NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 12-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Ke.vin G.ray

Default The Junk Wax Era- when did it start?

Looking for opinions... We all regularly refer to the "Junk Wax Era." When do you think that began? I feel like, at least as Topps goes, there is still a relatively brisk market for unopened product through 1985, and maybe 1986. Anything after that, especially 1988, is almost worthless. So when do you think this era began?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

In my opinion, 1987 was the beginning over the massive overproduction. I know it started to ramp up all throughout the 80s, bu I believe 1987 was the year.

I remember as a teenager watching a story on 20/20 during the summer of 1986 when they talked about how the value of baseball cards had skyrocketed. They talked about rookies and how the big 2 rookies that summer (Joyner and Canseco) did not have cards in Topps and only Canseco had cards at all.

I remember they showed a guy with a specially built vault in his house that contained his T-206 Wagner.

So my best un-professional guess is 1987. Thats when the presses REALLY went crazy.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

I would guess 1987 too. What a year for rookies, too.
Larkin, Greenwell, maddux, Sierra, bonds, palmerio, Matt Williams, bo jackson.

No wonder they kept printing, the demand was unreal. I have tossed 3 3200 count boxes of topps commons. Still have a dozen sets and several unopened boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Was the junk wax era perpetuated by Topps and the other card manufacturers as a way to increase profits?
Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Rich Klein

Default while a decent amount of stuff

Still exists 81-86, I use 1987-94 AKA the peak years of the hobby boom to be the overproduced era. That ended with a crash in August, 1994 when the Baseball Strike began
Old 12-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Dave

It seems like Topps really increased production in 1987. The other companies upped their production to, but really spiked the numbers in 1988 I think.

I lost track of how many monster boxes of '88 Donruss I've tossed in the trash each time I moved or tried to make space in the house.

Junk wax for football, hockey, basketball, probably begins in 1989.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
Was the junk wax era perpetuated by Topps and the other card manufacturers as a way to increase profits?

There was a huge demand at the time, so yes.

As soon as every Tom, Dick and Harry started putting away full cases of new cards to pay for their future retirement or kids education, the junk era started in full swing.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:50 AM
Ke.vin G.ray

Rich-can you explain your comment about 1981-1986? I'm not challenging, just curious. I wonder if production of those years was significantly higher than it was during, say, 1975-1980, or if more people were becoming aware during that era of the importance of keeping unopened product (and keeping their cards in good shape). The second explanation would inform the reality that a box of 1982 is easier and much cheaper to source than one of 1978. If all other things are equal, it is hard to say that a span of 4 years totally explains the 500% or so disparity in the price of unopened product.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:04 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
There was a huge demand at the time, so yes.

As soon as every Tom, Dick and Harry started putting away full cases of new cards to pay for their future retirement or kids education, the junk era started in full swing.
Thanks for the information!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Rich Klein

Default We used to believe

That there were certain times of "wax" explosion

There is definately more wax and cards issued in 1978 then in the pre-78 era and then in 1981, especially with the three companies there was a major uptick in card production. That is why you see a ton more

78 sets then 77 and 1981 sets then 1980, etc.

81 to 86 was definately a time with big production but the real explosion began in 1987.

Hard to explain but 87 became "the year" for the over production and more unopened was saved that year in part because of the then immense Topps (and Donruss and Fleer) RC crew.

Then 88-91 at the very least were printed till te cows came home and even 92-94 was very heavily produced. Remember by 1993 at Beckett we were shipping over 1 Million Baseball magazines a month and selling a good proportion of those magazines. And one of the primary reasons was the interest in new products. The reason there is slightly less 92-94 product out there then the 87-91 era is there were more products in those years and thus a diffusion of those products make for seemingly less out there.

But there are still a ton of singles until about 94 so I'm OK with 87-94 as the overproduction era

Rich
Old 12-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

I heard the old man on pawn stars say something along the lines of, if it's made as a collectible or collectors item, then it has no long term value. Because it encourages people to keep it, thus insuring the supply will be high in the future.

I wish someone would have schooled me on that principle 30 years ago when went all in on new product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post

There is definately more wax and cards issued in 1978 then in the pre-78 era and then in 1981, especially with the three companies there was a major uptick in card production. That is why you see a ton more

81 to 86 was definately a time with big production but the real explosion began in 1987.

Hard to explain but 87 became "the year" for the over production and more unopened was saved that year in part because of the then immense Topps (and Donruss and Fleer) RC crew.

Then 88-91 at the very least were printed till te cows came home and even 92-94 was very heavily produced. Remember by 1993 at Beckett we were shipping over 1 Million Baseball magazines a month and selling a good proportion of those magazines. And one of the primary reasons was the interest in new products. The reason there is slightly less 92-94 product out there then the 87-91 era is there were more products in those years and thus a diffusion of those products make for seemingly less out there.

But there are still a ton of singles until about 94 so I'm OK with 87-94 as the overproduction era

Rich
All true.

There also was a buildup of a few other things. Before about 1980-1 there wasn't much for card sales through large retailers. It was almost entirely through distributors to local convenience stores. K-mart carried packs and albums in 74 and newer, but not in huge quantity compared to what came later. Large toy chains like KB toy and hobby and Toys R Us, child world etc generally carried nothing or nearly nothing. Maybe a box at the register, but that was about the limit. Even non-sports could be a challenge, out of probably 10-15 corner stores in my town only 3-4 carried the 4th series of star wars, and only one carried the last series.

When things went to three companies in 81 that started to change. Large retail started carrying more, usually all three sets which meant moving it off the counter and onto its own shelf. Small stores didn't always carry all three, but did usually carry more than just one. A friend of mine worked in his family 5+10 and convinced his father to carry whatever cards he could get. Everything sold well, and he gave me a couple boxes at a really cheap price for suggesting they carry more cards.

By 83 big retail carried everything and had fairly large stocks. Child world carried the 83s as uncut sheets as well as wax, cello and rack packs.

Between 77 and 83 another thing that happened was a big increase in the number of card shops. when I moved near Boston in 77 there was one card shop in town, a really unusual thing. By 81 there was another card shop, two antique shops selling cards, and a couple people selling out of their homes. And there were at least 6-7 full time dealers in the Boston area.

That only increased by 4-86 and beyond. Ordering directly from any of the companies in 77 was hard. It required a full shop, as the required pics of the storefront and interior. By the early 90's all they required sometimes was a business license and enough money to make the minimum order. So some flea market guys could buy direct.

And of course, they sold/printed at least as much as people ordered. Good for Topps Fleer and Donruss short term, not so good in the long term. But I imagine it would have been hard for an exec at any company to pass up short term profits the size of what they were while the competition was making that money.

Steve B
Old 12-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Ke.vin G.ray

Thanks, guys. That is a helpful analysis. Without anything better than simple observation to back up my opinion, I tend to agree. I feel like in the late 1980's and early 1990's, almost every dealer had lots of 87 and later unopened product available at modest prices. The 1985 and earlier (and sometimes 1986) was somewhat available, but much less so than the later stuff. Looking at the prices being asked (and received) right now for various product (and high-grade singles) for pre-1987 stuff, it seems that there is a pretty clear deliniation.

I have been astonished lately at the prices being realized even for 1979 and 1980 unopened and high-grade singles. I would think that there is a substantial amount of unopened product still available, but the prices make me wonder if that supply is rapidly dwindling.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:36 PM

I agree with 1987 for Topps. Topps was still the company everyone wanted, Fleer and Donruss were afterthoughts.

In 1987 Donruss and Fleer were clearly not as popular and not sold nearly as much in big box stores and warehouse clubs. I'd go to Sam's Club and buy 2-3 boxes of 87 Topps, I don't recall them carrying anything else.

I'd be curious to know especially what Fleer's production numbers were compared to Topps, I bet a lot less.

By 1990 everyone had ramped the presses and Score had jumped in along with Upper Deck and Leaf, and from 1990 to 92 or so there was product everywhere. I had a small card shop for a year in a small town, and you really couldn't hardly give Topps away by 1990, they all wanted Leaf or UD.

That was also the time when 87 Fleer rookies (Bonds, Kevin Mitchel and Will Clark) became the desired rookies from the 87 sets, and were much tougher to find in the pre internet days. 88 Fleer was more sought after also than Topps. Glavine's rookie had a definite premium at the time in Fleer, plus the Billy Ripken FF card pushed 88 Fleer to the top.

Just my random ramblings and recollections.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:22 PM

Default Junk Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post

Rich
Interesting insight Rich. Not much more to add other than for it was really noticeable with the 1989 issues.

Z Wheat
Old 12-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Bill Gregory

I concur, 1987 is when everything started ramping up in a big way as far as baseball card production went. I still like the set, though, as they represent a fun time in my youth. I hold on to a lot of them, not because of any monetary value, but because of what they represented. I remember cracking open wax box after wax box, looking for Jose Canseco, Wally Joyner, Danny Tartabul, B.J. Surhoff, Bo Jackson, Mark McGwire, etc. I was a kid, and I didn't grasp that more of them were being produced. I was 16, and working my first part time job. It meant I could buy more cards than ever before. Just my dumb luck I wasn't 16 in 1983. I might have a stack of Ryne Sandberg cards instead of Todd Worrell cards, lol.

Screw you, Topps, and your little "Monopoly piece" All Rookie Team Awards.

You know how many of these darned things I still have?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Arthur R!ch

I stumbled across some interesting information a while back while researching a particular Donruss product.

Topps sales went from ~500 million cards/year in the late-1970s to ~1 billion by the mid-1980s (that's sales, not production. Obviously production was much higher).

Donruss saw production increases each year in the early-1980s, and 100% increases in BOTH 1986 and 1987 (twice as much in 1986 than 1985, and twice as much in 1987 than in 1986).

In 1987, Topps had a 50% market share, Donruss ~25%, and Fleer a little less than 25%.

While these aren't firm production numbers, I don't think it's unreasonable to use them to extrapolate a ballpark set of parameters. Obviously, you're looking at major production increases for Topps even when comparing late-70s to early-80s, with gargantuan increases starting in 1986. But more importantly, this is important information for the people that seem to think that they'll see future price increases with 1980s that we're seeing with 1970s currently. There's just too much disparity in the amount of product produced to draw any kind of correlations.

But, and this is just my opinion, if you're purchasing cards solely for an investment, you're almost always going to be disappointed. The people I know that have done well did so because they collected what they enjoyed and then chose to get out when a trend caught fire. Since I've started collecting unopened the most excited I've got over an acquisition and the items that bring me the most joy having them in my collection aren't the 1970s items, they've been the hard-to-find stuff from the "junk wax era." Because that's when collecting was the most fun for me as a kid.

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 12-14-2013, 12:14 PM

The Junk Wax Era in Football started around 1983 with the Topps "X" boxes that were largely bought up by Steve Myland. Low and behold Football got hot a few years later and still goes for good coin today. These "X" boxes sold for around $4 if I recall.

For sure the overall Junk Wax era started in 1987, maybe 1986 if you count Topps.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Tho.mas Car.ter

I would argue that we are back in it again. Every rookie has thousands of signature cards, they may even be designated as such for 3 years. Look at it this way. In 2000, spx had the big card Rick Ankiel autographed /1500 That was pretty much it. Now take it to 2013. You would have his Base auto of God knows how many. His refractor, his blue refractor, his quadrublesuperamazingfractor etc. That would be in topps chrome. Next week out comes Bowman chrome with all the same stuff. The week after that another topps product comes out with again all the same stuff. It used to be a big deal to pull an auto. ANY auto. You could get $10 for the cheapest and they only went up from there. Now you can pull an auto and not even break even on the PACK nevermind box. Oversaturation will again kill what little market is left for the newer stuff. After all the junk and watching fleer and donruss dissapear the other companies didnt learn a thing.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
I stumbled across some interesting information a while back while researching a particular Donruss product.

Topps sales went from ~500 million cards/year in the late-1970s to ~1 billion by the mid-1980s (that's sales, not production. Obviously production was much higher).

Donruss saw production increases each year in the early-1980s, and 100% increases in BOTH 1986 and 1987 (twice as much in 1986 than 1985, and twice as much in 1987 than in 1986).

In 1987, Topps had a 50% market share, Donruss ~25%, and Fleer a little less than 25%.

While these aren't firm production numbers, I don't think it's unreasonable to use them to extrapolate a ballpark set of parameters. Obviously, you're looking at major production increases for Topps even when comparing late-70s to early-80s, with gargantuan increases starting in 1986. But more importantly, this is important information for the people that seem to think that they'll see future price increases with 1980s that we're seeing with 1970s currently. There's just too much disparity in the amount of product produced to draw any kind of correlations.

But, and this is just my opinion, if you're purchasing cards solely for an investment, you're almost always going to be disappointed. The people I know that have done well did so because they collected what they enjoyed and then chose to get out when a trend caught fire. Since I've started collecting unopened the most excited I've got over an acquisition and the items that bring me the most joy having them in my collection aren't the 1970s items, they've been the hard-to-find stuff from the "junk wax era." Because that's when collecting was the most fun for me as a kid.
Wow, and that's before getting to the 88-93 stuff.

When one of the local shops closed in around 95 or 96 he had everything on sale for a month or so. Including at least a pallet of 90 Donruss at $5 a box. But he said if I wanted a few anything over $2 a box was fine. He had two or three more pallets in the basement and a standing offer from a liquidator for $2 a box for anything he had left. So figure 3 4ft x4 ft by 4 ft high blocks of 90 Donruss boxes.

Steve B
Old 12-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Jason Albregts

Quote:
Originally Posted by callou2131 View Post
I would argue that we are back in it again. Every rookie has thousands of signature cards, they may even be designated as such for 3 years. Look at it this way. In 2000, spx had the big card Rick Ankiel autographed /1500 That was pretty much it. Now take it to 2013. You would have his Base auto of God knows how many. His refractor, his blue refractor, his quadrublesuperamazingfractor etc. That would be in topps chrome. Next week out comes Bowman chrome with all the same stuff. The week after that another topps product comes out with again all the same stuff. It used to be a big deal to pull an auto. ANY auto. You could get $10 for the cheapest and they only went up from there. Now you can pull an auto and not even break even on the PACK nevermind box. Oversaturation will again kill what little market is left for the newer stuff. After all the junk and watching fleer and donruss dissapear the other companies didnt learn a thing.
I agree with this observation. Autographed cards have "jumped the shark" so to speak, just like GU stuff has. It's to the point where many autos have become worthless. Topps definitely needs some competition.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Mike

Overproduction really started for Topps I think , and agree in 1987. Fleer in 1988 and Donruss in 1988.

Great boxes are still 1989 UD, 1990 Leaf, 1992 Bowman, 1984 Donruss. Low prints were 1994 Fleer Flair Series 2 ( Arod - R) and 1992 Fleer Update Factory Set. Most of the above are harder to get in case lots.

Last edited by insidethewrapper; 12-27-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: wrong information
Old 12-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

1986 when the card market crashed from the overproduction
Old 12-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I was active in the current market back then and it went into overdrive for Topps in 1986 but realistically, high levels of production really commenced about 1973-74.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Ke.vin G.ray

Dave, during your research into Topps, have you ever found any reliable production numbers for any period? I would be interested in exactly how out of control production got. You said it kicked off in 1973-74. Do you think the shift to one series during those two years has anything to do with that? Freed of the problem of series-based distribution, do you think it was easier for Topps to produce more cards and to distribute them in a wider variety of methods than before? Lots easier to be creative with distribution when you aren't worried about how well a late series will sell when in competition with football or basketball... Just curious about your thoughts.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:14 AM
Ronald Glenn

The other contributing factor is back before the 80's baseball cards were for kids, most thrown out by their mothers, I could be wrong but people didn't worry about saving them along with unopened boxes thinking they're not going to be worth money if they did it was a hobby not a business to make a living. Now things changed because of the media tv, price guides, a dime a dozen in the mid 80's, attracted not only kids but adults thinking that some day they could have a fortune if they save it and as the years go on the cards would increase in price, not thinking that the card companies saturated the market satisfying the demand of buyers the sky was the limit. The card companies also got greedy offering different limited edition sets, special cards, etc and raising the price and marketing towards the adults and not the kids with pack prices as high as 5.00 dollars. I guess print it and they will buy.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

You can still buy packs of 1984 Topps for like $.50. I'd say 84-94.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Ke.vin G.ray

Where are you buying them for that price??? Right now it is hard to get a box for anything less than 60 a box. Not that it makes that much of a difference. The fact that you can still get 30 year old wax for that price is amazing. Would be like getting 52 Topps for 1.50 a pack in 1982. Obviously that wasn't the case, but it should be an indicator of the level of production involved...

Last edited by tulsaboy; 12-30-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Mike Dugan

I agree with Rich's note on 1981-86 being added to the over-production years. The "guessed at" number for pre-81 would mean that the mushroom happened in 1981.

While Rich won't like this, the explosion and over-production began with Rickey Henderson and the monthly Beckett introduction. At that point the manufacurers knew they had a good thing going and we will never know how many of these cards were printed.

In 1991 I had a part owner of one of the big three come into our wholesale warehouse to ask me if I wanted cases of past years cards going back to 1981. If I bought "x" number of cases he promised me several cases from an other sport that happened to have a rather hot rookie card from 1986/87. His inference was that they had stockpiled tons of them.

My partner has always maintained that anything that could be printed over and over again perhaps even today could not be worth anything. With what we know about some of the folks running the card companies during this era I think it is possible that anything and everything went on during the boom years.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Rich Klein

Default Mike

Beckett did not go monthly till the end of 1984. However, there is no doubt CPU had a major impact on pricing in the 1979-84 period as a monthly rag (and I do mean rag because of the paper quality)

Rich
Old 12-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Ronald Glenn

The 5.00 dollar a pack is an example for the recent to new packs that have game used and or autograph cards that are geared towards collectors not kids
Old 12-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Mike Dugan

Rich we all enjoyed the guide during the crazy 80s!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Rich Klein

Default Beginning in 1995

when the strike concluded, the card companies have started focusing on older collectors and probably on one level correctly so. If you have dwindling income, it's easier to get the low hanging fruit then to plant seeds and hope for the future.

Whether the card companies made the right decisions is another subject but I will point out that Topps, who was the most conscious of having some truly affordable products, is the one with the MLB exclusive till 2020. Only two companies are left extant from 1995 and UD survived a near death experience in 2010. Fleer and Pinnacle both left (2005 and 1998 respectively)

(UD and Panini have contracts with the MLBPA and Panini with the HOF as well)

Rich
Old 01-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Scott

It's been a lot of fun reading this because I lived through it. 1986 or 1987 is when the "junk wax" era began in my opinion. I would guess that Topps' production roughly doubled every year from 1977 to 1985 and then accelerated even more quickly to the peak in what I believe is around 1991/1992.

I recall seeing a ton of 1986 Topps wax and racks well into 1987, but that may have been driven, in part, but a weak rookie class.

1987 was the first year that Topps sold factory sets on a truly national level. They did produce some factory sets in 1974 and 1984-1986, but 1987 was a huge factory set production year. From 1987-1993, factory set production was huge. I still have mine.

I believe 1988 Donruss holds, by a good margin, the record for highest production. I mean it was everywhere you looked. 1989 Donruss was saved in part by a strong rookie class. 1990 Donruss production remained in the stratosphere.

1989 Upper Deck started out as the "scarce" product, but I wonder how long they printed 1989 Upper Deck product. Its production appears to be up there with just about any other product than 1988 Donruss. 1990-1992 production was extremely high.

Card companies really began to bank on the card craze in the late 1980s. You had new entrants like Sportflics, Wild Card, Star Pics and others who cashed in with less than stellar product.

The big companies battled back by releasing new sets. You saw special sets - opening day, baseball's best, etc. Then Topps reintroduced Bowman in 1989. Donruss came out with an upper end Leaf product in 1990. Topps added OPC Premiere, which was THE set to have along with Leaf. Then Studio Club, Gallery, and on and on. It was pretty horrible.

Last edited by esquiresports; 01-07-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:54 PM

It would have to be either 85, 86, or 87.

Topps: I recall in 1986 noticing packs in more places than 1985. Then in 1987 I noticed the cards even were more prominent. Even as a teenager I sensed these cards might not be worth much.

Fleer: 1986 I noticed higher production.

Donruss : 1987 they really stepped up production. Those blister backs were everywhere.

Last edited by JWBlue; 09-24-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:51 AM
Phil Garry

Topps, I would say '86 - '87
Fleer, I would say '88 - '89
Donruss, I would say '87 - '88
Old 09-25-2014, 07:51 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I might argue 1981. The supply of wax was wonky mainly because of the strike, but after 1981 there was never any problem finding wax. The obscene production started really in 1987, IMO.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:18 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

A lot of good opinions and information here, I'll add my own. I think that the year is 1981, with the exception of 1984 Donruss which has always been explained to me was in short supply. The fact that stuff from 81-86 kept some relative value while 87-94 basically became worthless doesn't really paint the whole picture. My 1981 price guides list complete 81 topps, donruss and fleer sets higher than prices now. That's 33 years with an inability for saturation to lead to higher prices. The answer to why could be low demand, but it can't be the only answer. Plus you go from 1 company to 3. I like the stuff from 1981-87, and I had to get by my own bias to see that the only difference between it and the stuff from 88-94 is that people weren't quite totally soured on it and have positive memories surrounding it. I loved pulling Clemens and Gooden and Boggs and Puckett and Ripken and Gwynn rookies. The fact that I enjoyed it means they've at least been able to tread water, in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:41 AM

I think a big reason why the 1981 set has not gone up, aside from a generous supply, is that back then the set was largely rookie driven. John Tudor, Joe Charboneau (however you spell it), Jeff Reardon, Tim Raines, Lamar Hoyt, Fernando Valenzuela, Mookie Wilson, Kirk Gibson, Harold Baines and Tony Pena were all rookies I remember everyone asking for back in the day. How many of those panned out?
My website for 1963 Topps football color variations -
Old 09-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Phil Garry

Having no HOF rookies in the '81 sets plays a big part in keeping the set/wax price down IMHO. As far as star players from that year though, I think they hold their own with just about any other year from the 1980's, except maybe 1987 (which is worthless anyway). Raines and, to a lesser extent, Reardon are borderline HOF'ers. If Baines played a few more seasons in the outfield instead of DH, I think he would be up there with Raines. Valenzuela was one of the top 5 pitchers in the NL for the decade of the '80's. Kirk Gibson had many good years and was a fan favorite in Detroit. Other stars throughout the '80's were Hubie Brooks, Leon Durham, Lloyd Moseby, Bruce Hurst, John Tudor, Tony Pena, Mike Boddicker, Rich Dotson, LaMarr Hoyt, Rafael Ramirez, Damaso Garcia, Bill Gullickson, Charlie Lea & Keith Moreland. All were stars through at least the mid-80's, some longer.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 09-25-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:16 PM

Default Card Shortages

During late 1984 the supply of Donruss dropped dramatically, and then in 1985 Donruss and Fleer were kind of hard to find at normal retail prices. There was a lot of talk in the card magazines about card shortages those years. Then in about 1988 the card companies used the pent up demand to open the floodgates.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Tom

Interesting thread and postings. I can go to my local supermarket today and they will have unopened packs of baseball cards from the late 1980s / early 1990s in their vending machines. However, I noticed they don't have any from the late 1960s / early 1970s! I stopped collecting after a decade of collecting in 1981. When I started up again in 1989, boy did I awake to a nightmare. A kids hobby was now an adult "industry". Thank goodness for the 1994 strike. It took greed to kill greed and I was able to resume collecting the old cards in earnest once again.

This forum is so great on all levels and I have already learned and seen so much!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:03 AM

I'd go with 1987. The way I look at it, anything before that time production may have been going up, but demand still outstrips supply for the vast majority of that material. After that, we see unopened material available in box or case form for less than what it retailed for at the time, in some cases, less than wholesale of that time. The 1987 Fleer is still a bit above new release pricing from back then, but Topps and Donruss are at or below it, and in 1988...yeah, you are looking at products where shipping is more than the product itself for much of it. (certain exclusions apply as always, 89 UD, 90 Leaf, 92 Bowman, 93 Finest, etc) if we can buy $70 Vending cases, sub $150 wax cases, $6/ box today for products that were $14.40+ tax at the drug store 25+ years ago. I mentioned in another thread I have a box of 1988 Fleer I still have with an index card clipped to it showing I bought it in November of 1989 for $28 (which was below going rate at the time), and now I can buy a sealed case for $8.50 per box (plus shipping) from places like BBCexchange.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:09 AM
Rob Anderson

Better question is when will it end?
Old 12-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
Better question is when will it end?
Well put!
Old 12-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Al Richter

Default Wax

The wax era actually ended many moons ago. What was the last real wax pack you opened ?

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 12-22-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Rob Anderson

1991 Topps Traded
Old 12-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Tom

I last opened packs in 2014 when I bought the Topps Heritage cards due to the fact they had the 1963 Topps design. This only made me realize why I love the old cards the best, Topps can never recapture the magic they once had. Junk indeed.

Last edited by 1963Topps Set; 12-22-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:42 PM

I think most people look way too hard to find fault with things they didn't grow up with, and ignore the faults in those they DID grow up with. Part of human nature, things that we are familiar with seem 'better' than other things. It happens all the time the music today sucks, the movies aren't as good, TV shows are terrible, sports cards are junk, etc.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by valediction View Post
I think most people look way too hard to find fault with things they didn't grow up with, and ignore the faults in those they DID grow up with. Part of human nature, things that we are familiar with seem 'better' than other things. It happens all the time the music today sucks, the movies aren't as good, TV shows are terrible, sports cards are junk, etc.
I completely agree with that statement! However, if you check carefully, you will see that the quality in most things have gone down considerably. To coin a well worn phrase, they don't make 'me like they used to!