NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Mike Henson

Default Lou Gehrig rookie era game used bat on Ebay

Any thoughts on the Gehrig game used rookie era bat for $180,000 obo on Ebay? The photos show Gehrig using a similar looking bat,but IMO for this kind of money, it would be a tremendous leap of faith that this is the same bat in the photos. http://cgi.ebay.com/1923-25-Lou-Gehr...item3cab6e2f07
Old 05-09-2010, 01:26 AM
Steven Finley

Absolutely no chance without provenance.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Mike Henson

Upon futher review, by reading the description a few more times along with the Q and A at the bottom of the page, and certs from TSA? I don't believe Gehrig had any connections to this bat.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:43 AM
Brock

The guy is a joke just like his items. You should read the posts over on GUU about his items.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:46 AM
John

IMO, and sorry if this offends anyone on this board... Whether game-used collector, seller, buyer or authenticator, I have yet to read a single description from a seller and/or authenticator that I buy. Each seems to be written with a stretch, wish, hope and prayer. Serious collectors, please set me straight.
As for the Gehrig listing, the seller's description tactic "the more words the better" hurts more than helps.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:19 AM

as a collector of game-used bats, i will NOT buy or even consider a bat that has not been seen by John Taube of PSA/DNA. his opinion is paramount in the world of game-used bats (IMO). regarding this particular bat, 'leap of faith' is a good term here. why is there not a close-up shot of the name on the barrel?

Last edited by MVSNYC; 05-09-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Jim D

im not an expert, but this guy sounds like an idiot. Thing i found the funniest, he wants 180k for a bat, but isnt including the pictures...... you gotta pay extra for those!!!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:02 PM

There was lengthy discussion of this bat on the GUU board, and everyone there pretty much agreed it was a bad joke.

Last edited by drc; 05-09-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:59 PM

Reading the eBay description for the bat, it sounds like the seller either works for or is a part owner of TSA Authenticators because there is MORE info (HYPE) about that company than the bat he is trying to sell.

David
Old 05-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Steve Birmingham

The Q+A is really funny. His paranoid ramblings are some of the best crummy fiction I've read since weekly world news stopped publishing.

"One of these men has met Gehrig personally recently thats right you read right."

Really! the authenticator actually met Gherig recently?

I also like how he responds to the FBI comment by claiming first ammendment rights, then in the next question claims all fraudsters hide behind the first ammendment.

On the more serious side, what was the reasoning behind taking the rounded end off the bat?

Steve B
Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 AM
John Hanssen

Default good plot

Nice little soap opera going on with this one. Some good plot twists, but I don't think it will end well!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Jim D

i wonder if he will take a check if i have it certified by Chris Morales....

Im sure he met Gehrig, i seen him the other day at the pub having a beer with Mickey Mantle, Joe Dimaggio and Mother Teresa!!!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Doug Goodman

I often make offers on ebay items, and often my offer is considerably lower than the asking price. Usually, my offer is automatically turned down by the seller, I assume that means that a seller can set a minimum for offers that he / she will think about.

I made an offer of $1 for this bat, and it was not automatically denied.

I don't know what that says, but I find it kind of funny.

Doug
Old 05-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Mike Henson

If I read the Q and A at the bottom of the page it looks like he turned down an offer for 125K the more I think about this the more laughable it becomes.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:10 PM
John

Don't look now, there is also a Babe Ruth bat listed with loads of provenance and a COA.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:54 PM

An eBay seller can set a minimum, so offers lower are automatically denied
Old 05-10-2010, 09:35 PM

If this joker is so darn sure this is a REAL game used, Gehrig rookie year bat, why doesn't he get the guy who authenticated the Babe Ruth bat that sold for $1 million dollars to authenticate his bat? Then why don't he consign the bat to the same auction house that sold the Ruth bat?

The seller lists the Ruth bat as an example of an authenticator having to do some research to PROVE the Ruth bat was real and original.

I mean, if he is THAT confident about what he owns then why not follow the SAME path that ANOTHER person did (and who got rewarded handsomely for doing so)?

My guess is he KNOWS his bat is NOT a Gehrig game used one an jsut wants to HYPE his (TSA) authenticating company as much as possible and get the free publicity.

David

Last edited by ctownboy; 05-10-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: forgot to add my name
Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Oh yeah, when looking at what this seller has listed on eBay (big ticket items authenticated by TSA) and then doing research on what he has actually sold in his completed items, I find it funny that the highest priced item that he has sold has been for $153 dollars.

David
Old 05-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Jonathan Scheier

My favorite part (in response to a "potential bidder" question):

Take your time ask any questions that you may have im not rushing here and do you know why its because well to be honest with you $100,000 is not really a lot of money i spend that much monthly and now you know. So im not easily impressed by money i know what true power is and its not money. Do you know what is like to be stuck in the desert for 3 1/2 months without any way of going to the store to buy water and having only one bottle of water for those 3 1/2 months. The same bottle never ran out thats right so please you lol you probably think 2 million dollars is a lot of money or how about 20 million its not enough compared to the true riches i know of. Have a good day.
Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
JonathanS@HA.com
1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at http://sports.ha.com/consign

Connect with Heritage at http://sports.HA.com/Connect
Old 05-13-2010, 12:04 AM

Mr. Scheier,

That explains everything! He KNOWS about power and he KNOWS this is a Gehrig rookie year game used bat because he is Jesus. I mean, who ELSE could live in a desert for 3 1/2 months with only one bottle of water and that water never runs out.

I bet if we asked him what he ate during those 3 1/2 months he would tell us some story about fishes and loaves......

Last edited by ctownboy; 05-13-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Well, theoretically he could have met Gehrig recently--assuming he'd died and gone to wherever Lou currently resides...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...