NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Default Jim Crandell's personal thread

Posted By: BcD

my bark is worse than my bite and I at least brush my teeth!
plus, I tailed off on the confrontational stuff as there are plenty of others who are better at it though two faced. They pretend to be fair and friendly and impartial and all that then slam you behind your back.King Solomon would never pretend to be impartial then slam someone who does perform as they think they should. To them,facts become "conveluted". (the vocabulay word of the day circa 2005-6*).
Anyway,just tired of Jim and his hypocrisy.If you're going to depose people as he attempts at least ask and expose the confessions/denial of everyone such as Dave and Rob whom he has not seemingly had it in him to ask about their direct dealings in card alterations(if any*).he talks about who he can trust but fails to investigate his own standards for such! So ask them Jim,did Rob or dave circulate altered cards into the market THEY personally tampered with???

BcD

Old 03-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Dan,

No--I do not.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Bob,

Yes there are some great collections out there in all grades.

Sure I would get along with Wonka if I met him. Don't believe there is anyone in the hobby who I have met that I dislike.

Anyway, you are a classy guy--thanks for posting.

Jim

Old 03-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: D.C. Markel

Jim,

I'm a bit surprised by your answer. So you don't have any idea how much money you've spent on your cards? Not that I'm baiting you for a figure, but if you ever sold your cards how would you know if you made or lost money on them?

I also find it strange for someone who is so concerned about altered cards being put into circulation by "supposedly known" as well as unknown sources that you don't keep track of where your cards came from. Hypothetically, what if eBay Dealer X gets legitimately exposed as a major card doctor, and by your eBay feedback it becomes apparent that you've made at least a dozen transactions with this seller over a five year period. How would you handle that situation?

Old 03-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Jim, sounds like you had a busy day...thanks for the rundown of the show.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

jim- have to say, good post, good report (i posted a little something about the reading show in that thread)...

D.C.- for what it's worth, i have never recorded my purchases...even tho i have a horrible short-term memory, i do have a semi-photographic memory when it comes to cards, and can pretty much tell you how much i paid for every card i've owned. i don't have 20,000+ mind you, but have owned tons over the years.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Dan Markel,

To clarify, I keep a running total of how much I spend each year and I save all my checkbooks. So if I bought 1 card I would generally make a nnotation of who it was from and what card was and total but if I buy 4 61T cards I would just say 4 61T --I use this just to keep records of whether I actually recived them or not, not who I got them from.

Dan Bretta,

You're welcome--it was fun--my bodyguard though was expecting more.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Administrator

you asked Doug about his personal touch on cards !
What did Dave have to say????
Surely you asked him if he has tampered,altered,pulled a crease out,airbrushed,trimmed or any other manner of restoration to a card!

let's hear it! What did he say on the matter?

And how about Rob?

BcD

Old 03-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Hey Jim, while you were asking Doug and Dave all the questions Brian wanted you to ask them, did you ask them if they ever shilled an auction? Or committed any fraud in connection with their businesses?

Let's hear it! What did they say on the matter?

<----- Insert smiley here

Old 03-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Brian Daniels,

Stop harrassing me.

You know what the answer is. Doug came on the boards--said that taking light creases and wrinkles out of cards was fine. Dave Forman and Rob Lifson have made no such admission. I have asked dealers to come on here and explain their policies and few have taken me up on it. I am not going on a witch hunt and asking different people if they have altered cards.

If would like the answers ask them yourself.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Administrator

what does Dave or Rob say about their hands on or off involvement of pressing out creases ET?
restoring and trimming?

Did you get a response yet as to whether or not they have personally did these things??????

Let's get on this Jim,I am receiving e-mails on the issue of your integrity and/or true desire to expose/clean up or note who has done what!

no comment on me stating Doug has not personally done these things to cards!!!

You wouldn't protect people you purchased cards from for any reason now would you? Why would you do that? Hope you kept record of who you purchased what from over the short time you have been collecting....

BcD

Old 03-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Administrator

the harassing ignorant card grader is YOU!
I don't need to ask them anything because

a) I have been around cards a lot longer than you and already know the answers*
and
b) I have the confidence to grade cards without the plastic or anyone else's opinion based on my knowledge and experience you lack so don't need to go on a witch hunt or a chat board begging other's to validate to me that my collection has thousands of trimmed and altered cards which the rest of us all know you have!

You have to rely on dealers and third party people to feed your ego.
I just collect cards and have immitated you in my postings on this thread,what you call harassing is what you have done on here for six months now according most other's you ignore. I have pity on your stupidity and methodology in collecting. You would be better off dieting while collecting Pogs!

BcD

Old 03-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DD

BcD,
That's a bit harsh, like the man or not. We know you have been around cards alot. We also know that when Tango
Eggs are discussed that you disappear.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Administrator

I respond to most any thread about them when I feel I can offer something on the subject that has not been gone over 20 times.And if you have a question,write me an e-mail and i'll get back to you!

On your original comment, I do not like or dislike Jim!
I merely point out he is afraid of what he does not know and ignores truth....
truth he claims to seek. On his efforts,again sentiment is not sacrifice. Just a Guess DM's inquiry above is when the cards inevitably get re-evaluated Jim will be surprised as to who told him what and where his bogus cards came from.

BcD

Old 03-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Back to reality--funny Jeff--I also asked them if they beat their wife.

Thought I might see you there.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Administrator

yourself Jim,it would tell these folks a lot. it is however against the rules.
Of course,this has a lot more to do with your character than it does your ignorance of card grading. I sent you a note to remind you as to what you have claimed and how it has shown not to be true on here.

BcD

Old 03-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Jim, this week I was cross-examining a cooperating witness in a federal trial and the witness had a history of domestic violence. While I was getting him to recount the various times he had beaten his many women, I couldn't resist and asked him, "When did you stop beating your wife?" The judge interrupted the answer and said, "Please tell me I didn't hear what you just said?" I replied, "I've always wanted to ask that question!"

Old 03-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Jeff--funny!

I would have loved to have heard that.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

There are many more cards that have not been graded ( degraded ) than you think. These may have come from the players themselves and are just in private, ungraded collections.

Just my Two cents worth for a party from afar,

Rawn

Old 03-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Great news from my first submission of psa 8s that I gave PSA at the Scranton, Pa. show a couple of weeks back.

I gave them my 1963 Fleer set(67 PSA 8s).

Overall there were a total of 19 upgrades--15 to psa 8.5 and 4 to psa 9. The jumps to 9 were an added bonus. I should get the full list on Monday.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

You have gotten bumps in a significantly higher percentage than seemingly the dozens of colleagues I have who have similarly submitted to PSA. Good on ya, mate.

Which group/set are you submitting next for review?

Old 03-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Must be that keen eye that every one of the 24,000 psa 8s I own had to look like a 9.

Don't know whats next--I didn't know what was first until 10 minutes before leaving for the show. I am hoping Joe sends a couple of his graders to a hotel near my house and we could knock off several thousand at a clip.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Jim- you did get some impressive results. Do you think you get special treatment because of your status in their hall of fame?

Old 03-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Maybe I should have Jim submit some of my pack-fresh modern cards to PSA so that they'll give me higher than a 6. Grotesque.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Barry,

No, I don't.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

That was my hope too, but I was curious to hear how you felt.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Well, of my 19 upgrades most were commons except for Brooks Robinson, Ron Santo, Bobby Richardson and Ken Boyer.

The good news is that I am number 1 in the Richardson and Boyer player sets on the registry and my 9 of Jim Davenport strengthens my second position.

For 1963 Fleer as a whole I went from 17th tie(8.00) to 14th(8.12).

Not bad for not buying any cards and a minimal expenditure on grading fees.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

isn't there a big annoucement coming at Lehman Brothers (which I've gathered is your employer) tomorrow.

Just curious as to whether I'm correct as to tomorrow (Tuesday) is an important public day

Regards
Rich

Old 03-18-2008, 04:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Rich,

Lehman reports earnings at 8am this morning and the conference call is at 10am. The company is in good shape.

Jim