NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 PM
Joe M.

Default Ty Cobb Loving Cup Restoration

Should I get this Cobb Loving Cup restored. Silver plated, gold fill on the inside.? This is W.B. Jarvis Sporting Goods Company. Ty cobb was part owner when the company was started in 1913 in Detroit. He was involved until around 1915. I have the original sporting goods catalog and advertising for the cup. I also have a tennis racket with advertising and an Indoor bat Ty Cobb W.B. Jarvis and a few W.B. Jarvis Stock certificates. When I found the cup years ago, I almost did get it restored, but they had to send it out and I was nervous about that. Anyone have a value or seen another? I have never seen another for sale or in any Cobb Collection.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobb front of loving cup.jpg (28.8 KB, 281 views)

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 AM
J0n Fu.ld

Was the piece originally silver plated? If so, I would get restored in antiqued silver plate. I lean toward presentation outweighing non-restoration with regard to silver plated pieces, as the presentation is so dramatically affected positively by restoration. Empire Metal Finishing, 718-545-6700, they have a terrific top quality antique silver finish, they do an A++ job, though not cheap. but its a terrific piece.

Last edited by BigJJ; 02-01-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Jon Canfield

Awesome piece.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:33 AM

i would not get it restored it might hurt the value because collectors want it to be original as many antique roadshows i have seen they always say dont do anything to the antiques.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:54 AM

Joe,
Awesome loving cup! I don't have any advice to give because this is absolutely out of my expertice, but I know that others on this board will check in with some great thoughts.

Good luck finding your answer. Congrats on your awesome Cobber piece!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Clint

Just my personal opinion. I think the trophy looks great the way it is and wouldn't touch it. Is there any engraving on it?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Jeff

IMO - Beautiful as is and ORIGINAL.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Just my personal opinion. I think the trophy looks great the way it is and wouldn't touch it. Is there any engraving on it?
Yes, there is engraving on the cup. The front has Ty Cobb
Brand

The back has:
Ty Cobb
Trophy
Presented by
W.B. Jarvis Co.
Detroit Grand Rapids
To
Grammar School
Championship
Relay Team
Class A
With a Baseball engraved below the writing

Here is picture of the back.

I think I will leave it the way it is, but I would like to straghton the bottom, any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobb back of loving cup.jpg (33.6 KB, 119 views)

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by jcmtiger; 02-02-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Clint

I've always thought that was a great looking trophy and I've never seen another. Fixing the bottom might be something I would fix. Just have to be careful not to break it off from the rest of the trophy or cause a crack.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Mike H.

DO NOT bend that yourself. Have an expert do it. If this piece did have silver that has worn away, I would have it restored for sure. It's not like refinishing a game used bat or an antique piece of furniture with valuable patina. If the silver has flaked off, that is NOT patina, it's damage. The new silver will tarnish quickly and look old. The value of this piece is in the form, not the history of ownership or evidence of use. Just a few thoughts.

Here is an example of a trophy I purchased from Corey Leiby many years ago that was resilvered. Look at how the detail POPS after an expert job.

Here it is today on the top right shelf...looks old again, but original.

Last edited by mjkm90; 02-02-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Clint

Yeah I wasn't implying that you bend it yourself. 99 out of 100 times that suckers going to break off or crack.