NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-09-2017, 06:19 PM
D@le Irv*n

Default Good card for a soak?

Not knowing if 52's are an OK card to soak, but would this not be a good candidate card if they were?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-topps-3...IAAOSw-0xYaz~C
Old 01-09-2017, 07:10 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

1) I don't think '52s are good to soak.
2) If they were, this would clean up better and may be VG or better.

You've got common 1952s. Give it a shot. Surely you've got a beater duplicate you don't care that much about.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:18 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
2) If they were, this would clean up better and may be VG or better.

You've got common 1952s. Give it a shot. Surely you've got a beater duplicate you don't care that much about.
My thoughts too as everything looks to be on top of that card. Obviously, it depends on what type of glue was used, but that looks like it would peel right off if it was water soluble?

My only dupes are creased so I don't think that would be a conclusive test?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:26 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
My thoughts too as everything looks to be on top of that card. Obviously, it depends on what type of glue was used, but that looks like it would peel right off if it was water soluble?

My only dupes are creased so I don't think that would be a conclusive test?
I have an extra Don Bollweg I will throw in some water tomorrow for an hour and report back in a couple days after it is completely dry. I know I have seen some 52 Mantles that have the been soaked, bleached, and burnt(another way to whiten) look.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:15 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
that looks like it would peel right off if it was water soluble?
In the 50s they had Elmer's Glue, which likely is water soluble.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 01-09-2017 at 08:17 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-09-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I have an extra Don Bollweg I will throw in some water tomorrow for an hour and report back in a couple days after it is completely dry. I know I have seen some 52 Mantles that have the been soaked, bleached, and burnt(another way to whiten) look.

Burnt? How do they go about that one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjc1983 View Post
Burnt? How do they go about that one?

Trade secret. It has been discussed before but I try not to post how to alter cards on an open forum.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I beg to differ. But, depends on the type of glue used. The '50's also had LePage's glue, which stuck a card to a scrapbook like cement and would usually leave a brown stain. I once successfully gave a '52 Billy Martin a warm bath. Luckily, water soluble glue was used to afix into a scrapbook. The foreign paper residue peeled right off after the bath. No damage to the card after heavy pressing and drying. The trick is to keep an eye on the process. Don't dip it and go to the Bahamas for a week.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:05 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
I beg to differ. But, depends on the type of glue used. The '50's also had LePage's glue, which stuck a card to a scrapbook like cement and would usually leave a brown stain. I once successfully gave a '52 Billy Martin a warm bath. Luckily, water soluble glue was used to afix into a scrapbook. The foreign paper residue peeled right off after the bath. No damage to the card after heavy pressing and drying. The trick is to keep an eye on the process. Don't dip it and go to the Bahamas for a week.
If someone purchased that card then chooses to crack and soak it, and is successful, then I think they did very well on that high # Merson.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Trade secret. It has been discussed before but I try not to post how to alter cards on an open forum.

Fair enough . Good philosophy.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:29 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
I beg to differ. But, depends on the type of glue used. The '50's also had LePage's glue, which stuck a card to a scrapbook like cement and would usually leave a brown stain.
Also known as Rubber Cement - Elmer's and other brands remain in production. No sure about these days, but years ago commercial artists of all types would use it in their mock-ups. I grew up with it. In the Fifties my father had a Sunday paper comic strip. I still have a lot of his originals. He would draw on a giant stock poster board. Afterward, if he didn't like how something turned out he would redraw it on another piece, cut it out, and affix it over the section he wanted to change. Then it would go to the colorist and printers and look great in the paper. And yes, over a long period of time the stuff dries out and falls off. And yes, there are residue brown stains still.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:42 AM
Dave Foster

RC is a different product than LePage's. RC balls up like snot. LePage's is down for the count.