NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Shay

As a tear came from my eye, I thought this would be a good one to share. It's baseball related to boot- (thanks to our board member Denny Walsh for sending it)-

Two Choices

What would you do?....you make the choice. Don't look for a punch line, there isn't one. Read it anyway. My question is: Would you have made the same choice?

At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves children with learning disabilities, the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never be forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school and its

Dedicated staff, he offered a question:

'When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does, is done with perfection.

Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other children do. He cannot understand things as other children do.

Where is the natural order of things in my son?'

The audience was stilled by the query.

The father continued. 'I believe that when a child like Shay, who was mentally and physically disabled comes into the world, an opportunity to realize true human nature presents itself, and it comes in the way other people treat that child.'

Then he told the following story:

Shay and I had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were playing baseball. Shay asked, 'Do you think they'll let me play?' I knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their team, but as a father I also understood that if my son were allowed to play, it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence to be accepted by others in spite of his handicaps.

I approached one of the boys on the field and asked (not expecting much) if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance and said, 'We're losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth inning..'

Shay struggled over to the team's bench and, with a broad smile, put on a team shirt.. I watched with a small tear in my eye and warmth in my heart. The boys saw my joy at my son being accepted.

In the bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still behind by three.

In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and played in the right field. Even though no hits came his way, he was obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field, grinning from ear to ear as I waved to him from the stands.

In the bottom of the ninth inning, Shay's team scored again.

Now, with two outs and the bases loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was scheduled to be next at bat.

At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance to win the game?

Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat. Everyone knew that a hit was all but impossible because Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly, much less connect with the ball.

However, as Shay stepped up to the

Plate, the pitcher, recognizing that the other team was putting winning aside for this moment in Shay's life, moved in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least make contact.

The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed.

The pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay.

As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball right back to the pitcher.

The game would now be over.

The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and could have easily thrown the ball to the first baseman.

Shay would have been out and that would have been the end of the game.

Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the first baseman's head, out of reach of all team mates.

Everyone from the stands and both teams started yelling, 'Shay, run to first!

Run to first!'

Never in his life had Shay ever run that far, but he made it to first base.

He scampered down the baseline, wide-eyed and startled.

Everyone yelled, 'Run to second, run to second!'

Catching his breath, Shay awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and struggling to make it to the base.

By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had the ball . The smallest guy on their team who now had his first chance to be the hero for his team.

He could have thrown the ball to the second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitcher's intentions so he, too, intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman's head.

Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead of him circled the bases toward home.

All were screaming, 'Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay'

Shay reached third base because the opposing shortstop ran to help him by turning him in the direction of third base, and shouted, 'Run to third!

Shay, run to third!'

As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams, and the spectators, were on their feet screaming, 'Shay, run home! Run home!'

Shay ran to home, stepped on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who hit the grand slam and won the game for his team

'That day', said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face, 'the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity into this world'.

Shay didn't make it to another summer. He died that winter, having never forgotten being the hero and making me so happy, and coming home and seeing his Mother tearfully embrace her little hero of the day!

AND NOW A LITTLE FOOT NOTE TO THIS STORY:

We all send thousands of jokes through the e-mail without a second thought, but when it comes to sending messages about life choices, people hesitate.

The crude, vulgar, and often obscene pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion about decency is too often suppressed in our schools and workplaces.

If you're thinking about forwarding this message, chances are that you're probably sorting out the people in your address book who aren't the 'appropriate' ones to receive this type of message Well, the person who sent you this believes that we all can make a difference.

We all have thousands of opportunities every single day to help realize the 'natural order of things.'

So many seemingly trivial interactions between two people present us with a choice:

Do we pass along a little spark of love and humanity or do we pass up those opportunities and leave the world a little bit colder in the process?

A wise man once said every society is judged by how it treats it's least fortunate amongst them.

You now have two choices:

1. Delete

2. Forward

May your day, be a Shay Day.
MAY GOD BLESS EVERYONE WHO
DECIDES TO PASS THIS ON IN
MEMORY OF SHAY..............

--
Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh

Last edited by Leon; 08-31-2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: gramma'
Old 08-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Christopher Herman

Thank you. I needed that today.

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards
Old 08-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Jeff Sherman

Default Wow

+1
Old 08-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Who's cutting onions around here?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Scott R

I have two younger brothers who are autistic and feel this story first hand..great add.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

"every society is judged by how it treats it's least fortunate amongst them."

So true, and sadly, one basis where our intentions usually outstrip our actions.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Barry Blumenfeld

Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Who's cutting onions around here?
+1

A real nice story Leon. It's good to hear we have some fantastic people in this world.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums

Last edited by sportscardpete; 08-29-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Dan Bretta

There was an autistic boy on my son's third grade baseball team...every single one of those boys went out of their way to make him feel just as part of the team as anyone else. I had to stand behind him when our team was in the field to make sure he kept his eye on the ball so he didn't get hurt. He gave a running play by play of the game as if he were on the radio or TV...most of the other teams we played that season gave him some leeway. He could make contact with the ball, but not out of the infield..some teams would let him stay on first even if he was out..it was difficult for him to understand he had to go back to the bench if he was out.

This story really brought that season back to me Leon..thanks for posting it.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Daryl

That was a very touching story Leon; thanks for sharing.

Matthew 25:40
"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."
Old 08-30-2011, 02:19 AM
Tim

Default Heartwarming..........

Very poignant, Leon. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:10 AM

Daryl

Thanks for the verse. Applies to the great story.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:18 AM
Dan Marke1

Thanks so much Leon for sharing a truly inspiring story. A lot of well said follow-up comments also.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Great story and I have seen it before...for the last 13 years I have taught the inclusion class for my grade level at school and have seen many children like Shay come and go and I have to say, given the chance, most children are very accepting and understanding.

Joshua
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Barry Arnold

Default shay

a beautiful story---most moving.
once again, the best of this board shines through, with depth and compassion.
many thanks, Leon, denny, et al
best,
barry
Old 08-30-2011, 01:40 PM

Little People Rock!

I have 2 younger boys, a 7 & a 9 year old. The younger one is Extremely Asthmatic. His older brother has the qualities of a saint. He's very mindful of his little brothers condition. The Things the wee ones can teach uS...

Thank You Daryl for a "meek but not weak" verse, Very Encouraging!

Leon, Thank You for passing it on here...

"Ours tears come from the Same Place"
Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 PM
Louis
Louis Wi.ese

Thank you for posting this Leon. It made my day a lot brighter, knowing there are many good people in this world we never hear about. The responses also tell a lot about the quality of people we have on this board.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:08 AM
Howard Chernick

These are the kind of stories that we should hear every day. These kids are true heroes that our kids should look up to.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 09-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Would it change your perception of the story if you knew the original version featured a boy named "Shaya" and that he went to a Jewish school? Somewhere along the line in the retelling, someone changed the name. Interesting. It's a great story, whether it's true or not.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/chush.asp

Tabe
Old 09-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Would it change your perception of the story if you knew the original version featured a boy named "Shaya" and that he went to a Jewish school? Somewhere along the line in the retelling, someone changed the name. Interesting. It's a great story, whether it's true or not.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/chush.asp

Tabe
Why would it change a perception regardless of what religion someone is? And you know what, even if the story is pure fiction, but passing it around makes those who read it be a bit nicer to those less fortunate, is that such a bad thing? We need to pass around more stories like this instead of finding fault with them. And yes, with all of our members there is a great chance someone will say something contrarily, which is a sad state of affairs in the world we live in, imo. I think if each of us tries to make this place (earth) a bit better, instead of worse, we would all be better off. Just my half cent, and like I say, no doubt someone will disagree. It's ok.....everyone has a right to their opinion. best regards

to clarify, my comments were about the story and not pertaining to Tabe saying anything.....

Last edited by Leon; 09-01-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:13 PM
John Carroll

Thanks for sharing Leon, I will gladly pass this on and I hope it has the same effect on others as it has had on me. I had a rotten day at work but reading this put things back in perspective for me.
Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

John
Old 09-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Dave

I also passed it on, incredible story
thanks Leon
Old 09-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Why would it change a perception regardless of what religion someone is?
My point was more that it mattered to someone at one time and the name got changed. That's what I found interesting. To me, the religion doesn't matter one iota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
And you know what, even if the story is pure fiction, but passing it around makes those who read it be a bit nicer to those less fortunate, is that such a bad thing?
Nope. That's why I made sure to mention that I think it's a good story.

I know you weren't necessarily taking me to task, I just wanted to clarify my points so as to not be Mr. Raincloud

Tabe
Old 09-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Bruce Babcock

A great story, one I've seen before, but it just gets better.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Jon Canfield

A great story... Almost makes you wish this was a sticky so every time we have have a 200 post "ridiculous disagreement" on the board, something like this post stays above it to remind us all what really matters.