NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Is Tim McCarver an Idiot?

I've been convinced that the answer is 'yes' since the day he became a broadcaster.

So during today's rain delay, he stated that "whoever wins today wins the series." Heck, with geniuses like McCarver around, why do we even play more than four game?

Joe Buck isn't much better - if you had told anyone before the ALCS began, that if the Rangers took a 2-0 series lead and lost game 3, that they would be in big trouble, they would laugh at you. Isn't going up 2-0 great? Isn't going up 3-0 something to be dreamed for, but not something that if you don't do it, you're in trouble?

I'm missing the logic of these two clowns.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Rawn Hill

YES.

Rawn
Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 PM
MikeHealer

Joe Buck isn't any better, in fact I think he's worse if that's possible. He is consistent though, because he is equally bad as a football announce.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:58 AM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
Joe Buck isn't any better, in fact I think he's worse if that's possible. He is consistent though, because he is equally bad as a football announce.
I agree on Joe Buck. Consistently awful and consistenly overrated.

I think McCarver used to be fairly interesting, and one of the smarter ex-players in a broadcasting role, but maybe has been around for too long at this point. Joe Morgan is kind of similar. I used to like him doing games, but he never has evolved, and it just gets stale, and now annoying.

my eBay auctions
Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Brandon Bailey

Sadly Yes. But No One is worse than Bob Costas. I watch the games on mute when he is announcing!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I used to think McCarver was the worst but now its Joe Morgan. Being in love with your own voice is a serious problem for a broadcaster. Once heard Morgan seriously suggest that Don Gullett (former teammate) should be in the Hall of Fame.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Al Richter

Default McCarver

When he was in his first year as catcher for St Louis he tells a story about going to the mound to "settle" Bob Gibson down after he walked the first two batters in the first inning. He gets to the mound and Gibson tells him " Get your ass back behind the plate, the only thing you know about good pitching is that you can't hit it"
Old 10-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
I used to think McCarver was the worst but now its Joe Morgan. Being in love with your own voice is a serious problem for a broadcaster. Once heard Morgan seriously suggest that Don Gullett (former teammate) should be in the Hall of Fame.
That figures. In my opinion, Morgan should never have gotten in - plenty of vintage players who are arguably better. Not saying Morgan wasn't good, just that he's part of that second tier that includes Niekro, Sutton and various Minnesota Twins.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Dave Foster

Default Is Tim McCarver an Idiot?

That's a rhetorical question, right? You have to make allowances for Timmy. He caught too many games for Gibby before someone told him to use a catcher's mask. As for Buck, always wondered if he was really Jack Buck's son. How could he be such a broadcasting goof if JB was truly his father?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
That's a rhetorical question, right? You have to make allowances for Timmy. He caught too many games for Gibby before someone told him to use a catcher's mask. As for Buck, always wondered if he was really Jack Buck's son. How could he be such a broadcasting goof if JB was truly his father?
Well, now it looks like McCarver will be a genius. He did amazingly predict that the winner of yesterday's game would win the World Series. Is it possible? Can the Rangers actually win one of the three remaining games?

I would like to interview Bob Gibson. First question would be: "Do you ever watch games where Tim McCarver's announcing? What do you think?"
Old 10-13-2011, 06:10 PM

Agree completely on McCarver, Morgan and Costas. Oh, heck, Buck too. McCarver was interesting when he first came on the scene, but he hasn't had an original thought since 1987. Morgan was described by (I think) Deadspin as a flat-earther and that fits well.
And don't get me started on John Sterling...
Old 10-13-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrx View Post

I think McCarver used to be fairly interesting, and one of the smarter ex-players in a broadcasting role, but maybe has been around for too long at this point.
I'd have to agree on both points. I used to enjoy Tim's banter back in the early to mid 90's, and I remember him giving great commentary during the Atlanta Braves' run during those times. But now, it's as if he's trying too hard to come up with something interesting or unique, and it has gotten old.

Last edited by CW; 10-13-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Who else?

So who do you think is a good broadcaster?
I like Buck's tone when a big play is made, but agree that overall he misses the mark.
McCarver isn't real good...I liked the comment about his loss of originality. He does have a firm grasp of the obvious though!

Dick Stockton is not a pleasant voice to hear, and Ron Darling loves the superstars so much that he'll ignore the rest of the team in favor of telling you that Pujols is only 6 batters away before his turn!!
John Smoltz is new to the booth but I kinda like his style.
Joe Morgan ...omg if he predicts something he will congratulate himself for three innings...wow he's bad. ( dude knew how to win baseball games though so here's my kudos to him as a player)

The radio guys are much better in my opinion...listening to Milo H., Ted Leitner, Scott Frantzke, Larry Anderson...much better to listen to, but of course I like watching the game too

Oh please someone grant permanent laryngitis to John Sterling and Susan Waldman(?) .

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
So who do you think is a good broadcaster?
I like Buck's tone when a big play is made, but agree that overall he misses the mark.
McCarver isn't real good...I liked the comment about his loss of originality. He does have a firm grasp of the obvious though!

Dick Stockton is not a pleasant voice to hear, and Ron Darling loves the superstars so much that he'll ignore the rest of the team in favor of telling you that Pujols is only 6 batters away before his turn!!
John Smoltz is new to the booth but I kinda like his style.
Joe Morgan ...omg if he predicts something he will congratulate himself for three innings...wow he's bad. ( dude knew how to win baseball games though so here's my kudos to him as a player)

The radio guys are much better in my opinion...listening to Milo H., Ted Leitner, Scott Frantzke, Larry Anderson...much better to listen to, but of course I like watching the game too

Oh please someone grant permanent laryngitis to John Sterling and Susan Waldman(?) .
Given how many truly bad ones there are, I'm thinking that the 'Morgan/McCarver' model is what t.v. viewers actually like (and don't forget another guy who loves the sound of his own voice - Rick Sutcliffe) . Remember, we're vintage guys, and the 'old school' broadcasting we grew up listening to on the radio is pretty much a thing of the past.

My favorites were Lowell Pass and Gene Elston doing the Astros on the radio back in the '60s. But whoever did the White Sox back then was good to - names elude me.

Today? I really don't like any of them. Here's an interesting website - check out Buck at #5 Worst, and the 'spared' list. This is quite funny:

http://www.aolnews.com/2009/12/03/ma...-broadcasters/

Last edited by Runscott; 10-13-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Fred

Have any of you been subjected to having to listen to Dick Enberg call a game? He was the main TV commentator for the Padres this year and I tell you what, I never knew how much I'd miss Matt Vasgersian as a baseball commentator. I now have a great appreciation for what Matt used to provide when he was the Padres commentator. I think Enberg might have been ok a while back but I think calling 120+ ball games in a season is probably a bit much for him now.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Have any of you been subjected to having to listen to Dick Enberg call a game? He was the main TV commentator for the Padres this year and I tell you what, I never knew how much I'd miss Matt Vasgersian as a baseball commentator. I now have a great appreciation for what Matt used to provide when he was the Padres commentator. I think Enberg might have been ok a while back but I think calling 120+ ball games in a season is probably a bit much for him now.
Enberg's best days were doing NFL games w/ Merlin Olsen. As a Pads announcer, I always hope when he takes leave to do the US Tennis Open, that he never comes back to Padre-land. Unfortunately, he always returns. I think Enberg's role model is Jerry Coleman.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Fred

Dave,

I didn't want to bring up Jerry Coleman because I like that guy... but yes, his better days were in the past. I'll always enjoy Jerry because he's Jerry. I hate to admit it but I like Mark Grant, he's a good commentator, even if he's usually the side-kick.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Tim Sanders

Default Scarier thought

What players today may progress into broadcasting? I would hate to have to sit through Milton Bradley providing the commentary .....
Old 10-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Jeremy W.

Default Mets fan here

I'm most likely biased in my opinion, but I enjoy listening to Ron Darling & Keith Hernandez during the Mets games. They provide a little comic relief, Keith more than Ron, for the long seasons the Mets have been forcing me to endure lately. Gary Cohen isn't all that bad either.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Jeff

Default McCarver

"M" is for McCarver and Mute!

Thank God he finally stopped dyeing his hair that "garish" shade of orange. Made him look like he had been embalmed.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Patrick N.

I consider McCarver to be more of a jackass than an idiot, jmo
Old 10-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Belltown Vintage

I'm actually getting used to McCarver, as much as I've always disliked him (maybe he's reading our posts!), but Buck is driving me nuts.

Anyone else getting sick of him getting all dramatic over warning track fly outs? He made the last Cardinal out of the third inning sound like an upper deck blast, and it didn't even make the warning track.

C'mon Fox - you can do better than this.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:22 PM
$teve O.

Default Is Tim McCarver an idiot?

I'm not sure,but he plays one on T.V.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Patrick N.

McCarver really aged fast, i remember him as a mid-60s blowhard, and now? Much older, oh yes, much older
Old 10-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Johnny S

Time for new blood especially Buck get the f*&^ outta here, in defense of McCarver he may have taken a few shots to the head and now the damage is becoming alarmingly apparent.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBenderForever View Post
Time for new blood especially Buck get the f*&^ outta here, in defense of McCarver he may have taken a few shots to the head and now the damage is becoming alarmingly apparent.
Hate to keep ranting on buck, but how many times does he need to say "sold out stadium" when you're talking about a World Series game?

These two are approaching Musburgerocrity
Old 10-31-2011, 07:44 PM
Brandon Brown

This says alot:
http://youtu.be/8xdTYVxzEwI
Old 11-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Rob Miller

I am a die-hard Yankee fan, but the best out there by far besides Vin Scully is Mets broadcaster Gary Cohen. He blows everyone else away.

Last edited by Robextend; 11-04-2011 at 01:25 PM.