NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

Default Where are the wrongbacks?

I know this will be a bit controversial, AND it's another T206 thread, but I've been thinking about this for a while.

With T206 we've seen just about any sort of printers scrap possible, blank backs, missing colors, upside down backs, colors way off registration, multiple backs, even ones with trade cards on the back.

Without getting into the specifics of cards that may or may not be rebacked, there should be wrongbacks.
And someone will say it's impossible to tell, because the backs are generic and each front can be found with several backs. And for most cards that might be true.

But as a scrap? Say a sheet of 150 series that had some flaw that caused them to leave it unfinished may have been used to setup the press for the 350 series. And possibly that sheet could have gotten into the stack to be cut and released.

So where are they?
I think we've finally seen one with the Schulte that's been discussed recently. A subject with only 150 series and Hindu backs, unaltered, but still with a 350 back.

There should be others, other 150 only cards with 350 backs, or 350 only with 350-460 backs.

Steve B
Old 05-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Interesting topic Steve.

I'd think that there are a few out there hidden in collections. You'd likely have to check each card and reference the different print groups and series they are from.

Last edited by atx840; 05-05-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Steve Birmingham

I thought there'd be more interest. Bad title?

Steve B
Old 05-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Tim

Steve it's an interesting question. I don't think the way the set was produced that it would be probable for a scrap card to show up with a "wrong back." For example a Walter Johnson portrait with a Uzit back.

Each print group was printed for a period of time and during that time a group of back advertisements were applied to them. Once that print groups production was completed the subjects were discontinued and the next one began. When the use of one print group stopped and the next began is when new back advertisements were introduced. So I don't believe the opportunity to print a "wrong back" would be there. Discontinued subjects would not be available to be printed with new back advertisements. Or old back advertisements wouldn't be available to be printed on new subjects.

It's plausible that these "wrong backs" could have been printed at the time the transition from one print group to the next happened. If blank back sheets of discontinued subjects were used for testing purposes for example. This would be similar to how brown Old Mills came to be.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

Thanks Tim, That last bit is exactly the scenario I was considering, leftovers being used during setup.

The Schulte p350 really seems to fit that.

When I was in the print shop, reusing full size sheets if they had one clean side was common since we had to pay to throw them away.
That's one aspect of printing that I don't see changing mush over the years.

Steve B
Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 AM

I want to know where all the T207 wrongbacks have gone. Not just Wagner/Carrigan but there were others. I haven't seen one for sale in 5 years.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 AM
JeR@Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
I want to know where all the T207 wrongbacks have gone. Not just Wagner/Carrigan but there were others. I haven't seen one for sale in 5 years.
Bob - along those same lines (T207), I have always been flabbergasted at why there are not more T210 error backs or at least miscut/scraps !?! With the Tens of Thousands they produced from such a large set and so many series (640 T210 Cards in set), where are any anomolies ? Was quality control that good ? You just never see a mistake on T210's other than a very occasional miscut with player name.

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 05-07-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Steve Birmingham

One of my handful of T210s has a printing error. The entire left side got no gloss coat. Makes the card look a bit odd till you realize what you're looking at, since the gloss has yellowed and cracked a bit.

Steve B
Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 PM
JeR@Me

Default Yo Steve...

Steve - Let's see a scan of this animal.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

Well, it actually scanned. I didn't think it would show up.

I'll put it in a new thread, maybe it'll get a few other T210 errors shown.

Steve B