NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Robert A

Default This is a reprint. Don't bid

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONUS-WAGNER...ht_1169wt_1169
Old 10-19-2011, 08:21 PM
J@son M1ller

Thanks Robert. I noticed that one as well and immediately dismissed it. Too shiny among other telling factors. But, you were nice enough to tell everyone about it, unlike me
Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Robert A

Hey Jason,

Usually wouldn't, but it's up pretty high and it looked like legit bidding so I thought maybe I could save someone some cash.

Rob
Old 10-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Usually when a card like this pops up and it's not graded, I check the seller's history to see if he has sold any graded cards. This guy only seems to sell raw cards.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCollector View Post
Usually when a card like this pops up and it's not graded, I check the seller's history to see if he has sold any graded cards. This guy only seems to sell raw cards.
Not sure if I would conclude anything from that finding/strategy. Plenty of people only seem to collect raw cards. So that might be why he's only selling raw cards.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Larry

The language employed to describe and sell it is a sure tip off.

Larry
Old 10-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
The language employed to describe and sell it is a sure tip off.

Larry
This. And holeymoley could the guy please stop yelling at me with a GIANT font and obnoxious color type.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Fred

I think the item description screams "reprint". The seller is just another a-hole trying to make a buck on a card he knows is a reprint. The following is the item description:

I am selling what I think is a 1912 WEBER BAKERY D304 baseball card of Hall Of Fame great, HONUS WAGNER.

This card was found by me in a box of cards that I acquired from an older gentleman's card collection. I dont know anything about it and had to do some research on the internet to get an idea what card it was. I cannot verify how old this card is and if it is the real McCoy but it sure looks like a very old card from the back of the card.......The front of the card does have gloss to it but the back looks worn and old so I am not sure what I have......Please check out the photos of the card for condition and authentication.........

For those people with knowledge of this particular card, please contact me with any information you might have.

You are buying this card as is!!!!!!

I accept No Liability For The Authentication Or Value of The Card!!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:14 PM

I could be wrong but I thought eBay had a strict policy forbidding these types of sales, i.e. when a guy says he doesn't know if it is a reprint or genuine. It seems like a couple of years ago a number of cards were pulled from their auction for this very reason.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
I could be wrong but I thought eBay had a strict policy forbidding these types of sales, i.e. when a guy says he doesn't know if it is a reprint or genuine. It seems like a couple of years ago a number of cards were pulled from their auction for this very reason.
I'm certain you are correct.

Good to see you again Bob. I wish Minnesota had the same policy regarding their baseball teams - they would have to pull this year's
Old 10-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Dave M

This is a reprint as well correct? http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-PIEDMON...ht_2911wt_1185
Old 10-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Tony N.

Default Reprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseWithFleas View Post
It's a reprint. The borders look handcut, font of the name on front is wrong, not factory designation on back.

Why would anyone reprint that card?

Tony
Old 10-24-2011, 02:37 PM
BJ Cunningham

Default Seller Contacted

I contacted the seller and said it was a reprint. They said, rather innocently, that they tried to do some research but could not tell the difference. It sounds like the seller has a number of reprints, so best to avoid, if they try to sell the remaining cards.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Mike

Default Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
I seem to remember the same (as Scott says).

Love the avatar, Bob!

--
Mike
Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default why is it?

I wonder why it is that when someone says they don't know if an item is real or not the overwhelming majority of it the time it isn't? As soon as they say "I don't know" you can almost be assured they do and they just don't want to say it. As always the best way, imo, to learn about fakes is by handling raw cards and also handling fakes. I have several reprints/fakes in my repertoire for future reference.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:10 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think there is always the off chance that the seller really doesn't know what he has, and it's the real thing. This Felix Mendolsohn Ruth looked real to me (although I can't be quite sure either). In the end the seller didn't know and ended the auction early to send the card it to get graded. (The listing was at $20 with 2 days to go when it ended). The ebay listing is here: Link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg felix.jpg (49.4 KB, 115 views)
Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default was watching

[QUOTE=glchen;934320]I think there is always the off chance that the seller really doesn't know what he has, and it's the real thing. This Felix Mendolsohn Ruth looked real to me (although I can't be quite sure either). In the end the seller didn't know and ended the auction early to send the card it to get graded. (The listing was at $20 with 2 days to go when it ended). The ebay listing is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330628495299)[QUOTE=glchen;934320]

Absolutely no doubt that some sellers don't know what they have. I was watching this one too and do think it is legit. I feel it's a small overall percentage though....but definitely there are some sellers who really don't know.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:29 PM
J@son M1ller

Just as there are a small percentage of people that find cards in their grandfather's attic. But the small percentage is what people prey on to perpetuate the BS that we see 99% of the time. The best lies have a grain of truth in them.