NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Patrick N.

Default To what extent...

of where/when/who you bought a card from impact your willingness to part with a card? Obviously cards purchased in one's youth, etc. would bar many from selling/trading a card but what about in your adult life +/- experiences memories of purchasing cards from a certain seller, card show, flea market, etc....For me, it is a small factor as there are a few cards that don't fit my collection but there is a small tug not to part with them due to positive experience I had purchasing them. For example there is a T205 that I found at a flea market and bought off a dealer friend of mine. Had I bought it on eBay I would not think twice about parting with it but since I remember the day, etc. of finding it it is a bit harder. Am I crazy or what?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 PM
pete ullman

To me...the "story" behind a card is paramount to its ownership! I collect other things besides cardboard...art...ceramics...sculpture...every piece I own has a story regarding where/how I got it, etc. Some things I own I will never part with based on how I obtained them. But to the contrary...as time goes on...and my whims and interests change...so will how I look at my "things!"

I just offered up for sale the 1st vintage card I bought as a kid in the late 70's...which I thought I'd never part with!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Nick

Sentiment is a big part of collecting for me, and it's why I don't think I could ever be a good card dealer. I love cards with a good story - and there are many of them. Sometimes when I think of selling a card, I'll remember that I saw the player play as a kid, or he's my cousin's brother's uncle's girlfriend, or something like that. I've slowly but surely been able to sell a lot lately to scale down/focus my collection, but it's been difficult for those reasons. I'm going to have to make some tough choices soon!

Go Nats Orioles Duke Saints!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:08 PM

The story behind each acquisition makes the card what it is. If there is no meaning, then the card is not worth much to the owner. Since I'm attacking the Monster, (Peter's favorite ), I go piece by piece. It's not one and done. I buy each card, research the player, and remember the story of how i obtained it. It's a magical feeling.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.