NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2021, 04:44 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default PWCC contract with SGC cancelled???

OK, let me preface this by saying I am NOT a graded collector nor know the ins and outs of grading and big time seller industry.

But a friend of mine who sends ungraded cards to PWCC just told me he talked to them today and PWCC told him PSA just bought SGC, and cancelled the contract PWCC has to get cards graded by SGC.

This does not sound legit to me. Does anyone have any info?

I don't want to start a bad rumor, but my friend is an attorney and this is the story I got directly from him.

My friend is put off because PWCC only sells graded cards he tells me, and he can't get his cards graded by PWCC through SGC and with the long wait for PSA they may be going to Beckett.

Does any of this make sense or is my friend getting a story from PWCC?
Old 07-07-2021, 04:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
OK, let me preface this by saying I am NOT a graded collector nor know the ins and outs of grading and big time seller industry.

But a friend of mine who sends ungraded cards to PWCC just told me he talked to them today and PWCC told him PSA just bought SGC, and cancelled the contract PWCC has to get cards graded by SGC.

This does not sound legit to me. Does anyone have any info?

I don't want to start a bad rumor, but my friend is an attorney and this is the story I got directly from him.

My friend is put off because PWCC only sells graded cards he tells me, and he can't get his cards graded by PWCC through SGC and with the long wait for PSA they may be going to Beckett.

Does any of this make sense or is my friend getting a story from PWCC?
I have posted elsewhere I heard this was in the works although I was accused of fake news by the SGC faithful. It certainly would not surprise me, at all.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-07-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:05 PM
Scott Russell

I started hearing rumblings about this a little over a week ago.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-07-2021, 05:13 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

So, if true, I guess the big story here is PSA or their new parent company is buying SGC!

What does this mean for graded collectors? Especially those who specialized in SGC. Not to mention there were sets SGC would grade that PSA would not.

What happens to values of SGC graded cards?
Old 07-07-2021, 05:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
So, if true, I guess the big story here is PSA or their new parent company is buying SGC!

What does this mean for graded collectors? Especially those who specialized in SGC. Not to mention there were sets SGC would grade that PSA would not.

What happens to values of SGC graded cards?
If this all comes to pass part of the answer may depend on PSA's stance towards crossing, I would think.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:32 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I have posted elsewhere I heard this was in the works although I was accused of fake news by the SGC faithful. It certainly would not surprise me, at all.
Are You Kidding me ?? Oy Vey

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-07-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:33 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Conspiracy against the Black Apron.
This will not bode well for anybody except the puppeteers at the top.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-07-2021, 05:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Are You Kidding me ?? Oy Vey
I have no direct knowledge, but no I am not kidding at all, I have heard this from several sources. And it's certainly consistent with PSA ownership obviously having a strong mergers and acquisitions background, and having actively made acquisitions already, not to mention having a lot of money in general. And if you're Dave, and someone is offering you enough millions, why not take it?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-07-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:35 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

No monopolistic move with that purchase at all…..
Old 07-07-2021, 05:35 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
I have no direct knowledge, but no I am not kidding at all, I have heard this from several sources.
Unbelievable well..... 2021 in this Hobby Maybe Not. Wow
Old 07-07-2021, 05:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Conspiracy against the Black Apron.
This will not bode well for anybody except the puppeteers at the top.
That's often how these industry consolidations go.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
No monopolistic move with that purchase at all…..
They are already raising prices hugely with impunity. SGC is not a constraint on their pricing IMO.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:44 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Newport Beach Division and Boca Raton Division.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Newport Beach Division and Boca Raton Division.
PSA is grading 25K cards a DAY. I doubt SGC is even a small fraction of that.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:51 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

I like SGC, but I don’t see the threat to PSA, nor do I see any synergies in acquiring them. Completely different philosophy. I’ll believe it when I see it
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 07-07-2021, 06:15 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I guess everyone has their price……

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lgj3_W...Y24OYCMrncxrrc
Old 07-07-2021, 06:25 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
I guess everyone has their price……

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lgj3_W...Y24OYCMrncxrrc
this is certainly true.
one thing that SGC might bring to the table is capacity. they are the only grader who solved the bottleneck problem and invested in their own capacity. PSA might be a little worried about losing some business for making people wait a year for cards. If they acquire SGC they can probably cut their backlog in half. SGC has definitely mastered the grading process.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 07-07-2021, 06:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
this is certainly true.
one thing that SGC might bring to the table is capacity. they are the only grader who solved the bottleneck problem and invested in their own capacity. PSA might be a little worried about losing some business for making people wait a year for cards. If they acquire SGC they can probably cut their backlog in half. SGC has definitely mastered the grading process.
I admittedly haven't done a sophisticated analysis, but neither is this AT&T thinking about buying Sprint, or even PSA as public company needing shareholder approval, it's one very wealthy guy and his partners. If they can take out probably their best competitor for relatively little money by their standards, and acquire badly needed graders in the process, why not do it?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-07-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:39 PM
Jay Cee

Maybe there will be one registry for all graded cards if enough mergers/buyouts happen. This is one of the main reasons as a collector, I would never grade a card until it’s time to sell.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:44 PM
Johnny MaZilli

To me PSA is Arrogant enough to not honor SGC grades. Don’t put it past them.

God I hope this doesn’t happens, Dave Keep The Company Please.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:45 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

FWIW, I spoke to Brent and he said "We haven't sold to PSA. We are still our own entity".

-
Old 07-07-2021, 06:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
FWIW, I spoke to Brent and he said "We haven't sold to PSA. We are still our own entity".
Nobody suggested PSA had bought PWCC, did they?

Old 07-07-2021, 06:56 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Nobody suggested PSA had bought PWCC, did they?
I'm assuming that he was referring to Brent Martin.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 07-07-2021, 06:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadeast View Post
I took it a different way but was wrong

Last edited by Leon; 07-07-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadeast View Post
I see, not a name I knew. Phil did you ask him the follow up question, are there discussions?

Old 07-07-2021, 07:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
To me PSA is Arrogant enough to not honor SGC grades. Don’t put it past them.

God I hope this doesn’t happens, Dave Keep The Company Please.
But they make up for it by honoring their own when confronted with proof of alteration.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-07-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:13 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
I see, not a name I knew. Phil did you ask him the follow up question, are there discussions?
Yes, I was speaking of Brent Martin, I find it easier to just ask sometimes. I'm not really comfortable asking him follow up questions since it's not my business.

-
Old 07-07-2021, 07:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes, I was speaking of Brent Martin, I find it easier to just ask sometimes. I'm not really comfortable asking him follow up questions since it's not my business.
I hear you, and people not under oath often aren't truthful anyhow in my experience. Come to think of it, even under oath...

Old 07-07-2021, 07:29 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
I hear you, and people not under oath often aren't truthful anyhow in my experience. Come to think of it, even under oath...
Of course it should be taken with a grain of salt.

-
Old 07-07-2021, 07:38 PM
Justin

Should they merge in some way or sell outright perhaps they will make SGC the vintage card grader for Collectors universe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2021, 07:40 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Presumably, the transaction is larger enough that it will need to go through the HSR anti-trust review process at the Federal Trade Commission. Prior to HSR, both companies must continue to act independent and there are significant proscriptions against sharing certain types of information, as well as against the acquiring company directing the activities of the acquired company.

So, the statement above can be factually true, even if the deal has been agreed to by the parties.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
Presumably, the transaction is larger enough that it will need to go through the HSR anti-trust review process at the Federal Trade Commission. Prior to HSR, both companies must continue to act independent and there are significant proscriptions against sharing certain types of information, as well as against the acquiring company directing the activities of the acquired company.

So, the statement above can be factually true, even if the deal has been agreed to by the parties.
Brent used the word "still" maybe that was significant in context. I can't remember the HSR thresholds now, I'll have to look that up. They're fairly large though. I thought the transaction size had to be somewhere around $90 million.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-07-2021 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:46 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post

No doubt. I wanted to get some feedback from an SGC rep in case they want to make a larger statement here or on their website.

-
Old 07-08-2021, 05:43 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

I posed the question to Nats Turner on Twitter and he asked where I heard it so I directed him to this thread. Would be interested to see what he says.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:49 AM
Scott Russell

Interesting response by NT...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 07-08-2021, 07:13 AM

No it's not true. Big fan of Dave though

Last edited by natsturner; 07-08-2021 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:15 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

If true, I wonder if the Anti-Trust Dept. of the Justice Dept., now under new management, might like to review the deal.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

Good news for collectors that there is no deal. I am pleased to be wrong. It's interesting because this one went way beyond the usual hobby rumor mill or I would not have even mentioned it; I heard this from multiple well-placed and very credible sources.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-08-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:19 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Good news for collectors that there is no deal. I am pleased to be wrong. It's interesting because this one went way beyond the usual hobby rumor mill or I would not have even mentioned it; I heard this from multiple well-placed and very credible sources.
I agree very good news for collectors. Im glad PSA didn’t Buy SGC 👍🏻
Old 07-08-2021, 10:26 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

All the SGC guys on this forum are like ...

Old 07-08-2021, 10:37 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Damn, I was going to start selling SGC tuxedos, for PSA prices.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 07-08-2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:36 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Weird that we were hearing the same thing independently, at the same time.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:13 PM
Mike P.ap

Default :)

Quote:
Old 07-08-2021, 12:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

My best guess is that this talk did not come out of thin air, but that what happened is there were discussions but they did not result in a deal.

Mike, for the moment you're good.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-08-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:19 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Pete....

Quote:
My best guess is that this talk did not come out of thin air, but that what happened is there were discussions but they did not result in a deal.

I appreciate the sentiment but as Frankbmd can tell you.......

I'm always good!

I appreciated the harmless banter, it was just a tad easier than getting shot at in Afghanistan 2010-11.....

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 07-08-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:22 PM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Weird that we were hearing the same thing independently, at the same time.
Yes. So "weird." Lol.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:24 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:

Exactly, Good For SGC they have a strong brand that is worth plenty.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:36 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by natsturner View Post
No it's not true. Big fan of Dave though
Thanks for posting, Nat and welcome. I am curious however what specifically is not true? There were 35 posts before yours with mentions/inferences of PSA buying PWCC as well as SGC. Are both statements not true, if you can say?

Blowout, which I was told you have been a member, has numerous threads about a possible buyout of SGC, over the last week and last I checked I did not recall seeing you post on any of those but maybe you were not aware it was being talked about.

Appreciate your time.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Thanks for posting, Nat and welcome. I am curious however what specifically is not true? There were 35 posts before yours with mentions/inferences of PSA buying PWCC as well as SGC. Are both statements not true, if you can say?

Blowout, which I was told you have been a member, has numerous threads about a possible buyout of SGC, over the last week and last I checked I did not recall seeing you post on any of those but maybe you were not aware it was being talked about.

Appreciate your time.
didn't see any of the blowout ones, someone just sent me a link to this one on twitter somewhat randomly. it's not true that we're acquiring them.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:13 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by natsturner View Post
didn't see any of the blowout ones, someone just sent me a link to this one on twitter somewhat randomly. it's not true that we're acquiring them.
That was me. Thanks for coming and providing your input.