NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-26-2014, 06:48 PM

Default mlfink83

If you are dealing with or thinking about dealing with this member I would be careful. Information is as follows.

1/22 He has backed out of a deal with me after I set cards to the side for him.

1/26 I received an e-mail from another member that states:
"The same Mike guy who supposedly screwed you tried forever to get my 51 Bowman Mays and keeps backing out, then getting back in, then backing out. I gave up."

When I made a post on his thread inquiring as to how he couldn't afford $50 in cards, but could afford $2000 his response was that this card isn't for him.

A member who he is trying to purchase a similar card from gave me a PM that states very well he claims to have the money himself.

Quote:
2 Things, Does this include shipping and can you wait until Thursday at the very latest to get the money? I Have a school refund check that will be here any day now, hopefully tomorrow. The email that came last thrusday said 3-4 business days. I've always gotten it sooner, but at the most it puts things at the end of the week. If something falls through I'll keep you posted, but I have every intent to buy this card. I come here from Jason Jennings and Eric Matthews, and Wymers Auctions. So I'm reputable. I just need a few days to buy it.
I also find it funny, that if he knew funds would be available one day after backing out of the sale of two cards he wanted so much - why would he not contact me to reconfirm that funds would be available and not going to his 'medical issue'?

So for me he has a disability check, for another member he has a school refund check. Yet doesn't actually seem to have money available in the first place.

He then goes on to say in a thread
Quote:
Yes, the bill is taking my refund check detective, that's why I had to back out, I couldn't give you money I didn't have
. You know what's funny? My post wasn't in reference to the cards I was selling, I am long over them - a flake is a flake - the post was in reference to the card he was trying to purchase just one minute earlier from a seller on the boards.

I am not sure what games he is playing, or why.

Anyways, I have more logs to toss but I will leave this for now to see what stews.

Last edited by Sean1125; 01-26-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:38 AM
Dave Foster

Default mlfink83

In the interests of fair and balanced, I just completed a successful sale with Mike Fink. There were no problems. He promptly paid via PP. Excellent communication, in fact he just sent me an em thanking me for the card. I would not hesitate to transact with him again.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
In the interests of fair and balanced, I just completed a successful sale with Mike Fink. There were no problems. He promptly paid via PP. Excellent communication, in fact he just sent me an em thanking me for the card. I would not hesitate to transact with him again.
I always want to hear of transactions gone awry. If no one is out any money and it's a single incident, I chalk up to being human. Anymore than that, in a short to medium time frame, and the member's status on our board will be jeopardized. I know nothing about the situation in the first post (at least I don't think I do ).....

Last edited by Leon; 02-01-2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added verbiage to be more clear
Old 01-31-2014, 03:15 PM
Mike Fink

Default Thanks pclpads

I've since wrote on another page where this was posted that I had the money now to go ahead with the transaction with Sean and haven't heard back, and now can't find that thread to see if he's responded on there. Again my apologies, just had a bill that needed to be taken care of, didn't realize I was getting more than one check so closely together. Won't happen again Leon, Thanks for understanding!
Old 01-31-2014, 03:26 PM

I accept Mike's apology. I simply would like to see that it doesn't happen again - to anyone here. Only time will tell.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:14 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfink83 View Post
I've since wrote on another page where this was posted that I had the money now to go ahead with the transaction with Sean and haven't heard back, and now can't find that thread to see if he's responded on there. Again my apologies, just had a bill that needed to be taken care of, didn't realize I was getting more than one check so closely together. Won't happen again Leon, Thanks for understanding!
I had actually read the posts in your WTB thread (1951 Bowman Mantle) and from my perspective, it seemed like you had some pretty major issues that had arisen... having had some major stuff myself a few months back, I felt it seemed worth giving you benefit of the doubt based on what I'd read. Hope things are well and happy buying going forward.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=182328

Last edited by itjclarke; 01-31-2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: past participle
Old 01-31-2014, 04:17 PM
Mike Fink

Default Thanks guys!

This was a learning experience that won't happen again. Its very nice to finally find a forum that looks out for each other and not some of the groups I've been apart of in the past. Thanks again! Especially to you Sean!
Old 01-31-2014, 04:58 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I'm going to say this because I think it needs to be said (as it applies to someone in this thread). Not only should buyers follow through with a commitment, but sellers should too. If you agree to sell a card to someone and have agreed upon the price, that is a commitment, so don't weasel out of the deal if someone else comes along and offers you more money. Just saying.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I'm going to say this because I think it needs to be said (as it applies to someone in this thread). Not only should buyers follow through with a commitment, but sellers should too. If you agree to sell a card to someone and have agreed upon the price, that is a commitment, so don't weasel out of the deal if someone else comes along and offers you more money. Just saying.
Who does it apply to?
Old 01-31-2014, 09:25 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Who does it apply to?
Sean, I have no beef with you. You and I have done some deals together and you were always fair and honest to deal with, but I feel like you’re being hypocritical here. The very same day you posted this thread, there was another thread on the B/S/T for a 1952 Topps Robinson and Mays. The board member that offered them for sale was listing them on someone else’s behalf (not a Net54 member). They were $610 each delivered or both for $1210.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=182289

One of our own board members committed to buy them. The deal was already agreed upon. I’m not going to mention his name because I don’t want to drag him into this (unless he chimes in). Then you inquired about the same cards and were told they were sold. Once you learned they were sold, you offered the seller $1300, $90 more than his asking price knowing they were already sold. The slime ball seller agreed to your offer reneging on his other deal. There is a bit more to the story, but the rest of it isn’t relevant to my point.

Here is what I don’t understand. Why do you think it’s wrong for Mike (the subject of this thread) not to follow through on a commitment to you, but you think it’s okay for the seller of the 1952 Topps not to follow through on his commitment to the board member who agreed to buy them first? You can’t say you didn’t know the deal was already agreed upon, because you did know and that’s why you offered more money than the asking price. Again, Sean, I don’t want to start an argument, but it’s kind of hypocritical to start a thread for Mike not honoring his commitment, but on that very same day you didn’t have a problem with the seller of the ’52 Topps not honoring his.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't know the facts, but as a hypothetical I certainly agree with David that it would be bad form to knowingly try to get a seller to back out of an agreed upon deal and equally bad form for a seller to renege upon receipt of a better offer.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't know the facts, but as a hypothetical I certainly agree with David that it would be bad form to knowingly try to get a seller to back out of an agreed upon deal and equally bad form for a seller to renege upon receipt of a better offer.
+1

If the above scenario played out as relayed by David, truly bad form by both IMO.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-01-2014, 04:43 PM

David,

I believe you should get your facts straight before making posts like that.

Since cammb felt it necessary to 'out' me, only telling a partial truth, I will tell the rest.

There is much, much more to it, but here are the filler facts as to what you released:

When cammb told me that he had to increase his offer (I was under the impression he was still being sold the cards for $1210 - I have messages to prove this). I sent him $90 that same day (completely out of pocket, I got nothing in return) so that he could purchase those cards for $1210.

The kicker? He didn't even purchase the cards.

Last edited by Sean1125; 02-01-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
+1

If the above scenario played out as relayed by David, truly bad form by both IMO.
It didn't.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:58 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Sean, when you were told the cards were sold, that should have been the end of it. There was nothing else to say. Instead, you offered the seller more money than his asking price after you were told they were sold. Are you denying you did that?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:06 PM

You have one side of a story I was told he was getting these cards at the original purchase price and nothing more. what happened in between is moot. I took care of him in the end which you conveniently forgot.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I took care of him in the end which you conveniently forgot.
I didn't forget it. It's not relevant to my point. My point is you shouldn't have interferred to begin with. Bottom line is this, Sean. Did cammb get the cards he agreed to purchase, and, if not, was it a result of your interference?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 PM
I@n Cl@rke

I had something similar to David's story happen to me over a card (1961 Fleer Chamberlain rookie) being sold on the board a few weeks ago. Not making any accusations, because I don't know anyone's but my own perspective... but the seller was not very open about the precise circumstances, when offers came in, etc, but I will say it annoyed me and seemed fishy. If the buyer of that card happens to read this, please PM as I'd be curious to know how it went down.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:28 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Sean, when you were told the cards were sold, that should have been the end of it. There was nothing else to say. Instead, you offered the seller more money than his asking price after you were told they were sold. Are you denying you did that?
Not trying to get in the middle of this, but is everyone denying that that they have never offered a seller more money for an item that they said was sold??
Old 02-01-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I didn't forget it. It's not relevant to my point. My point is you shouldn't have interferred to begin with. Bottom line is this, Sean. Did cammb get the cards he agreed to purchase, and, if not, was it a result of your interference?
He could have purchased the cards for $1210. That was the entire purpose of me sending him the $90. I made a mistake, realized I made a mistake, apologized and did the most I could to fix the situation. You would need to ask cam why he did not purchase when even if he sent the full price (1300) he would be at his net offer of 1210.

Sitting down for dinner with grandparents will resume our argument later.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:32 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
If the buyer of that card happens to read this, please PM as I'd be curious to know how it went down.
Somehow, I think he's already read it.
Whether or not he'll PM you is another story.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:32 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Not trying to get in the middle of this, but is everyone denying that that they have never offered a seller more money for an item that they said was sold??
I never have...and I'd consider it a pretty douchy move. but I'm sure many on here have.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:35 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Maybe not everyone, but I sure am. I've never done that. It's a crappy thing to do.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Never done it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:40 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Fair enough, I stand corrected....I know that it has happened to me a few times.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Count me as having never done that, or even thought about it.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:42 PM
pete ullman

well Kevin...have you? now be honest!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Jason Wells

And im sure he accepted your apology like you did the subject of the thread.Will it happen again?Only time will tell lol
Old 02-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Dan Bretta

I believe if I saw something that was sold I'd ask the new owner if he wanted to make a quick flip for a profit.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I believe if I saw something that was sold I'd ask the new owner if he wanted to make a quick flip for a profit.
I plead guilty to having done that.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Can't recall ever doing this (but I am very old).

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-01-2014, 05:58 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
well Kevin...have you? now be honest!
Pete- Yes, one time that I remember. I was negotiating for a couple of weeks with a seller that had a low pop., PSA 8 T206. We went back and forth on negotiations, and he sent me an email with a buying commitment from another potential buyer. The guy had bad feedback with Ebay, and the seller had really been stringing me along for a long period of time. He was also concerned about credibility with the other guy, and he agreed to a $250 increase for a quick transaction. Guilty as charged on this one particular incident....I don't know that under the circumstances, there was a lot of fault here....
Old 02-01-2014, 06:05 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Never done this, though have contacted the seller a handful of times (usually if I forgot to bid at auction's end) to say "if for any reason the buyer backs out or returns the item, I'd be very interested..." Have never gotten lucky, but figure there's little harm in that. I would never try to talk someone out of a deal he's already committed to.

David- we'll see if anyone reaches out
Old 02-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
+1
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Count me as having never done that, or even thought about it.
I have never tried to kill someones deal. And i wouldnt want that done to me.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
I will admit I have done this a couple times. Both times related to snipes that didn't go through.

The first was for a group of 1960's and 1970's empty Topps display boxes. Most of them were pretty common, but there was a very desirable 1971 Topps Contest Ten-Cent display box. Here is the same type of box. It was obvious this man didn't know what he had. I placed a snipe for $1,400 (or so) and went out to dinner. When I came home I saw the lot ended for $300 but I didn't win. Apparently several forum members had sniping difficulties that night.

I offered him $1,000 after the auction ended for the lot, but he never got back to me.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:42 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
I offered him $1,000 after the auction ended for the lot, but he never got back to me.
Jason, you have to put yourself in the buyer's shoes though. What if it would have been you that won it for $300 and thought you got a really good deal, only to have someone else email the seller afterwards offering more money? It wouldn't feel good if it happened to you. I'm not trying to chastise you for it, just giving you another perspective.

Also, you don't know what that buyer's proxy was. He could have had a $1500 proxy, but just didn't get outbid and won it considerably cheaper. And, maybe that seller did consider your $1000 offer and told the winner that he had a better offer to try and squeeze more money out of the buyer.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:56 PM

I guess it's no joke when I say 'highest prices paid'.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Jason, you have to put yourself in the buyer's shoes though. What if it would have been you that won it for $300 and thought you got a really good deal, only to have someone else email the seller afterwards offering more money? It wouldn't feel good if it happened to you. I'm not trying to chastise you for it, just giving you another perspective.

Also, you don't know what that buyer's proxy was. He could have had a $1500 proxy, but just didn't get outbid and won it considerably cheaper. And, maybe that seller did consider your $1000 offer and told the winner that he had a better offer to try and squeeze more money out of the buyer.
I fully appreciate this and do not condone the action one bit. Out of my 1,000's of transactions on ebay, the BST forum and everywhere else only one example stood out. On a side note, I KNOW I would have been outbid because Mark Theotikos was the winning bidder
Old 02-01-2014, 09:26 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Nope haven't done it....
Old 02-01-2014, 09:32 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Nope haven't done it....
Me either.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Yep. Never done that.
...whatever I want
Old 02-01-2014, 09:42 PM
Tony. Biviano

Default Hypocricy

First of all, Sean, I didn't "out" you. I just told my story to Dave. I did commend you for offering me $90 for the trouble You caused and accepted your money as sort of a peace offering. I told you that as far as I was concerned it was over. I didn't purchase the cards because that slug upped the price. I told him to shove the cards. I guess you didn't purchase them either. Dave's argument with you is that he sees ann hypocrisy with one of your posts and was using my bad experience as an example.

To.ny Bivi.ano

Last edited by Leon; 02-02-2014 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added name per rules
Old 02-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:

Sorry Kevin, my perfect-o-meter won't let me do it...

I have however, offered less for an item on several occasions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-02-2014, 12:57 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Sorry Kevin, my perfect-o-meter won't let me do it...

I have however, offered less for an item on several occasions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Has that ever worked?? If so, I'm following your formula from here on out Mike
Old 02-02-2014, 01:07 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Btw- since no one's PMd, I'll just ask straight up... Sean-- did you end up with the Chamberlain? If not, no worries... If so, that transaction annoyed me big time.. I'd been offering on that card for 9 days, then someone clearly swooped and one (or two) upped me
Old 02-02-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Btw- since no one's PMd, I'll just ask straight up... Sean-- did you end up with the Chamberlain? If not, no worries... If so, that transaction annoyed me big time.. I'd been offering on that card for 9 days, then someone clearly swooped and one (or two) upped me
I have no idea what card you are talking about. No, I did not end up with this card or even make an offer on it.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

If cambb did not purchase the cards, it seems to me he should not keep Sean's $90 whether or not Sean interfered with his purchase.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If cambb did not purchase the cards, it seems to me he should not keep Sean's $90 whether or not Sean interfered with his purchase.
I view it as what I had to do to repair the situation that had arisen from my actions. I have no problem with it.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I view it as what I had to do to repair the situation that had arisen from my actions. I have no problem with it.
Your intent presumably was to compensate him for the incremental price he was being charged. If he did not purchase the cards, he isn't out anything, and isn't harmed.

EDIT TO ADD I wonder if we are going to hear the seller's side of this.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-02-2014 at 07:50 AM.