NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-30-2016, 04:06 AM

Default C1920 Motorcycle Perfume Bottle

photo PICT0137_zpsvlkikywa.jpg

Got this in the mail yesterday...a 3 3/4" long by 2" tall motorcycle perfume bottle by Dralle of Hamburg Germany...Haven't been able to pinpoint the date but guesstimate c1920's...The original cap and label put it over the line for me!...

photo close front_zpsfaf65ei6.jpg

photo back_zpsno9xg4qz.jpg

photo label_zpssbyitf4h.jpg

Old 07-30-2016, 05:31 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
 photo PICT0137_zpsvlkikywa.jpg

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Navy"]Got this in the mail yesterday...a 3 3/4" long by 2" tall motorcycle perfume bottle by Dralle of Hamburg Germany...Haven't been able to pinpoint the date but guesstimate c1920's...The original cap and label put it over the line for me!.

Now that perfume bottle is cool...
Old 07-30-2016, 06:13 AM
Ben North

That is a neat bottle, but that billiards piece behind it is AWESOME!
Old 07-30-2016, 07:38 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Yet another great piece Carlton!
Congrats!
I'm curious... What's your earliest motorcycle-related item??
Oh, and we haven't talked in a while, I hope all is well.

Brent
Old 07-31-2016, 01:33 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks all for your kind approval...eBay seller had a BIN of like $250.00 I think it was...or best offer...got it for $180.00....but seller was in Calif so had to pay $16 in sales tax...so with shipping and all came to right over $200.00...but at least it was packed right...never seen it before...although there is one on ebay now for $79 BIN...but without the cap and label...which was everything to me...In person you don't notice the dried perfume residue very much like in the photos...Don't think I'll clean it...it sort of says it's ancient...

Ben....glad you like the billiards guys...that's a Vienna bronze from about 1880...never seen another!...its amazing the upright pool cue is still intact

Brent...nice to hear from you...I suppose my oldest motorcycle piece is from the teens...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 07-31-2016 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:41 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Accept my apologies I am by no mean trying to highjack the thread but I never get to show this thing off. You asked about "earliest motorcycle" related Here ya go.....1909 Erie motorbike.

QUOTE=Huysmans;1566806]Yet another great piece Carlton!
Congrats!

Brent[/QUOTE]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150814_083711.jpg (81.0 KB, 205 views)
Old 07-31-2016, 07:08 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Accept my apologies I am by no mean trying to highjack the thread but I never get to show this thing off. You asked about "earliest motorcycle" related Here ya go.....1909 Erie motorbike.

QUOTE=Huysmans;1566806]Yet another great piece Carlton!
Congrats!

Brent
[/QUOTE]

That's amazing Michael!
Thanks for sharing that!
How much of the bike is original?
Old 07-31-2016, 03:16 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Thanks!! This belonged to my father before he passed away a year ago. I believe it's all original except the gas tank. My dad must not have been able to find one so fabricated one himself
Old 07-31-2016, 10:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

Both the bottle and the bike are impressive.

Gotta wonder about the perfume company making that sort of figural bottle that long ago. Sort of an Avon kind of thing.

The bike looks like a 2 1/2 HP add on kit, although the head area looks more like the 3 1/2 HP.
https://yeoldecycleshoppe.wordpress....bike-brochure/

Even if it was added on to the bicycle later, it's still very cool. And if it's the 2 1/2, I like the tank better than what the brochure shows.

The bike itself could be pretty interesting. It's hard to tell from the pics, but the frame tubes look a bit bigger than the standard bicycle sizes of inch and 1 1/8 inch. There were some with oversize tubes made starting in the late 1890's Is there a name on the front? There's usually a metal plate there, sometimes really ornate.
Erie also made frames for the 2 1/2, so it might be theirs.

Not sure about the 2 1/2, but the 3 1/2 used Curtis carburetors, the same Curtis who was a motorcycle racer turned aviator and according to the ad the carburetors were used on 90% of "airships" giving it a connection to early aviation as well as being an early motorcycle.

Steve B
Old 08-01-2016, 10:17 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default many times

similar bottles were used to sell candy. I still have one on the shelf. My favorite perfume bottle was the base ball one in Kashmanian's book (think so anyway - I do have crs).
Old 08-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Not sure about the 2 1/2, but the 3 1/2 used Curtis carburetors, the same Curtis who was a motorcycle racer turned aviator and according to the ad the carburetors were used on 90% of "airships" giving it a connection to early aviation as well as being an early motorcycle.

Steve B
Not trying to nitpick but incase anyone is interested in learning more it's Curtiss with two "s"'s

Last edited by baseball tourist; 08-02-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:55 PM

Default this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
similar bottles were used to sell candy. I still have one on the shelf. My favorite perfume bottle was the base ball one in Kashmanian's book (think so anyway - I do have crs).
http://www.network54.com/Forum/56713...+PICKUP+THREAD
Would that be the same one in the third post down in the 2008 link above?

Old 08-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Not trying to nitpick but incase anyone is interested in learning more it's Curtiss with two "s"'s
DOH! You're correct. And yes, it would help anyone searching if I'd spelled it right.

Steve B