as well. Everything framed is done with museum glass with the exception of a few paintings which I'd never put glass over. I've had my current setup for 2.5 years and some of these pieces on display in a similar environment for a decade with no signs of fading.
Old 09-30-2023, 12:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The only time I have had something framed, I used uv blocking with some other safeguards too. A professional framer did it.