NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2021, 11:31 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
First positive: it’s a bigger company and they can really open the retail market for cards to everyone everywhere.
Counterpoint: with private equity involved and MLB and the MLBPA having an equity stake in the company, my expectation is that they will emphasize the high end of the hobby where the margins are better. I just don't see a lot of easy profit in distributing packs to retail stores for sale to kids.

I hope I am wrong.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:29 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
Counterpoint: with private equity involved and MLB and the MLBPA having an equity stake in the company, my expectation is that they will emphasize the high end of the hobby where the margins are better. I just don't see a lot of easy profit in distributing packs to retail stores for sale to kids.

I hope I am wrong.
None of us can see the future but it’s certainly a possibility.
High end is its own machine. Lower end packs and other products can make you the same amount of money. They already have retail in most major sports areas.
It won’t hurt them to throw some affordable packs and blasters.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:04 PM

Lots of sentiment around the Internet about Fanatics buying Topps. Remember that Topps makes most of its money on things that are not baseball cards. They are one of the top (if not the top) non-chocolate checkout candy manufacturers in the country. They have the soccer license as well as maybe the most important non-sports property in Star Wars, plus proprietary things like Garbage Pail Kids. I don’t think Fanatics wants to be in the candy and non-sports card market.

I find it more likely that Fanatics finds a way to license the Topps name. Some kind of deal in 2024-2025 that would allow them to utilize Topps’s MLB contract for logos and team names, and then use Topps’s IP thereafter. Think of it as “Topps x Fanatics” the way Topps does other collaborations. Topps Allen and Ginter by Fanatics, or what have you.

If there’s an acquisition I find it more likely they try to acquire Panini. Fanatics is huge in China, Panini is huge in Europe. They’ve got the globe covered (apologies to Australia and Africa) with that acquisition. Plus Panini has redefined two major sports in the last decade and those brand names like Prizm would be arguably more important to Fanatics than Chrome ever could be.

If they wanted to be really smart about it though they’d acquire Upper Deck which would come at a fraction of the price. That gives them the Michael Jordan exclusive, plus gives them the hockey license, thereby giving them all 4 sports. And in addition to all the Upper Deck brands you also get all the Fleer brands. Nostalgia central. That’s the play Fanatics should be making. They don’t need Topps.
Old 08-22-2021, 05:38 AM
Tom Re.bert

Is the future of sports cards to be sold through Fanatics or someone else going to be digital. I heard we might wear some sort of special glasses and view our collection on the wall. Why print, package, ship cardboard, and basically cut out the middle man, look at the cost saving and profit margins--
This may sound science fiction and far out, but could this possibly be the norm for our future generations of collectors?
Old 08-22-2021, 12:02 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Let’s hope this is the official death of the rookie shield. Ruining front of cards since it’s inception. I never understood why if they were going to put on the card why not put it on the back by the number .(You heard it here first)
Old 08-23-2021, 10:47 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Looks like Fanatics just ousted Panini for the NBA, too. Woah.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:58 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Looks like Fanatics just ousted Panini for the NBA, too. Woah.
Given that the NBAPA has ownership in the new Fanatics company, it was never in doubt that Panini would lose their license for the NBA. They will lose their NFL license, too, since the NFL and NFLPA have ownership in the new company as well.