NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Brian

My best answer for now to your......
" Hi Ted... I've read all of these before. So you're saying that ATC and ALC discontinued Plank in the 150 series
because of a threatened lawsuit, but then started up production of Plank again for the 350 series? "

1st....These entities did not threaten lawsuits back then, they simply filed a "cease and desist" order.

2nd....Yes, ALC was free to portray the A's that they were prevented from doing in the 150 series. So, when ALC
printed an additional 10 players from the A's team (as I noted above), they slipped in Eddie Plank. After all, they
still had Plank's plate image from their 1st series, so they thought they would give it the "good old college try" once
more. But note, that they selectively chose the NY market. I guess their thinking was, that they would be able to
get away with it. Eddie Plank was one of the most popular pitchers of that era.

In any event, ALC was forced to discontinue their 350 series Plank. Assuming 100% surviveability, then approx. 50
cards of this Plank were out in the market by then.

TED Z
Old 02-17-2010, 10:46 AM

But this is all just your hypothesis, right? No cease and desist order has been found?

Is there any other theory besides the ACC cease and desist theory that would account for a card being so rare that was issued in the Piedmont 150, as well as the Sweet Caporal 150 and 350?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Robert A

Hi Ted,

The E96 set didn't include Plank because it was clearly and intentionally marked as the second part of and a continuation of E95.

Rob
Old 02-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Rob A......

You are absolutely correct. I just reviewed Erik's book and realized that the E96 had additional players. I should have known
this since I have several E96's, including Connie Mack.

You already know this, but for those here that don't, Erik Varon's book on "the Story of The Philadelphia Caramel Company" is
an excellent book.

TED Z
Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Brian

Your......
"But this is all just your hypothesis, right? No cease and desist order has been found?"

A Philadelphia lawyer friend of mine told me some time ago, that "cease and desist orders" from the early 20th Century era
are virtually impossible to find. In many instances, such trivial orders (as this Plank contention was) were simply enforced
by spoken word and a handshake.

And yes, this Plank theory of mine is the result of my imagination upon my extensive research on my two favorite early 20th
Century BB card sets....E90-1 and T206. I have collected multiples of these two sets since 1981.

Obviously it's based on circumstantial evidence, But, this was no idle speculation on my part. I'm open to anyone's better (or
more plausible) story explaning why the T206 Plank is as rare as the Wagner ?

TED Z
Old 02-17-2010, 02:02 PM

Ted... I would never think that your position on this matter is speculative beyond careful consideration. I hope I didn't come off that way. I'm a newbie on this board, so bear with me if I come across as a bit harsh. Working on tone is important for everyone to feel respected.

Fear not, I respect your research enormously.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:04 PM

This might be a remedial question, but are there any other cards in the T206 set that were ONLY issued in the Piedmont 150 and the Sweet Caporal 150 and 350?

I mean, rare not by Wagner/Plank/Magie standards. But, were there to be another card that was only printed in those three series, how rare would such a card be?