NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Jim R

one thing to note with this Sovereign back,I have noticed that the ones I have are cards that appear in the 350/460 series. Kinda like the AB no frame cards. I am not sure if a front can be found with both shades of green.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Jim R

I guess it would be pointless to issue a blank back-no ad there. So does that mean you don't need a blank back to have a complete set?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Robert A

No, i have a Chance yellow portrait that looks factory cut. I did trade away my Broadleaf 460 though.

Like the sovereign shades, there's two distinct shades of Piedmont and also the lovely blue shade of Polar Bear, but I guess most collectors wouldn't include those either.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:42 PM

Default Brown Old Mill

My understanding is that all Brown Old Mill Southerns are hand-cut. As they were probably never issued in packs, you may want to remove that one from your list.

Agree that the blank back should be removed.

The Sovereign 350 Apple Green is interesting; worthy of further study.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Jim R

thanks for all the kind words about the set.

Craig & Scot & Ted- more research needs to be done on the Sovereign 350 cards. We need to know what fronts come on the apple green and if the same front can be found with both colors.
It is kanda interesting to see if 350-460 cards are the ones with this back. maybe just an ink problem, but it will be fun researching. Maybe not an ink problem.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Jim R.

Great collection of T-backs in your gallery and thanks for including the 1910 Coupon and Red Cross backs.

Regarding the "apple green" Sovereign backs....I looked over my all-Sovereign complete set of 407 cards,
and this color variation appears to exist only on cards with Sovereign 350 backs. None of the 151 cards in
the 150 Series in my set are "apple green". Furthermore, none of the 52 cards in the 460 Series are "apple
green".

Of the 204 cards in the 350 Series in my set, only 8 are "apple green". The duplicates I have of these part-
icular 8 cards have the normal color green. This leads me to conclude that the "apple green" phenomena is
random within the 350 Series cards and it most likely can be explained that a lighter color of Green ink was
applied on certain press runs of the Sovereign 350 backs. In my opinion, these are not a legitimate variation,
but just a printing anomaly.

I'm not at home, therefore, I can't post any pictures. When we return, I'll scan some of the cards in my set.

TED Z
Old 05-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Robert A

Guys,

Still can't figure out how to post the actual card on this board, but here's the link.

Check out this apple green combination I've had for a while:

http://photos.imageevent.com/caramel...bsize/cobb.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/caramel...e/cobbsovb.jpg

By the way, call me a pessimist, but I've seen a couple different shades of sovereign. There's some really bold, dark shades as well.

Rob

Last edited by caramelcard; 05-24-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Jim R......follow-up

You noted...."I have noticed that the ones I have are cards that appear in the 350/460 series"

I am sure you know that there is no "350/460 Series" in the Sovereign issue (except for the 6 super-print cards).
The Sovereign cards were simply printed in three series....150....350....460.

Having said that, I do recollect that many of my "apple green" cards are Subjects normally found in the Piedmont
or Sweet Caporal 350/460 series.

Therefore, you may be on to some thing in your observation. However, I will reiterate that I have also seen these
cards with normal Green backs. I will get back to you on this when I'm home and have a chance to closely look at
my set.

TED Z
Old 05-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 SOVEREIGN "apple green" backs

"By golly Jim you've got it"....a very astute observation by you....congratulations.

I just looked over my all-Sovereign set; and, the 61 Subjects (including the 6 super-prints)
normally found in the 350/460 series have "apple green" backs. In addition, Nichols (batting)
also has an "apple green" back.....this card is thought to have been in this series,
Furthermore, this lighter green colored back is not found on other Sovereign cards in the 150,
350, or 460 series.

I will provide comparison scans of the 6 super-prints in my next post here.

Other series......[...........................sample of 350/460 Series cards.........................]
[linked image]

darker green.......[........................................apple green.....................................]

[linked image]

TED Z
Old 05-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Barry Arnold

Default backs

Jim,
an absolutely top drawer collection.
many thanks for making it available to us.
and many thanks for rejuvenating the ole T206 juices on this board.
I personally think that the apple green is not a 'must' for completing the set but is a printing process issue, as Barry S. intimates.
I do not think that the Red Cross is 206 but would sure love to have one---
that in itself might well make me change my mind!!!
I do believe the Coupon is a 206--- earlier threads on this topic convinced me
well beyond anecdotal meanderings.
With all the 'skinnings' going on in the last few years which created 'blanks', i gave up making a decision on the 'must' status of this card. Since it had no ad and therefore
no real issuance for advertising purposes, it does make me lean toward leaving
it out. Perhaps if i had one---as i said about the Red Cross--- that i was unequivocally certain was legit, then i might well change my mind!! Obviously, over this holiday, i am allowing the 'acquisition desire' have primacy over my
sound judgement.
great work, Jim

all the best,
barry
Old 05-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Wow-very impressive collection! I never realized how much of a 3D effect the Sweet Caps backs have-I guess my low grade backs don't pop! The public gallery is neat-o.....

Last edited by toppcat; 05-24-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:44 PM
marty

no doubt impressive collection. Its nice to see all those backs in one place, thanks for the share.

Last edited by martyogelvie; 05-25-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Banned

Seeing all of those backs together is great and reminds me that within the past year an idea was introduced on the board to create a virtual master T206 set (on a separate Web site), with all of the possible front/back combinations. The idea was pooh-poohed by one or two folks and died on the vine. It's too bad, because it seemed like a worthwhile effort -- almost like posting a complete 1933 Goudey set in one thread, you might say.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Craig Wright

Jim,

That is a great looking backs set! Here's some more data for you with regards to the apple-green Sovereign 350 - the one I have is Nichols Batting (350-460 Series). It's shown on the right, next to an Oldring Fielding (150-350 Series). Perhaps T-Rex Ted will do a survey on the apple-greens

Best Regards,
Craig

Old 12-21-2011, 11:05 PM

Jim,
Drop Blank (never distributed) and Old Mill Southern Brown (never distributed).
Keep Sovereign apple green.
Then you're complete IMO.
Scot
Old 12-22-2011, 07:24 AM

In regards to Bob's post above, often times 350 series card can be found with the 3 over an effaced 1. Apparently they uses the same stones for early print runs of the backs.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:24 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Bumping an old thread for some of the new members on a great discovery
by Jim with the Apple Green Sovereigns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img866.jpg (75.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg img864.jpg (77.2 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Pat R; 12-08-2015 at 07:20 PM.