NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-22-2009, 12:39 PM

Default Champion Baseball Player Cabinet

I don't know either way on this one but was curious if anyone else saw this and had any thoughts. I uploaded the image referenced in the description as there are a lot of photos in this listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1880-Photo-Album...3%3A4|294%3A50
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wa7000bb.JPG (45.1 KB, 98 views)
Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Barry Sloate

I did see that on ebay...it was a massive album with loads of photos. Don't know who that ballplayer is though.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Dan Bretta

Could be a scam....

edited to add...I wrote that before looking at the auction....I have no idea who is pictured in that photo.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:38 PM

I actually saw that album on ebay because of the baseball reference (showed up in some of my searches) and bid on it, but not for the Baseball photo. I came up about $1000 short in the end. It had some tremendous early photos of other subjects and I doubt the winner placed much if any value on the "Baseball" photo. However, it does look a lot like Lee Richmond from my memory, who was the worlds first successful Left Handed Pitcher around 1880-1884 which would be about when this book was put together. I am not making any claims and I have not even compared any photos of him, but the second I saw this I thought to myself, "Wow, I think that is Lee Richmond". Even if substantiated it would not be the most valuable photo in the book, but I dont think it is a scam. Anyone else think it looks like Lee Richmond? I need to find a photo of him and compare to see why I thought this and hopefully I am not so far off that I look like an idiot.

Rhys
Old 05-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Barry Sloate

There's a photo of Lee Richmond in SABR's Nineteenth Century Stars...doesn't look like the same person.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Dan Bretta

I only thought scam from looking at the photo posted in this thread...it's obvious when one looks at the auction and can see that the writing is consistent through the album that it is not a scam.

I wonder if Mark F. has any photos of Lee Richmond?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Mark

The photo can't be Richmond.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lee Richmond np2.jpg (43.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Lee Richmond np1.jpg (53.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Lee_Richmond.jpg (46.4 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 05-22-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:46 PM

I never compared them and it was just a hunch. They look similar enough that I thought that, but it obviously is not him. Must have been the premature balding that stuck in my mind.

The problem one runs into with 19th century Baseball is the regionalization. The "Champion Pitcher" or "Greatest Pitcher in World" to an Iowa kid would not be someone from the New York Giants etc. I dont doubt at all that this was a Baseball Pitcher of prominance. Whether he was prominant on the National Stage in 1880 or just a local hero will probably never be known.

Rhys