NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Trey

Default M114 reprints, another publication, or what

I'm far from an expert when it comes to supplements and premiums, but I seem to come across Baseball Magazine premiums from time to time. I have also seen several premiums that use the same photo as M113s and M114s but lack the "Published by Baseball Magazine" line on the bottom left, but has the exact same photographer credit line on the bottom right as M114s. Any ideas on where these came from? Below is a Matty example I came across today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (39.2 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by chipperhank44; 01-08-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 AM

Default Reprints

I have suspected for a dozen or so years that someone has reprinted some of the Baseball Magazine Supplements.

The seller on eBay has about six...all listed under $20...size listed isn't correct and they all look to be pristine. His description seems a bit sketchy as well.

My question has always been did Baseball Magazine have multiple printings...probably unlikely.

Patrick
Old 01-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Trey

Thanks Patrick, glad I'm not the only one to suspect this. I ran into the Matty on a search, then saw that the seller had several. Seems like these pop up from time to time. I had also considered the possibility of another printing by BB Mag, but the omitting their credit seems odd if that is the case
Old 01-09-2014, 08:25 AM

Default specs

ask what the specs are from the seller. this one should be ~12 x 21". never heard of these being reprinted. what is the link to the seller's items?
jim
Old 01-09-2014, 05:59 PM

Default Possible reprints

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw...ement&_sacat=0

Patrick
Old 01-09-2014, 07:03 PM

Default don't look right

the size is way off on these. they "look" somewhat ok, but the size would scare me off as to being real. my gut says walk away.
jim
Old 01-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Trey

Seller says 9x12, which is interesting because isn't that the size of M114s in the latter years of production?

Last edited by chipperhank44; 01-09-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Default m114 size

yes, that is my understanding on the size. these are the m113 and should be much taller.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Doug Goodman

Hmmmmmm......

I'm curious about these, leaning towards them being some sort of reprint.

While I do know, based on multiple variations in the text & fonts on the bottom of some M113s and M114s, that Baseball Magazine DID have multiple printings of some supplements, I lean towards thinking that these are some other sort of reprint, not from Baseball Magazine.

I have a few M113/114s (847 different at the moment) and have never seen these M113 poses on M114 sized paper before. I would be quite surprised if 12 different ones popped up in seemingly perfect condition and they were in fact issued by Baseball Magazine. But, stranger things have happened. Some of these are quite scarce, how many times do you see either of the Mantle supplements? Or a Hank Aaron? The answer is very very seldom.

I have seen M113s trimmed to M114 size if the pictures are small enough (Jack Barry, Bullet Joe Bush), but most of the pictures are too large to do so, and all of these auctions are the larger pictures.

I sent the seller a question regarding the paper, let's see what the response is.

Doug

PS - the omission of the credit isn't necessarily a bad thing. Any of the M113s that I own that match this seller's pictures also have the matching lack of credits.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 01-09-2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: had another thought
Old 01-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Doug Goodman

I got a quick response from the seller :

"they are not glossy, they are regular paper, I wish I knew how they were issued and where they come from, but I don't

-67tovar"

Because the vast majority of M113/114 supplements are on glossy paper (the exception is the 17.5 X 20 poster sized 1957 issue), I'm thinking these are some sort of reprint, but I may have to buy one to convince myself that I'm not wrong.

Doug
Old 01-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Trey

Great research Doug. Yeah, they're cheap enough that buying one for a look isn't out of the question. Interesting to know that the lack of credit is not a bad thing. I have passed up a couple that were probably legitimate due to a missing credit. Thanks again for sharing your expertise!

Last edited by chipperhank44; 01-10-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Doug Goodman

I just bought the Chief Bender, I'll let you know what I think when I get it.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:45 PM
Doug Goodman

So, I got the Bender in the mail today. It probably actually showed up a while back, but I haven't picked up my mail for a while.

I think it's some sort of laser copy. What it's a copy of, I don't know. I'll post a scan as soon as I clean up all the crap that is currently stacked on top of my scanner.

I'm tempted to go to a local print shop to get their opinion on paper / print type, but when I'm not on the road I tend to not leave the house much (hence not picking up mail for more than a week) as I get older I turn into more of a curmudgeon.

Doug