NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2005, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Default NY Daily News Artcile

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I always root for the underdog...

so I support the "Man from C.A.R.D.S."

Old 01-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

Never said anything about it that I know - just stated I was a Collector who gets my cards slabbed. I truly like graded cards - saves arguing over a grade and you don't have to worry about the Larry Fristch's of the world who overgrade consistently in their favor 2-3 grades. I know you said "most" Joe - never tried to say any differently. Take care! Grading companies and Authenticators are GOOD for collectors and investors alike - just some seem to be taking advantage of their positions. The best solution to this is to expose these CROOKS and run them out of our Hobby as fast as we can!!!!!!! Another reason why I applaud Mr. Plancich and his work.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

It seems to me that the H&B lawsuit constitutes inexpensive advertising for H&B.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

...but anyway, I thought I'd add that recently, one of you wrote that something I'd said about Mastronet on this board was potentially libelous (he e-mailed me, as a lawyer), and I'd better remove it. I did as I was told. His point was that just because something was "wroing," didn't mean it was "illegal," and I'd better know my which from my what.

I send a report of the e-mail exchange to Robert, who responded "Thanks for the heads-up." Guess the irony sort of drips off that one, huh?

Old 01-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

I don't want to detract from the main theme of this thread but...

I'm a "slabhead."

I have cards slabbed/encapsulated for different reasons and none of them have to do with investment or appreciation. Not all "slabheads" do so for profit. I don't have all of my cards encapsulated so I guess that makes me a pseudo slabber (or someone that's a "wanna be" slabhead)?

I have different cards encapsulated to protect them. I feel better knowing that I am doing my best to make the cards available for future generations to enjoy.

"buy the card, not the holder"

If I'm selling an encapsulated card I will supply a scan of the card and my honest opinion of the condition of the card. I've sold a few graded cards and if I feel the card is over graded I mention it and I also opine the reason I feel it was graded too high.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Where does Plancich go from here? If he doesn't have the resources to fight them (which it certainly sounds like he doesn't) and he doesn't get a lawyer to donate their time (which I doubt they would unless the ACLU, (LOL) has nothing better to do) it sounds like the fight is over before it starts. Even if SLAPP is a way for him to get out wouldn't that still cost him a few thousand to get an attorney to fight it out for him? My understanding is that a countersuit is hard to win so I can't see an attorney taking the case with that in mind. Adam, others???

Old 01-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

So he doesn't have the money to fight the case? So what. Let them get a default judgment and attach the zero assets that Plancich supposedly has. And then he can stand outside the damn museum and announce to all of the zillions of guests (har!) that the bat is a fake. More importantly, where does H & B go from here? In the meantime, I have a chewed up pencil I want to send to Bushing. Perhaps he can authenticate it as Honus Wagner's first chewed up pencil and then sell it for a zillion dollars....

Old 01-18-2005, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

It could be a game chewed.

Old 01-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

I have a question that I was hoping someone could answer. Is David Bushing currently a paid employee of Hillerich & Bradsby? If so, for how long?

The reason I ask is because I once purchased a group of World Series Black Bats from a Hillerich & Bradsby employee and was told that I was bidding against David Bushing.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

"I don't want to detract from the main theme of this thread but...

I'm a "slabhead."

I have cards slabbed/encapsulated for different reasons and none of them have to do with investment or appreciation. Not all "slabheads" do so for profit. I don't have all of my cards encapsulated so I guess that makes me a pseudo slabber (or someone that's a "wanna be" slabhead)?

I have different cards encapsulated to protect them. I feel better knowing that I am doing my best to make the cards available for future generations to enjoy."
Judge, I love your introduction:
I'm a "slabhead."

It almost sounded like an intro to a AA meeting.

I just wanted to add that I have already described your particular slabhead sect on another thread.
Nothing wrong with it, it makes valid sense for the reasons you've given.

Now back to the main event.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

"One of the most interesting things about patent lawsuits is that one means of defending an infringement claim is to invalidate the patent. For that reason, many potential patent plaintiffs do not bring cases--they do not want their patents put on trial. H & B is assuming an awful lot of risk here--I would not only go after the authenticity of the bat, I would go after everything the Lone Authenticator has ever done as part of that "relationship" with H & B, since everything that is part of that "relationship" has to be weighed and analyzed to determine whether it was damaged by the defendant's actions."

I agree with you. H&B could very well end up behind the 8-ball with their lawsuit. They're probably hedging on the fact that Robert won't (or can't) retain legal representation. I think it's a very dangerous move on their part.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

I wonder what would happen if Plancich all of a sudden had highly skilled representation? It would be an interesting case. I just hope he doesn't get ram rodded by the legal system because he has to go up against a company/corporation that has greater resources.

I, Slabhead.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Judge Dred:

"I wonder what would happen if Plancich all of a sudden had highly skilled representation? It would be an interesting case."
Judge, it's not as far fetch as you think.

The Media, TV and the newspapers have already shown interest in Mr. Robert Plancich guided tour through The Twilight Zone of sports collectibles.
Whoever takes this on, knows that they will get the coverage befitting a king.
That plus the fact that the sports monopolist are not really on solid ground.
Not just a shakey foundation, but more like being right on the San Andrea's faultline.
You can bet your last "Just So", that the media would trip over each other to cover this story.
America loves scandals, especially if it deals with sports.

I, Conehead

Old 01-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Where are the Attorneys who want to jump on this for Pro-Bono? I am not Bar certified (for a few more months anyways) and will not be practicing in either of these states, however; this would be a great chance for an attorney to help the little guy while bolstering his own reputation and getting some great press at the same time. I cant think of a more beneficial pro-bono activity for an attorney who is also a sports fan.

Rhys

Old 01-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

am I glad that I buy all of my bats from Sandlot Stix !!!!

Old 01-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I just steal my bats from the clubhouse (I wish)

Jay

Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Old 01-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Administrator

What if the usual suspects threw an Auction Ball, and the Little Guy's didn't show up? -