NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
"yeah , when will we hear anything from Orlando regarding the Wagner card !"

I don't think Joe was with PSA when this occurred...was he? Although either way I'm sure he knows what happened.
If Joe did not know early on, once Mastro went down he certainly knew it then.
"Hey PSA this card has been trimmed but if you want to build a company that nobody now knows about slab it and you will be famous." - - Who could have possibly said that??
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
The sentiment amongst those in the PSA inner circle seems to be..."I don't care if there's fraud going on...as long as I'm a beneficiary of it!"
One could surmise that is the sentiment of a significant portion of the hobby and not just as it relates to PSA.

One of the most amazing things about TPG is that the pricing structure that has been the outgrowth of it actually serves to encourage the behavior that it was originally developed to "protect" us against.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 10-31-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
If Joe did not know early on, once Mastro went down he certainly knew it then.
"Hey PSA this card has been trimmed but if you want to build a company that nobody now knows about slab it and you will be famous." - - Who could have possibly said that??
He's there now and that's all that matters to me and other collectors I know. I don't have a vested interest in PSA or the registry or anything, but am concerned that no one has said anything regarding the findings from the recent court case ( at least not that I have seen). It speaks to the rep of the company, and the reputation of thousands of "graded" high dollar cards and collectibles in collections around the world. The only way a numerical grade even matters is because people trust that company and the people that are grading cards there.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206DK View Post
He's there now and that's all that matters to me and other collectors I know. I don't have a vested interest in PSA or the registry or anything, but am concerned that no one has said anything regarding the findings from the recent court case ( at least not that I have seen). It speaks to the rep of the company, and the reputation of thousands of "graded" high dollar cards and collectibles in collections around the world. The only way a numerical grade even matters is because people trust that company and the people that are grading cards there.
It truly is amazing that Joe O. claims to be sitting by the phone waiting for our calls yet the biggest scandal in the history of PSA comes out two weeks ago in which it appears the company was birthed due to a multi-million dollar fraud and yet all we hear are....crickets.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
It truly is amazing that Joe O. claims to be sitting by the phone waiting for our calls yet the biggest scandal in the history of PSA comes out two weeks ago in which it appears the company was birthed due to a multi-million dollar fraud and yet all we hear are....crickets.
I believe David Hall already is on record as having said -- not too long ago -- that he personally examined the card and that the edges were fine. That may have been in the context of responding to a claim that had been made in "The Card" attributed to Bill Hughes, or it may have been after reports of Mastro's confession had surfaced, but I can't imagine what else they can say at this point.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-31-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:27 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I believe David Hall already is on record as having said -- not too long ago -- that he personally examined the card and that the edges were fine. That may have been in the context of responding to a claim that had been made in "The Card" attributed to Bill Hughes, or it may have been after reports of Mastro's confession had surfaced, but I can't imagine what else they can say at this point.
Peter,

I recall that David Hall made that type of statement at the 2012 Registry Luncheon. Here's a news article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ite...not-in-private

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 10-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Dan right that is what I was recalling.

Hall, according to our source, told his audience that they should question Mastro’s motives; Mastro might have agreed to say the card is trimmed as part of a deal with prosecutors. “He was suggesting you can’t believe Mastro, because now he will do anything to save himself,” our spy says.

Hall, according to our mole, also said Bill Hughes, the member of the grading team who told us he knew the card had been trimmed, has denied making those comments. Hall, our spy says, claims Hughes says it is an “out and out lie” that he knew the card had been trimmed.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Dan right that is what I was recalling.

Hall, according to our source, told his audience that they should question Mastro’s motives; Mastro might have agreed to say the card is trimmed as part of a deal with prosecutors. “He was suggesting you can’t believe Mastro, because now he will do anything to save himself,” our spy says.

Hall, according to our mole, also said Bill Hughes, the member of the grading team who told us he knew the card had been trimmed, has denied making those comments. Hall, our spy says, claims Hughes says it is an “out and out lie” that he knew the card had been trimmed.
The admission to trimming the Wagner was the least of Mastro's problems if you read the indictment against him. Hall is full of shit here.

Last edited by calvindog; 10-31-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The admission to trimming the Wagner was the least of Mastro's problems if you read the indictment against him. Hall is full of shit here.
Not saying he isn't, just saying that PSA has not kept silent entirely on the matter.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Not saying he isn't, just saying that PSA has not kept silent entirely on the matter.
Well, that's true. The info about Mastro trimming the Wagner was addressed by PSA in that private luncheon. Was that the meeting in which the fancy stationary was passed out?
Old 10-31-2013, 03:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Well, that's true. The info about Mastro trimming the Wagner was addressed by PSA in that private luncheon. Was that the meeting in which the fancy stationary was passed out?
Not sure, but it may have been in the next room to the committee being organized to self-police the hobby?

Old 10-31-2013, 03:11 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Huge +1, then again his close pal Kevin has set his line open for calls. When your good buddy who understands your business model says expect calls from my board peeps you make the time.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Daryl

Quote:
I was there - it was in Baltimore last year. Hall started off the luncheon with a slide showing The Card and talking about the PSA guarantee.

Quote:
Not sure, but it may have been in the next room to the committee being organized to self-police the hobby?
I believe the Fogel Hobby Police was formed two years prior.

Last edited by 4815162342; 10-31-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:42 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Huge +1, then again his close pal Kevin has set his line open for calls. When your good buddy who understands your business model says expect calls from my board peeps you make the time.
You know what John, why don't you get a life? Oh, I know, here come the past comments, here comes the past threads, here comes the past emails, and your pathetic cartoons, and all of your other bullshit. You are a master of that. By the way, Isn't that a little psycho?....Why dont you get some balls and take this off the forum and contact me? By the way, if you think Joe is sweating you, one word, PLEASE.....
Old 10-31-2013, 05:03 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

All in this same thread...

Directed towards John...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Why dont you get some balls...

Directed towards Peter...
Quote:
Peter- why dont you grow a set...

Directed towards me...
Quote:
Grab a set and call Joe...

Kevin, what is your fascination with male genitalia?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:04 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
All in this same thread...

Directed towards John...

Directed towards Peter...

Directed towards me...

Kevin, what is your fascination with male genitalia?
I guess you guys mean so much to me. What can I say?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:11 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

I wonder what cartoon john is thinking of pertaining me and Joe Orlando? I know the wheels have got to be turning....
Old 10-31-2013, 05:12 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
You know what John, why don't you get a life? Oh, I know, here come the past comments, here comes the past threads, here comes the past emails, and your pathetic cartoons, and all of your other bullshit. You are a master of that. By the way, Isn't that a little psycho?....Why dont you get some balls and take this off the forum and contact me? By the way, if you think Joe is sweating you, one word, PLEASE.....
Kevin as I have said many times no need to contact or talk to you off the forum. I find all of your cursing, machismo and big talk of being a huge hobby player very amusing to read. However not interesting enough to spend too much time on beyond the occasional giggle or oh brother thought as I read your posts.

Besides I’m sure you have much to do this evening besides talking with me. Between Trick or Treating with your close buddy Joe Orlando to marking down/bumping those severely under graded amazing cards of yours on the BST. Perhaps you can even squeeze in some eBay listings and do some computer screen grading of other folks over graded cards….heck the night’s still young. I’ll leave you too your night have a great one.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I wonder what cartoon john is thinking of pertaining me and Joe Orlando? I know the wheels have got to be turning....
It may involve one set or possibly two.....

Old 10-31-2013, 05:20 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
It may involve one set or possibly two.....
I'll be sure and tell Joe you said that....I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 10-31-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:27 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
call Joe, 888-469-2646
Quote:
Wow, not trying to take sides by any means, but this does not sound like the Joe Orlando I know....Matt, again, not trying to take sides and I'm sorry for your incident....
Quote:
Once again, that does not sound like the Joe Orlando I know....
Quote:
You are probably right Pete, I'm sure Joe has better things to do than worry about this forum....
Quote:
I have spoken with Joe Orlando for about 25 minutes, maybe longer....As I said before in other posts, both sides need to be heard pertaining this situation. From Talking to Joe, the beginning of the conversation is pretty much agreed upon, but then rapidly changes. Joe relayed to me that any open discussions can be made to him personally, and he is always open to talking with Net54 members....
Quote:
Are you people living in a fantasy world?? Joe Orlando doesn't give a shit about what you think...He did, however, offer anyone a true statement of what happened in the phone conversation.....What else do you want? Oh, I know, witch hunt time.....
Quote:
Maybe I mispoke...Yes, Joe obviously cares about what people think, but this is ridculous. Why is there so much hatred against PSA, based upon one word from someone on Net54?? Maybe he's pissed??
Quote:
Peter- why dont you grow a set and call him at the number I provided? I promise he won't hurt your feelings....
Quote:
David- Do you even think that Joe looks at this forum? Highly doubtful, big time. As I said before from conversation with him, he is more than happy to communicate what transpired with Matt...He doesn't give a rat's ass about "POSTING IT" on the Forum. Again, call him at the number from earlier post...
Quote:
888-469-2646, are you a dumbass or what? Tell Joe I said hey!!
Quote:
David- do you have little man's syndrome? Grab a set and call Joe, He already knows that you are an idiot, but he wants to talk to you....
Quote:
I'll be sure and tell Joe you said that....I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it...
I'm sure he can't wait for your call.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Classic

John, classic stuff...I'm bored serving candy to the kiddies, this is just what I needed !!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:19 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Adam, be sure to keep an eye out for Joe and Kevin they will be in their best buddies costumes.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Got a link for a newb?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:54 AM
Dan Marke1

I find it puzzling how Mr. Orlando engages in a pattern of instantly banning loyal customers who make legitimate complaints about PSA's service yet would not ban, at least for 9 months, a major dealer of PSA cards who admitted under oath that he used Joe Orlando's identity on-line without Joe's consent to harass and scare another party into believing they were going to be sued by PSA. Perhaps even more disturbing is that even after supposedly banning this dealer, the dealer publicly continued to run a business of selling newly graded PSA cards after being banned from PSA for two more years.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain