NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-28-2021, 12:19 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Default Sports Card DAO

Not sure how many are familiar with the concept of DAO(Decentralized Autonomous Organizations) but they are basically a group chat with a bank account that uses the blockchain for transparency. Recently a group crated a DAO and raised 47 Million to bid on the US constitution. DAO’s allow people who buy tokens to be able to vote on the actions of the group without a hierarchy or traditional management model. Everyone has a voice and reaps the rewards.
Anyone here interested in starting a Sports card DAO to create a basket of high end vintage cards as a fractional investment?
Basically the way Rally and Collectible work but the owners of the DAO are everyone who invests and not a central person controlling a company.
Here’s a couple of Articles on DAO’s and the potential benefits.

https://www.macobserver.com/link/what-is-a-dao/

https://www.ft.com/content/c4b6d38d-...c-7b5cf8f0cea6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2021, 12:45 PM
J@E R1T0

An interesting concept. I'd like to think about this a bit before responding. I'm slightly intrigued...

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:31 PM
Se@n Kel.ly

Respectfully, that is the last thing I would ever invest in. I understand enough about crypto and blockchain to know it’s a con, and I don’t want any part of it.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:46 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
Respectfully, that is the last thing I would ever invest in. I understand enough about crypto and blockchain to know it’s a con, and I don’t want any part of it.

Lol ok

Old 12-28-2021, 01:48 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
An interesting concept. I'd like to think about this a bit before responding. I'm slightly intrigued...

I’m still doing my research on it as well. Fractional ownership has always intrigued me but I was never comfortable with the concept of a company having the final say without transparency. What I like about DAO’s is that the community has the authority in what to do with the investment and there’s full transparency with the blockchain records.
Still early days on DAO’s but so many exciting possibility’s with the technology.

Old 12-28-2021, 02:25 PM
Randy

easy pass for me
Old 12-28-2021, 02:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default No crypto for me

This has to do with the block chain. I am not a crypto person. IF that is what folks want to do, more power to them. Have fun. I like my cards in hand...
Old 12-28-2021, 03:03 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

So without a central entity in charge, who takes physical possession of the asset? Who is responsible for up keep and handling (i.e. insurance, handling sales, organizing owners wishes, proposing when to sell, etc)? Maybe I'm missing something or just don't understand the relationship between the physical and electronic tracking, but seems like it would be an easy way for someone to just disappear with the items.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 12-28-2021, 03:11 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
So without a central entity in charge, who takes physical possession of the asset? Who is responsible for up keep and handling (i.e. insurance, handling sales, organizing owners wishes, proposing when to sell, etc)? Maybe I'm missing something or just don't understand the relationship between the physical and electronic tracking, but seems like it would be an easy way for someone to just disappear with the items.

The practice would be to propose and vote on this using the community discord based on the proposals made within the group. Everything is put to a vote and all members vote based on the rules set out in the terms of reference. In theory it’s a complete transparent democracy which is what makes it attractive because the owners have the power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2021, 03:12 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This has to do with the block chain. I am not a crypto person. IF that is what folks want to do, more power to them. Have fun. I like my cards in hand...

As a hobbyist, I also like to have cards in hand. As an investor, I’ve seen the returns over time of high end blue chip vintage cards and it’s a great alternative asset to have as part of ur overall investment portfolio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2021, 10:11 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I was wondering the same thing.

How does someone "buy in" to this? Does this require the potential investor to have a source of crypto currency to obtain the shares of the card board block chain? How does someone "cash out"? The assumption would be that the payout would be in some type of crypto currency. If, for example, you paid in Bitcoin to enter, would you get paid back in Bitcoin when you decided to sell or would the seller have to accept any crypto currency currently being traded in the crypto market, for example Dogecoin.

If played correctly, the person that starts this anonymous chain could say they own a card (which is physical) and not really own it. Is that a possibility?

Sounds like a possible card board Ponzi scheme.

Please, by all means, educate me on this - I'm an ignorant naysayer that could use a little more understanding of this potential investment vehicle.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:22 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post

How does someone "buy in" to this? Does this require the potential investor to have a source of crypto currency to obtain the shares of the card board block chain? How does someone "cash out"? The assumption would be that the payout would be in some type of crypto currency. If, for example, you paid in Bitcoin to enter, would you get paid back in Bitcoin when you decided to sell or would the seller have to accept any crypto currency currently being traded in the crypto market, for example Dogecoin.

If played correctly, the person that starts this anonymous chain could say they own a card (which is physical) and not really own it. Is that a possibility?

Please, by all means, educate me on this - I'm an ignorant naysayer that could use a little more understanding of this potential investment vehicle.
Will there be an open marketplace where buyers and sellers can easily buy and sell their fractional shares? It is too complicated for my simple brain, so I will pass.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:29 AM
A.J. Johnson

Even though the DAO for the constitution didn't pan out (they publicized their top bid allowing for an easy snipe), I think we'll see many more of these in the future. The blockchain has so much potential for diversified investment (including NFT's where artists can monetize works without middlemen). I haven't participated in any Collectable offerings but they have had a bunch of successful deals. As a collector, I too like to have my preciouses in hand so I can gollum over them but can see a place to have a fractional ownership/investment in certain big historical/expensive pieces.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 12-29-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Will there be an open marketplace where buyers and sellers can easily buy and sell their fractional shares? It is too complicated for my simple brain, so I will pass.
And having the brain I have, I wonder about visitation rights, and whether conjugal visits will be on the table.

Brian
Old 12-29-2021, 11:23 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
John, did you really mean to say:

"An open marketplace where buyers and sellers can easily buy and sell their fractional shares, will there be? Too complicated for my simple brain, it is, So I will pass."
Old 12-29-2021, 11:28 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Even though the DAO for the constitution didn't pan out (they publicized their top bid allowing for an easy snipe), I think we'll see many more of these in the future.

LOL, auction houses wish everybody would publicize their top bids. That was basically a $20 million shill bid.

I can't possibly see how this could be taken advantage of.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:06 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:

Good questions!
With a DAO, you "buy in" with the token thats offered which may be in the form of a coin or even an NFT. This gives you voting power 1 token = 1 vote.

There is no "owner" as everyone who owns tokens are considered owners and every proposal is voted on with the results recorded on the smart contract on the blockchain which are transparent and unalterable. The group decides by vote what to buy and when to sell and how the profits would be paid out to coin holders. The group also decides how to procure and where to store the item through proposals and votes. The idea is that proposals are put forward and they are voted on by all the token holders.

To put it simply, this is the exact model Collectible(the fractional ownership platform) is currently using but instead of the owners of Collectible running the show, this is the cooperative effort of all the participants deciding what to do using the transparency of the blockchain.

Some more info on hows DAO's work
https://consensys.net/blog/blockchai...-do-they-work/
Old 12-29-2021, 01:17 PM

I know everyone loves PWCC, couldn't you pair this with their vault?
Old 12-29-2021, 02:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Good questions!
With a DAO, you "buy in" with the token thats offered which may be in the form of a coin or even an NFT. This gives you voting power 1 token = 1 vote.

There is no "owner" as everyone who owns tokens are considered owners and every proposal is voted on with the results recorded on the smart contract on the blockchain which are transparent and unalterable. The group decides by vote what to buy and when to sell and how the profits would be paid out to coin holders. The group also decides how to procure and where to store the item through proposals and votes. The idea is that proposals are put forward and they are voted on by all the token holders.

To put it simply, this is the exact model Collectible(the fractional ownership platform) is currently using but instead of the owners of Collectible running the show, this is the cooperative effort of all the participants deciding what to do using the transparency of the blockchain.

It may work for some but this is just not the way I see me going. I value real live things. Have you ever tried to flip a Non Fungible Token?

Old 12-29-2021, 02:50 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I see some major potential problems, but I'm interested to learn more.

Can you lay out the scenario a bit further that you have in mind? People get together and a create a "basket" of vintage cards, and then what? How would people make money, and why would it be better than operating individually with actual cards?
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 12-29-2021, 03:08 PM
Jim B.

Just sounds like another modern headache. "I wouldn't touch that with a thirty nine and a half foot pole." - Dr. Seuss

Last edited by BabyRuth; 12-29-2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 03:19 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Cards View Post
I know everyone loves PWCC, couldn't you pair this with their vault?
This is what I figured. It sounds interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-29-2021, 03:29 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Good questions!

The article explanation sounds like a mutual fund. Contracts lay out the rules, I join by giving my money for a share, and I receive voting rights to vote for a manager. There are incentives in a mutual fund to be a part of it. Obviously there are slight differences, but with the contract there are legal ramifications. What lawyer among Net54 members would set up the contract?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-29-2021, 03:39 PM
Doug Goodman

I wish all of you who "invest" a happy new year.

Doug
Old 12-29-2021, 04:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

The US Constitution is for sale??

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
For only 43M

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/us...ale/index.html

Old 12-29-2021, 04:23 PM
Bob C.

Why does this have to involve a blockchain? You could simply form an LLC and have people put in cash and vote on what they want done and what/when to buy and sell.

Personally, if I own some collectible, I'd want to actually have and hold it in my personal collection, not say to someone I own .000001% of say a T206 Wagner, and then just show them an online image of one I can claim to own a piece of. That isn't collecting, that is investing. And quite frankly, given all the drama and known issues in this hobby, especially the allegations and rumors surrounding many of the dealers, AHs, TPGs, and card doctors/restorers that work in and around it, I'm not so sure this is the proper vehicle to use and rely on for long term investment purposes for most people.

The investment/stock markets are protected by specific laws, and groups like the SEC. Advisors and sellers of typical investment products (stocks, bonds, etc.) generally have to be trained, licensed and are subject to independent oversight. They all have to abide by similar rules and standards that they do not simply decide upon and set themselves. Even the opinions given on a publicly traded company's financial statements can only be rendered by completely independent CPAs/CPA firms, using a single, unique set of established standards that ALL CPAs and CPA firms have to explicitly follow, all CPAs must engage in ongoing professional education every year to maintain their licenses, and also every CPA firm rendering such opinions must allow others from the industry to periodically come in and review their records, systems, and work to ensure they are abiding by the strict rules and standards set for them to render their opinions. Meanwhile, try going and asking a TPG why in their opinion your card only got a 3 instead of a 4 grade, or why one TPG's opinion on a card can be so different from another's. You can't get TPGs to consistently agree to one set of grading standards among themselves, and exactly what training and education do TPG graders even have to go through? And the value of investments, such as stocks, should be based solely on the attributes and financials of the underlying company who's shares are being bought and sold, not also somewhat affected by or even partially dependent upon which CPA firm rendered an opinion on that company's financial statement. So if we are going to be forced to treat cards like investments, shouldn't their value also be based solely on the underlying attributes and condition of the cards, and not affected whatsoever by which TPG graded and rendered an opinion on them? That makes sense to me!

So, it would also seem to me that if we are really going to have our hobby turned into an investment vehicle, whether we like/want it or not, we should start making sure that more appropriate rules, regulations, consistent standards, and oversight of those in and servicing are hobby....errr, investment industry, are being enacted and put in place. Otherwise, we're all just potential marks to be taken advantage of at some point by those that seem to be currently controlling and running our hobby. But honestly, it is probably way too late for the actual collectors/hobbyists to have any hopes of ever reigning in the individuals and companies currently controlling and running things, and simply more interested in lining their pockets. One can always hope though...............
Old 12-29-2021, 04:26 PM
Dave

Quote:

A copy of......this ain't a Nic Cage movie.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:26 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Aren't pretty much all politicians for sale? So why not the Constitution?
Old 12-29-2021, 04:34 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Aren't pretty much all politicians for sale? So why not the Constitution?
Because the writers envisioned something different for the future, and it isn't the pile of dog turds in government today, that's why not the Constitution.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 12-29-2021, 04:40 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Because the writers envisioned something different for the future, and it isn't the pile of dog turds in government today, that's why not the Constitution.
I was joking, at least about my second question.....did you not see the smiley face?
Old 12-29-2021, 04:49 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

I can’t think of much else I’d want to do less than something like this.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
I can’t think of much else I’d want to do less than something like this.
Yah, what could possibly go wrong in a sportscard buying syndicate?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:13 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

If fractional shares can be had for less based on OC, PD and ST qualifiers attached to them, then I am in!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:40 PM
Chase

So I get the part where we all get the privilege of paying for fractional ownership but as has been asked numerous times, which of the fractional owners takes possession of the card? If there is truly no central person or persons controlling the company who takes possession and assures the safety of the card?

Seems very sketchy to me and fraught with potential for threats of litigation but at the least lots of disagreements and disappointments. Hard enough to be in accord with a spouse imagine how many disgruntled owners there will be in situation like this?
Old 12-29-2021, 05:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
So I get the part where we all get the privilege of paying for fractional ownership but as has been asked numerous times, which of the fractional owners takes possession of the card? If there is truly no central person or persons controlling the company who takes possession and assures the safety of the card?

Seems very sketchy to me and fraught with potential for threats of litigation but at the least lots of disagreements and disappointments. Hard enough to be in accord with a spouse imagine how many disgruntled owners there will be in situation like this?
Who decides what to buy and what to pay, or when and what to sell, and through what venue, and for how much? I wouldn't be comfortable delegating all that control to someone and at the same time if everyone votes on everything it would seem unworkable.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:59 PM
Fred

Quote:
Yah, what could possibly go wrong in a sportscard buying syndicate?
laughing all the way...!

Peter - I think the idea is to have liquidity for the fractional ownership. You can buy/sell the fractional ownership but the goal is to make sure you're not the last group holding the fractional ownership if/when the cardboard Ponzi scheme collapses.

Ok, I shouldn't call it a cardboard Ponzi scheme because I'm ignorant to the innerworkings of this type of "investment". However, I don't want any part of it unless I'm on the ground floor when the fractional ownership is being purchased so that I can sell my fractional shares at a profit and can spend those profits on cardboard that I can hold in my hands. Either that or be voted the dude that holds on to the asset.

Last edited by Fred; 12-29-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:29 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
It may work for some but this is just not the way I see me going. I value real live things. Have you ever tried to flip a Non Fungible Token?

I did quite well with nba top shot last year. I knew it was a speculative bubble and sold high before it all crashed

Old 12-29-2021, 06:33 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I see some major potential problems, but I'm interested to learn more.

Can you lay out the scenario a bit further that you have in mind? People get together and a create a "basket" of vintage cards, and then what? How would people make money, and why would it be better than operating individually with actual cards?

Much like the other fractional platforms, the group would vote on what to buy and when to sell and the profits could either be put into the treasury to buy more cards/memorabilia or distributed as dividends to the groups all based on what is decided by the voting process .

Old 12-29-2021, 06:45 PM
Fred

For clarification:

If the price of the asset increases, does the price of the "token" increase with the asset increase?

The assumption is that the "token" can be purchased or sold at anytime and the value of the "token" is set by the voting "token" holders. Is that correct?

How long does it typically take to buy/sell a token? An assumption is that there needs to be a "market" (buyers/sellers) of the "token" in order to transact and if there is nobody willing to purchase the "token", then you're just stuck with it. Is that about right?
Old 12-29-2021, 06:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Much like the other fractional platforms, the group would vote on what to buy and when to sell and the profits could either be put into the treasury to buy more cards/memorabilia or distributed as dividends to the groups all based on what is decided by the voting process .

So under that structure, why would I trust my money to the collective (or majority) wisdom of this group? Presumably it would attract people with substantial means but having a lot of money doesn't guarantee anything about being a good card investor.

PS wasn't Evan Mathis involved in some venture like this except with more centralized decisionmaking?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-29-2021 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:51 PM
J@mes In.gram

What a total bunch of BS baloney.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 12-29-2021, 06:52 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
What a total bunch of BS baloney.

Ok

Old 12-29-2021, 06:54 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Default Sports Card DAO

Quote:
So under that structure, why would I trust my money to the collective (or majority) wisdom of this group? Presumably it would attract people with substantial means but having a lot of money doesn't guarantee anything about being a good card investor.

PS wasn't Evan Mathis involved in some venture like this except with more centralized decisionmaking?

No guarantees with any investment and if someone does give u a guarantee u gotta run lol. The idea with this is that the collective are smart investors. For example a sports card DAO can be done on an invite only basis to high end collectors to make sure that there is good decision making vs opening it to the general public

Not sure which one Mathis was involved but there are a few centralized ones right now that don’t have any transparency

Last edited by maniac_73; 12-29-2021 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:58 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
For clarification:

If the price of the asset increases, does the price of the "token" increase with the asset increase?

The assumption is that the "token" can be purchased or sold at anytime and the value of the "token" is set by the voting "token" holders. Is that correct?

How long does it typically take to buy/sell a token? An assumption is that there needs to be a "market" (buyers/sellers) of the "token" in order to transact and if there is nobody willing to purchase the "token", then you're just stuck with it. Is that about right?

Pretty much correct except the value of the token is set by the market and how much someone is willing to pay. If the DAO takes off and has a great portfolio, theoretically the value should go up.
This is assuming it’s a public DAO. If it’s a private DAO that’s invite only, the collective decides on the rules of how/when tokens can be resold

Old 12-29-2021, 07:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
No guarantees with any investment and if someone does give u a guarantee u gotta run lol. The idea with this is that the collective are smart investors. For example a sports card DAO can be done on an invite only basis to high end collectors to make sure that there is good decision making vs opening it to the general public

Not sure which one Mathis was involved but there are a few centralized ones right now that don’t have any transparency

I can imagine though that a group of high powered guys would not easily come to a consensus. And I don't know how many transactions you're contemplating but it seems as a practical matter you wouldn't want too many, I mean are you going to convene a zoom call every time a catalogue comes out?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-29-2021 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:03 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Default Sports Card DAO

Quote:
I can imagine though that a group of high powered guys would not easily come to a consensus.

They wouldn’t have a choice. They vote on the proposals and if the proposal reaches a predetermined threshold also voted on the group during the governance process, it passes.
The debates before the vote would be interesting though. I’d pay just to be a fly on the wall in one of those.

All communication takes place on a Discord Server which is like a permanent chat room so you don’t need to set up a formal call.
When setting up a DAO, best practice dictates creating a terms of reference on how to create and put forward proposals and debate them before a formal vote.

Last edited by maniac_73; 12-29-2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I did quite well with nba top shot last year. I knew it was a speculative bubble and sold high before it all crashed

Flipping a card for any money isn't what I was referring to.
Google ..Flipping cards in the early 20th century..
Old 12-29-2021, 07:09 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Flipping a card for any money isn't what I was referring to.
Google ..Flipping cards in the early 20th century..

Oh Haha! I’m 41 I flipped as a kid lol

Old 12-29-2021, 07:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Out of my league, but DISCORD server seems an ironic name.

Interesting topic, I guess my principal concern would be I don't think having a lot of money always translates into investing wisdom in the card world; from what I've seen guys with a lot of money often just pay what it takes to win and are not very sophisticated or price savvy about it.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-29-2021 at 07:13 PM.