NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-29-2023, 08:21 AM
Jay Shumsky

Default Best offer on eBay and providing a payment method

The last 2 times I've made a Best Offer on eBay, I had to provide a payment method before submitting the offer so that payment would be made automatically if the offer was accepted. Is this something new that eBay is doing or was it always an option for sellers to select with a listing? I've made a lot of offers in the past and don't remember it ever happening before the last week or so.
Old 07-29-2023, 08:31 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

i know as a seller, you can request immediate payment option.
Old 07-29-2023, 08:39 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Thanks. Hard to believe I just happened to find 2 listings that had that after never hitting one before, but I guess it's possible.
Old 07-29-2023, 09:01 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I suspect this could be it. I could be wrong, but I think this box may be a new feature on eBay. I just noticed it recently when listing some items, and didn’t recall seeing it before.

As a seller, I prefer this method, because otherwise I could see jokers running around and canceling their purchases after the seller accepts the offer. Then waiting a little while and trying to offer less. To be safe, the joker could set up different accounts to avoid getting blacklisted in their real account.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 07-29-2023, 09:05 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
The last 2 times I've made a Best Offer on eBay, I had to provide a payment method before submitting the offer so that payment would be made automatically if the offer was accepted. Is this something new that eBay is doing or was it always an option for sellers to select with a listing? I've made a lot of offers in the past and don't remember it ever happening before the last week or so.
I noticed the same thing with my last purchase. At first I thought I hit a phishing scam. I guess there are buyers who play games, but I am not one of them. I received the item purchased but it was the first time I had seen the automatic payment. Also, the payment hit my credit card not PayPal which was annoying.
Old 07-29-2023, 11:34 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I've just started using it as a seller. The last two times I sold something through BIN the "buyer" never paid.
Old 07-29-2023, 11:52 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I've just started using it as a seller. The last two times I sold something through BIN the "buyer" never paid.
Is it a new option for sellers or has it been available for a while?
Old 07-29-2023, 11:55 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

i goggled it and it says:
This feature is optional on the seller side, but many sellers may not even be aware they have it turned on - eBay automatically opted all sellers in when they introduced it in 2021 and if a seller isn't aware of that, they may be losing sales and not know why.

also found this:
With the immediate payment option on eBay, a listing is still available until a buyer completes the purchase.
You can require immediate payment in both fixed price listings, as well as auction-style listings with a Buy It Now option. Here's how it works: Fixed price: When you require immediate payment in a fixed price listing, the first person who selects Buy It Now and completes checkout gets the item.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 07-29-2023 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-29-2023, 12:00 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
i goggled it and it says:
This feature is optional on the seller side, but many sellers may not even be aware they have it turned on - eBay automatically opted all sellers in when they introduced it in 2021 and if a seller isn't aware of that, they may be losing sales and not know why.

also found this:
With the immediate payment option on eBay, a listing is still available until a buyer completes the purchase.
You can require immediate payment in both fixed price listings, as well as auction-style listings with a Buy It Now option. Here's how it works: Fixed price: When you require immediate payment in a fixed price listing, the first person who selects Buy It Now and completes checkout gets the item.
Thanks for the additional info
Old 07-29-2023, 01:27 PM
Rob

This has been the case for me for a couple years now.
Old 07-30-2023, 04:42 PM

Default Just started for me

I only just started seeing this feature as a buyer over the past month or so. I do a lot of eBay best offer submissions so noticed right away. I actually don’t mind it at all as a buyer, since the sale is completed as soon as the seller accepts. I also think it could result in getting my items shipped maybe a day earlier on average as a result. Time will tell if that pans out.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:46 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I used to encounter this very rarely, but in the past few weeks it seems like every single offer I make now requires this. I wonder if they changed the settings so that this now the default?
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 08-08-2023, 11:49 AM
octavio ranzola

if they accept your offer its taken right out of your account right away ,,
Old 08-08-2023, 11:55 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

It’s been around for awhile now. As a buyer now, I dislike it because I’ve learned from experience it means I’m paying independent shipping on each offer, so if it’s set up this way I don’t make an offer unless I only want one item from the seller.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:56 AM

I understand why they make you do it; it's no different than a winning bid and you're supposed to honor all winning bids. But it is annoying because you don't know if it'll be accepted, and therefore you don't know if you have the money tied up in your offer that is ultimately rejected or not.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:39 PM
Dale Walton
Dale Wal.ton

I ran into this as a buyer. I contacted ebay and they said it was a new feature.

I understand the logic. But, here is the problem I encountered which someone else may have described.

I made offers on multiple items from the same seller. Each was accepted. But each item was processed separately along with shipping. Free shipping would be no problem.
Combined shipping had been offered for multiple purchases but could not be applied.. This caused the seller to have to recalculate total shipping and do multiple refunds to me.

Maybe there was a simple workaround that we did not take advantage of.

Ebay did say a seller can opt out of the feature.