NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-21-2015, 11:30 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Default What would you do???

Let's say you had the only known example of a card (no other similar cards graded by PSA, SGC, or BVG) and it was currently entombed inside an SGC holder. The card is slipping around inside the holder and you want to have it reslabbed by another company because you don't trust that SGC would do a better job the second time around. Would you send the card to PSA or BVG??? If so, once the card was reslabbed, wouldn't it look like there are now two known examples of this card and possibly bring the value of the card down??? How would you handle this situation??? Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:46 AM
An$on

My guess is that something that rare wouldn't drag the value down if it showed only two examples. Even so, you could always just point to the fact that you accounted for both of those if you were going to sell it, etc.

I've found plenty of inconsistencies with PSA, but I'd go with them over BVG if those were the two options. Bigger reputation and would probably sell easier (all other things considered equal) IMO if you decided to move it.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Luke Lyon

If I see a pre-war card in a BVG holder, I wonder why it isn't in a PSA or SGC holder. I've seen quite a few BVG 4s that have previously been in SGC or PSA 1.5 through 2.5 holders. Just my stance/opinion.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:20 PM
Bry@n

BVG holders also have that plastic layer inside the holder to help secure the card - looks great in hand but makes a good scan/photo really difficult. Something to consider if you are thinking of selling at some point.

Have you tried contacting SGC? Maybe they would work with you to get a better-fitting gasket made - then you wouldn't have to worry about pop reports.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:22 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Have you tried contacting SGC? Maybe they would work with you to get a better-fitting gasket made - then you wouldn't have to worry about pop reports.
I agree with this. However, if you do send it in to PSA for a cross-over, couldn't you ask them to return the SGC flip?
Old 01-21-2015, 12:32 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Thank you for the responses gentlemen; I appreciate it. I understand some folks hesitancy to use BVG based on resale value; personal preference, past grading practices, etc...I also understand (based on a PM), that most grading companies will return the broken slab and/or label as David mentioned. The label could then be returned to SGC and they could be asked to remove the card from there database. It's an option I suppose...
Old 01-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I would call sgc as well and see if they can do a better job
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:10 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Good points by all.....

Some great points on here. I agree/disagree with some however. If it is one of a kind, I don't think it matters what holder it is in. BVG is clearly the best for securing and presenting, PSA for most likely the best $$$ down the road (but then again if its a one of one it does not matter does it?). You can also tell folks the story of reslabbing as someone mentioned so as to not skew the pop repsorts.

IMO Beckett clearly has the BEST holders but I totally understand the value aspect and the Set Registry aspects of all 3 companies.

SGC is a great and consistent company in terms of grading but if you plead ignorance about thier issues with thier gaskets then you have been on the moon the last few years.

Some companies clearly market themselves better (whether they are better or not is not my point).

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 01-21-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:01 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

It's just amazing to me that complaints about SGC holders continue to mount and nothing is done about it. I actually won 2 T206 cards in the recent Saco River Auctions and received them yesterday. Guess what, one card had slipped completely out of the gasket.

SGC you need to do something about these constant issues and no its not in anyway convenient for me to ship the card back to you to repair something that should have been done correctly to start with. These holders suck and we don't need more replies from SGC saying that they are working on the problem or that we can always have them reholdered. We need redesigned holders and I'm not going to buy another SGC graded card until the holders are changed. If others do the same maybe SGC will take real action.

Should I start another thread where others that agree can voice their dis-satisfaction?

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 01-21-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:37 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Crack it, keep the flip and send it to PSA. Keep a scan of the card in the SGC holder and when you scan it the PSA holder, include the SGC flip.

Since the card is as rare as you say, and if you were to choose Beckett, it's very possible they would deem it fake due to lack of experience with that issue.

BTW, I'm not sure if PSA would return your SGC flip.

Maybe we should start a thread showing flips from cracked slabs for more accurate reports?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:10 AM

I know BVG gets a bad rap in the vintage world, but honestly their holders are indestructible. You cannot break one if you tried. And even when you try, it's still tough.

I've had SGC and PSA holders fall apart in simple instances like dropping the card on the ground. So if your number 1 priority is securing the card, I'd go with BVG.