NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Which Card sells for more
Ty Cobb W600 Sporting Life Cabinet 102 45.74%
Mike Trout Bowman Chrome Draft Prospect Auto 121 54.26%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2020, 02:40 PM
Jay Cee

Default Which card will sell for more

Both cards are currently at 200k Cobb in REA and Trout in Goldin.

W600 Cobb in the club house at 300k (including the BP). The Trout card closes in 3 days and is currently at 240k (288k w/BP). Will this modern rare card of a player currently playing surpass a super rare card of one of the All Time great HOFers? Last chance to vote
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1157.jpg (70.7 KB, 1694 views)

Last edited by BeanTown; 05-14-2020 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Update for bidding
Old 04-15-2020, 02:45 PM
Michael S.

Sad that you have to ask, but I have faith in humanity - Cobb

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 04-15-2020, 02:52 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Easily Trout. $500k+
Old 04-15-2020, 02:52 PM
Ben North

I voted Trout, he seems to be this generations Albert Pujols.

The price difference in 15 years from now would be nice to know? I would pick the Cobb in that one.

Last edited by bnorth; 04-15-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:58 PM
Rob

I voted for Trout. JC, I like the contests where the winners get a prize, like an Eddie Murray rookie in vg/e or something. Rob
Old 04-15-2020, 03:15 PM

Which will sell for more? Trout.

Which would I rather have? Cobb (in a heartbeat).

Last edited by MVSNYC; 04-15-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:25 PM

How many of those Trouts exist (grade notwithstanding)?

I have no idea what the Trout is worth and I would rather have the Cobb a zillion times over. I do NOT understand modern. But, I am glad it’s healthy - what’s good for cards is good for all cards.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 04-15-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:25 PM

Default sad

trout unfortunately but i used to work for a auction house we sold the strasburg 1/1 auto superfractor, it was up on ebay....price over 500k, put it in the auction, sold for 20k. value now less than 1k. ill take the cobb
Old 04-15-2020, 03:41 PM
Mike P.ap

Default ugh

Trout

Peace, Mike
Old 04-15-2020, 03:43 PM
T0m P00n

Trout by a country mile.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:55 PM

It does feel "icky" that a new shiny card would beat out Cobb, but the fact of the matter is that EVERYONE knows about the 2009 Bowman Trout. Very few know what a W600 Cobb is, or why it would be more than a T206. The Trout is extremely apparent. I think Trout wins this one easily, though, again ... it doesn't feel right saying it out loud.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:00 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.ź.Σ

Modern’s artificial scarcity and prices do not make sense to me. But, to each his/her own. I’ll take the Cobb which was mass produced, but is scarce due to the attrition of time; Not the card that went straight from a pack to an encased protective holder.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:51 PM
Tony Quinn

What about the W600 Wagner?
Old 04-15-2020, 05:26 PM
Jay Cee

The Trout card is 5 of 5. Im not sure on the W600 Cobb pop but my guess is 5 or less. It's crazy to think Trout who is half way through his career would fetch more than one if the all time greats in Ty Cobb. This is almost a generation contest where the young will battle over the Trout and the old (age 40 and up) will battle for Cobb.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:55 PM
Chuck Price

My son is a huge Trout collector, he said that particular Trout is one of the major modern sports cards of today. I guess I will pick the Trout, but I still don’t see it

Drum Daddy, "10 Drum's and counting"
Green Cobb’s, “7 and counting “
Red Cobb’s, “12 and counting”
Working on my Ruth, Cobb, Joe Jackson, Gehrig, Wagner, Mantle collection
Old 04-15-2020, 06:01 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Trout in the sprint

Cobb in the Marathon - I want to check back on this thread in 10-15 years!
Old 04-15-2020, 06:05 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Different question...

I think the question should be: Which one will sell for more in 5 years. I suspect it will be the Cobb.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it eat the dogfood
Old 04-15-2020, 06:50 PM
Scott Russell

The real question is which one is trimmed...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-15-2020, 06:58 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
The real question is which one is not trimmed...
I fixed it for you.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:26 PM
Fred

Hey that Trout is a HIGH grade, the Cobb is only a "2".

I think most of us would take the Cobb over Trout, even if the Trout has a higher $ value in the hobby.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:03 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
I think the question should be: Which one will sell for more in 5 years. I suspect it will be the Cobb.
Now THAT is a the question! I am finding myself somewhat sucked into the modern market just a bit (nowhere near to this level of course), and I keep seeing the modern stuff going up, up, up. Collecting friends have taken great delight in pointing this out to me. I do wonder what I will see value-wise in five years? There are more modern collectors than those of us collecting vintage.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:19 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Now THAT is a the question! I am finding myself somewhat sucked into the modern market just a bit (nowhere near to this level of course), and I keep seeing the modern stuff going up, up, up. Collecting friends have taken great delight in pointing this out to me. I do wonder what I will see value-wise in five years? There are more modern collectors than those of us collecting vintage.
Your friends are like gamblers/lottery players, they are only telling you about the wins.

Trout has lasted WAY longer than most in the game of hot potato. These modern cards get handed around at first and everyone makes money. Then like a hot potato falling so do the prices of these cards.

I have been in the hobby for 30+ years and it has always been this way. Only now those $35-$100 rookie/prospect cards are selling for the prices of a house.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:26 AM

Default Insane prices for both!

Prices for both are absolutely insane!

Good thing the Cobb has a nipped bottom right corner. Can't image what it might sell for without that defect. I only know a couple of collectors that might be putting together the W600 set. Seems like an insane price even if only a handful might exist. My guess is others will become available shortly as people try to cash in. I also would be surprised if any further sales come close to the prices realized in this auction, unless the condition is superior to this W600 example.

Can't see the Trout card being worth much...but some people have more money than brains in my humble opinion. It's worth whatever someone is will to pay.

Patrick
Old 04-16-2020, 07:42 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Your friends are like gamblers/lottery players, they are only telling you about the wins.

Trout has lasted WAY longer than most in the game of hot potato. These modern cards get handed around at first and everyone makes money. Then like a hot potato falling so do the prices of these cards.

I have been in the hobby for 30+ years and it has always been this way. Only now those $35-$100 rookie/prospect cards are selling for the prices of a house.
I hear ya, Ben. I have been in the hobby about as long as you have and have seen multiple examples. We all remember the Canseco and Mattingly rookies, and who can forget the McGwire USA Olympic card?! However, something just "feels" different this time. As you said, Trout has lasted longer and continues to move at an upward trajectory. In football the Brees and Brady rookies are on the move. Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge anyone who sees his cards appreciate. I think those cards are very attractive in some ways, and I wouldn't mind owning one or two. Then you factor in the impact of TPGing. Goodness a friend of mine is routinely buying ungraded LeBron, Trout, Brees, Brady, etc. on ebay, getting them slabbed, and making good money. The prices he gets for some of these cards makes me just shake my head.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2020, 08:36 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Who is Mr Turk and why is his autograph on a Mike Trout card?
Old 04-16-2020, 08:37 AM

Default Yikes

I voted trout, only because people are usually sheep and not lions. Plus most people don’t even know what the W600 Cobb is. Not that, that is any reason for a Trout to potentially sell for more than one of the most sought after Cobb cards.

I am pretty sure the guy that owns the super refractor trout has a million dollar price tag on it. And this red is the next best card. I can see it touching 750k with the right buyers going back and forth.

At any rate it will be interesting to see what the gap is between modern day “investment cards” and smelly “collectors vintage”

*Not taking any shots at vintage. I love it! But it seems there is a divide in the card market between vintage collectors and modern day investors (look at all the stupid Jordan inserts right now...and base card values of players like Lebron. Lebron year 15 base card in a gem Grade surpassed 200 for some reason. It was a dollar card 2 months ago).
Old 04-16-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucc_31 View Post
I voted trout, only because people are usually sheep and not lions. Plus most people don’t even know what the W600 Cobb is. Not that, that is any reason for a Trout to potentially sell for more than one of the most sought after Cobb cards.

*Not taking any shots at vintage. I love it! But it seems there is a divide in the card market between vintage collectors and modern day investors (look at all the stupid Jordan inserts right now...and base card values of players like Lebron. Lebron year 15 base card in a gem Grade surpassed 200 for some reason. It was a dollar card 2 months ago).
Regardless of what card sells for more, the collectors who DO KNOW what the W600 Cobb is would likely wish for those who don't know that they would kindly stay that way----less competition for them. Thus, keep having fun fishing for Trout, while I search the deep to "TY" one on to this magnificent white whale Cobb.

I do not wish to infer a manufactured rarity is not worthy of big money; however, as someone else beautifully described, Mr. Trout's stature in the hobby has not settled as yet. I do not wish him evil---no way. Nevertheless, the "what in the world were you thinking?" kinds of decisions that all sorts of people make in their lives that permanently taint their once-powerful reputation fill bookstores, magazines, and are there for all to read in the newspaper.

--- Brian Powell
Old 04-16-2020, 02:13 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
Modern’s artificial scarcity and prices do not make sense to me...
Ugh. Artificial scarcity has never made sense to me.

My ex-wife has boxes of limited edition Bradford Exchange plates.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 04-16-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
Modern’s artificial scarcity and prices do not make sense to me. But, to each his/her own. I’ll take the Cobb which was mass produced, but is scarce due to the attrition of time; Not the card that went straight from a pack to an encased protective holder.
My sentiments exactly. Down the road, I suspect that the disparity among the values of the various Trout autograph cards will diminish substantially.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark evans View Post
My sentiments exactly. Down the road, I suspect that the disparity among the values of the various Trout autograph cards will diminish substantially.
Me too but who knows.
I will take the cobby all day long but the Demand for Trout might be the winner at this time.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Me too but who knows.
I will take the cobby all day long but the Demand for Trout might be the winner at this time.
Maybe in the short term. Frank Thomas and Albert Pujols got off the amazing starts to their careers and now they have cooled off. Same thing could happen to Trout. Cobb, Wagner and Ruth will keep going strong.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:42 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Maybe in the short term. Frank Thomas and Albert Pujols got off the amazing starts to their careers and now they have cooled off. Same thing could happen to Trout. Cobb, Wagner and Ruth will keep going strong.
Bingo!!!! Trout has to be elite for at least another 5 years. Plus, not test positive for PEDs or any other performance inhancing drugs. Then to not make news in a negative way after he retires on a routine basis. What a risk dropping 6 figures for a player still playing IMO. As Daniel said, the modern investors know its a big card and I hope they don't educate themselves on Prewar investments.

Update:
Cobb at 205k
Trout at 200k

Trout is leading in the poll over Cobb by a whisker.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:16 PM
Fred

I don't follow the new stuff. Can someone tell me what a "10" 89 UD Griffey rookie goes for these days and the price for the same card back in the late 90's?

Also, is that Trout card a one of one or something "special" like that?
Old 04-17-2020, 08:27 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

You can get a nice raw Griffey UD RC for $50 or so, but a PSA 10 just eclipsed the $1,000 mark. But they also made a few million of those.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:20 AM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
but the fact of the matter is that EVERYONE knows about the 2009 Bowman Trout.
Not everyone. I had never seen or heard of this card. If you would have told me it's a $200 card I would have believed you. I still watch the game, but I don't know anything about modern cards. I think it's great there's a healthy market for them though (not that I can afford either of these anyway).

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 04-18-2020, 05:35 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I vote Trout. At this point there's about a 90% chance he retires as the best player of his generation and roughly a 50/50 shot he ends up having a better career than Cobb did. Moreover, W600s were ordered a la carte, so the "common players" are the real rarities, and the stars relatively common. We'll find a few more W600 Cobbs, but the Trout population never goes over 5. Manufactured vs. artificial rarity per se isn't germane to setting the market value. It's just supply and demand either way.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:05 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

200k omg
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:55 AM

There is a 50% chance that Trout becomes the player of his generation and doesn't have a decline like Pujols, Thomas and Griffey. There is a 0% chance that he has a better career than Ty Cobb.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:19 AM
Bob B.

Default Auction?

I know Cobb is in REA, what auction is Trout in?
Old 04-18-2020, 09:37 AM
Rob

I don't see the Trout auction either.

I voted for Trout, not because I prefer the card, but I remember the news story about someone called, "Vegas Dave" who paid $400,000.00 for a Trout "Superfractor", whatever that is...If you were to ask me, after watching the 2019 playoffs and World Series as an Astros fan, Anthony Rendon is the best player in baseball...Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vegasdavetrout.jpg (68.9 KB, 1004 views)
Old 04-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
There is a 50% chance that Trout becomes the player of his generation and doesn't have a decline like Pujols, Thomas and Griffey. There is a 0% chance that he has a better career than Ty Cobb.
I agree with this. Do you think Pujols would be more revered if some of his big years were recent? As a Cardinals fan I watched a ton of his first 11 years, but have rarely seen him since (and haven't seen Trout play more than a handfull of games for that matter). It would make me think twice about putting so much stock in anybody who is still playing when a 650+hr 2000+rbi guy is sometimes thought of more for his decline than what he did. Similar thinking for Griffey.

This year might be a wash for Trout. All it takes is a few little injuries here or there and his projections really slow down.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/

Last edited by midmo; 04-18-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:56 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Believe Goldin?

Cant wait for the....

"I didn't realize this card was for sale as I would have added another one to my collection" comments

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-18-2020, 03:41 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I voted for Trout, not because I prefer the card, but I remember the news story about someone called, "Vegas Dave" who paid $400,000.00 for a Trout "Superfractor", whatever that is..
It's believed that Vegas Dave consigned this red card numbered out of 5 as well. The Superfractor is the 1/1 version with the champagne colored swirls in the background. Vegas Dave is also a heavy pumper like Gary V with his own groupies who invest in whatever he tells them to. He's also regularly been accused of bidding on his own cards.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:57 PM
Fred

I think it's nuts to think that Trout is going to continue on at the pace he's done in the past. I hope he puts up some really neat numbers in his career but sooner or later time will catch up to him and he'll have a few average seasons towards the end of his career, just like Kid Griffey, Pujols, etc. Then people will be on to the next Mike Trout and that Trout card will be yesterday's news.

Look at Pujols first 10 seasons and tell me he was a slouch. I'm going to guess that you can get Pujols most expensive rookie card for a lot less than that Trout card.

I'm sure the card companies are having a ball coming up with the next "marketing" lottery ticket (because that's how I perceive that Trout card and others like it) because it keeps them in business.

If I had that Trout card, I'd get as much as I could for it and then I'd be buying all kinds of vintage with it.

Now, for the guys that like that new shiny stuff, have at it and enjoy what you collect.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:10 PM
rgpete

Out with the New and In with the Old. Cobb is the best value and not a flash in the pan like Trout Nothing like a Pan Fried Trout when the Values go South
Old 04-20-2020, 08:24 PM
Jay Cee

Cobb in the Clubhouse at 300k. Now we have to wait 3 weeks and see how Trout does.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:39 PM
Ben W.hitener

Trout. No contest.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:41 PM

$300k was highway robbery IMO. Someone got a great deal. I definitely take the Trout, although admittedly, I have no idea why that Trout card is worth anything significant
Old 04-20-2020, 08:42 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
Out with the New and In with the Old. Cobb is the best value and not a flash in the pan like Trout Nothing like a Pan Fried Trout when the Values go South
I don't say this to diminish Cobb in any way, but come on. Trout is not a "flash in the pan." He is the best player of his generation.

In eight full seasons, he has finished top two in MVP voting seven times. He has led the A.L. in offensive WAR seven times in eight years. The only season he wasn't in the top two in MVP voting and failed to lead the league in offensive WAR, he missed a third of the season due to injury.

Be it 1910 or 2020, those are otherworldly stats.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:46 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

So, what does a 1/1 for a player that didn’t become a star go for? Or even another 5/5? What is the average Joe’s bump on these serial numbered cards?

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com