NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I have 2 safes...One is a heavy duty digital one, while the other is a portable water-proof one.
id say almost ALL my cards are slabbed (that are valuable) ..Is it necessary to use those "humidity sacks" ?? My others cards are in albulms on shelves.
Never thought about any of this and what it will do...Well what does it do???
Old 08-21-2013, 03:34 PM

Desiccant packs or even the more professional museum quality desiccants are an inexpensive investment to protect against humidity. There are several companies (and I believe some were listed on this site a couple years ago) that sell museum quality archival supplies.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:51 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Thanks for the suggestions Bill... Funny enough, I buy the kind that comes in a cardboard box (Hydrosorbent 900) and feel all proud, only to find out last night my wife has the same kind you've posted. She's been using it in one of our small rooms. Oh well, now we have 3 total. (posting from 30,000 ft when should be sleeping!!)
Your wife is a smart lady.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Dave_Berg

Again, yep to the desiccant packs. About a year ago I opened a small safe I hadnt opened in a couple years. Important, but not valuable papers had significant moiture damage ( wrinkled and stuck together). I was shocked. I had a few slabbed modern cards in there that appeared unaffected. So since then, lots of desiccant in larger safes!! I live in midwest, lots of humidity, and yes my house is temperature controlled too. Dont risk it. You can dry out or " recharge" these packs every so often by putting them on a baking sheet and heating in over at 220 for 30 minutes or so. Cheap and in my experience a must
Old 07-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Bill Gregory

Default So, instead of making a new thread....

I'd like to get some up to date information from people that are putting their cards in a safe deposit box. I have my box now, and I have several cards I'd like to put in it. The bank is, of course, climate controlled, but I always want to make sure there's zero moisture anywhere near my cards.

The Box I have is 6" x 10" x 18". For those of you using a safe deposit box, what are you putting in with them to protect against moisture? I'm only about 2 miles from my bank, so putting a new ___ in every couple of months is no problem.

Do I want to use silica gel packs? Or something else? If you could please, provide a link to where you buy them.

Thank you!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Cain J.

I keep about 90% of my collection in safe deposit boxes. Never had any issues other than looking for them when I sell a few.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Jason Stricker

I'm more about putting my cards out on display for viewing than locking them up in a deposit box. However, if you collect high dollar cards for investment, perhaps a safe deposit box makes sense. I have a SDB myself, but not for card storage. I'd say the only potential drawback of a SDB is that the gov't can seize your assets that you keep in a SDB if you get into the sort of issues that would warrant such an action.

As for humidty, I don't think you should worry about it unless you're putting your raw cards on display in the bathroom. Even if you did, your cards wouldn't be completely destroyed. As I've mentioned and shared on this forum a few times before, I bought a few T206s that were found nailed to studs behind drywall in a Philadelphia bathroom during a renovation project. My favorite is this dirty Hooker (who was nailed to the stud). It's definitely dirty, but not completely destroyed.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206blogcom View Post
I'm more about putting my cards out on display for viewing than locking them up in a deposit box. However, if you collect high dollar cards for investment, perhaps a safe deposit box makes sense. I have a SDB myself, but not for card storage. I'd say the only potential drawback of a SDB is that the gov't can seize your assets that you keep in a SDB if you get into the sort of issues that would warrant such an action.

As for humidty, I don't think you should worry about it unless you're putting your raw cards on display in the bathroom. Even if you did, your cards wouldn't be completely destroyed. As I've mentioned and shared on this forum a few times before, I bought a few T206s that were found nailed to studs behind drywall in a Philadelphia bathroom during a renovation project. My favorite is this dirty Hooker (who was nailed to the stud). It's definitely dirty, but not completely destroyed.

No No - it's just way too easy to comment of this
Old 07-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
No No - it's just way too easy to comment of this
Old 07-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Bry@n

As a tropical biologist who lives in New Orleans I have two contributions to this thread.

1) If you keep your cards in a safety deposit box (I keep mine at home) you should consider how prone the bank is to flooding. In the case of a storm like Katrina or Sandy you might not have time to get to the bank to pick up your valuables before you evacuate as you wiill be busy with a lot of preparations, traffic is bad, and the bank might be closed during normal busniess hours so that their employees can evacuate. You also might prefer to leave your valuables at the bank rather than carrying all of them with you in your car! In choosing your bank you should look at a floodplain/elevation map and pick a bank that is in a high zone. This could also be a consideration for non-coastal cities as areas flood due to heavy rain or flooding rivers. I asked the local insurance agent that sold me my renter's insurance to show me one of these maps and they were happy to do so (and I am glad I did because we didn't flood during Katrina).

2) Anyone looking to buy silica gel should skip the prepackaged stuff that comes in little tins and which is sold in places like camera stores. If you look closely at it, you see lots of grains that look like kitty litter and a few scattered in there that will be either pink or blue depending on their level of water absorption. Those colored crystals are what is doing the work, I believe the rest is more or less filler. For my work in the rain forest I buy pure silica gel and put my electronics with it in a sealed bag each night. It is more expensive, for obvious reasons, but does a much much better job. One note - when the crystals (referred to as gel) aren't in a package you need to exercise a little caution when baking them. I have been told that they are somewhat toxic so it would be wise to use a dedicated pan for baking the water out rather than a dish used for cooking.

Sorry for the long post!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:32 PM

Default Wow!

that was a great post jobu
Old 07-29-2014, 11:59 AM
Bry@n

Gracias - I just don't want to see anyone's cards get damaged or lost, I know how bummed I would be!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:03 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default safe

I feel the safe dep box is the only way to go.

The way I do it is every year when Topps come out with a new set..I bring it right over..... I started doing that with the 1st set I ever deposited..the 1985 Topps set, I now have EVERY set Topps ever produced from 1985 to 1995 ( I feel these are the core years..the cant miss type stuff ) .. and they are all locked up ...yes Id like to look at these more often...enjoy my investment..but its too risky
Old 07-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
I feel the safe dep box is the only way to go.

The way I do it is every year when Topps come out with a new set..I bring it right over..... I started doing that with the 1st set I ever deposited..the 1985 Topps set, I now have EVERY set Topps ever produced from 1985 to 1995 ( I feel these are the core years..the cant miss type stuff ) .. and they are all locked up ...yes Id like to look at these more often...enjoy my investment..but its too risky
Are you joking, or are you being serious?

Last edited by 4815162342; 07-29-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Are you joking or are you being serious?
Old 07-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
Thank you, Luke, I am terrible, with, commas.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Luke Lyon

Daryl,

I was just joking with you. There's no way Ralph was serious
Old 07-29-2014, 03:00 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
Daryl,

I was just joking with you. There's no way Ralph was serious
I hope you're right. http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=146858
Old 07-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default safe

Yes, I know..there are fees involved with renting the Bank saftey box..but I feel the investment of the sets should outweigh the monthly fee of $ 5.00, I feel all the great rookies alone should cover that..Im mean come on - that 1987 T set is loaded !..