NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-17-2016, 01:34 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Default 34G Gehrig...third time around!?

Jason Schwartz here in case this post is seen as negative toward a seller.

As I'm in the market for a Gehrig, I can't help making note when this raw beauty comes up again and again and again (!) on eBay from the same seller.

Each time it has sold for what seems like a fair price but shortly after is reposted for sale as if the card had not already sold.

The second time around I queried the seller and received no response. Am asking again, so we'll see. There are certainly aspects of this that fit the characteristics of a scam, but I believe this to be a reputable seller and a legit card.

All I can think of is that buyers are discovering something about it. I'd speculate trimming or repairs, but the card continues to be guaranteed as unaltered.

Any theories?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131848327678

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 06-17-2016, 01:47 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Might want to check this thread.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ht=battlefield
Old 06-17-2016, 01:48 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Well I can tell you that the seller is battlefield and quick search of this site will tell you all you need to know.

Chances are the scan is not showing you the facts.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

lol, jb.

The battlefield siren went off.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:53 PM
Greg Z@y@tz

I am NOT an expert in '34 Goudeys...that said, something looks "funny" with the reverse. The card appears to have previously been glued(?) or something...

WHY is it ungraded??? A card apparently THAT nice at THAT price point???

Spidey sense are tingling....

Good Luck!
Old 06-17-2016, 01:57 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
Oh wow! Thanks for the tip. Really disappointing though.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
I am NOT an expert in '34 Goudeys...that said, something looks "funny" with the reverse. The card appears to have previously been glued(?) or something...

Good Luck!
It most definitely has been soaked and has color loss or thinning in the print from the glue. It was likely a poor 10 or a 1 because of this and they broke it out to get a higher return.

Peter Spaeth

Negative feedback rating Negative 21 65 155

Nuf ced probably.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:00 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Seller has 21 negatives this month alone...more than enough for me to shop elsewhere.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-17-2016, 02:02 PM
Scott S

Might want to read the negative feedback left for the seller here.

Safe to say - run, don't walk away!
Old 06-17-2016, 02:03 PM
Dave_Berg

Stay wayyyyyy clear. Alters scans
Gr3g N@z@r3th

If you want a nice SGC or PSA "A" grade, go for it, just don't pay for an "8" and be disappointed when it doesn't happen.........
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Here's my 10, it has no thinning but the same light color loss on the reverse which gave it the grade.

I find the Goudeys to lose the green text very easily to soaking glue remnants.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Second try -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34gehrig.JPG (42.6 KB, 238 views)

Old 06-17-2016, 02:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

Aside from altering scans this seller is well known for selling nice looking altered cards. That is why you see the same card relisted. Someone buys it, sends it into PSA for a grade, it comes back altered and is returned. The cycle then repeats itself until an unfortunate collector keeps it raw or forgets to send it in to be graded on time.

I bought one card from this seller and that is what happened in my case. As soon as I requested to return it, it was relisted. The next auction actually ended before I even mailed the card back as there was a delay getting the card back from PSA.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:18 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

This is really depressing to read. Seriously!

Old 06-17-2016, 02:25 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

How could anyone even consider buying a card from a seller with that kind of feedback? It's a fascinating thing to consider.

I WANT TO BELIEVE!
Old 06-17-2016, 02:35 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
How could anyone even consider buying a card from a seller with that kind of feedback? It's a fascinating thing to consider.

I WANT TO BELIEVE!
I made my one battlefield purchase before I was active on this board. The card looked so nice and I figured worst case scenario I would be out some shipping and grading fees. It certainly wasn't the most expensive lesson I've ever learned, but that was 50 bucks I will never see again.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

The better question is who are all these thousands of folks leaving them positive feedback? Obviously their business model is to count on people who don't know much or don't scrutinize cards closely.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:40 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Darn. I feel like I'd better take a close look at my 34G Lefty Grove!

Old 06-17-2016, 02:45 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The better question is who are all these thousands of folks leaving them positive feedback? Obviously their business model is to count on people who don't know much or don't scrutinize cards closely.
My guess is that the low value cards they sell are mostly legit, and these generate the positive feedback. They make their money off the high end altered cards, and use all the small transactions to build the feedback score creating the false perception of credibility. Part of the reason I fell for it was the high score.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:48 PM
D@le Irv*n

Just how bad do things need to get before E-Bay does something about these clowns?

Last edited by irv; 06-17-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:56 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post

I WANT TO BELIEVE!
It's done time and time again. They make money hand over fist doing this. That is why they do it. That is why they continue to do it.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
My guess is that the low value cards they sell are mostly legit, and these generate the positive feedback. They make their money off the high end altered cards, and use all the small transactions to build the feedback score creating the false perception of credibility. Part of the reason I fell for it was the high score.
I would guess that by the number of people they fool on the high end, they are probably just selling crap across the board and counting on people not being very astute. Anyone looking at their feedback is going to see the large number of negatives too, not like a high positive score can hide that.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-17-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:02 PM
Jeff D

Default My BF Experience

I had purchased 30+ cards from this seller between Aug and Nov of last year. I sent my first submission to PSA in November after reading the threads. Unfortunately, a majority of the cards came back altered, trimmed or recolored and the few that came back with grades were dissapointing. I returned the altered cards I could with the help of PayPal's 180 day policy. I was stuck with a few altered cards that I received back from PSA after the PayPal deadline and I kept the graded cards. Unfortunately, this wasn't the only seller I had this experience with. I look at this as a lesson learned and have put the brakes on buying raw cards except from a few select/trusted sellers.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:09 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Why guess? Look at their positive feedback. Plenty of relatively expensive cards in there.
Those are probably collectors who report feedback immediately after receiving the card before realizing it's been altered, or never send the card in to be graded. My assumption is based on my personal experience, and those of others who have posted on this board.

Has anyone purchased a higher end card from battlefield and been pleased with the grading results? I have yet to hear of one who has.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Eric Bea.chley

I purchased a bunch of non-sports cards in the Spring in 3 batches for between $2 - $30. Almost all were damaged but didn't show up in the scans. Didn't receive a response for returns so I left feedback on Batch #1.

16 negatives and 9 neutrals.

Seller rating went from 98.4% to 98.3%.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:24 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post

Good Luck!
Lou is trimmed and who knows what else. Seller should be avoided at all costs. Amazing eBay permits this sh!t to go on. There are several sellers doing the same thing. Stick to graded you lower the chances as much as 50% of getting a bad card depending on which holder it is in.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Those are probably collectors who report feedback immediately after receiving the card before realizing it's been altered, or never send the card in to be graded. My assumption is based on my personal experience, and those of others who have posted on this board.

Has anyone purchased a higher end card from battlefield and been pleased with the grading results? I have yet to hear of one who has.
You don't need to send in a card to be graded to know it's bad or overgraded.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:44 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
You don't need to send in a card to be graded to know it's bad or overgraded.
You dont, but unfortunately the people who keep falling for this scam do. These are the people I believe are leaving the positive feedback for cards selling for a few hundred bucks or more.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
You dont, but unfortunately the people who keep falling for this scam do. These are the people I believe are leaving the positive feedback for cards selling for a few hundred bucks or more.
I think we agree on that. I think the place we disagree is whether they are puffing up their feedback with accurately graded and authentic lower end cards; my feeling is they are probably bad across the board and taking advantage of the fact that most people just aren't paying attention or don't know the difference.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-17-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:04 PM
Jeff D

Default BF's BS Pictures

Examples
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53 Spahn & 62 Mantle PSA return.jpg (40.4 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle 62 Topps.jpg (3.6 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg Spahn 53 Topps.jpg (4.4 KB, 254 views)
Old 06-17-2016, 07:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I think we agree on that. I think the place we disagree is whether they are puffing up their feedback with accurately graded and authentic lower end cards; my feeling is they are probably bad across the board and taking advantage of the fact that most people just aren't paying attention or don't know the difference.
If true the issue is even worse than I thought. And you're right the feedback score is hard to believe. It's sad that so many people don't realize they're getting cards that are lower quality than advertised, or altered. I think we can also both agree that this is a seller that should be avoided in all cases.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:23 PM
Ryan Waggoner

I'm just thankful I found this board before I bought anything from battlefield. Before I came here I was in awe of the '52s she had for sale and I was planning on buying a bunch from her. Thankfully, the great people on this board educated me on her scam.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
If true the issue is even worse than I thought. And you're right the feedback score is hard to believe. It's sad that so many people don't realize they're getting cards that are lower quality than advertised, or altered. I think we can also both agree that this is a seller that should be avoided in all cases.
Absolutely.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:36 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
I'm just thankful I found this board before I bought anything from battlefield. Before I came here I was in awe of the '52s she had for sale and I was planning on buying a bunch from her. Thankfully, the great people on this board educated me on her scam.
You and me both!
Old 06-18-2016, 08:23 AM
Scott Russell

Sometimes it's people like this that make me accept the fact I'll never make it "big" in the hobby. Two reasons. One, I'm too ethical to do the shitty things needed to make 1000% profit on items. Two, big sellers like these are going to poison the hobby so badly that they eventually kill it for the reputable people.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:35 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Just how bad do things need to get before E-Bay does something about these clowns?
My major pet peeve is ebay sellers calling counterfeits reprints. I report dozens of these a week. Some sellers make it their entire business!

There are basically two different types of these listings. Topps cards which are mint but have OBVIOUSLY never had any authorized reprints, since, well, Topps would do it themselves (and does of course with sets like archives etc...) Online these cards look REALLY good, so I imagine you get a lot of unscrupulous people who buy them thinking they can then pass them off as the real thing.

The second type is artificially aged pre war cards that the seller lists as "I think it's a reprint so I'm selling it as such." These are more nefarious because dumb people gamble $100 on a $2000 card on the chance that the seller is "wrong."

I make it my mission to report this shit constantly, but it seems to have no impact. I have also contacted Topps encouraging them to send a cease and desist letter to ebay, as selling counterfeit vintage cards will eventually affect their present business. I even wrote an ebay guide showing the difference between a legit reprint and a counterfeit. Talking about CCC sets and Renata Galasso and the like. It was removed in 24 hours.

If we all reported crap sales we see maybe volume of reports would make an impact. Or we could all just sit around and bitch about how crooked things are...
Old 06-18-2016, 08:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Sometimes it's people like this that make me accept the fact I'll never make it "big" in the hobby. Two reasons. One, I'm too ethical to do the shitty things needed to make 1000% profit on items. Two, big sellers like these are going to poison the hobby so badly that they eventually kill it for the reputable people.
People have been selling overgraded and altered raw cards forever; at least since I started collecting again in the early 90s. SCD used to be full of ads from that generation of card doctors. It was rampant then. It hasn't killed the hobby, just made people who care more cautious.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-18-2016 at 08:39 AM.