NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Default New poll idea....Leon

Posted By: ralph

^Ted Z.

The Playroom !, I knew it well....and The Headliner,and Surf Club,and Royal Manor South,and DeeJays,and The Columns,and Jimmy Burns,and i think you get the idea...

Old 07-23-2006, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

The Hollies. Didn't they cover "Stop in the Name of Love" in that weak attempt at re-establishing their careers in the 80's?

Old 07-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

didnt the HOLLIES sing the "air that I breathe" ?

Old 07-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Yup, great song...

Old 07-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

and he ain't heavy,he's my brother

and Bus stop!

Old 07-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Brian's right, life is too frigging short. Let's just get along.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

for the Boys Club of America before anybody made a song out of it.

Bob (my ex-old man) says it was a Bob Seeger song.

good day breakin' windows shakin'
at my cabin door;
love me like you did last night just one time more.
I know it don't make sense but then it don't intend;
if you come by once more we'll make it up again.

Tiger t, tiger gee, you my tiger rose,,
gently roll me honey while i sing your song
On the banks where the children play ring-a-liveo,
c'mon and show me somethin' i don't know.

Like to sing, Robert?

break out your bottle be in trouble by noon,
get no satisfaction cause you boil too soon.
them downtown chippies know your weight to the once
cause the harder you fall, Jack,
the higher you bounce

stoke up your gear, get ready to ride
keep your hands and your heart inside
take it as far as you want to go
till you can't see the desert for the burning snow.,

j'aime chanter...

Love the Grateful Dead, and Bobby, did you ever think of changing your name?

Old 07-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

RALPH

Thanks for recalling all those great "hang-outs" along the Jersey shore back in
the late 1960's and thru all the 1970's. We wouldd start off at "The Scene" (in
Sayreville), and then head south to the Headliner in Belmar, then bounce around
to the others you mentioned depending on the the Band that was featured.

The best Group (Salvation......I am sure you recall them) had two really good
lead singers. A heavy-set, rough looking character who performed the greatest
Joe Cocker impersonation; that if the real Joe ever watched him perform, would
be amazed.
And, a tall skinny guy who was very versatile, singing Chicago, Santana, etc....
They were so good, that the dancing would stop as everyone was "mesmerized"
by them. They were the regular group at a spot in Manasquan during the summer
months.....but I can't recall the name of the place.....Ralph, do you remember it ?

T-Rex Ted

Old 07-24-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Julie:

Actually, that paraphrased quote (and accompanying picture) was used by Father Flanagan's Boys' Town in Nebraska as their advertising slogan.

Kevin

Old 07-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby

Wow...
I've been gone all day and never thought that this thread would be recieved like this...I see that Fred and Jay saw the humor in my post but man the rest of you just jumped down my throat. In regards to a few of the posts:

martindl:

I offered a 7 day trial period here for every bpoard member and if they did not like the service they could cancel at any time. There is an opt-out policy on the site, what do you think that if you sign up you are onligated to pay $9.99 a month for the reat of your life.

In regards to customer service we have been there for every members request as fast as humanly possible. We have set up numerous ways of contact and if any one here are members they have put in a request they can contest to that.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leonl

open mouth....insert foot.....

Old 07-24-2006, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Loewke

Have nothing good to say of him and wouldn't lose any sleep if he left on his own accord but I would not ban him at all. As for people being afraid or intimidated by him, get over it. He is nothing. It is a shame he dosen't channel some of that energy and finish getting his GED. Maybe then, he can get that coveted promotion to assistant manager of grease trap maintenance. Now we used some big words here, so let's give him a chance to go and look up their meaning. Here's a hint behrens, the dictionary is that thick thing you wedged under your table to level it.

Let the loser stay.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

To all that think my brother is a loser, which he might be.
He is quite intellegent just choices to live a different life style than the main stream.

I also have a college degree but have chose to work in a bowling center a very low stress job, I could go out in the "real" world and work for corporate America and go thru all the BS. I have seen how they can operate and not fond of it. I have chosen to move to my hometown where most of my friends and family are. That is a trade off I have made as well as my brother. If anyone has a decent paying job with low stress available pleasee let me know I am alos open for change, just has to make sense.

The whole issue started when my brother made a valid point about advertising threads on the board, not about Robert and his site. I have been spanked by Leon in past for mentioning a site that I use for selling that no one makes money on. May of you read deeper into responses or do not read responses throughly and then become offended.

A good rule of thumb, of your making a joke, put a smiley to it.

Robert, I hope this whole thread was in jest but you sure didn't do much for your site with the way you handled the whole situation. The idea of your site is great and I hope it works, I just have anarrow focus and have a good grasp of the prices in what I collect, so I have no need for it now.

Lee

Old 07-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

He stays! Now Jay, stop posting those pics of you from 22 years ago and except your current phenotype!

Old 07-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It was the repetition with which that other site was being advertised, that I had an issue with.... I let it go quite a bit before I said anything......just as I have already emailed Bobby on some things... I try to be consistent. I wouldn't want a demotion .....

Old 07-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Don't you love it when the ignorant prove just how ignorant they really are. Too bad Jim doesn't know one thing about me except that I collect pre-WW2 baseball cards and he may not even know that. You seriously don't want get into a game of scrabble or boggle with me. You'll be the one using dictionary all the time because you'll accuse me of making up words. And then there is that nuclear power thing Any time you want to see who is more intelligent, I'll be happy to give you a beat down. Know anything about quantum mechanics? chaos theory? branes? muons? string theory, Schroedenger's Cat?....I can keep going if you like.

Jay- scurrilous reprobate and misanthrope. (there's some words for you to look up)

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt E.

Jim, you may want to remind Jay of section 9a of the 2006 National SCRABBLE® Association Rules Committee,

Inappropriate Behavior

i. Speaking aloud during play is often distracting and can mislead the opponent. A player who does this purposefully is considered to be acting unethically.

ii. Saying "You may want to challenge this" may considered a form of a beat down

The National Scrabble Association Rules Committee recognizes that many players who purposefully engage in this behavior will be banned from play.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I for one don't find any of this thread amusing. I find it mean-spirited, even for n54.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

How silly.

-Al

Old 07-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I thought most of the thread was fun, except where people started calling peoploe name...

Old 07-25-2006, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Old 07-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Bobby,

I Honestly dont know what to make of this thread. I have been debating for a week or so about signing up for your site. However, like someone stated above, I am questioning whether to do so now as I dont believe you exhibited much professionalism by starting this thread. I also see where you later indicated that you intended this thread to be a joke. The original post certainly did not read as a joke.

For what it is worth, put me in the column of those who do not believe that Jay's post in the original thread was a personal attack or in any way off base (though he was certainly attacked in return). I too would prefer not to see a for-profit business using the main board for advertisement - even when it is as subtle as your thread - that is what b/s/t is for. If you dont believe that is what you were doing, you are free to have your opinion. But lets look at the facts, you now have two threads going, both of which are running about 70+ posts, in which your website is mentioned numerous times and in which numerous people have stated how much they like your service. Pretty good result for not having any intent to advertise.

Had the first thread been started by a third party for the purpose of stating how good your website/service is, I would have had no issues. Self promotion, however, has to be looked at a bit more critically. For example, I know that you "advertised" your site within some ebay auctions and as a result, your auctions were cancelled. Given your use of ebay as an advertising tool, I dont believe it is out of the realm of possibility that someone could conclude that one of your goals in posting about the updates to your site was to get some free advertising on the main board.

Jim L. - Not sure what the point of your post was other than to try to attack someone for no reason. For what its worth, Im pretty sure Jay was a nuclear engineer (or something like that) before giving up the rat race. Im sure the education required for that profession would run circles around the education needed for most of our jobs. In the name of full disclosure, I am neither related to nor a personal friend of Jay's. Just an acquaintance as I am with most people on this board.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Seems your hyprocrisy runs deep. When little behrens runs his mouth or behaves rude and boorish, you hail his right to free speech or say "that's just him". It is very plain to see you only want to champion rights for those people you deem fit. It would take a real man to stand up for those that you disagree with. You are like so many people today who think childishly. Run your mouth all you want, that is your right. Bresdo has more guts than all you sit back and hate types; he is at least doing something that takes a risk.

Hey Leon, how about a poll on me; If the majority thinks I am being too tough on little jay behrens, then I will be sanctioned. I would let behrens keep tally but if the vote goes over 10, he will not be able to keep track. So, we will need somebody else, maybe you Leon. The sanction I will face is to not ever post here again. I even agree to not vote. I haven't mentioned any repercussions against behrens, as being himself is enough punishment.

Feel free to lambaste me in public Leon, I dish it out and I can take it.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Jim- you are free to say what you want to on this board. I don't really want to do a poll of anything like this though. Same reasoning as the other poll. I think there's a certain amount of folks who like to read these arguments or "opinions", so until it get's out of hand, I let them go. Also, if anyone doesn't like the way I handle stuff I am open for criticism about myself too. Just put your name by it and I will give my thoughts as a rebuttal. Lew Lipset, in the fine old periodical "The Old Judge", always used to say that editors columns, and letters to the editor, can be swayed by what is let through to the masses and printed. I don't believe in that just they way he didn't. Good, bad, or indifferent it can be posted....... Next.......

Old 07-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Wow, nice weather huh?

Yeah, nice weather somewhere.

It's summertime in the U.S. but it's winter in other parts of the world...

Old 07-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

Yep,,,looks like its not only winter but a bitter winter at that. Personally i'd find it too burdensome to carry around that much disdain for life, but its what makes people different and what makes the world go around I guess. Each to their own.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vertigojumps

We need Sean to post so Leon can this thread

Old 07-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

This isn't the worst thread we've seen here. Anyway, here's one small voice for letting Leon police the threads. He does a good job, from what I can tell he's ALWAYS online (kidding, Leon!), and it would just save everybody a lot of grief.

--Chad

BTW, I thought Jay's post was tame as well. It's weird how things can spiral toiletward on an internet message board, and how quickly.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Jim - you can call me many things, but hypocrite is not one of them. I think you need to use the search function before you make such a broad assertion. If you do, you will find that I have no problem speaking my mind - whether my opinion is popular with the masses or not. The fact is, regardless of what Jay has done or said in the past, on this particular thread (and the one that precipitated it), he said and did nothing personal. He merely gave his opinion. If we have gotten to the point where giving an opinion is going to result in being attacked about your education or some other personal characteristic, rather than a civil discourse on the opinion itself, than who is going to want to post here. Further, by posting as you have in this thread, you show yourself to be no better than the opinion you hold of Jay. Though I am sure you will not heed this suggestion, given the infrequency in which you actually post on this board, you might consider a more constructive approach.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

Is this the part where E, Daniel comes in to help police the board? Or will Leon lock this disaster before that happens?

Old 07-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

So what's up with string theory these days? Any chance it might actually describe an underlying physical reality or is it all just mathematical parlor games?

--Chad

Old 07-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

What is this, a goddam free-for-all? Like Rodney King said, "Save yer fightin' for the Krauts."

Old 07-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

has been around for decades, but now they have actually been able to put some truth behind - sort of. My interesting stuff to a geek like me.

So . . . on with the thread . . .

BTW - Go Josh GO! Josh is a good guy, but then again so is Jay . . . and Lee . . . and Leon . . . don't really know Bresdo . . .

what was the point of this again?

Old 07-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill K

Aye aye aye! Why is everyone so darned sensitive these days. IMO Jay made his feelings on Bresdo's post felt in a non-derisive constructive way. Like it/him or not he's free to post his feelings/concerns/etc. He didn't attack Bresdo at all. To post a request for a vote to ban him is ignorant and wrong (I'm not buying for a second that it was a joke.)

If nothing else these threads take away the monotoniy of work when I'm stuck in the office all day.

What a find for Levin huh?!!!! Now that is something worth posting about....off to that thread now!

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 07-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Administrator

I didn't get the memo stating you were the conscience and censor of this site. But you are a hypocrite for making excuses and defending behrens cheap shots while decrying Bresdo sticking up for himself. Or you are just plain stupid. No other way around it. As I recall, Bresdo did not solicit your opinion or Behrens on how he should run his business. Which will flourish or fail regardless of what people like you think. It's a much bigger world out there than some of the intellectual in-breds like you and behrens think. Take your own advice and check old threads for the behrens badge of honor. If you were any kind of man, you would admit you are completely wrong.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Administrator

You know Jim, there isn't much to say in response to your educated and well thought out post other than you are really proving yourself to be quite an ass.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Maybe Leon should ask that the cash bar stock O'Doul's only. This could get ugly.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Let's hear what this guy has to say:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZMWZuzdfs8&search=liberace

Old 07-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Profanity has always been a poor excuse for wit and intelligence Krasner. You were better off keeping your thoughts to yourself and having people only think you were a fool. Good move to remove all doubt.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator

I think all parties have had their say at this point.......any other comments look like they are just getting personal.....Say so long to this thread...Can't say it's been fun. One last thing.....well, never mind...IF anyone is going to implode if they don't get one last shot please email me privately and we can talk about it.....And guys, it's only cards. Mr. Burdick 's opening paragraph in the American Card Catalogue put it very eloquently:

"A Card Collection is a magic carpet that takes you away from the work-a-day cares to havens of relaxing quietude where you can relive the pleasures and adventures of a past day- brought to life in vivid picture and prose. Here is a phase of our heritage without which history has no full meaning, and only history can help man to understnad the past and prepare for the future. This is history from an original source."