NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-07-2010, 11:03 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Default Old collector with a newb question

I have collected for many years. I don't collect graded cards...I just don't like the holders and I question the integrity and expertise across the board...but so many cards have been slabbed that I have been buying s few and cracking them out...

Anyhow is a A authentic, altered or both? Seems like I read a lot of auctions that hold up a grade of A as something to be happy about...would a skin grade as an a? A rebacked card?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Archive

When submitting cards to be graded/authenticated, a numerical grade will be given to a card on it's overall condition. If a card has been altered in any way, that meaning trimmed, recolored, skinned/rebacked, rebuilt corners, pin holes, portion of the card is torn off or professionally restored, then a grade of "A" or authentic will be given.

Authentic means that the card is correct for it's time period and not a reprint, but has been altered in some way.

When submitting to SGC, a collector has the option to have the card slabbed or not slabbed if he/she wants, if the card garners a "A" distinction. SGC will not print on the label what the alteration is, whereas PSA will.

Some collectors opt to have the card slabbed anyway if it is deemed Authenic since they are paying the fee regardless.

Hope this answers your question.

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 11-07-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added more
Old 11-07-2010, 12:21 PM

A means the card was not gradable (or the collector asked for A). It usually means the card is altered in some way or form.

For autographed cards, the collector may just be interested in the signature, so there gradable cards are more often given an A. Whether the card grades or a 5 or a 5.5 makes no different to the Mickey Mantle autograph collector.

In some cases, with rare and obscure issues-- like rare stamps-- the graders may not be sure exactly how to assign a grade, so give the A. Obviously, cut out cards (Wheaties, strip cards, etc) are tough to assign a grade.

But, in short, the majority of A-Authentic cards are altered.

Technically, an altered card is grade Poor.

Last edited by drc; 11-07-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 PM
David Str@@te

I do enjoy when Ebayers say "This card has been authenticated by PSA!"

As if that was what they were shooting for. I wonder how many people have pulled the trigger on a card like that thinking they were getting a legit card.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Seems like I read a lot of auctions that hold up a grade of A as something to be happy about.
you should read that as you would read an advert selling a used mattress describing it as being "well loved."