NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-12-2024, 06:06 PM
Mark

Default Am I being scammed?

I had an eBay item sell and the bidder has paid. But I'm getting MAJOR red flags.
First he's in Canada
Second, he tells me he just moved and to send to a different address in Canada than listed on eBay. I pointed that out and he contacted eBay to change it.
Then when I go to purchase shipping label it gives an address in Glendale, Illinois.
I pointed that out to him and he suggested sending FedEx with tracking and he would pay for it.
It's a $400 item. Am I being over concerned or am I being scammed?
Old 05-12-2024, 06:09 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Too many red flags for me. It may be legit, but the chances are decreasing with each word that comes from this guy.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 05-12-2024, 06:11 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
I had an eBay item sell and the bidder has paid. But I'm getting MAJOR red flags.
First he's in Canada
Second, he tells me he just moved and to send to a different address in Canada than listed on eBay. I pointed that out and he contacted eBay to change it.
Then when I go to purchase shipping label it gives an address in Glendale, Illinois.
I pointed that out to him and he suggested sending FedEx with tracking and he would pay for it.
It's a $400 item. Am I being over concerned or am I being scammed?
Trust your gut. This seems off.

If an eBay buyer ever asks you to ship an item to a different address, don't do it. Ask them if you should cancel the sale so they can re-purchase and enter the correct address. If you ship to an address other than the one in eBay's system (i.e., the one that comes up when you go to print the shipping label) you're not covered.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-12-2024, 06:13 PM
Eric Perry

Out of curiosity, what is this person's eBay user ID?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-12-2024, 06:16 PM
Ben North

I would cancel the transaction and block them.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Default Am I being scammed?

I think the Illinois address is the eBay international shipping hub. So they will handle the forwarding of the item to the buyer. Maybe do the eBay chat to verify with a rep, but that’s all that is. You get it to that hub and your job is done.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.

Last edited by CardPadre; 05-12-2024 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Clarified name to eBay International Shipping
Old 05-12-2024, 06:55 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

It used to be Erlanger, KY. Did that change?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:08 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
It used to be Erlanger, KY. Did that change?

They have multiple hubs. The KY may still be one, maybe for the “global” shipping and the IL address is one for “international” shipping.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:14 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Here is the record of something I sold last year to a Canadian buyer. Can see just the city/state of the Illinois address but also that it’s an eBay “international” shipping situation.

Old 05-12-2024, 07:20 PM
Mark

That Glendale address is the one I get, but I received no indication that it was an eBay address.

I'm real confused now. I've never shipped international
Old 05-12-2024, 07:28 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
That Glendale address is the one I get, but I received no indication that it was an eBay address.

I'm real confused now. I've never shipped international

Well, when you went to print the label, didn’t it have something like c/o “eis” as part of who you’re shipping to? That is for eBay International Shipping.

Old 05-12-2024, 07:48 PM
Mark

I did see the eis. Had no idea what it meant. eBay made no mention of it anywhere when I made the sale
Old 05-12-2024, 08:03 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Yeah, they are just trying to make it easy for you. Like shipping to the authentication program, the address on the shipping label is all you have to worry about. If the Canadian buyer has a need to change his address, he'd need to coordinate with the ebay shipping program to do that.

You can opt out of the international shipping program if you don't want to do it, but really no harm to be in it. It does cost the buyer a decent bit more, but that's their choice.

Old 05-12-2024, 08:24 PM
Paul Herbener

I had something similar happen recently on a shipment to Canada. Felt sketchy but the item was already sent. The buyer Ebay ID was scwlo. He said he was out of town and his "friend" was checking his mail and it hadn't arrived several weeks later and wanted $ back. The ebay international shipping hadn't updated for weeks. Apparently that's common. After I did some research, I was able to track it a different way and saw it was delivered weeks earlier. After I brought it up to him he said his friend missed it and it had been delivered. I blocked the guy.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:30 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

When I moved from Canada to USA, ebay wouldnt let me change to an American address for my sellers account without opening a new account which I dont want to do. Its been 2 years and I still get weird things on my account from it sometimes. Not saying there isnt a lot fo red flags but ebay isnt friendly when moving cross border
Old 05-12-2024, 08:45 PM
Mark

I guess as long as eBay tracks it I'm protected.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:00 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post
I think the Illinois address is the eBay international shipping hub. So they will handle the forwarding of the item to the buyer.
+1
Old 05-12-2024, 11:13 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

No, you're not being scammed. But you should still tell the buyer you can only ship to the address on file.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:52 AM
Sonny Smith

Just ship to the Glendale, Illinois address and you'll be covered as that is the eBay International shipping hub. Always only ship to the address provided by eBay.

Also, be aware that sometimes scammers will send messages to sellers of recently sold items and say they were the buyer and need the item shipped to a different address - when in actuality they are a totally different eBay account and had nothing to do with the transaction. Surprisingly, some sellers don't verify nor notice that the sender of the message is not the actual buyer and follow through with sending to the scammer's address.

Again, only ship to the address provided by eBay and you'll be covered by the seller protection policy.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:12 AM
Joe Hunter

Default Ebay International Shipping

You wil be fine as long as you send it to the address shown on your Ebay label. International shipping is really a good thing for sellers, but it does cost the buyer more. As mentioned above, when the item reaches the Illinois hub, your job is essentially done, and it is Ebay's responsibility to get it to the overseas destination. At least that is how I under the process.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:45 AM

Semi-related: eBay Global shipping is awful. Ridiculously high "import fees" paid by the foreign buyer are much higher than what it actually costs to get the items over the border. eBay is just pocketing the difference. I refuse to participate; they get enough of our money. Thankfully, working around these restrictions is a fairly easy process.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 05-13-2024 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:13 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
Semi-related: eBay Global shipping is awful. Ridiculously high "import fees" paid by the foreign buyer are much higher than what it actually costs to get the items over the border. eBay is just pocketing the difference. I refuse to participate; they get enough of our money. Thankfully, working around these restrictions is a fairly easy process.
I've said this for a while now and is a big reason why I no longer purchase cards from American dealers who use it.
I understand the reasons some sellers use but I also know many have been tricked/coerced into using it.

Fees, that I see for me range anywhere from $25 CDN all the way up to and sometimes over a $100 dollars. It makes zero sense how they decide what shipping fees should be.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:44 AM
Paul Herbener

Here's the link I found to track ebay shipments out of the country correctly. https://parcelsapp.com/en/carriers/easyship