NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-18-2023, 11:54 PM

Default OT: Where are you posting from/most random net54 post location

I just responded to Ted’s T206 Matty Dark Cap thread when it occurred to me how crazy technology is and how I can be so far yet still post on the board I view daily.

I am currently in Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska. It is in the Bering Sea, 800 miles west of Anchorage, and further west than Hawaii. It took my wife and I 3.5hrs by air from from Anchorage to get here. We have no phone service and have to buy a very expensive hotspot to get internet, which only works at the hotel. The island, which is totally beautiful and awesome, is full of deep sea fisherman, all of whom think we are crazy but cool to come here as tourists. I don’t know why we came here other than we could (and we were already in Alaska). I hope we get home!! Below are two pictures off my GPS showing where I am as I type this.

It would be cool to see where everyone is as they reply to this post; kind of like one of those thumbtack maps you see in restaurants.

Post a GPS shot of where you are as you reply to this thread- let’s see the geographic diversity.

And, feel free to tell a story about the most random place you have been and/or posted or viewed net54 from
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1294.jpg (141.1 KB, 584 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1293.jpg (85.9 KB, 583 views)
Old 07-19-2023, 01:16 AM

How close is that Ryan to the Shishalden volcano that is currently erupting?

Brian
Old 07-19-2023, 02:24 AM

You're at the center of the TV show "Deadliest Catch" which is about crab fisherman. They seem to have mobile phone service even on their boats in the middle of the Bering Sea. Say hello to Sig.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:42 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I just responded to Ted’s T206 Matty Dark Cap thread when it occurred to me how crazy technology is and how I can be so far yet still post on the board I view daily.

I am currently in Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska. It is in the Bering Sea, 800 miles west of Anchorage, and further west than Hawaii. It took my wife and I 3.5hrs by air from from Anchorage to get here. We have no phone service and have to buy a very expensive hotspot to get internet, which only works at the hotel. The island, which is totally beautiful and awesome, is full of deep sea fisherman, all of whom think we are crazy but cool to come here as tourists. I don’t know why we came here other than we could (and we were already in Alaska). I hope we get home!! Below are two pictures off my GPS showing where I am as I type this.

It would be cool to see where everyone is as they reply to this post; kind of like one of those thumbtack maps you see in restaurants.

Post a GPS shot of where you are as you reply to this thread- let’s see the geographic diversity.

And, feel free to tell a story about the most random place you have been and/or posted or viewed net54 from
Nice! I’ll be back up there Saturday, then onto Akutan Monday. If you think DH is remote, it’s Manhattan compared to Akutan. Guessing I’ve posted from both at some point(?)

That Optimera wifi may be expensive now, but you should’ve bought data earlier in the year (or prior years). It was $25 for 1 GB, but they’ve got competition now that the fiber optic cable operational. Onward and upward!

Enjoy your trip, it’s a special place (as are most in Alaska), with some really good people. I’ve had a lot of great and colorful memories there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0275.jpg (199.2 KB, 569 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0287.jpg (190.0 KB, 563 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2228.jpg (197.3 KB, 575 views)

Last edited by itjclarke; 07-19-2023 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-19-2023, 03:39 AM
Brian Clatfelter

Default Hello from NC

MyLocation.jpg

Sorry, no real exciting location here. How cool to be checking in from the land of Deadliest Catch. I've only been a member for a few years and don't have any exotic locations to report(there's always hope).

Have a great trip and safe travels as you circumnavigate the earth.
Old 07-19-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianclat11 View Post
Attachment 580565

Sorry, no real exciting location here.
I used to work a bit less than 3 miles from where you're at (BASF).
Old 07-19-2023, 11:10 AM
Brian Clatfelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
I used to work a bit less than 3 miles from where you're at (BASF).
it’s a small world. The Raleigh Durham area is growing like crazy these days.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:18 AM

Ian, thanks for the PM. Literally, small world! My wife and I ate dinner in that bar last night. Woke up, looked outside and saw a huge otter swimming in the small inlet outside. Cool place.

Brian, yes, we are close to that volcano. And they had a 7.4 earthquake a few nights ago that sent out Tsunami warnings all over the coast; we were in Seward which was outside the warning zone, and nothing manifested anyway
Old 07-19-2023, 11:45 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Nice Ryan. Currently at home (blue dot) but spent a few summers in northern Canada and over to Anchorage. Many long nights where I was logged in here checking out cards.

Old 07-19-2023, 03:22 PM

I’m not there now, but I’m pretty sure I checked on Net54 from Iceland on our trip there when back at our hotel at night.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 07-19-2023, 03:36 PM
Charles Jackson

Was in Australia earlier this month and posted a couple of times from there.
Old 07-19-2023, 03:48 PM
Brian Macdonald

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Canada
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1031.jpg (124.7 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1030.jpg (88.3 KB, 421 views)
Old 07-19-2023, 08:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Nice Ryan. Currently at home (blue dot) but spent a few summers in northern Canada and over to Anchorage. Many long nights where I was logged in here checking out cards.

Posted before I realized I was looking at the red pointer instead of blue dot. Mostly left up for everyone elses amusement.

What a wonderful bit of perspective. To this Boston area member where you are IS northern Canada.

But then, when I moved to this area from western Mass I had to explain that the state went much farther west than Worcester or even Springfield

And yes, I know for sure that my entire state would fit easily between where you are and the Arctic Ocean.

Last edited by steve B; 07-19-2023 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Mistakes, sooo many mistakes
Old 07-20-2023, 08:12 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Wow you guys sure get around. All my posts are from Beautiful Downtown Burbank or Sherman Oaks, but I have posted from the toilet; does that count?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-20-2023, 08:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Wow you guys sure get around. All my posts are from Beautiful Downtown Burbank or Sherman Oaks, but I have posted from the toilet; does that count?
That is perhaps more than we needed to know....
Old 07-20-2023, 02:14 PM
Gary

Posting from the sun drenched fields of England.

Probably my most unusual posting location was standing in line waiting for a funicular train in Norway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230720_210520_Maps.jpg (142.2 KB, 347 views)
Old 07-20-2023, 03:11 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Less exciting today.

But just got back from Australia yesterday. Although I didn't post much while I was there, it was north of zero.

Started in Cairns, then moved down to Melbourne and Sydney.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AGDI2158[1].jpg (171.8 KB, 335 views)

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 07-20-2023, 03:12 PM
Tim Odeen

nothing exotic about Spokompton (Spokane), except maybe we are surrounded by tourist destinations in Northern Idaho. If you ever come to visit, make sure you visit Boo Radleys. That's where the real tourist souvenirs are located, and across the street is the garbage goat.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 07-20-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-20-2023, 05:46 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Quote:

Flames fan?
Old 07-20-2023, 06:08 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

I can hardly compete with some very remote spot in Alaska, but I quite often post from a small barrier island in New Jersey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sailboat Drive 1.jpg (148.2 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg Sailboat Drive 2.jpg (178.5 KB, 310 views)
Old 07-20-2023, 06:45 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Flames fan?
begrudgingly
Old 07-20-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That is perhaps more than we needed to know....
I agree...we don't need to know that Adam considers Burbank to have a beautiful downtown.

Brian (as I Laugh-Inwardly)
Old 07-20-2023, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
nothing exotic about Spokompton (Spokane), except maybe we are surrounded by tourist destinations in Northern Idaho. If you ever come to visit, make sure you visit Boo Radleys. That's where the real tourist souvenirs are located, and across the street is the garbage goat.

Question: I have a friend that lives out your way as well. I asked him, “can you see the Milky Way out there?” and he said he can see it from his backyard.

Now I’ve traveled and been around the world, but I must say, I’d love to see the Milky Way at some point…
Old 07-20-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
begrudgingly
Question: were you out there when they moved there? Atlanta was the first opponent I remember the Isles playing. Still feel bad Tonelli wasn’t on the ‘89 team. I am almost certain that it bothers me more than it bothers him…
Old 07-20-2023, 07:23 PM
Anthony

Quote:
Attachment 580565

Sorry, no real exciting location here. How cool to be checking in from the land of Deadliest Catch. I've only been a member for a few years and don't have any exotic locations to report(there's always hope).

Have a great trip and safe travels as you circumnavigate the earth.
Small world indeed! I live right down the road from you in Cary near Park West.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:01 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Less exciting today.

But just got back from Australia yesterday. Although I didn't post much while I was there, it was north of zero.

Started in Cairns, then moved down to Melbourne and Sydney.
The Rainforestation in Kuranda. I went there in 2002. I went back to Kuranda in 2003 and again in 2006 while on my honeymoon. All three times I took the Skyrail up and the train back to Cairns. The only way to do it as those Skyrail cabins get pretty hot in the late afternoon especially since I always go there during shoulder season - late November / early December. When I am up in Northern QLD I stay in Palm Cove which is about 16 miles north of Cairns. I go to the Great Barrier Reef from Port Douglas about 26 miles north of Palm Cove. If you have seen the movie "Fools Gold' with Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson it was filmed in Palm Cove and Port Douglas in 2006 while we were there.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 07-20-2023 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrone View Post
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Canada
PEI is on my bucket list! I bet it’s gorgeous up there.

Let’s see some more locations!
Old 07-20-2023, 11:52 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
PEI is on my bucket list! I bet it’s gorgeous up there.

Let’s see some more locations!
I go home (NB) every other year and spend a few weeks on the island, you have to go Ryan!
Old 07-21-2023, 12:26 AM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

I usually post from Phoenix, AZ but am currently posting from Medora, ND in the Badlands and at the entrance to the Theodore Roosevelt National Park.
Beautiful here!
Old 07-21-2023, 01:39 AM
Brian Clatfelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Small world indeed! I live right down the road from you in Cary near Park West.
No kidding. I’m actually in Fuquay Varina here. Easier to say Raleigh lol. We’re neighbors!
Old 07-21-2023, 03:30 AM
Anthony

Quote:
No kidding. I’m actually in Fuquay Varina here. Easier to say Raleigh lol. We’re neighbors!
That's great! Will you be at the show at the Fairgrounds this weekend? Actually, I think it starts today. I've been a bunch of times, but rarely pick up anything. It's mostly just modern stuff.
Old 07-21-2023, 05:36 AM
Brian Clatfelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
That's great! Will you be at the show at the Fairgrounds this weekend? Actually, I think it starts today. I've been a bunch of times, but rarely pick up anything. It's mostly just modern stuff.

Can’t get there this weekend because of work, but generally try to go for a day or two just to browse. I don’t usually buy much there either.
Old 07-22-2023, 01:27 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

On Irish Rail headed for County Clare and the links.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2023, 02:01 AM
Sean McGinty

Aichi prefecture, Japan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E8F96F9B-0429-4186-971F-164718A62C93.jpeg (51.5 KB, 230 views)

Last edited by seanofjapan; 07-22-2023 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-22-2023, 03:59 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

All my posts since last November have been from Djibouti. Before coming here, I was told it was the hottest place on earth that has a permanent population, and I do not disagree; now that we're getting winds out of the west, off the desert, it's the only place I've been where the wind blowing makes it hotter.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:54 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I post in a place where the temps have been over 110 for at least 3 weeks now and no end in sight.

And that works for me.

B.T.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 07-24-2023, 12:54 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Circling back to where Ryan started this thing, I'm posting from Dutch Harbor/Unalaska.

From here I'll be making my way to Akutan, by way of Akun to its east if by air, or by a more direct route if by sea. As always, this leg of the trip is TBD, which is part of the fun .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N54 akun.jpg (87.3 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg DH long.jpg (144.7 KB, 184 views)
Old 07-24-2023, 04:25 AM

Nice Ian!! I got your email, I owe you a response. Enjoy yourself and I hope you hit the seafood buffet at the Grand Aleutian on Wednesday
Old 07-25-2023, 11:35 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Nice Ian!! I got your email, I owe you a response. Enjoy yourself and I hope you hit the seafood buffet at the Grand Aleutian on Wednesday
Gonna miss the Grand's buffet, but it is a good one for sure. Instead it'll be all you can eat at Trident Seafoods' plant galley for the next 2 weeks or so.
akutan.jpggalley akutan.jpg

Fresh off the boat last night, 11:30pm.
fresh off the boat.jpg

I so love that another N54er was bouncing around way out here too!
Old 07-26-2023, 02:13 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Mother Nature had the best of us today. We'll try Tralee tomorrow.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
I can hardly compete with some very remote spot in Alaska, but I quite often post from a small barrier island in New Jersey.
Nice. We usually spend a week at the northern part of LBI every summer. Now that our kids are grown, not much call for our Fantasy Island/Bay Village Pizza/Custard Hut run past the causeway
Old 07-26-2023, 03:37 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I have posted from Bangkok, Cape Horn and Santorini.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:15 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

International Space Station.

Not really, I just wanted to win something.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-26-2023 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2023, 06:41 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:

Any card shops in Unalaska, Dutch Harbor???

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:06 PM
Ben North

Nothing exotic but extremely rural South Dakota. I like the camping spot with the red X. Therre are only a few farms within a several mile radius. The campgrounds has zero amenities, no water, no sewer, and no electricity. So on clear nights the sky is simply amazing with no lights for miles to ruin the view of the sky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Web capture_26-7-2023_195638_www.google.com.jpeg (125.6 KB, 84 views)
Old 07-26-2023, 07:27 PM
Jac0b Br@un

Posting from Guyana!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7884.jpg (114.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 07-26-2023, 10:03 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanmade View Post
Posting from Guyana!
Keep an eye out for Papillon!

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 07-27-2023, 12:10 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Nope, no shops in Unalaska but I bought these at a shop in Anchorage 3-4 weeks ago. Only $0.50/pack, about 1/2 what they'd normally go for. I got all his remaining boxes, so he threw in the grocery display for free. It will land in my game room whenever I figure out how to get it home. Currently stored in a friend's office in ANC. Packs shipped home safely and have been great giveaways for the nephews and friends' kids.

I did once see fish plant processors in Akutan trading 1980s-1990s cards from their binders. Also delivered a Hoops pack to my customer earlier today. There are at least a few card hounds up here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hoops.jpg (202.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg hoops display.jpg (199.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg hoops packed.jpg (185.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg hoops jordan.jpg (185.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 07-27-2023, 06:34 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Nothing exotic but extremely rural South Dakota. I like the camping spot with the red X. Therre are only a few farms within a several mile radius. The campgrounds has zero amenities, no water, no sewer, and no electricity. So on clear nights the sky is simply amazing with no lights for miles to ruin the view of the sky.
Camping in BFE is the greatest thing ever! I go backpacking and my friend always wakes me up at 2am and says some version of "look at the stars." of course I can't see anything without glasses and so I'm always like - "yeah, that's so great." lol

We like to backpack around Libby, MT in the Cabinet Mts. Also hiked the Eagle Cap Wilderness in NE Oregon. Photo is in the Cabinets. We summited Snowshoe Peak, and the flowers are near Snowshoe Lake.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 07-27-2023 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-27-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
There are hardly any shops of any kind is Dutch Harbor. My wife was a little disappointed by the utter lack of “cute stores”. Not much beside a few marine gear shops, a very impressive Safeway, and a few bars.

Some really pool posts and locations. Thanks for participating