NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-10-2011, 12:04 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

They're from the late 40s / early 50s. Here are some other variations....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Pittsb...01753080743973

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-Boston...-/160671946267

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Clevel...41158328933524

http://huntauctions.com/phone/imagev...3&lot_num=1086

I believe Mike's Tigers example to be among the toughest, with Indians being the most common.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:14 AM
Mike H.

Thanks for kuddos guys. I agree with Mark regarding the scarcity. I've never seen the Tiger before.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:49 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
Thanks for kuddos guys. I agree with Mark regarding the scarcity. I've never seen the Tiger before.
First Tigers example I've seen as well. Nice pickup Mike.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Adam B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
I have only seen two at shows over the years and they were priced in the $150 range. The same eBay seller of the Indians, Braves and Pirates that Mark posted the links for has had the Tigers version for sale in his eBay store for a long time. Did you just discover this mug Mike? Glad to see you found it and assume you purchased it from the same seller because he no longer has one for sale. I almost pulled the trigger on it a few times but didn't and probably took for granted that it would be available whenever I wanted to purchase. Congrats. If you ever want to part with it let me know.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Mike H.

Adm...I did purchase off ebay from that seller. I stumbled upon it when looking over Brock's Stanford pottery Tiger. I couldn't believe I didn't see it sooner. Better late than never
Old 11-11-2011, 09:52 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default PCL Ball

1927 PCL Champion Oakland Oaks Team Signed Ball with Jimmie Reese, Buzz Arlett and a rookie Ernie Lombardi...

Tom C
Old 11-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Belltown Vintage

That's a gorgeous ball, and went very low - very nice pick-up. Boy, there were some nice autographed baseballs in Heritage tonight. Ruths galore.

I picked up a few cabinets in Heritage tonight - the KC Blues lot, the KC Blues large cabinet, the Pittsburgh lot, and a nice Springfield Ponies. These were my favorites:

Last edited by Runscott; 11-12-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Belltown Vintage

One More:

Last edited by Runscott; 11-12-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:48 AM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
One More:

That is awesome!

Regards,

Richard.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Mike Dugan

Great Pirates cabinet Runscott- The photo was taken at Whittington Park in Hot Springs, AR during Spring Training!

Check out the cleats on the ground to our left on the photo. The players rode the street car about ten blocks from the old Majestic Hotel to the park for workouts. They usually spent most of the morning walking on the mountains. Player seated front right appears to have his hiking shoes on?
Old 11-12-2011, 05:29 AM

Default Great ball!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
1927 PCL Champion Oakland Oaks Team Signed Ball with Jimmie Reese, Buzz Arlett and a rookie Ernie Lombardi...

Tom C
Tom,
I agree with Scott that that really is a great ball. Congrats on your pickup!

BTW, Jimmie Reese was sure a great guy to know. For those of you that don't know this, Jimmie was famous for being one of Babe Ruth's roomies (1930-1931) when he played on the NY Yankees. He used to joke about the fact that he actually only roomed with the Babe's suitcase, but he never saw Ruth because he was always out on the town carousing...

I personally got a chance to talk to Jimmie for many years as a season ticket holder with the California Angels, where he was an absolute wizard with a fungo bat all the way into his 90's. The things that he could do with that magic fungo bat would make your head spin! He was regarded as the most prolific fungo hitter in baseball history.

To say that Jimmie Reese was an absolute baseball treasure is a major understatement. He had many friends throughout baseball in every city as Jimmie was involved in baseball for over 78 seasons. He broke into his baseball career as a batboy for the Los Angeles Angels of the PCL in 1917 and was on the Cal Angels payroll as a conditioning coach until he passed away at 93.

I knew him well enough that I attended his funeral in Santa Ana, CA in 1994. The amount of active and retired baseball players in attendance was staggering; a true testiment to how many people he touched in his life! Not surprisingly he was extremely close with many of the players that played for the Cal Angels through the years. Nolan Ryan, Reggie Jackson and Jim Abbott were some of his personal favorites...

In my own collection I have saved a number of special Jimmie Reese momentos. My most prized piece related to Jimmie is one of his fungo bats from the 1980's which he personally gave to me. I was also given all of his Christmas cards from the last couple of years that he was alive. Several of the letters that accompanied these were very personal and discussed baseball. Many years ago I was given a copy of the first audio interview of Nolan Ryan and Jimmie Reese in early 1972 when they first bonded. Here are a couple of other items that I saved in his memory:

1) A B/W signed photo of Jimmie in action in 1972 at Anaheim. This was the year that Jimmie joined the Angels coaching staff and Nolan joined the Angels after being traded by the NY Mets for Jim Fregosi. Nolan Ryan credits Jimmie as being influential in having him realize how hard he really needed to work to get into the physical condition to be a consistent winner in baseball.

2) A rather grainy photo (sorry, I'm not a great photographer) of Ryan and Jimmie catching up during batting practice and workout prior to the All Star game in Anaheim in 1989. Despite its lack of clarity, I do love this photo because it shows the enduring great friendship between Nolan and Jimmie Reese. As a side note, Nolan's 2nd born son was named Reese after Jimmie. That's my Ryan game used mitt from 1989 that Nolan is holding in the photo. I've shared photos of this mitt on net54 a couple of times.

3) The memorial program that I received when I attended his funeral in 1994
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jimmie Reese 1972 signed photo.jpg (78.7 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg Nolan and Jimmie Reese All Star game 1989 at Anaheim.jpg (74.1 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg Jimmie Reese funeral program.jpg (85.4 KB, 469 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-12-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default When I first started.....

......the 1st thing I missed out on on Ebay was an ungraded 1919 regular season White/Black Sox Ticket Stub. I meant to bid but was new to Ebay and hit the bid button too late. Been kickin' myself ever since.

I've been watching weekly for years and have never seen a regular season stub come up again, seen plenty of World Series ones, but not regular season, so finally I have redeemed myself.

(Very neat 1919 home schedule on the back)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1919.jpg (70.6 KB, 430 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 11-12-2011 at 01:05 PM.