NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default FREE Card Grading!

Like to see PSA and others do this:

http://www.globalauth.com/grading/free

I like the idea. What do you think?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Rob Miller

I'd like it if it was PSA/SGC/BVG...

At least my trimmed cards can get slabbed as 8's for free!!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Good idea. Too bad GAI ceased being legit 5 years ago. I love the old GAI slabs with the metallic flip though. They put the info on top too so when you have em in a box standing up you can just look at the top and see what card it is.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robextend View Post
I'd like it if it was PSA/SGC/BVG...

At least my trimmed cards can get slabbed as 8's for free!!
While I love SGC, it is short-sighted to believe that any one grading company will be the market leader in new submissions forever.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Jason

Default an interesting idea...with one large problem

As a collector, I love the idea.
However, someone would need to explain to me how this policy wouldn't introduce bias towards higher grades, as it is reasonable to expect that customers are more likely to spring for the slabbing only for higher grades that would make it worthwhile...

no?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Alan Zimmerman

Personally, I would think that if one of the "legit"—and I use that term loosely—companies tried this, then someone could use the grading companies simply as a means by which to authenticate cards that they may be unsure of. I could send in a bunch of RAW t206 cards, for example, and if they come back with number grades, then I could at least know that they aren't reprints and that they haven't been trimmed. then i could pass on paying for the card grades, get the cards shipped back to me RAW and simply grade them myself (like how they used to do it in the old days, LOL), knowing they were real and untrimmed—at least "knowing" with a reasonable amount of certainty, as I am sure that PSA and SGC have slabbed a few trimmed/reprinted cards in the past.

All in all, it would save me the time of having to untomb my cardboard, and I guess it would save PSA/SGC a lot of plastic.

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 05-25-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Thats what I was thinking too.

They get paid only if the collector likes the grade they assign.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:59 PM

Has anyone here had any transactions with GAI lately and want to report on their opinions of grades received for their pre-war cards? I am curious as to how their graders are doing vis a vis accurate grading, etc.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Jason

Default They are supposed to be open on Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Has anyone here had any transactions with GAI lately and want to report on their opinions of grades received for their pre-war cards? I am curious as to how their graders are doing vis a vis accurate grading, etc.
at which point I will call and check on my order...
Old 05-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkw View Post
Thats what I was thinking too.

They get paid only if the collector likes the grade they assign.
This sounds like a good short-term business model for breaking into the SGC, PSA and Beckett oligopoly. Get a bunch of cards into their slabs, which would then broaden their market and appeal to that collector and perhaps others. At some point down the road, you would pull the promotional freebies when you have acquired some meaningful market share. In this environment, you could see bias in both directions -- too harsh in order to prove legitimacy; as well as too lenient in order to attract submissions.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 05-25-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:09 PM

This is a terrible idea for the hobby. They only get paid if they give you the grade you like? So their incentive is to overgrade and overlook doctoring. That is how they get paid. It is ridiculous. GAI is a joke. It is a desperation act. Thankfully nobody with any knowledge of the hobby uses them to grade cards any longer.
JimB
Old 05-25-2010, 07:04 PM
qu@n nguy3n

this is an old concept. gai and beckett used to have on-site prescreens. gai would literally take 15-20sec per card under a loupe and yellow lamp and assign a sticker grade to it. cards with grades you like they take back to the office to slab, the ones you don't want slabbed you keep.

they are probably world-class graders as they can spot minute imperfection/assign grade/detect alteration all within first glance...
Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Instantly, all the naysayers show up with a down comment. WHY? Are you all experts as to the service? I thing its a great idea. I never had aproblem with the old GAI and don't see why I should now. We always seem to get a few guys with a bug up their A$$ that start a problem with every post. Do you guys just sit around all day thinking of someones balls you can bust. Get a life.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Jeff

If it's the same company/graders that have been purportedly grading trimmed/alterted cards with numerical grades, what difference is it if it's free? Who wants it.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
I almost bought something from their Ebay account ,starxcards , but the card was in one of their budget card savers with the new tamper proof label so I passed.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Robert Williams

If you mess with GAI, you deserve everything you get. I heard from the other board that GAI has "lost" subs that people send it. GAI is worthless....