NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-10-2021, 11:22 PM
A@ron V@!llan©️our⍑

Default Worst type of eBay "guy"

Coming off a couple frustrating auction experiences and now I'm curious about the community's biggest pet peeves.

I personally can't stand the "starts an auction at $.99 but sets a ridiculously high hidden reserve" guy....as Tommy Devito in Goodfellas would say: Am I here to f$@%# amuse you?

Who is the "guy" you can't stand?

Last edited by slightlyrounded; 03-10-2021 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:34 AM
Albert Bee

Default peeve

Tommy DeVito ? Jersey Boys.....the guy from the Four Seasons ?
Old 03-11-2021, 04:42 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

When you message someone to negotiate a price and they raise their BIN price. Cmon, it’s terrible form.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 03-11-2021, 05:01 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Sellers who overcharge shipping, charge $4 then ship in a PWE.

People who say " I won't leave feedback until you do first" you sound like a used douche.

I hate when I make an offer and seller asks to take the sale off Ebay. Why would I give up the buyer protection that Ebay offers just to save you a few bucks?
Old 03-11-2021, 06:11 AM
Ben North

The feedback nerds for sure. It has been completely worthless for a very long time. Even better the buyers that think the sellers need to leave feedback FIRST. The transaction isn't over for the seller till AFTER the buyer has left feedback. The buyers that message you begging for feedback.

Off eBay, the people that you agree on a price. Then they are such cheap POS that they send PP WITHOUT adding the PP fees when they agreed to pay the fee. There is one member on here that does this but always posts that they cover fees.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:28 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
When you message someone to negotiate a price and they raise their BIN price. Cmon, it’s terrible form.
This is pretty common. I recently had this happen on a item that had been relisted a few times. I offered about 75 percent of their BIN price. Seller messaged me back saying if it didn't sell they would raise their price. It didn't sell and they did raise the price, strangely someone bought it at the higher price.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:45 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

People who give lousy feedback because the USPS is overwhelmed and slow as sh*t at times. Particularly when you are shipping out of NJ. In a blizzard.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:49 AM
Justin

People who write things like any questions ask, or ask questions before bidding in the description.....and then do not respond to questions.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2021, 06:51 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
People who give lousy feedback because the USPS is overwhelmed and slow as sh*t at times. Particularly when you are shipping out of NJ. In a blizzard.
That feedback is easily removed.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:54 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcosta19 View Post
People who write things like any questions ask, or ask questions before bidding in the description.....and then do not respond to questions.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Or buyers who ask a question with 10 minutes left in an auction.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:08 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

I don’t think I can narrow down my worst, but my favorite is the guy who gives a detailed description of a slabbed card. They are the unicorn of sellers for sure, but I greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:11 AM
James M.

The guy who when your about to win an auction for a card that's price didn't go as high as he wanted, pulls the auction. Just put it up for a BIN if you want a certain number I don't understand.

I really only try to use eBay as my last option nowadays. Much rather work out deals with everyone over here. Saves the Hassle and the Taxes

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:17 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The feedback nerds for sure. It has been completely worthless for a very long time. Even better the buyers that think the sellers need to leave feedback FIRST. The transaction isn't over for the seller till AFTER the buyer has left feedback. The buyers that message you begging for feedback.

Off eBay, the people that you agree on a price. Then they are such cheap POS that they send PP WITHOUT adding the PP fees when they agreed to pay the fee. There is one member on here that does this but always posts that they cover fees.
Do buyers do that? As a buyer, I care less about feedback. It doesn’t do anything for me, the benefit of good feedback is for a regular seller. Is there some benefit to feedback I am missing as a buyer?

On the topic, I agree with the OP, why list something at a .99¢ if your going to have a reserve? Just start your auction at a price you can live with if that’s the only bid.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 03-11-2021, 08:22 AM
Andrew

Last week I received a fake Frank Robinson RC. Politely informed the seller I would be returning it. He launched into a profane, abusive tirade accusing me of being a scammer (and various other adjectives). This continued over multiple emails, even after I took the time to provide side-by-side photos explaining to him how I could tell it was fake.

Last edited by ASF123; 03-11-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:25 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

The guy who can't sell a pair of GU uniform pants for $80, so he raises the price to $600, then a few days later drops the price to $150, calling it a "flash sale" with a 75% price reduction.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:33 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Last week I received a fake Frank Robinson RC. Politely informed the seller I would be returning it. He launched into a profane, abusive tirade accusing me of being a scammer (and various other adjectives). This continued over multiple emails, even after I took the time to provide side-by-side photos explaining to him how I could tell it was fake.
Theres no point in even contacting the seller. I know its the polite thing to do but too many people take things personal and things get ugly.
Just file the INAD claim and move on.

You could probably get him suspended if you choose to, its against Ebay rules to use profanity.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:40 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
The guy who can't sell a pair of GU uniform pants for $80, so he raises the price to $600, then a few days later drops the price to $150, calling it a "flash sale" with a 75% price reduction.
That strategy can work.

A few years back, I listed a jersey for sale. It was relisted many times with no takers. A good friend told me the price was too low, that I was devaluing the jersey. So I pulled it, relisted a few months later at double the price and it sold the same day.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:48 AM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Theres no point in even contacting the seller. I know its the polite thing to do but too many people take things personal and things get ugly.
Just file the INAD claim and move on.

You could probably get him suspended if you choose to, its against Ebay rules to use profanity.
Good to know, thanks.

It did get me thinking, though - I'm sure there are scammers out there who will buy a real card, claim it's fake and open an INAD, then return a fake that they already had and keep the real card for free. What's a seller's recourse in that case?
Old 03-11-2021, 08:49 AM
Robert Williams

Buyers who ask "What's the lowest price you will accept"....sometimes I feel like responding, "What's the highest price you will pay".....thankfully with a hot card market, those questions have stopped.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:57 AM
Bill Cauley

Mine was the potential buyer who contacted me asking if I combine shipping even though it says I do right in the item description.

Then they contact me again going on a rant because they can't bid on my cards. Turns out they had two or more NPB strikes against them within the past year and I have it set to block bidders who have that.

They then proceed to tell me that I'm doing ebay all wrong, all while they have previously bid on and won items and didn't pay for them.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:00 AM

The folks that hit the BIN on your items without reading the description or checking the photos then complain/demand partial refunds when the card(s) show up exactly as described and pictured.

I hate that guy.

He's a jerk, and he probably smells bad, too.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
I ran into a variation of this guy lately. One of the museum collectors on eBay had a card I was interested in. One week it was $999 and the next it went up to $1,499 without reason. I offered $100 below the prior asking price and was told off for "low balling" the guy.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:47 AM
Dave

My last negative I got on Ebay was from a guy who bought a vintage photo and wrote in the feedback.

"There was a crease in the photo."

Went and checked my description, and right there under condition, I wrote "There is a crease in the photo. This is where the crease is....". LOL!

Also included was two large pictures showing the crease.

BTW this feedback was from a guy who waited until the absolute last second of an unpaid item reminder on an under $35 item, to make payment.

Amazingly I was able to get the feedback removed, though it took weeks and was kind of a pain in the ass.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:57 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Seller feedback trolls. Don't pepper me with 99 PMs asking for feedback on a $2 sale.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-11-2021, 10:20 AM
Patrick N.

Default Psa

Not a big fan of the PSA 10? in title guy, especially when the card is noticeably o/c
Old 03-11-2021, 12:39 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Anything that says - PLEASE READ

normally this is reserved for reprints...so when a seller puts that in the description, real or reprint, I just move on.

Always love the L@@K....haha...I usually don't open those either.

I did have something REALLY strange the other day...a "Deans Card" was the best deal in the best shape. Whoa. I still couldn't buy it, but hell had just froze over...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 03-11-2021, 10:21 PM
Anson

Best Offer guy that puts an auto rejection to an offer of 90% the BIN.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:01 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
The guy who when your about to win an auction for a card that's price didn't go as high as he wanted, pulls the auction. Just put it up for a BIN if you want a certain number I don't understand.

I really only try to use eBay as my last option nowadays. Much rather work out deals with everyone over here. Saves the Hassle and the Taxes
I try to buy here first. Recently I've been buying 2021 Topps parallels off ebay of the Reds. It bothers me when I offer a fair price for a nobody player, comps support my offer, but the seller is selling at x4 the going rate and refuses to budge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 03-12-2021, 06:05 AM
Rob

A few...

The guy who puts "expedited" shipping on a low dollar item so the shipping is as much or more than the item.

The guy who has done zero research into his item and has it priced so ridiculously over the top that I know that POS will be showing up in my searches for the next 5 years.

The guy who says "the pictures are part of the description" then gives you one, typically lousy, picture just of the front of the item.

The photo doctorer who enhances his pictures to make his item look much better than it really is. I've run into this guy a lot lately. I don't think iPhone's camera is helping this situation but I'm talking about the deliberate guy.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:09 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBBC View Post
The folks that hit the BIN on your items without reading the description or checking the photos then complain/demand partial refunds when the card(s) show up exactly as described and pictured.

I hate that guy.

He's a jerk, and he probably smells bad, too.
I suspect there's a lot of this going on right now. Since Covid started and shows have pretty much stopped, the market for what I collect is so competitive that a good item will literally will be sold within seconds of being listed on ebay. You have to strike first and ask questions later or you will have no shot of getting the item. Sucks I know...but that's the environment we live in right now.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:10 AM
Robert J. Miller

Default Worst ebay guy

The guy with over 15,500 feedback that bids on a $9.00 card and cancels his bid before the auctions ends because he entered the wrong amount. And the bid was for the opening amount.

I guess with only 15,500 feedback he is still trying to figure out how to use ebay.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:08 AM
Howard Chernick

My 3 favorites are:

Buyers who cancel bids in the final hours of an auction.

Buyers who ask questions about the condition of a card after they won the item.

Of, course I hate Non Payers.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 03-12-2021, 07:40 AM

The seller on Ebay (won't mention but they have a lot of autographs) who takes a dollar off on best offers but then takes it back in postal costs.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:31 AM
Steve Birmingham

Do people still cancel bids so they can sell to an off Ebay offer?
I hate that.

That and the ones that won't honor a winning bid, claiming they sold the card over the weekend but didn't get around to cancelling the auction until after it closed. Then offer as a "consolation prize" like 20% off their autographs that are probably fake and way over priced. (Yeah, I'm still POd I didn't get that Lundgren and the two caramels that were with it. )

Or the ones that sell trimmed stuff and won't respond to emails until it gets posted here. The come crying about how they were "busy" or on vacation and couldn't answer emails, but never put their store on vacation hold. Like it's not a hard thing to have an "out of office" automated response. Sorry, no matter how much other people say you're awesome, I'm still not changing that negative.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:26 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
Do buyers do that? As a buyer, I care less about feedback. It doesn’t do anything for me, the benefit of good feedback is for a regular seller. Is there some benefit to feedback I am missing as a buyer?
Absolutely they do. This is why I set my eBay store to automatically leave positive feedback upon payment. It glitched on me once and didn't leave the feedback for a while, which I discovered when a buyer messaged me and threatened to return his purchase because I had not left feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Buyers who ask "What's the lowest price you will accept"....sometimes I feel like responding, "What's the highest price you will pay".....thankfully with a hot card market, those questions have stopped.
No they haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
The guy who says "the pictures are part of the description" then gives you one, typically lousy, picture just of the front of the item.
This is what I originally intended to post, but you beat me to it. So I will add to it sellers who use terms in their descriptions not because they actually apply to their item, or even because they know what they mean, but simply because they think it will help it sell. An Item Not As Described out of ignorance is still an Item Not As Described. Better to simply not describe it and refer to the crappy photo.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 03-12-2021 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
that's always a good one. i sent out a package in similar situation - also from NJ - of course package gets re-routed like 6 times. i reached out to buyer several times to check in (even with the buyer having the tracking number). finally gets the package and feedback: "the shipping was terrible, so slow, but cards got here" not everyone has a clue i guess.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:26 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That and the ones that won't honor a winning bid, claiming they sold the card over the weekend but didn't get around to cancelling the auction until after it closed. Then offer as a "consolation prize" like 20% off their autographs that are probably fake and way over priced. (Yeah, I'm still POd I didn't get that Lundgren and the two caramels that were with it. )
Steve,
I had something similar happen to me on ebay last year. I won an auction and started to pay, when suddenly the auction was canceled. I don't remember exactly what the message from ebay said, but effectively the item was no longer available. I guess it didn't go for a enough money and he didn't want to sell it that cheap. I didn't get offered any "consolation prize". I just had to move on.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:42 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Steve,
I had something similar happen to me on ebay last year. I won an auction and started to pay, when suddenly the auction was canceled. I don't remember exactly what the message from ebay said, but effectively the item was no longer available. I guess it didn't go for a enough money and he didn't want to sell it that cheap. I didn't get offered any "consolation prize". I just had to move on.
Some sellers list their inventory on ebay, their own website, and in their store if they have one. Several times I have negotiated and bought stuff, which the seller then had to pull off ebay. In fact I bought 13 T202 cards from a member here last weekend in this way.

A couple of times, after I'd agreed to the deal, I got pretty nervous when the seller was slow to remove the item from ebay; the standout examples were all involving the same well known GU dealer: a Johnny Bench rookie bat, a super rare 1965 Twins Al Worthington World Series bat, and a 1964 Vic Power Twins flannel.

I have a good relationship with this dealer so I'm sure he would've kept his word to me, but I worried what it would do to his reputation if someone came along and hit the BIN while it was still hanging out there.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:52 PM
Jeff H

When a seller has a price or best offer and you make a reasonable offer only to have the seller counter with the full price. If you wont except less than the asking price don't put "make a offer" in the sale.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:57 PM
Frank Wakefield

I agree with much posted above.

Shipping charges annoy me when it is $4 or $5 and I see they spent under a dollar for postage.

I like cardboard inside the envelope and rubber bands. I hate magic tape on card holders.

But ya'll have hit a sore point on feedback. As a buyer, once I've promptly paid I expect the item, AND I expect feedback. And I deserve it at that point. I've paid, nothing left for me to do in the transaction. The seller still needs to accept payment, package well, and promptly ship. They don't get feedback yet. I consider sellers who want feedback first to be holding feedback hostage... Seems to me that sellers should submit feedback once I've paid.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:05 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiw98 View Post
When a seller has a price or best offer and you make a reasonable offer only to have the seller counter with the full price. If you wont except less than the asking price don't put "make a offer" in the sale.
Reasonable for the buyer is not always reasonable for the seller.

Member since 2009
Old 03-12-2021, 07:11 PM
Andrew

Quote:
I hate magic tape on card holders.
Oh, man. So very much this!

Sellers: Why do you keep ruining perfectly good top loaders?? I collect raw cards. I store them in top loaders. They're not cheap - I know you know that. You shipped the card in a top loader, so presumably you buy them too.

So why oh why do you cover it in packing tape that's so hard to pull off, I feel like I'm risking creasing the card, and it leaves so much residue that the top loader is useless for storage??
Old 03-12-2021, 07:29 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
I agree with much posted above.

Shipping charges annoy me when it is $4 or $5 and I see they spent under a dollar for postage.

I like cardboard inside the envelope and rubber bands. I hate magic tape on card holders.

But ya'll have hit a sore point on feedback. As a buyer, once I've promptly paid I expect the item, AND I expect feedback. And I deserve it at that point. I've paid, nothing left for me to do in the transaction. The seller still needs to accept payment, package well, and promptly ship. They don't get feedback yet. I consider sellers who want feedback first to be holding feedback hostage... Seems to me that sellers should submit feedback once I've paid.
Theres really no point of a seller holding feedback hostage, since they can only leave positive. That was the reason why Ebay changed the feedback system.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:34 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Oh, man. So very much this!

Sellers: Why do you keep ruining perfectly good top loaders?? I collect raw cards. I store them in top loaders. They're not cheap - I know you know that. You shipped the card in a top loader, so presumably you buy them too.

So why oh why do you cover it in packing tape that's so hard to pull off, I feel like I'm risking creasing the card, and it leaves so much residue that the top loader is useless for storage??
As a sometimes seller. I am selling a card(s) not a toploader. The toploader and tape are to protect the card(s) I sold. A lot of times i use old crappy scratched up toploaderss to ship.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:53 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Sellers job is to protect against damage, not to provide you with a brand new top loader for free.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:00 PM
George

Quote:
Never had a seller come back with full price but have had a couple sellers knock a quarter or two off which is an eye roller.

I will admit I accepted both times this happened as they were items I would have paid full price for if OBO wasn't an option, so ultimately we both won.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:29 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

The sellers who cancel your bid and close the auction when it’s not going to sell for what they want. Just list it with a reserve. I’ve had six auction bids cancelled in the last two weeks.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:31 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
So this.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:51 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Sellers job is to protect against damage, not to provide you with a brand new top loader for free.
That's not what I'm talking about. I don't begrudge a seller the right to ship in a crappy top loader (although it's always a point in the seller's favor for return business if they can see fit to include a nice one). I'm talking about sellers, and there are shockingly many, who ship in a nice new top loader that they render useless by mummifying it in tape. Or even with a strip of Scotch tape all the way across the top - that stuff doesn't come off. There's plenty of tape that will actually peel off without ruining the top loader.

Bottom line: If you're going to spring for a new top loader in the first place, let the buyer enjoy the benefit of it too!

Last edited by ASF123; 03-12-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:58 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Sellers who overcharge shipping, charge $4 then ship in a PWE.

People who say " I won't leave feedback until you do first" you sound like a used douche.

I hate when I make an offer and seller asks to take the sale off Ebay. Why would I give up the buyer protection that Ebay offers just to save you a few bucks?
Now you sound like a used douche!