NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Another BST section for a paid seller?

I posted this in Frank's thread but it really deserves it's own.

What if a large ebay seller wants to sell on the BST AND since they don't want to hog up the live auction section, or other sections, they pay to have their own BST subsection? There would be 0 cost to our members and no markup on the buys there. It might go into effect as soon as today......If it is implemented it will be on a trial basis.

NO OTHER BST sections will be affected at all, nadda.

And here is another response from the other thread that addresses a few things too...

If we implement that "seller paid" BST section it is going to be on a trial basis. That seller will have their own section for listing whatever they want to, however they want to...as they are paying a substantial fee to do it. Until that type section is proven I wouldn't want any other sellers to have a section. If it works, then we can go from there. But we aren't talking a small charge, it would be significant. So a private seller would still want to utilize all of the other BST sections that are free, and will be free, to post in.
To reiterate there would be no additional cost to buyers...so if there was an auction that ended at $50, the cost would be $50 (plus a non-jacked up shipping charge)
Old 03-06-2014, 12:05 PM

sounds good to me since it would be a seperate section from the regular BST. If they have lower BIN prices than EBAY I assume they would sell more.

John Keating
Old 03-06-2014, 12:10 PM
FredYoung

Sounds OK to me--a trial run can't hurt anything, that I know of!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by keating3620 View Post
sounds good to me since it would be a seperate section from the regular BST. If they have lower BIN prices than EBAY I assume they would sell more.

John Keating
The seller would rather deal with our collective nut cases than ebays . I don't blame him. If there are no roadblocks, obstacles or issues we haven't thought about that aren't overcome-able, this new section, under the Live Auctions and above the 19th Century, could be in effect as soon as this evening.

Let me reiterate NO CURRENT BST SECTIONS will be affected at all. No member will ever have to pay anything to be on this board. No member will ever be charged for selling something. However, this is different and would be a captive commercial BST place for one seller and for all members to frequent, should they desire (and anyone on the BST probably would want to check it out).
Old 03-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Alex

Does selling retail space affect your license for the site?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:26 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Worth a shot......can you say who it is?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:29 PM
pete ullman

does his name start with Prob...and ending rhyme with Mean?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Sean Costello

It sounds to me like a good idea.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Luke Lyon

Sounds good to me. I always like it if I can support the advertisers that help keep our site in operation.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:35 PM

For full disclosure, it would be myself and Greg Morris who would be running auctions/news/promotions/our own section. We are trying to figure out what sort of 'promotion' to add for net 54 members and if this does go into place I would like input. We were thinking a 1% rebate on won auctions on both net54 and e-bay or something along those lines.

Thanks guys.

Edit for clarity:
Auctions - we would run auctions similar to the auction section, just our own stuff so we don't clog up other sections
BST - We would post our buying threads and selling threads in their own section so we don't clog up other sections
News - Our recent pickups, what is happening in the hobby for us
Promotions - Giveaways, Kickbacks, you name it we are open to trying it.

We would never get where we are without you guys as collectors and buyers, so we would like to listen to all reasonable suggestions and actually make implementations rather than refrain from posting at all or giving dodgy answers.

Last edited by Sean1125; 03-06-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:36 PM
pete ullman

how about 34% off?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Steven

Interesting idea and I see a couple ways this could go.

I'm assuming Leon would hand choose all sellers, as its his site, but would there be a set list of standards to be able to sell on the site they would have to meet? Is there a feedback system associated with this? Who handles complaints and problems with transactions?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 PM
H Murphy

"let`s run it up the flagpole" , been waiting years to say that .
Old 03-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Dave Fa*st

Auctions...news...promotions, etc under it's own BST section. Doesn't really sound like a BST at that point.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Scott S

Will this additional revenue for Leon help to lower our membership costs here?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:41 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
For full disclosure, it would be myself and Greg Morris who would be running auctions/news/promotions/our own section. We are trying to figure out what sort of 'promotion' to add for net 54 members and if this does go into place I would like input. We were thinking a 1% rebate on won auctions on both net54 and e-bay or something along those lines.

Thanks guys.
I guess my question to Leon would be, is it YOUR section, or just a new section that you guys would be the first to inhabit? If you guys are wildly successful and others want to jump in, would they move into the "paid" section or get their own? I.e. could we possibly down the road have 20 paid guys with their own sections? That seems cumbersome.

Not trying break balls here - I've had several good experiences with Greg and welcome a new idea....just kicking the tires.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I guess my question to Leon would be, is it YOUR section, or just a new section that you guys would be the first to inhabit? If you guys are wildly successful and others want to jump in, would they move into the "paid" section or get their own? I.e. could we possibly down the road have 20 paid guys with their own sections? That seems cumbersome.

Not trying break balls here - I've had several good experiences with Greg and welcome a new idea....just kicking the tires.
I completely understand and have to leave this one for Leon to answer, I believe that is the purpose of the thread (and a trial) to drive the 'what-ifs' and questions that need to be answered along the way.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
how about 34% off?
54%?

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 03-06-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Sebastian

Sound good, a trial cant hurt
Old 03-06-2014, 01:33 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Isn't a paid section just like having a banner at the top to an individual's website that I can click on and see what they are selling? I don't see why a section on here would be needed if they are already an advertiser either way I have to click on there looking for something to buy.

Another thought is would the posts keep popping up when I click on the "New Posts" tab? I use this tab because I like looking at all the posts across the forum, but it seems like it might be a bit much sifting through 100+ posts of what is for sale by one individual. At that point I would have to go to each section avoiding the paid bst section that I am wanting to avoid.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltman View Post
Auctions...news...promotions, etc under it's own BST section. Doesn't really sound like a BST at that point.
Well, you are correct. That is why it is under our member's free Live Auction section in the BST hierarchy. The current Live Auction section isn't technically a BST area either.

The seller(s) in the proposed section are not unlike any place else on this board. While I don't think I want any rules per se', I feel whomever the seller is will need to behave in an ethical manner. Haven't we always tried to police it that way on our BST? If I get a complaint I am sure it can be handled. If I get more complaints or headaches, then there won't be a section like that any more. It can go up and come down without going to Congress (*not mean to be a political statement). I spoke with Sean a few times already and he (hey Sean) knows that the plug can be pulled at any time, if we decide to go forward with a trial.

And Andy, I just saw your questions. They are good questions. Let's see how that plays out.....we don't want it to be worse than it is now

and one other thing too, the discussions have mainly revolved around selling in that space.....the other things are possible but less discussed so far...

Last edited by Leon; 03-06-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:41 PM
Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Another thought is would the posts keep popping up when I click on the "New Posts" tab? I use this tab because I like looking at all the posts across the forum, but it seems like it might be a bit much sifting through 100+ posts of what is for sale by one individual. At that point I would have to go to each section avoiding the paid bst section that I am wanting to avoid.
+1

I brought this up in the other thread. It would potentially make the "New Posts" results useless as the volume of paid BST posts increases.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Dan Paradis

This seems better planned than the Affordable Health Care Act. For those who are worried if will affect your current use of N54, don't. If you like visiting your existing BST forums, you can keep visiting your existing BST forums.

All kidding aside, let's give it a try.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Marty

If this goes into effect (sounds like it is headed that way), I wonder if we will see a sharp increase in the number of board members as a result.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Clayton

If it wouldn't affect the current B/S/T area, I don't see the harm in giving it a shot.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
If it wouldn't affect the current B/S/T area, I don't see the harm in giving it a shot.
Same here. I love the B/S/T section, so long as it doesn't affect that area, I'm all for it as well. And as long as it is in it's own subsection, I can browse it if I want, or ignore it if I choose. I like options!

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 03-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Rich Klein

Leon's job as owner of this board is to do his best to monetize the time and effort he spends doing this.

If I understand the concept correctly, what I would do if I were Leon is to do one of two things

1) To put the PAID BST Listings in BOLD and put them on top of the listings.

2) Create a NEW link, similar to the BST link and let them really have some pub,

MOO

Rich
Old 03-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Leon's job as owner of this board is to do his best to monetize the time and effort he spends doing this.

If I understand the concept correctly, what I would do if I were Leon is to do one of two things

1) To put the PAID BST Listings in BOLD and put them on top of the listings.

2) Create a NEW link, similar to the BST link and let them really have some pub,

MOO

Rich
Thanks for the suggestions Rich. So far I still like the idea of having the section being proposed be 1 BST section just like the other 9 BST sections. It would be below the current Live Auction section and above the 19th Century BST section. That way if people want to ignore those 2 top sections it's easy to do. And I like having the Live Auction one at top as it needs more attention, again, imo.... Always open to listening to good suggestions so thanks again...
Old 03-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Ad@m Be11

Would the new paid seller be excluded from posting in the other BST? Would we see advertisements referencing his listings on his page? Will this new deal significantly effect the amount of outbound email from Net54 ie) the new seller is running a sale so a mass email gets sent to all members?
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240
Old 03-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBST95 View Post
Would the new paid seller be excluded from posting in the other BST? Would we see advertisements referencing his listings on his page? Will this new deal significantly effect the amount of outbound email from Net54 ie) the new seller is running a sale so a mass email gets sent to all members?
I wouldn't expect them to list in the other sections. So that won't be an issue of advertisements elsewhere unless they are extraordinary in nature. The seller(s) will not have the ability to send emails from the system. They would have no more allowances than other members in that respect.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

If it helps the site, great.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:32 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

My thoughts are go for it. I have had many dealings with Sean, and they have all been positive. Might be a very fresh addition to our forum.....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 03-06-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:49 PM

The thread format is really terrible for auctions. Unless the format is different it will be a mess and I would probably avoid it.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Daryl

1) I think it's awesome - and that the proceeds should go towards increasing the PM inbox size!

2) Sean is young - but he's becoming a real hobby mover, shaker and play maker!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
1) I think it's awesome - and that the proceeds should go towards increasing the PM inbox size!

2) Sean is young - but he's becoming a real hobby mover, shaker and play maker!
Poof.....the PM inbox is now 250 for all registered members, instead of 100. If there are system issues (I doubt there will be) I reserve the right to set it back.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Awesome Leon!! Thanks

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 03-06-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Poof.....the PM inbox is now 250 for all registered members, instead of 100. If there are system issues (I doubt there will be) I reserve the right to set it back.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Leon, you are the man!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:59 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
You mean all I had to do was ask!?!? I've been cursing that limit for two years
Old 03-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Best news I have heard all week! Thanks Leon!

Jeff

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 03-06-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Very much appreciated. Thank you, Leon.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 03-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Its a way for them to get closer to the people buying stuff, and circumventing the fees of:

1) Auction software, particularly the high price that simple auction site charges
2) Ebay listing fees
3) Paypal fees

It makes it cheaper for you, better for the board and better for the seller while keeping the same format that currently exists.

If you had to ask me. The end game is to have seller based auction listings with real auction software like ebay has, rather than through postings.

There are a number of free scripts out there to accomplish this and might be a better route than simply making threads with auction listings.

Kevin
Old 03-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
My thoughts are go for it. I have had many dealings with Sean, and they have all been positive. Might be a very fresh addition to our forum.....
I agree with Kevin. I very much welcome something new and if Leon is good with it, I feel he would know best. It's on a trial basis, so if it doesn't work out, it will disappear.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 03-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Fr@nk H.0r.v@th

Default thumbs up

Thanks for asking our opinions. To me this sounds like a mutually beneficial relationship, net54 gets an influx of product and the seller avoids ebay and has the attention of a dedicated consumer base.

Personally, I'd love to see ebay go under. If this is one small chink in their armor, I see that as a bonus.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Yes

I like the idea and think it is worth a shot.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:42 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Sounds like the seller will save some money and pass some of the savings along to the buyer, and the forum gets some too win win win.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This trial has been implemented. We'll see how it goes and I do wish Sean and Greg the very best of luck with it. And thanks for all of the feedback too. A rolling stone gathers no moss ......
Old 03-07-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keating3620 View Post

John Keating
+1
Old 03-07-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
This trial has been implemented. We'll see how it goes and I do wish Sean and Greg the very best of luck with it. And thanks for all of the feedback too. A rolling stone gathers no moss ......
Actually, that MYTH got busted
Old 03-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Gone already?

I'm sorry it didn't work out. I received my winnings earlier this week, everything looked great!