NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: After paying their dues, should hobbyists who committed fraud be allowed back ?
Yes 67 18.56%
No 257 71.19%
I don't care 37 10.25%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2022, 07:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default After paying their dues, should hobbyists who committed fraud be allowed back ?

I was chatting with some hobbyists last night at dinner., (go figure). The subject came up about letting hobbyists, convicted or fraud in the hobby, be on Net54baseball. I have mixed feelings on it but want to get the forum's ideas. These are people who have already paid their debt to society for what they did. I, for one, definitely believe in 2nd chances but crime within the hobby isn't black and white to me. There have been a few hobbyists denied in the past...
What say ye?

Last edited by Leon; 11-11-2022 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:43 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Unfortunately I believe yes, they should be allowed, if they have "paid their debt" . However if someone is currently engaged in nefarious activity, of course the answer is no. This is a tough one and glad I don't have to make the choice.

Leon, great site and many thanks for your wise moderation.

Thomas
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 11-05-2022, 07:44 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Is there a way to admit them to the forum without BST privileges? If there is, I'm ok with it, but otherwise I'd rather not have them.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:47 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Absolutely not. Similar to the way an individual in say the finance industry is barred from practicing again after conviction and completion of sentence and/or payment of a fine.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 11-06-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
Is there a way to admit them to the forum without BST privileges? If there is, I'm ok with it, but otherwise I'd rather not have them.
For practical purposes lets say there is not a way to do this...
Old 11-05-2022, 07:53 AM
P@trick R.omolo

No not if they committed fraud in the hobby, we've seen more than one person on here say that they were sorry for what they did after they got caught and turn around and do it again.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:58 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I'm good with a second chance, but only one. Screw up again and you become radioactive.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:07 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
No not if they committed fraud in the hobby, we've seen more than one person on here say that they were sorry for what they did after they got caught and turn around and do it again.
So, if they've paid their debt, there is no acceptance? What, then, is the purpose of paying one's debt?

I say yes, if they were caught, convicted and incarcerated or otherwise served out whatever punishment as a result of judge or jury.

If we engage in speculation that someone is guilty of this or that, based on our own circumstantial evidence, that is different, and the owner/moderator should make the final decision.

If they are incorrigible, repeat offenders, then the answer should clearly be no.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-05-2022, 08:09 AM
Scott Russell

As I get older I see more shades of gray than I used to. 10 years ago it would've been "absolutely not." Now I personally know one person I would make an exception for. Of course the more details of the story I've heard, the more I think (and he's never said this himself) that he got set up and screwed over.

Of course if part of their sentencing was that they are never allowed to go into business in the hobby again that might be a different story.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 11-05-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:20 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Nope. Why would anyone want to associate with someone who has defrauded the industry we are all involved in?
Old 11-05-2022, 08:20 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

The best way to be aware of fraud is to be taught by a fraudster. But I’d put them on a very, very, very, very, very short lease.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
So, if they've paid their debt, there is no acceptance? What, then, is the purpose of paying one's debt?
To fulfill their obligation in the eyes of the law.

Some people will obviously still be wary of recidivism. That can't be blamed.

I remember a recorded jailhouse phone call with one fellow most of us are familiar with. Once his time was served, he stated that he would come back bigger and stronger than ever. While that may be doubtful, would anyone wish to give such a person that opportunity within the confines of this forum? I know how I feel about it.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 11-05-2022 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:44 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

I don't think you have to worry. Anyone in this hobby who's actually dumb enough to have been convicted probably can't read anyway.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:49 AM
Seabr.en Re.eves

It depends on the scope of the incident by the bad actor, so suggest is taken up on a case by case basis. Maybe via a small governance or review committee. But generally say no, yet hold: 'Once is an outlier, twice is a trend.'

Last edited by brunswickreeves; 11-05-2022 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
I don't think you have to worry. Anyone in this hobby who's actually dumb enough to have been convicted probably can't read anyway.
You haven't been around the hobby very long then. I think smart, good people can make mistakes and atone for them. As far as them being on the forum, I want to see what others think. All comments and votes are welcomed.

and a card....of a black sox
Buck was never reintstated.....
Old 11-05-2022, 09:03 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
For practical purposes lets say there is not a way to do this...
If it includes BST, please no. Free speech grounds I get, but the BST is a nice and safe place right now that doesn’t need a bunch of fraudsters thrown in to destroy it and rip a bunch of good people off.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:09 AM
John

I mean anyone not registered can still see posts on the site and be "involved" in that sense just not respond to posts or part B/S/T? I'm comfortable with that.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:18 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

One of the things I enjoy most about this forum is the trust that is built between members here, I find the vast majority of folks here tend to have a strong moral character and integrity, characteristics that are built over time and can't be switched on and off like a lightbulb.

A large part of that is due to your vigilant moderation Leon, thank you for that.

There's a lot to be said for 2nd chances, we've probably all needed one at some point in our life, and I do believe as long as you're honest and remorseful there is a way to build back trust.
The answer is certainly not black and white but I trust your judgement. I just wouldn't want the hard earned trust we have with each other to be eroded.

I would ask this;

What if a current member here was a victim of the convicted fraudster? Would part of his inclusion be predicated on some form of restitution for that member?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 11-05-2022, 09:21 AM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

I feel like Net54 is supposed to be for true fans of the hobby. I don’t see how one that committed fraud in the hobby can be a true fan. How can you intentionally damage the hobby if you have any respect for it?

Also, i am not sure our justice system really meters out penalties that match the harm caused. As a society, obviously there are tradeoffs to what is prosecuted and to what extent in an effort to keep society safe. Unfortunately, these tradeoffs often mean that major breaches of trust in the hobby are given a slap on the wrist, at best. If you commit tax fraud, you may live a life of indentured servitude to make things right. If you counterfeit or trim $2 million in collectables, you might spend 30 days in jail and have to pay back a small fraction of what you stole. Let’s face it, for every $1000 in counterfeit cards that is discovered and provable by a prosecutor, there were likely 5-20x that amount actually sold by the fraudster.

It is bad enough that there are 100s of unidentified criminals to navigate in this hobby. Why let the known wolves back into the chicken coup? Like the old adage goes: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:26 AM

agree on BST privileges, think that should be earned versus just handed out.

but if you can't restrict that, is there a way to add a tag to these people, so we know who they are? not scarlet letter levels, but certainly good to know who you're buying from or selling to.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:26 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Lots of gray areas with this one. If you are going to say no, where do you draw the line? Are we talking just convicted in a court of law (Mastro) or convicted by public opinion (PWCC)? What about those caught committing a crime at a young age and are generally now considered to be among the most trustworthy (Lifson)? How about those that have used the courts to avoid paying debts through bankruptcy (Goldin)?
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 11-05-2022, 09:47 AM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Absolutely not. Similar to the way an individual in say the finance industry is barred from practicing again after conviction and completion of sentance and/or payment of a fine.
My thoughts exactly. I have a friend I've known since college who was convicted of participation in some sort of loan kickback scheme. He served some (easy) time and then got his second chance but he's not allowed to work in the finance/banking industry.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:53 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:

I say yes, if they were caught, convicted and incarcerated or otherwise served out whatever punishment as a result of judge or jury.

If we engage in speculation that someone is guilty of this or that, based on our own circumstantial evidence, that is different, and the owner/moderator should make the final decision.

If they are incorrigible, repeat offenders, then the answer should clearly be no.

Well Leon asked about someone that was convicted of fraud in the hobby and there are different types of second chances if you had an employee steal money from you would you give them a second chance to work for you or if someone screwed you in a card sale would you buy from them or sell to them again?
Old 11-05-2022, 10:05 AM
J@mes In.gram

This comes up all the time, not just net54. All the holiers than thou have opinions on this. What constitutes paying one's debt that squares things in their eyes? Can it even be done? Should a convicted felon who has by all accounts paid his debt to society be allowed to vote?

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-05-2022, 10:06 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Well Leon asked about someone that was convicted of fraud in the hobby and there are different types of second chances if you had an employee steal money from you would you give them a second chance to work for you or if someone screwed you in a card sale would you buy from them or sell to them again?
When you look at all the stuff Blowout has brought to light, and how little has been done in terms of actual arrests, it seems to me it would have to be a very big, very obvious and deliberate offense, to actually be charged and then convicted.

So, we're not talking about a guy who just trimmed a card or two, or swatted a few baseballs to add "game use" to a GU bat. We're talking about very egregious behavior - reported, investigated, arrested, tried, convicted.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:12 AM
Ben North

My vote is to let them or anybody else that wants to join, join. If they do something wrong then ban them or maybe not depending on who they are.

I did notice easily 100s of new members this morning that might need to be banned. It was like new accounts popping up every few seconds.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:12 AM

Might as well be a case by case basis. Some crimes are huge and some are minor. Some are forgivable and some not.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:14 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
When you look at all the stuff Blowout has brought to light, and how little has been done in terms of actual arrests, it seems to me it would have to be a very big, very obvious and deliberate offense, to actually be charged and then convicted.

So, we're not talking about a guy who just trimmed a card or two, or swatted a few baseballs to add "game use" to a GU bat. We're talking about very egregious behavior - reported, investigated, arrested, tried, convicted.
My answer is still no in regards to these people too if there is strong enough evidence. I only pointed out the convicted part in my reply to James because that's what Leon stated.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:17 AM

No. I doubt any of them paid all the restitution for all of their crimes. Probably just the one where they got caught.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There are a hundred or more fake registrations trying to get in, per day. They get snagged and eventually deleted. Of course a few scammers have gotten in but we have beaten that horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
My vote is to let them or anybody else that wants to join, join. If they do something wrong then ban them or maybe not depending on who they are.

I did notice easily 100s of new members this morning that might need to be banned. It was like new accounts popping up every few seconds.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:23 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Hi Leon:

Thanks for raising this question, as I think it's worthy of some introspection and calm deliberation as we evaluate the best approach to take here. And while I am still a bit of a n00b around these parts, hopefully my opinion counts as something north of nothing, although others can debate just how big the spread should be there.

When I was a younger man, I would have encouraged you to go full old testament on them. Full lifetime ban, and erase them from existence. Now that I'm a little bit more of a seasoned chap, I'm inclined to be a bit less old testament, as I've learned that I need grace as much as the next fellow, and I'm grateful that death is no longer the punishment for even the most minor infractions.

At the same time, I am a big believer that all things should be done in wisdom and in order. Doing nothing seems like it could be a recipe for disaster, as acts of recidivism have the potential to harm those around us again, particularly if they are not familiar with the past indiscretions, high crimes, and misdemeanors against the hobby.

As an accountant, I’ve always found that a bit of disclosure is a helpful approach, as it is often short of more draconian censures, and yet still a lot more than nothing. I wonder if there might be some ability to disclose to the reader that the poster in question has been guilty in the past of misconduct in the industry. At the risk of going full Nathanial Hawthorne, maybe a big “F” for fraudster somewhere in their handle and/or in the footers to their posts? While still incredibly embarrassing and ignominious, this would at least allow the perpetrator an opportunity to move amongst us and participate in discussions, while still allowing the unsuspecting and trusting of us to be on notice about who we are dealing with.

Just an idea! And perhaps something that the technology might render difficult to address. But perhaps an option that walks the line between all or nothing.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 11-05-2022, 10:31 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
This comes up all the time, not just net54. All the holiers than thou have opinions on this. What constitutes paying one's debt that squares things in their eyes? Can it even be done? Should a convicted felon who has by all accounts paid his debt to society be allowed to vote?
It’s not a court of law. We can choose to associate or not with people who scam us. It seems clear to me. I don’t deal with scammers and fraudsters, convicted or unconvicted(the vast majority). It seems a common sense policy to avoid headaches and getting robbed.

I get a free speech argument that even the most detestable should be allowed to speak. I don’t disagree with it, if there was a rule that speech of any kind is allowed and anyone may speak. Letting more scammers into the BST seems to be an unnecessary disaster to create though.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:33 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Would you buy a card listed on B/S/T section of our beloved Net 54 from Bill Mastro? Bill has paid his legal dues but many hobbyists have long memories.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:56 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Would you buy a card listed on B/S/T section of our beloved Net 54 from Bill Mastro? Bill has paid his legal dues but many hobbyists have long memories.
If priced correctly there would be a line around the block to buy from Mr Mastro or any other seller.

One of my favorite conversations I have had many times over the years goes something like this.

Do you know who this eBay seller is?

Me: yes that is ----.

OH, I didn't know that was his account. He has a card I want.

Me: Is it one of the obviously altered cards he has listed?

No, I think I will buy it and hope I don't see any problems with the card when I get it.

Me: Good luck you know he throws a hissy fit when someone tries to return one of his altered cards.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
If priced correctly there would be a line around the block to buy from Mr Mastro or any other seller.

One of my favorite conversations I have had many times over the years goes something like this.

Do you know who this eBay seller is?

Me: yes that is ----.

OH, I didn't know that was his account. He has a card I want.

Me: Is it one of the obviously altered cards he has listed?

No, I think I will buy it and hope I don't see any problems with the card when I get it.

Me: Good luck you know he throws a hissy fit when someone tries to return one of his altered cards.
Stuff
trumps
all

In a hobby where elite card doctors and their enablers are in positions of power and influence, and we see endless threads praising them, the purported concern about associating with fraudsters seems a bit inconsistent.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-05-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:20 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Leon,

It all comes down to you in the end. I am new here and do not know a lot of the background of who has cheated the collector and their membership here.

My personal opinion is no. Once a cheater always a cheater. Pretty harsh, I am sure but you did ask.

Regards,

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:24 AM
Brandon Bailey

No
Old 11-05-2022, 11:25 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Absolutely, and I wish Bill and his family nothing but the best!
Old 11-05-2022, 11:25 AM
Bob Hamlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I'm good with a second chance, but only one. Screw up again and you become radioactive.
I agree 100% with Jay
Old 11-05-2022, 11:43 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

This is a difficult coin flip.

On one hand if people choose to use that knowledge for good and expose other fraudsters and contribute to the good of the hobby in the future, it can help our knowledge base.

Also, a second chance has helped many move on to great heights and I would appreciate it myself if I found myself in an issue due to an extreme circumstance.

The other would be those back on to do more trouble, take advantage of knowledge to advance dark skills, or have access to remove prior posts about their crimes.

I guess in the end, I agree with a second chance…not a third.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:49 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

To me, it depends on the person. If they are truly remorseful, then yes. If they refuse to take responsibility, blame others, etc, then no.

Everyone makes mistakes.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Stuff
trumps
all
Only
If
You
Let
It
Old 11-05-2022, 11:51 AM
Danny Gr|mes

No. I would like to say yes as everyone deserves a second chance, but what purpose would they serve? Limited to chat but no b/s/t makes no sense and to help broaden our defenses on scams/cons/counterfeits etc I think we are well covered with all of our experience. I say let it be

Last edited by refz; 11-05-2022 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:17 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
To me, it depends on the person. If they are truly remorseful, then yes. If they refuse to take responsibility, blame others, etc, then no.

Everyone makes mistakes.
I like this…”remorseful”

Story time…

10+ years ago I was selling on eBay to fund my life during my first cancer surgery. I must have had at least 50-100 listings up at the time. One unknowingly to me as I really did not know, was a forged Mantle signature. The only autoed item in 100 listings. Obviously, I was not an autograph seller.

That listing was posted on the board and I was called out as a scammer, forger and just about everything possible by numerous well known members. I don’t take it personally because I knew jack shit about autos at the time (I’ve gained a little over the past 13 years but still have only a starting base).

What didn’t happen was one person sending me a message on eBay to inform me, I saw the post almost a decade later searching my ID. The true backstory is that I sold it, the seller found it fake and I refunded the entire amount with an apology. Well before eBay required refunds. Lesson learned, happy buyer and I was remorseful for selling a bad item.

However, if you google search my 5000+ Feedback and 100% positive eBay ID, I sell forgeries. So, yes…I like second chances. ( I know many of those we talk about were convicted of actual crimes, but not all.)

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 11-05-2022 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Correction to my time frame
Old 11-05-2022, 12:18 PM
Bob C.

This is likely to get a lot of divided, and possibly interesting (ie: extreme), answers. There was a thread back right after it came out about how CSG had agreed to partner with PWCC in providing PWCC customers with preferred/preferential grading services. And even though as has already been mentioned in this thread, PWCC has not ever been formally convicted or found guilty of any actual hobby theft or fraud, let alone ever even actually being formally charged with any crime, yet there were people posting in that earlier thread that were more or less accusing, judging, and sentencing CSG as being just as guilty as they felt PWCC was. And as a result, stated they would not do business with CSG, and more or less seemed to be urging others to do the same and avoid using them as well. All to basically punish CSG for daring to do business with PWCC.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten an even more resounding and emphatic NO vote in the poll based on that type of logic and thinking among members on here. Also found it somewhat amusing that those same people who were so quick to condemn CSG through nothing more than guilt by association haven't dared (apparently) to utter a single word about how CSG is now a prominent advertiser here on Net54. They were so against CSG and refusing to use them as a result, I'm a bit surprised they haven't likewise quit being on Net54 since it is now advertising for them. Guilt by association, right? Funny how some people can turn their dislike and prejudice off or on, when they like and in whichever way best suites them at the time.

Last edited by BobC; 11-05-2022 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:25 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
This is likely to get a lot of divided, and possibly interesting (ie: extreme), answers. There was a thread back right after it came out about how CSG had agreed to partner with PWCC in providing PWCC customers with preferred/preferential grading services. And even though as has already been mentioned in this thread, PWCC has not ever been formally convicted or found guilty of any actual hobby theft or fraud, let alone ever even actually being formally charged with any crime, yet there were people posting in that earlier thread that were more or less accusing, judging, and sentencing CSG as being just as guilty as they felt PWCC was. And as a result, stated they would not do business with CSG, and more or less seemed to be urging others to do the same and avoid using them as well. All to basically punish CSG for daring to do business with PWCC.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten an even more resounding and emphatic NO vote in the poll based on that type of logic and thinking among members on here. Also found it somewhat amusing that those same people who were so quick to condemn CSG through nothing more than guilt by association haven't dared (apparently) to utter a single word about how CSG is now a prominent advertiser here on Net54. They were so against CSG and refusing to use them as a result, I'm a bit surprised they haven't likewise quit being on Net54 since it is now advertising for them. Funny how people can turn their dislike and prejudice off or on, when they like and in whichever way best suites them at the time.
To the part I made bold. LOL, you have to take those type of claims with a grain of salt. Most are completely full it BS and still deal with Brent and all the others they call out as scammers anytime they can get a good deal.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:32 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

I'm in the No camp. Everyone deserves a second chance in society. However, this is not general society. It's a private community.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:32 PM
rgpete

No “I trust everyone. I just don’t trust the devil inside them.”
Quote by Troy Kennedy Martin
Old 11-05-2022, 12:33 PM

No. There are plenty of other venues for those folks to participate in the hobby. Doesn't have to be here

PreWar NYAL cards, photos, etc.
WantList: Mendelsohns Marsans; Rose 760PC Niles; Koester Mitchell; Koester Ferguson;1924 Diaz Roettger
Successful deals with 60+ board members
Old 11-05-2022, 12:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Hobby-related cheats, frauds, etc., resounding NO!!! Like betting on baseball and being DQ'd for life. I give zero cred to the opinions or perspectives of shillers, card doctors, internet fraudsters, etc. As my grandmother would have said "f*** them and the horses they rode in on." Salty broad, the old lady.

A little perspective also, guys. We aren't talking life or liberty here, we are talking about participating on a sports collectibles chat board. It is a voluntary association of hobbyists. There are plenty of other chats where no one will bother to screen out the Doug Allens of the world. We can do better. Not having engaged in blatant fraud against your fellow hobbyists is not a high bar to meet.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-05-2022 at 01:00 PM.