NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Better investment...green t206 cobby or exhibit ruth?
T206 Green Cobb 100 66.23%
1921 Exhibit Babe Ruth 51 33.77%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2021, 01:56 PM
pete ullman

Default Better Investment? Light Heavyweight Bout!

Here we go folks...it's a heavyweight fight...in this corner we have the venerable, green t206 cobby...the t206 cobb to have. And in this corner...the much more scarce...obscure, early 1921 exhibit babe ruth.

The cobb has enjoyed exponential appreciation the last few years with nice vg's going from 2-3K to 10-15K.

The ruth has also enjoyed growth...more like 2-3 times the last few years.

So it seems the more common card usually is the better investment...like the goudey ruths. Which do y'all think is the better "investment?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21ruthexhibit078.jpg (52.7 KB, 743 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 3.00.45 PM.jpg (9.5 KB, 729 views)

Last edited by ullmandds; 01-22-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:09 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I would lean Green Cobb. There will always be a market for both players, but the Cobb has the kicker of being a part of a widely collected set. I should also mention I am often wrong.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:31 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Cobb and I don’t think its close.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:13 PM

Green cobb,
But I think this year the 1955 topps clemente rc will have a nice gain in collector grade
Old 01-22-2021, 06:31 PM

Great comparison Pete. Very tough. I voted for Ruth, but only bc it’s more rare.

And BTW- I LOVE the Ruth pose in the 1921.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 01-22-2021 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ruth's appeal will last forever Cobb's may not and in any event as noted the Green already has had a tremendous runup perhaps more so than the Exhibit. Ruth.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:36 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

gotta go with tyrus raymond cobb. tuff choice, had both at one point but not anymore unfortunately.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:01 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I own both in grade 2. I feel that the Ruth should increase more rapidly given the run up of the Cobb and the rarity and earliness of the Ruth. However, I would expect that both do well. The more common blue chip type cards are all the rage at the moment. I Feel like there’s better value in the rare stuff, but I wouldn’t say my thoughts are similar to the rest of the masses. So who knows?
Old 01-22-2021, 08:18 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. However, there are several reasons I vote Cobb.

First, the Cobb card is from the most famous and collected set - T206 i.e. the monster. Secondly, the Cobb card is more aesthetically pleasing. It has bright and brilliant colors, while the Ruth is a dull black and white card. Third, the Cobb card fits into standard holders, while the Ruth is oversized and awkward. Finally, the Cobb card is an actual baseball card from tobacco packs and pouches. The Ruth is simply a postcard. To each his own, but I don’t consider postcards baseball cards. I collect baseball cards, not postcards that just happen to have a baseball player on it.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:27 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
I own both in grade 2. I feel that the Ruth should increase more rapidly given the run up of the Cobb and the rarity and earliness of the Ruth. However, I would expect that both do well. The more common blue chip type cards are all the rage at the moment. I Feel like there’s better value in the rare stuff, but I wouldn’t say my thoughts are similar to the rest of the masses. So who knows?
This was my sentiment. Obviously T206 is...well T206 and people are coocoo for T206!!!!! Then theres the subpopulation...like myself...who prefers rare early issues.

I think the ruth has more short term room. There was a pwcc sale recently...possibly an outlier...near 9K I believe...and not a very nice one.

These days it seems people just wish a card to be worth a certain price...and...POOF...it becomes reality?

Yes the cobb is a beautiful, green portrait...and one of the tougher cobb t206...but still pretty damn common.

The ruth is early...he's svelte...young...full action photo with lots of detail. A unique pose. I think it's become a must have for more serious ruth collectors. Based on pop of supposedly around 200...I'd guess lots of resubmits.

Both great cards no doubt! I want both!
Old 01-22-2021, 08:29 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. However, there are several reasons I vote Cobb.

First, the Cobb card is from the most famous and collected set - T206 i.e. the monster. Secondly, the Cobb card is more aesthetically pleasing. It has bright and brilliant colors, while the Ruth is a dull black and white card. Third, the Cobb card fits into standard holders, while the Ruth is oversized and awkward. Finally, the Cobb card is an actual baseball card from tobacco packs and pouches. The Ruth is simply a postcard. To each his own, but I don’t consider postcards baseball cards. I collect baseball cards, not postcards that just happen to have a baseball player on it.
I see your points...and at one point I agreed with many of them...but not anymore!

How can I be a ty cobb/babe ruth collector and ignore the 1907 dietsche...the m101-3...early 20's exhibits...I'd be dramatically limiting the cards I could collect...and some of the best, imo!
Old 01-22-2021, 09:50 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I see your points...and at one point I agreed with many of them...but not anymore!

How can I be a ty cobb/babe ruth collector and ignore the 1907 dietsche...the m101-3...early 20's exhibits...I'd be dramatically limiting the cards I could collect...and some of the best, imo!
Like I said, “to each his own.” I’m just one man with limited resources, and have to draw the line somewhere with what I collect. I personally don’t consider postcards baseball cards and choose not to collect them. I very well may be in the minority here. To me, all those examples you listed are just glorified postcards that depict baseball players, and are not “baseball cards” even despite the word postcard having the word card in it.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:17 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I am in the minority and went with the Ruth Exhibit card. The Cobb card is obviously more iconic, but the Exhibit is a scarce early Ruth. Generations from now, Ruth will still be the biggest name in the sport.

Last edited by Bored5000; 01-23-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:12 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

I would choose the Ruth due to comparative rarity. Great pose, early issue and I personally like diversification in my collection.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:50 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The question is vague as to time. What is my expected sale time-frame? Over the very long haul I think the Cobb (or any T206, 1933 Goudey, 1949 Leaf, 1952 Topps, or other mainstream marquee set) will beat a non-rookie Exhibit in total returns. Over the shorter term the question is relative price increases already baked into the current prices. The Exhibit Ruth has both more room to run up than the Cobb. The other issue favoring the Ruth is that it is not the mainstream card: pressure from other mainstream Ruth cards that are shooting up (e.g., the M, E and R cards) tends to push collectors to going after Exhibits, W cards, etc. The Cobb is already the mainstream card.

A better comparison would be the potential returns on the Ruth Exhibit versus the Cobb Exhibit. The Cobb has always been about 1/3 of the Ruth price but it is now closer to 1/8 of the Ruth price (a PSA6 sold for $1,860 last summer in Heritage; a few weeks later a 6 Ruth went for $22,200), so it has more room to improve relative to the Ruth. I would not be surprised to see Cobb double or triple over the next year assuming the market doesn't crap the bed. I don't think the equivalent grade Ruth has the same potential. Hence I am sitting on my Cobb Exhibits; though I am not a collector I think there's good money to be made a year from now.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-23-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:43 AM
Frank Wakefield

Golly... too many times I have vented about investments. An education, brick and mortar home, IRA's, mutual funds, stocks, and I usually end with buying 5 to 10 acres, then planting and tending to sapling hardwood trees for a couple of years until they're developed sufficiently to survive on their own... then wait 30 years (that's a great, long term investment). For investment purposes, ball cards are not a good choice.

That said (again vented), consider your query from the vantage point that has you acquiring cards for a collection for a couple of dozen years. You want both a Ruth Exhibit and a green white border Cobb. Buy the Cobb first. Both are likely to cost more in 5 years, and in 10 years. But the cost of acquisition of the Cobb will increase more significantly than that Ruth Exhibit. That would be the reason for going for Cobb card.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:03 PM
je.sse @rnot

I voted for the Cobb, primarily because I'm not a fan if postcard sized cards. I doubt you will go wrong either way though

I do own a green cobb in an SGC 3, but do not own any exhibits.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 01-23-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:35 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I'll have to go with the demand side of the equation. The Ruth Exhibit is a great card worthy of its value. However, I have to think that there will be a higher demand for the green Cobb in the future.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:45 PM
Rob

Another vote for the baseball card. Other than the pinhole, it's in nice shape. The TPG's are very strict about pinholes for some reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206cobbgreen.jpg (78.4 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg t206cobbgreenb.jpg (78.8 KB, 400 views)
Old 01-23-2021, 07:46 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I would agree with many that there will always be more demand on the Cobb side. Because it's from the most collected pre war set ever and is the most wanted of the 4 Cobbs. It's colorful and has been a blue chip classic card forever! The demand will always outpace the Ruth black and white exhibit. However when considering which is a better investment you have to take the supply part of it into the equation. That's where the Ruth is the clear winner. The supply part of the equation is not remotely close. There is a very adequate supply of Cobbs with the Ruth exhibit exponentially smaller in supply. So the best investment boils down to if the Ruth demand, albeit much smaller than the colorful Cobb classic, can outpace the much more limited supply?

It takes much less demand uptick and fewer sales to move the Ruth price.

Tough call. I'm happy I have both
Old 03-30-2021, 08:40 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Here we go folks...it's a heavyweight fight...in this corner we have the venerable, green t206 cobby...the t206 cobb to have. And in this corner...the much more scarce...obscure, early 1921 exhibit babe ruth.

The cobb has enjoyed exponential appreciation the last few years with nice vg's going from 2-3K to 10-15K.

The ruth has also enjoyed growth...more like 2-3 times the last few years.

So it seems the more common card usually is the better investment...like the goudey ruths. Which do y'all think is the better "investment?"
And after last nights ruth exhibit close...granted w/pwcc...it appears to be a cliser fight!!! And I still propose that overtime the exhibit Ruth will become more expensive a card than a green tea 206 Cobb!!
Old 03-30-2021, 09:33 AM
Howard Chasser

Default I voted Ruth

REALLY tough choice!

1) Ruth - is arguably "THE" most iconic baseball player in history. People who don't care about baseball know who Ruth is. Many of his other cards - from the same era 1921-22 have seen unbelievable appreciation. His Goudey cards continue to see incredible appreciation. His exhibit appears on some level to have been "forgotten about".....for now. There is a lot more card than any of his other period issues with as mentioned an incredible unique and iconic pose.
I don't accept the "it's not a card" argument - the 1925 Gehrig "wasn't a card" for years - now it's widely accepted as his rookie and if I recall Golding sold one in the past few months for 750K. What changed? People's perception. Nuff said.

2) Cobb - As mentioned repeatedly the card is part of the T206 set - which will probably remain one of the most collected sets in the hobby for time to come. Cobb was the best of his time. The portrait cards are beautiful.

IF the Cobb hadn't run up as much as it has and wasn't in more plentiful supply (compared to the Ruth), it would be a tougher choice for me, but I'll go with the rarer card (with small but enough supply that it trades regularly) with the more Iconic player.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:42 AM
octavio ranzola

Ruth i mean cobb i mean ruth omg tuff choice thx pete
Old 03-30-2021, 10:02 AM
Chris

As someone that doesn't own, and can't afford either, I'd take out a loan to buy the Cobb. I wouldn't for the Ruth because at the end of the day (to me) it's a postcard.
Chris

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2021, 10:09 AM

I know Exhibits have had their run up, particularly the Gehrig, but I don't think that interest will be sustained. Ty Cobb green all day every day and forever.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:09 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Instead of a baseball card, a better "investment" for a number of individuals posting in this thread would be a dictionary

Last edited by Huysmans; 03-30-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:12 AM
Drew W@i$e

Cobb. That Ruth is too obscure for the average collector.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:43 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

I voted Ruth, as I’ve seen so many more green Cobbs. But, I am currently hunting for a nice green Cobb prior to going after the Ruth. Easier to find and I’m a sucker for short term gratification.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:39 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Cobb. And I would much rather have the Ruth.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-30-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:46 PM

In what grades? It matters.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:33 PM
A.J. Johnson

Wish I hadn't sold this one three years ago. ugh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth21Exhibitpsa2.5front.jpg (77.7 KB, 150 views)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 03-30-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:57 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Wish I hadn't sold this one 2 years ago!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 3.00.45 PM.jpg (15.7 KB, 141 views)
Old 03-30-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
AJ, any update on PSA and your altered card?
Old 03-30-2021, 09:27 PM
A.J. Johnson

I'll post an update to the main thread soon. It's in process
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time