NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2010, 01:19 PM

Default Frank Chance - HOF Material?

I always considered Frank Chance a major Hall-of-Famer. But after looking up the numbers, now I am not so sure. I wonder if his relationship with Tinker and Evers gave him the chance to get into the HOF. I know he had MVP season, but does that justify his place in the Hall?
Old 12-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Phil Garry

IMHO not the most questionable choice, especially considering his managerial record, but surely not one of the upper-echelon guys.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Matt Wieder

I was under the (perhaps erroneous) impression that the criterion for Hall of Fame entry were not purely statistical, but a player's notoriety entered into it as well. I believe this is implied by calling it the "Hall of Fame" and not the "Hall of Great." While we can certainly agree that certain enshrined players do not merit inclusion for either reason, I believe Chance's combination of being a well known star player/manager and having solid numbers, justifies his place.

Last edited by Matt; 12-10-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:38 PM
S Gross

Tinker - Evers - Chance were, of course, voted in as "one" entry do to poem.*
If on individual records, IMO:

Chance -- yes (player/manager)
Evers -- yes (no Eddie Collins, but still top 2nd)
Tinker -- no (solid, but no)

* Edit to add I have no problem with the "poen" induction, and agree with Matt's "notable" point ..............

I also, for that same reason, agree Stallone should be in Boxing HOF.
As well as Mr. Magoo in the Rutgers HOF (which he is).

Last edited by mybuddyinc; 12-10-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default baseball reference's take on it

Hall Of Fame StatisticsPlayer rank in (·)
Black Ink Batting - 7 (312), Average HOFer ≈ 27

Gray Ink Batting - 73 (329), Average HOFer ≈ 144

Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 22 (737), Likely HOFer ≈ 100

Hall of Fame Standards Batting - 24 (533), Average HOFer ≈ 50

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

IMHO all three could have been left out of the HOF and were elected largely based on the fame that came to them through the poem. Chance was by far the best choice of the three, managerial career, .296 ba, leadership, etc. Tinker and Evers .260 to .270 hitters, marginal HOFers.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Evers

Gray Ink Batting - 39 (626), Average HOFer ≈ 144

Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 34 (544), Likely HOFer ≈ 100

Hall of Fame Standards Batting - 24 (533), Average HOFer ≈ 50

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default tinker

Black Ink Batting - 1 (728), Average HOFer ≈ 27

Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 24 (685), Likely HOFer ≈ 100

Hall of Fame Standards Batting - 20 (746), Average HOFer ≈ 50

Old 12-10-2010, 02:09 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Collectibles View Post
I always considered Frank Chance a major Hall-of-Famer. But after looking up the numbers, now I am not so sure.
how did you come to the conclusion that chance was a major hof'er?
Old 12-10-2010, 02:38 PM

Honestly, I don't know. I guess it was always an assumption on my part because of the Name Recognition. I've just started getting into looking at HOFers Stats because some of my favorite modern players are being blacklisted from the HOF.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I was under the (perhaps erroneous) impression that the criterion for Hall of Fame entry were not purely statistical, but a player's notoriety entered into it as well. I believe this is implied by calling it the "Hall of Fame" and not the "Hall of Great." While we can certainly agree that certain enshrined players do not merit inclusion for either reason, I believe Chance's combination of being a well known star player/manager and having solid numbers, justifies his place.
I hope you've read The Politics of Glory (or Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame?) by Bill James. For your sake, I really hope you've read it.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Chance's four pennants and two WS wins as a player manager is a HOFer stat on his own merits. Same as Whitey Herzog (4 and 2) and Billy Southworth (4 and 2), better than Earl Weaver (4 and 1).

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-10-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Earl Weaver??

Old 12-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Mark

You have to consider that the Cubs' 1903-1912 W-L percentage is unmatched for any team ever over a similar span of years (I think I have that right - I'll have to check tonight). There must be a reason for that. If those teams, as is sometimes argued, had only one legitimate HoF'er (M. Brown), then how do you explain their remarkable success?

If there aren't any more players on that team that are up to HoF standards, then perhaps the standards aren't right. Or maybe other members of that team should be in (Kling, Reulbach?)
Old 12-10-2010, 04:25 PM
M@rk Lu7z

He was a peerless leader.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
He was a peerless leader.
The Peerless Leader

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
You have to consider that the Cubs' 1903-1912 W-L percentage is unmatched for any team ever over a similar span of years (I think I have that right - I'll have to check tonight). There must be a reason for that. If those teams, as is sometimes argued, had only one legitimate HoF'er (M. Brown), then how do you explain their remarkable success?

If there aren't any more players on that team that are up to HoF standards, then perhaps the standards aren't right. Or maybe other members of that team should be in (Kling, Reulbach?)
In addition to Brown, they got a few great years each out of a few pitchers, such as Reulbach, Pfister, Overall, and Cole. Collectively that was enough to do the trick. Reulbach certainly would have been a HOF candidate had he put a few more comparable years together but he faded very young.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Phil Garry

Comparable to Fred Clarke from the same era? Chance was a little better as a manager but not quite the player..........
Old 12-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Mark Peavey

Default Hall of Fame

Bill James makes a strong case that Evers was definitely the best of the three, especially as a hitter, and easily belongs in. He suffers because people link him to two less deserving players.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Black Ink Batting - 1 (728), Average HOFer ≈ 27

Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 24 (685), Likely HOFer ≈ 100

Hall of Fame Standards Batting - 20 (746), Average HOFer ≈ 50
Exsqueeze me??? Can you explain this for the ignorant. Thanks.
JimB
Old 12-10-2010, 09:36 PM

Of the three, I would say that Chance is most deserving especially given his management skills and, in particular, the fielding schemes he designed against opponents.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
Exsqueeze me??? Can you explain this for the ignorant. Thanks.
JimB
Jim, sure. If you go to baseballreference.com, for each player, they have a number of different statistical measures which I believe are based on measures derived by Bill James. They are explained in detail on the site, but generally they seek to compare players (adjusted for era) and to show where a player stands in comparison to HOFers. The numbers in parentheses are where the player ranks all-time for that particular measure, and the numbers to the right are the numbers for the average HOFer. Here is a link: http://www.baseball-reference.com/ab...html#black_ink

So, for example, taking this one line from Tinker. Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 24 (685), Likely HOFer ≈ 100. Tinker's score on this measure is 24. This ranks him #685 all-time. A Hall of Famer would be expected to have a score of at least 100.

Or this line. Black Ink Batting - 1 (728), Average HOFer ≈ 27. Tinker's score on this measure is 1. This ranks him #728 all-time. The average HOFer has a score of 27.

Obviously these are imperfect measures, and tend to underemphasize fielding and can't capture intangibles, but the lists they generate do pretty consistently reflect who a consensus would view as the all-time greats.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-11-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:41 AM

Default chance

That is a pretty interesting web site that ranks the players...I scanned through it pretty fast, but I think Deacon Phillippe is the highest rated pitcher from the T206 set that is not in the HOF. Looks like Bill Dahlen is the higest batter ranked that is not in the Hall.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtschantz View Post
That is a pretty interesting web site that ranks the players...I scanned through it pretty fast, but I think Deacon Phillippe is the highest rated pitcher from the T206 set that is not in the HOF. Looks like Bill Dahlen is the higest batter ranked that is not in the Hall.
I wouldn't argue against HOF for those two.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Ron Rice

Default Frank Chance

Chance was enormously popular and respected. Some reasons:

1. How many World Series have the Cubs won in the last 100 years?
2. The Cubs were known for their great teamwork, and skillful managing to get the most out of each player.
3. The Cubs helped bring baseball away from the East Coast, to become the National Pastime in America's heartland.