NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2023, 11:46 AM
J@mes In.gram

Default Thinking About Writing A Book

Entitled, "The Hall Of Overlooked"

In it, I would write interesting biographical histories of such egregious oversights as Riggs Stephenson, Cecil Travis and Thurman Munson, and any others whose omission from the Baseball Hall Of Fame is glaring. There would be accompanying interesting and rarely-seen photographs, used of course only with permission (I have written books and magazine articles before; this wouldn't be my first rodeo).

I would solicit input from this net54baseball.com forum. I feel the real experts are here, and the Society For American Baseball Research (SABR).

This isn't something taken lightly, and would take months to accomplish. But I feel this would perhaps bring some level of comfort to those of us who just can't sit idly by and watch these baseball heroes of ours be passed over, year after year, decade after decade.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 07-30-2023, 12:02 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Two guys that come to mind are: Gavvy Cravath and Lefty O’Doul. O’Doul might make more sense when you consider his impact on the sport after he retired as a player. Cravath doesn’t get the recognition he deserves either. Went on to become a judge out in California when he retired.

As for the NHL, John Tonelli is real close to having a HoF career, was super clutch. Butch Goring was a better player than Guy Carbonneau and gets slighted every year.
Old 07-30-2023, 12:28 PM

Goring was the final piece to the puzzle and why the Islanders won those Cups. Great penalty killer and played his best when it mattered the most. He also wore that old helmet forever and just painted it every year. He was substance and not style.
Old 07-30-2023, 12:28 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I always support more books. Go for it! You will get much debate, if you want to do a more scholarly approach I would excuse the egregious part and make it a Hall of Overlooked. The egregious type of presentation is more for an argumentative piece, if that is the intent.

Chapter 1 should be James Creighton and Ross Barnes. They seem objectively to be the 2 clear no brainers that have been kept out more by the strict setup of the ruleset than any argument or belief that they don’t honestly belong.
Old 07-30-2023, 12:34 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I always support more books. Go for it! You will get much debate, if you want to do a more scholarly approach I would excuse the egregious part and make it a Hall of Overlooked. The egregious type of presentation is more for an argumentative piece, if that is the intent.

Chapter 1 should be James Creighton and Ross Barnes. They seem objectively to be the 2 clear no brainers that have been kept out more by the strict setup of the ruleset than any argument or belief that they don’t honestly belong.
Greg, I fully anticipate much debate. I will take your advice, and drop "egregious"!

Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 07-30-2023, 01:14 PM
Jim Reynolds

Save a chapter for Steve Garvey.
Old 07-30-2023, 01:18 PM

Default New book

What a great notion! First piece of advice is not to take too seriously, any advice you get here, including mine It’s your book. A few names to consider: David Concepcion, Bill Dahlen, Jack Glasscock. Trent King
Old 07-30-2023, 01:24 PM

Ross Barnes, Curt Schilling and Keith Hernandez.
Old 07-30-2023, 01:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/21/s...l-of-fame.html
Old 07-30-2023, 01:40 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
Ross Barnes, Curt Schilling and Keith Hernandez.
Would rather see Don Mattingly in before Hernandez
Higher BA (.307 to .296)
More HR's (222 to 162)
More All Star Games (6 to 5)
Hernandez did have 11 gold gloves to Donnie's 9
Old 07-30-2023, 02:32 PM
Jeff Carlson

You can likely tell where my baseball life came of age, but in addition to Munson:

Willie Randolph
Sparky Lyle
Graig Nettles
Old 07-30-2023, 02:47 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Higher BA (.307 to .296)
More HR's (222 to 162)
Also:

Hernandez's career WAR is 60.3 vs. Donnie's 42.4
Keith's career OBP is .384 vs. Mattingly's .358
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 07-30-2023, 03:50 PM
John I.

How is Riggs Stephenson an "egregious oversight" if he wasn't good enough to be a regular? He had four years as a regular out 14 major league seasons. (I understand that was complicated a little by injuries, but people don't get elected on "might-have-beens.") To me he seems to be roughly equivalent to John Kruk.

Last edited by John1941; 07-30-2023 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 03:51 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Also:

Hernandez's career WAR is 60.3 vs. Donnie's 42.4
Keith's career OBP is .384 vs. Mattingly's .358

Hernandez got a ring…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 07-30-2023, 04:03 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I’m all for anything that calls the HOF out on their ridiculousness.
Old 07-30-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1941 View Post
How is Riggs Stephenson an "egregious oversight" if he wasn't good enough to be a regular? He had four years as a regular out 14 major league seasons. (I understand that was complicated a little by injuries, but people don't get elected on "might-have-beens.") To me he seems to be roughly equivalent to John Kruk.
Surprisingly enough, I happen to be the founding member of the John Kruk Hall of Fame Egregious Oversight Society (JKHFEOS). Meetings are held 8pm third Tuesday of each month at select laundromats across the country. Thanks to this thread, how Riggs Stephenson stacks up to John Kruk will be the headlining topic at the next meeting.

Brian
Old 07-30-2023, 04:27 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Most people will go to the mat for an overlooked player who, absolutely conincidentally, was their childhood hero at age 15.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-30-2023 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 04:56 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Well, he was injured playing college football, which ruined his throwing arm (people find that interesting). He has a greater than .300 lifetime MLB batting average (people find that interesting, too). He's going into the book. If that offends you, sorry, there's no debate. Don't buy or read the book, if it gets published if it bothers you. It bothers me, a lot, given that he was a household name when he played for the Cubs, that he's not in the HOF. I know this because of all the old scrapbooks I have. Him and guys like him are the whole point of the book idea. If you're going to put McGriff, Rolen and Baines in, while overlooking household names from the past, well, that's why I intend to publish this book.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 07-30-2023, 05:27 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Make sure you do a deep dive with each of your subjects, namely how they were perceived and respected by their teammates and opponents. That inside insight is invaluable as to what their worth truly was on the field. For instance, Keith Hernandez was brought up. That guy was a frickin' leader and a huge driver of those successful Mets teams. The theoretical WAR that everyone always seems to immediately turn to tells us nothing about that aspect of a player's impact on the game.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 07-30-2023 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 05:42 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
The theoretical WAR that everyone always seems to immediately turn to tells us nothing about that aspect of a player's impact on the game.
For gameplay, that's exactly what WAR does. It does not capture things like leadership in the clubhouse, however
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 07-30-2023, 05:49 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Make sure you do a deep dive with each of your subjects, namely how they were perceived and respected by their teammates and opponents. That inside insight is invaluable as to what their worth truly was on the field. For instance, Keith Hernandez was brought up. That guy was a frickin' leader and a huge driver of those successful Mets teams. The theoretical WAR that everyone always seems to immediately turn to tells us nothing about that aspect of a player's impact on the game.
You are exactly right, sir. +1 agree totally. By all means, Keith Hernandez goes in. Mattingly goes in, too.

I know there will be folks upset about some of these guys going in. Likewise, there will be someone who doesn't go in, that I somehow overlook. I will do my best with it.

What I envision at this point is to go chronologically, 1800s to now. In the end, I will come up with a list, and go with it.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 07-30-2023, 06:13 PM
John I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Well, he was injured playing college football, which ruined his throwing arm (people find that interesting). He has a greater than .300 lifetime MLB batting average (people find that interesting, too). He's going into the book. If that offends you, sorry, there's no debate. Don't buy or read the book, if it gets published if it bothers you. It bothers me, a lot, given that he was a household name when he played for the Cubs, that he's not in the HOF. I know this because of all the old scrapbooks I have. Him and guys like him are the whole point of the book idea. If you're going to put McGriff, Rolen and Baines in, while overlooking household names from the past, well, that's why I intend to publish this book.
It sounds like he has a very interesting story and I'd love reading about him - but I'm very argumentative about baseball so I was just responding to that specific HOF claim. I guess this is not the appropriate thread to be arguing against selections.

Last edited by John1941; 07-30-2023 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:27 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
It sounds like he has a very interesting story and I'd love reading about him - but I'm very argumentative about baseball so I was just responding to that specific HOF claim. I guess this is not the appropriate thread to be arguing against selections.
Well, heck, argue away, sir! It's more than appropriate. These discussions are how I learn!

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 07-30-2023, 06:27 PM
Mike

Lou Whitaker
Mickey Lolich
Old 07-30-2023, 06:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I don't see Richie Allen mentioned yet, but I may have just missed it. From that general era, I would also suggest Tommy John, Al Oliver and Dave Concepcion (who I saw was previously mentioned).

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 07-30-2023, 06:53 PM

Compare Catfish Hunter and Vida Blue stats

Last edited by Kevin; 07-30-2023 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Stars to stats
Old 07-30-2023, 06:58 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Kenny Boyer is a great one.
Smokey Joe of course.

A modern one that is crazy to me how hes not mentioned much, Carlos Beltran (should have gotten 75% easily).

And Gary Sheffield??? No idea how he didn't get in first ballot.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 07-30-2023 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 07:42 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Hernandez got a ring…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With two different teams, and and he is in both of their Hall of Fames.

Going way back, I'd choose Jim McCormick.

And for a more recent guy--Kenny Lofton.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 07-30-2023 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 08:46 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Surprisingly enough, I happen to be the founding member of the John Kruk Hall of Fame Egregious Oversight Society (JKHFEOS). Meetings are held 8pm third Tuesday of each month at select laundromats across the country. Thanks to this thread, how Riggs Stephenson stacks up to John Kruk will be the headlining topic at the next meeting.

Brian
I would like to join the club.
Old 07-30-2023, 10:24 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Higher BA (.307 to .296)
More HR's (222 to 162)
Seinfeld episodes:
Hernandez: 2
Mattingly: 0
Old 07-30-2023, 10:57 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

No way the Dodgers win those 4 pennants and 3 World Series from 1959-1966 without Maury Wills. His 104 stolen bases in '62 was epic, and his 2134 career hits are impressive when you consider he broke in as a 26-year-old rookie.

He'd also be an interesting story, with the angle of Topps not signing him to their standard contract because they thought he had little chance to even make the big leagues.

He came very close to making the Hall a few years ago, but last time was mostly forgotten, as Oliva, Minoso, Kaat and Hodges got in.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

All the names mentioned:

Dick Allen - Great rate stats, I would vote for him.

Ross Barnes - Truly egregious he is not in.

Vida Blue - Borderline that could go either way. Probably gets in eventually as he's near the top of the waterdown list.

Ken Boyer - Good candidate, near the top of his position not in. Not sure that's enough though.

Dave Concepcion - Good glove, below average bat. If he was not part of a famous franchise he would not be considered.

Gavvy Cravath - Great rate states, barely played. 1,221 games. Not a real candidate, but played like one for a few years. Homer totals heavily inflated by a ridiculously short fence. Short career + context have correctly kept him out.

Bill Dahlen - I would vote for him.

Steve Garvey - Possibly the most overrated 1B in baseball history. .294/.329/.446 as a 1B is not a HOFer. Relies heavily on people liking him when why we're young, which is always a clue a candidate is not a real candidate. If they are a good choice, people who like them will still use the math instead of sentiment when making the case. When the argument is about sentiment, red flag.

Jack Glasscock - I would vote for him.

Keith Hernandez - No slouch at the plate, but his batting line is not competitive with a 1B HOFer. One must place a heavy value on 1B defense to make a logical argument for him, which I don't think is really supportable. Hall of Very Good.

Tommy John - Borderline, probably going in as few starters since 1900 are better than him and not in, his fame from the surgery endures, and they just elected Kaat.

Kenny Lofton - Embarrassing he fell off the ballot his first year. He is on the border and deserves a serious look instead of an instant dismissal.

Mickey Lolich - 217-191 with an ERA 4% over the league. This is not a serious candidate, we would need to elect ~50 other starters first.

Sparky Lyle - Hard to take him as a serious candidate using math.

Don Mattingly - 80's rookie card fans and Yankees fans are not a reason to induct people. His state line is again not competitive with HOF 1B. He may get in on sentiment, but not merit.

Jim McCormick - Clearly meritous.

Thurman Munson - One of, maybe the, best at his position not in, reasonable electee but not overlooked, right on the edge. I would vote against.

Graig Nettles - One of the best at his position not in. A candidate, I would vote no, but not an unreasonable expansion.

Lefty O'Doul - One would have to amend the criteria to include Japan. He is, like Stephenson, not a real candidate on the basis of his MLB playing performance but did a lot of other things.

Al Oliver - I don't think hitting .300 alone is enough.

Willie Randolph - Closer than some would think, but still not there. A good example of the excess of WAR, which loves his league average bat.

Curt Schilling - He is not in for being a loudmouth for the political party the media hates. He is obviously meritous when one restricts it to the math. If his comments and jokes were to the detriment of the groups the voter base hates, he would have been in ballot 1.

Gary Sheffield - Notorious steroid user, he is out for that reason (as only Ortiz is exempted from responsibility because reasons and corruption). Not a serious contender.

Riggs Stephenson - Great rate stats, barely played. Hit 100 games 5 times. Not a real HOF candidate, but a great player who could have been.

Cecil Travis - One of the most overrated players in baseball history. He had 1 great season, and 3 more between 110-120 OPS+. His candidacy is based on sentiment and a fantasy fiction what if. Not a real candidate if one accepts a mathematical basis.

Lou Whitaker - Real borderline, edge case who could reasonably not go in or reasonably go in. Trammell's election pretty much guarantees he's going in on a committee ballot at some point here.

Smoky Joe Wood - 1,400 IP. Not a serious candidate for anything other than people like his story.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:32 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
All the names mentioned:

Vida Blue - Borderline that could go either way. Probably gets in eventually as he's near the top of the waterdown list.

Ken Boyer - Good candidate, near the top of his position not in. Not sure that's enough though.

Dave Concepcion - Good glove, below average bat. If he was not part of a famous franchise he would not be considered.

Gavvy Cravath - Great rate states, barely played. 1,221 games. Not a real candidate, but played like one for a few years. Homer totals heavily inflated by a ridiculously short fence. Short career + context have correctly kept him out.

Steve Garvey - Possibly the most overrated 1B in baseball history. .294/.329/.446 as a 1B is not a HOFer. Relies heavily on people liking him when why we're young, which is always a clue a candidate is not a real candidate. If they are a good choice, people who like them will still use the math instead of sentiment when making the case. When the argument is about sentiment, red flag.

Keith Hernandez - No slouch at the plate, but his batting line is not competitive with a 1B HOFer. One must place a heavy value on 1B defense to make a logical argument for him, which I don't think is really supportable. Hall of Very Good.

Tommy John - Borderline, probably going in as few starters since 1900 are better than him and not in, his fame from the surgery endures, and they just elected Kaat.

Kenny Lofton - Embarrassing he fell off the ballot his first year. He is on the border and deserves a serious look instead of an instant dismissal.

Mickey Lolich - 217-191 with an ERA 4% over the league. This is not a serious candidate, we would need to elect ~50 other starters first.

Don Mattingly - 80's rookie card fans and Yankees fans are not a reason to induct people. His state line is again not competitive with HOF 1B. He may get in on sentiment, but not merit.

Thurman Munson - One of, maybe the, best at his position not in, reasonable electee but not overlooked, right on the edge. I would vote against.

Graig Nettles - One of the best at his position not in. A candidate, I would vote no, but not an unreasonable expansion.

Lefty O'Doul - One would have to amend the criteria to include Japan. He is, like Stephenson, not a real candidate on the basis of his MLB playing performance but did a lot of other things.

Willie Randolph - Closer than some would think, but still not there. A good example of the excess of WAR, which loves his league average bat.

Curt Schilling - He is not in for being a loudmouth for the political party the media hates. He is obviously meritous when one restricts it to the math. If his comments and jokes were to the detriment of the groups the voter base hates, he would have been in ballot 1.

Gary Sheffield - Notorious steroid user, he is out for that reason (as only Ortiz is exempted from responsibility because reasons and corruption). Not a serious contender.

Riggs Stephenson - Great rate stats, barely played. Hit 100 games 5 times. Not a real HOF candidate, but a great player who could have been.

Cecil Travis - One of the most overrated players in baseball history. He had 1 great season, and 3 more between 110-120 OPS+. His candidacy is based on sentiment and a fantasy fiction what if. Not a real candidate if one accepts a mathematical basis.

Lou Whitaker - Real borderline, edge case who could reasonably not go in or reasonably go in. Trammell's election pretty much guarantees he's going in on a committee ballot at some point here.

Smoky Joe Wood - 1,400 IP. Not a serious candidate for anything other than people like his story.
Every single one of these guys gets my vote over Harold Baines.
Old 07-31-2023, 12:35 AM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Default Thinking About Writing A Book

Quote:
All the names mentioned:

Actually had no clue Gary was a Roider. Guess it was barely reported compared to bonds and mark.

I think Joe should get a little extra consideration because his time as a hitter was quite good. And that was very impressive making the switch a decade into his career.
Also the fact the best players of the time, Wajo, Cobb, the list goes on and on have quotes listing Joe as one of the top pitchers of the day. You can’t overlook that.

I remember a quote somebody said about Joe to me. “There are players in the hall who pitched double the amount of games as Smokey Joe Wood. But they were only half as good as him”

Strange to think about. If that’s true or not.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 07-31-2023 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 03:06 AM
J@mes In.gram

This is excellent. Just excellent. The list is starting to come together, becoming chapters.

Love the comment "I would take every one of them over Baines".

Question - do you think I should stop before the modern era, avoiding controversy? A few of the names listed might actually get in at some point. Or just go with it?

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 07-31-2023, 03:55 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

As a member of the pre-war committee, Ross Barnes, Bill Dahlen, Joe Wood, & Lefty O'Doul all get my vote, if Buck O'Neil gets in for being an ambassador of the game so does O'Doul. I'd also induct Joe Jackson.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-31-2023, 04:03 AM
Joseph Mie.lke

Dwight Evans, Dave Parker

Speaking of Harold Baines, his career numbers are very similar to Tony Perez.

Last edited by Chicosbailbonds; 07-31-2023 at 04:04 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 05:31 AM

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Bill Freehan. He was the best catcheer or his era.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicosbailbonds View Post
Dwight Evans, Dave Parker

Speaking of Harold Baines, his career numbers are very similar to Tony Perez.
Parker was the most feared hitter in baseball for a 5 year stretch, plus that arm. I’m on the fence, but I’m saying “yes”
Old 07-31-2023, 08:28 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Bobby Grich. I know this is controversial but he gets a big boost from the Sabermetric crowd.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:11 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

I say do it! There are plenty of SABR guys and girls willing to help - myself included. I think it's a great idea!
Old 07-31-2023, 09:13 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Tony Mullane

Harry Stovey

Bob Caruthers

Bob Grich

Ron Guidry

Pete Browning

Luis Tiant

Jimmy Ryan

George Van Haltren

Billy Pierce

Carl Mays

Bob Johnson

Some I didn’t see mentioned that deserve some consideration IMO

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 07-31-2023, 11:25 AM
Jim Caravello

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebeckleyoldeagleeye View Post
Goring was the final piece to the puzzle and why the Islanders won those Cups. Great penalty killer and played his best when it mattered the most. He also wore that old helmet forever and just painted it every year. He was substance and not style.
Goring and Tonelli and don't forget Mr. Islander himself, Bobby Nystrom.....

Goring was definitely the final piece for the dynasty run to begin......and no one - no one was tougher on the boards than Tonelli and Nystrom.....

They don't win four in a row without those three guys.....even with the HOF talent they had at the time with Potvin, Bossy, Smith, Trottier and Gillies.....

IMHO....
Old 07-31-2023, 12:25 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I'll be the third to say Dave Parker. He WAS the most feared hitter in baseball for quite a few years, he had the cannon throwing arm, and he's got the lifetime stats.

I believe the writers had issues with him, but that should be water under the bridge. I'm all for a "small hall" but would like to see Parker get in.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 07-31-2023, 01:57 PM
J@mes In.gram

Interesting stories, overlooked stories, who to include, who to leave out. I think the list is coming together.

I anticipate approximately 200 pages, + or -

Strongly desire to populate this with rarely seen photos, even newspaper clippings and cards and such. Not the same old, stale images we've all seen a million times. If I use your stuff, I will ask for and get permission or I will use something else.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 07-31-2023, 02:02 PM
J@mes In.gram

Ned Williamson? George Gore? Bobby Lowe?

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 07-31-2023, 03:41 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Or just go with it?
If your book gains any traction, that’s a risk you run no matter what era. Roll with it 😀
Old 07-31-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I believe the writers had issues with him, but that should be water under the bridge. I'm all for a "small hall" but would like to see Parker get in.
My uncle had an HoF vote and covered Parker’s career in Pittsburgh. I know he liked him. I know that Parker and Stargell always chatted up my grandmother when she visited Uncle Charley in Pittsburgh.

Uncle Charley most definitely voted for him. But perhaps the out of town writers didn’t like him. Good question.
Old 07-31-2023, 04:06 PM

I could have sworn Pete Browning WAS in the HoF already.
Old 07-31-2023, 04:30 PM
Danny Gr|mes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Most people will go to the mat for an overlooked player who, absolutely conincidentally, was their childhood hero at age 15.

My childhood hero was Mattingly. That being said, in my opinion he don’t belong in. He was good (great) for couple of years and that’s it. Unless his managerial credentials amount to anything, still a no. Players that fall in this category regardless, no!!!!