NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Default Hello from a newbie to this board

Posted By: Scott - NJ

but not a newbie to vintage collecting... I started back in the mid 70s when I was around 10 when my father and I happened into a nice T-206 find.

We started going to some of the early Willow Grove, PA shows and had some good flea market and small show buys before the hobby really took off.

I've collected off and on ever since then but have been away from the hobby for a few years with the birth of my two children.

I happened by this board and have enjoyed it enough that its light my collecting juices once again..

Just wanted to say hello to the members out there and also ask what the the etticute (sp?) is as far as posting. Is it acceptible to post "want lists" or at least what type(s) of cards Im looking for to see if anyone else on the board might have any for sale or trade?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Scott

Old 01-16-2004, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Welcome aboard....there is one thread for buying, selling, and trading.....and the moderator really trys to keep it in that one thread....and we appreciate it....it is labeled....buy/sell/trade and is usually dated although this one isn't. We start a new one every month on the 1st.....as far as etiquette goes if you have been lurking long enough you know that we try to keep it civil but sometimes some passion runneth over....pretty much G to PG rated....this is cards for crying out loud ...we try to keep it mostly pre '41 baseball (pre '30's usually) with a few tangents here and there..as is always pointed out, and rightfully so, there are other chat boards for other years/cards.........the title of the board pretty much says it....hope to see ya posting more in the future.....see ya around here.....

Old 01-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Leon, you got something against the 1943 MP & Co set that you don't want it discussed? Not that it's ugly or anything

Jay

Old 01-17-2004, 05:39 AM
Administrator

I got my Dimaggio type card from it but come on....if those things never existed it would be no harm to the collector world....I would vote them among the "ugliest" cards of all time...maybe that could be a new thread...."the ugliest card/set?" later

Old 01-17-2004, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

because of the war, I don't see why they had to be short on drawing talent! Yurg.

Wewlcome, Scott. When you click on "post" or "respond," you will be asked for name and e-mail address. If you provide both, your name will appear in blue to the left (for "respond") or right (for "post") of your post, and anyone clicking on your name will be given an email form to write you.

Personally, I've forgotten my sign-in information for network54, I've been doing the other thing for so long!

Old 01-17-2004, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Scott: You already signed in and did it right, so I was asked to reassure you that that was all fine, instead of telling you how to do something you already knew how to do.
The reason I wrote the stuff is that I wasn't sure you knew that by signing in--it isn't necessary, but strongly encouraged--you provide readers with your e-mail address as well; all they need to do is click on your blue name.
Sorry!

Old 01-17-2004, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mosley

Thanks for the welcome from those whove posted here and one or two who've already emailed me.. I appreciate it and look forward to checking in here and posting from time to time.

Finding this site got me to pull out a good part of my collection and go through it for the first time in several years.

I responded to one of the board members who emailed me directly that in going through my collection it pains me to think that I had to sell virtually all of my tobacco and early candy doubles in order to get up a $20,000 downpayment for the house that I and my family now live it but at least I was able to keep it to selling only doubles off.

If the board owner will permit me, this is NOT a buy/sell request but I'd love to find out if there is ANYONE out there who has or knows someone who collects an obscure 1910 set called Allstar Baseball Package?

I would particularly like to correspond with someone who collects or knows someone who collects or has cards from that set.

Thanks again!

Scott

Old 01-17-2004, 01:18 PM
Administrator

I don't think asking if anyone collects them is too bad in a non-buy/sell/trade thread. In answer to your question, and as a die hard type card collector (quickly becoming a PCL collector though), it is almost too rare of a set to collect as a set. I know my good bud Dan Mckee has one....and I have one.....but I doubt too many folks collect the set.(probably a few but I don't know them)...just not enough out there to do it....best regards

Old 01-17-2004, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mosley

Thanks again for your reply...

Regarding All Star Baseball Package, thats pretty much the answer I expected in that its rarer and also not as desirable because the issue depicts drawings of the players rather than the players themselves.

My reason for asking about them (as you might have guessed) is that is one of the sets that I am close to completing (only 2 left) but, as you mention, its pretty rare to find anyone with them.

Im hoping I can find someone or a contact in the hobby that can help me locate the ones I need.

Most of the other sets I have are common enough that I should be able to continue to build them through the normal channels.

I would welcome advice from the board either by post or direct email.

Thanks again,

Scott