NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Doug C.

Default Has anyone here tackled the 1952 Topps set?

The post about the 1956 Topps set got me to wondering, has anyone here put together the 1952 Topps set? If so, did you go for all of the variations or just the standard 407 cards?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1952 Topps master set near complete

A master set of the 1952 Topps issues comprises of 553 cards. I am nearing completion of this master 52T set, as I need a few of the
extremely rare mid-series (#131-190) cards with the GRAY backs. The overall condition of my set is Ex.

Many of the cards in my set are from my collection when I was a kid in 1952, including my Mickey Mantle card.

TED Z
Old 10-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The post about the 1956 Topps set got me to wondering, has anyone here put together the 1952 Topps set? If so, did you go for all of the variations or just the standard 407 cards?

I've never been a big collector of "master" sets. I decided that, with my compulsion for set collecting, I had to draw the line somewhere. But I am working on a complete numerical set.

For a complete run of numerical Topps sets, from 1952 - mid 1990's, I am currently missing about 40 1952 high numbers and about 5 cards from 1954. I have kind of let it stall there for a while.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Al Richter

Default 1952 set

I have done the set plus an unopened pack. I have not undertaken the monumental task that Ted has with the very tough gray back series. I do have the red and black backs ( and the front differences in some of the first series cards related to those different backs) , and all the Sain and Page variations.

I also have the Campos black star, and the unlisted Campos variation with the missing upper left front border which was discussed in a recent SCD article.

I also have both variations of the Mantle, Robinson and Thompson cards, which involves the reversed stitching on the baseball on the back...left or right ( the Mantle also has significant front variations). The last 3 are not formally cataloged as far as I know, but fairly well recognized. I also have 3 fairly distinct front versions of the Boone card ( 2 simply related to the red v black back situation).

I do not have the color background difference for Crandall ( orange versus red, if it exists), but do have the two different color fronts for Feller. There are apparently several front background color variations out there that may be more fading or sunlight results than actual printing differences

Ted---based on my experience, your near completion of the gray backs is an amazing accomplishment

Jim---when I finished all the Topps sets, my "compulsion" took over. Be careful :-)

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-11-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post

Jim---when I finished all the Topps sets, my "compulsion" took over. Be careful :-)

Al,

That may well be why I have dragged my feet on picking up the last few cards!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:45 AM
J@RR0D

I just listed the last of my '52 commons on ebay this weekend. I'm keeping a few cards (Andy Pafko, Larry Jansen, and any with the players wearing glasses) because it's such a great set. I've kept no stars though.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:45 AM

Default 1952 Topps Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
A master set of the 1952 Topps issues comprises of 553 cards. I am nearing completion of this master 52T set, as I need a few of the
extremely rare mid-series (#131-190) cards with the GRAY backs. The overall condition of my set is Ex.

Many of the cards in my set are from my collection when I was a kid in 1952, including my Mickey Mantle card.

TED Z
Ted Z is the master....what a lofty goal. I can't even imagine the effort, patience & expense it would take to construct a master set. I look for 3rd series gray backs on a regular basis and can't find that many (I have 4); and then to take the Campos black star/red star variation into consideration.....

I have been working towards a 1952 Topps set since the 1990's. I am nearing completion of the set with a few missing from the 6th hi numbered series. I am missing perhaps 15 or so hi numbers but my goal is near. Most of my cards including Mantle are Ex+ with a smattering of Vg-cards - which I upgrade when time permits.

Zach Wheat
Old 10-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hey Zach

I had a head start on most here. I started in the Spring of 1952. Then in 1977, when I re-discovered this hobby,
I recovered many of the cards from my youth (that were in my folks attic).

Here are the last 1952 Topps cards that I got as a kid when I opened my last 5-cent pack in the Fall of '52.

[linked image]

[linked image]

TED Z
Old 10-20-2010, 02:41 PM

Default 1952 Topps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I had a head start on most here. I started in the Spring of 1952. Then in 1977, when I re-discovered this hobby,
I recovered many of the cards from my youth (that were in my folks attic).

Here are the last 1952 Topps cards that I got as a kid when I opened my last 5-cent pack in the Fall of '52.

[linked image]

[linked image]

TED Z
Wow neat. That is really cool. Did you stop buying & opening packs because you got a Mantle? I know you mentioned you have had other Mantles over the years (both Type I & II). Did you ever get the Billy Martin rookie (#175) gray back? I know that one is tough to find.

And do you consider the Campos no border a variation or print error?

Zach Wheat
Old 10-21-2010, 06:42 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Zach

In the Fall of 1952, I kept opening Topps packs of Hi #s until I found a Mantle.
Then I went on to collecting Coins, Comics, Stamps, and girlfriends

Here's my Billy Martin rookie card with a white back and the extremely tough gray back.

[linked image]

[linked image]

TED Z
Old 10-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Patrick N.

Default I tried

I tried but gave up....I was going for all the low numbers in any condition and got about 1/3rd done. Then I got bored and auctioned it off on eBay.

I still am obsessed with this set but figured I should just buy a few of the stars cards and call it a day. The Mantle and Mays and J Robinson are on my aspirational list and for some reason i am obsessed with the high #'s. One of my local shops has a Dick Groat RC that I might buy.

One of the best buys I had on eBay recently was for a lot of '52s which had two high numbers and those two cards i sold off and basically paid for the whole lot.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:16 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Working slowly on a Vg set that will be well centered. Hi Numbers are scare and pricey as well as most often times off center. I will also pick up well centered graded cards if they are cheap enough. I am going to do all the black and red 1-80. IMO this set is just going to continue to climb in any condition.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors