NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 AM
David Ros.enberg

Default San Francisco (Cow Palace) Collectors Show - May 14 - 16

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Todd C

I am trying to re-arrange my schedule so I can go...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Brian Dwyer

Default SGC will be there!

SGC will be accepting submissions at this show for the second year in a row. Michael Goldberg will be set up all weekend to meet with collectors and take submissions back for grading. You may use any of our current monthly specials at the show. We don't get out to CA too often, so please consider stopping by to say hello and drop off some cards.

Thank you,

Brian Dwyer
SGC
Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 PM
David R

Thanks for the heads up. Is anyone planning to go and, if so, on what day?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:24 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I'll be there Saturday. I plan on leaving Sac area early enough to get there before it opens. I have a few crossovers for SGC. I'm not expecting much but still looking forwrd to it.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Matt Miller

Not that anyone knows me from Adam, but I am trying to get out there for a day.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Marty Pritchard

I will be set up somewhere in the middle isle.
Marty
Old 05-11-2010, 08:58 PM
MJ

i am staying for the weekend in SF. Do they authenticate bats on site?

Last edited by ichieh; 05-11-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:43 AM

Default Is there usually any pre war stuff for sale?

Is there usually good deals available on pre war cards etc.?

I haven't been to one of these in years and when I did go to these I wasnt collecting prewar. Just curious if anyone has past experiences.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:10 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I wouldn't expect many good deals. However that does not mean that you cannot find one. Most graded Pre-war that will be there will be priced higher than you would see elsewhere. But you do get to see the card and take it home if you want. Only way to really know is to go and find out. Most often I'm more disappointed than not but I go anyway. I would recommend you check it out if it's not too far for you to travel.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:51 PM

To be able to see and examine a card in person is always worth a little extra to me. Add that to the opportunity to see things that you just don't see everyday - who doesn't love a good card show?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:20 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman444 View Post
To be able to see and examine a card in person is always worth a little extra to me. Add that to the opportunity to see things that you just don't see everyday - who doesn't love a good card show?
richard's inventory is well worth the price of admisson by itself...the chance to see rman/wes/me in person will be well worth any drive <10hrs***. we will enlighten you with our hobby knowledge, and belittle all the flaws on your card purchases not bought from rman for free. (we can also laugh at rman's 1990's shiny refractors)

***can't confirm wes, but i will be a no show
Old 05-13-2010, 03:38 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

[QUOTE=chaddurbin;807679]richard's inventory is well worth the price of admisson by itself...the chance to see rman/wes/me in person will be well worth any drive <10hrs***. we will enlighten you with our hobby knowledge, and belittle all the flaws on your card purchases not bought from rman for free. (we can also laugh at rman's 1990's shiny refractors)

***can't confirm wes, but i will be a no show[/QUOTE

Hey Richard, are you going to have a table set up? If so I would like to stop and say hi.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:50 PM

I can't believe the prices of the autograph guests. $150 for Cal Ripken? I remember years ago when I was a kid at the Gloria Rothstein shows the only guests charging $100 were Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle all pretty near death. Cal Ripken was a good player, but he's young, available, and signs a ton of crap. What could possibly make his autograph that expensive?

Last edited by packs; 05-13-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:22 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I can't believe the prices of the autograph guests. $150 for Cal Ripken? I remember years ago when I was a kid at the Gloria Rothstein shows the only guests charging $100 were Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle all pretty near death. Cal Ripken was a good player, but he's young, available, and signs a ton of crap. What could possibly make his autograph that expensive?
$150 is the entry level price. If you have a bat or jersey then you have to pony up $249. Oh and an extra $50 if you want an inscription, up to 5 words or personalization.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:11 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
$150 is the entry level price. If you have a bat or jersey then you have to pony up $249. Oh and an extra $50 if you want an inscription, up to 5 words or personalization.
I think the price is higher for Cal because in addition to getting an item signed, you also get to have a picture taken with him using your own camera.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:26 PM

I will have a table there - it will be my first time setting up at a major show.

Q is a bit misleading about my 1990's finest refractors. I will not be brining them as I only sell my prewar baseball to fund my shiny purchases - not the other way around.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:17 PM
David R

Richard,

Where will you be set up and will you be there on Friday?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Chris Counts

I've always had great luck finding good stuff at the Cow Palace show, but I collect ungraded cards. In the past, I've always gone on a Saturday, but this year, I can only attend Friday in the late afternoon/early evening. Are there many dealers set up on Friday? I'm debating if it's worth a two-hour drive ...
Old 05-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman444 View Post
I will have a table there - it will be my first time setting up at a major show.
That settles it - I am definitely going. Prepare to haggle, Richard.

Bill
Old 05-13-2010, 08:41 PM

I'm not sure where I'll be. Apparently noobs get the leftovers so perhaps between the minihelmet guy and the guy selling 1998 Score wax boxes?

I will be there on Friday (tomorrow). I'm terrible with names, so don't be offended if I don't know or recognize anyone. I would, however, recognize Bill and I will be protecting my backside when he starts to haggle.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Todd C

Saturday is the better day to find cards..

Sunday is the better day to get deals. Dealers are trying to recoup some of the costs and trying to boost their sales totals..
Old 05-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Marvin J.

I actually attended this show last year, my first since I re-entered the hobby, so my first show in nearly 18 years. It was also my first since moving to the Bay area.

The location is....well...a location. Last year, it was rainy, kind of cold, but more muggy than anything else.

The show did have a decent amount of pre-war stuff, so it was fun to look at. It's certainly not a massive show though, but just enough where a slow walk will get you through the show in two hours (and that includes time to stop and talk to some of the dealers there). I also noticed that many dealers did not have all their pre-war stuff, so when I asked if they had anymore, they'd pull a stack out from somewhere behind their cases and tables.

I did pick up a few B-18's, but no cards. However, I think the highlight for me was the Mile High table set up to show off some of the auction material coming up. Was VERY cool to see so many high-end items!

I'm going to try to attend....might be difficult, but I'm going to certainly try!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:45 PM
MJ

I attended the show. It was alright. The crowds was small, most dealers want premium for their cards, and i don't see too many deals made. A bit disappointed, didn't find anything good to buy.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:59 PM
qu@n nguy3n

you should go to a cardshow thinking you're not going to buy anything because everything is overpriced compared to ebay...you will enjoy yourself more.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:14 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I went on Saturday also. Smaller than I thought it would be, and most pre-war were over-priced. The only deal I saw was this one dealer who was selling PSA 10 modern cards for $4 a piece, and PSA9 for $2 a piece. With these prices, I think the modern card scene is dead unless you get the RC for a superstar. I picked up a Griffey, Ichiro, Maddux (non-RC) PSA10's. The same dealer was also selling authentics (raw) for non-superstars for $2 a card.

I also met Michael Goldberg of SGC, who's a really nice guy, and it was good chatting with him. Dropping off a submission was probably the only thing that made the trip worthwhile.