NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-15-2021, 11:55 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Too late to attend National?

I’m wondering if anyone has any advice for attending the National later this month (as attendee, not dealer) at this late stage - anyone know if hotel rooms, show tickets and flights are still available?

Before I try and negotiate with my wife, I thought this might be a logical first stop.

Thx for any advice

Jeff
Old 07-15-2021, 12:49 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
I’m wondering if anyone has any advice for attending the National later this month (as attendee, not dealer) at this late stage - anyone know if hotel rooms, show tickets and flights are still available?

Before I try and negotiate with my wife, I thought this might be a logical first stop.

Thx for any advice

Jeff
Hotels directly in Rosemont might be tough to get but I am sure you can still find some within a 15 minute drive. O'Hare is right next to Rosemont; I think getting a flight to O'Hare is certainly doable. I know a lot of advance tickets have been sold, but I think you can still get them - I would go for it!

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972

Last edited by the-illini; 07-15-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:30 PM
Scott Russell

No sweat. We got the Hyatt O'Hare for only $65 a night a few weeks ago. 4 miles from the convention center.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-15-2021, 04:41 PM

Try this one. Only 3 miles away. Free shuttle to the show.

Quality Inn O'Hare Airport
3801 North Mannheim Road,
Schiller Park, IL, 60176
Phone (847) 678-0670
Old 07-16-2021, 05:37 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:

Thx for any advice

Jeff
YOU Actually have to Go. So anyone like myself who cannot go this year can "experience it" thru you and others from the board and as they share their happenings.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-16-2021, 07:13 AM

You can always find a place to stay in a big city.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:48 AM
Dave Carson

I decided earlier in the week to request the time off from work for Thursday and Friday with the intention of driving up Thursday morning.

I'm a 3.5 hour drive to Rosemont, so it is easier for me to be a bit more uncertain about whether I'm really going to go. I'm fully vaccinated and plan to wear a mask, but I still have some lingering doubts about crowds that could cause me to back out at the last minute.

I purchased tickets for two days this morning. If I don't decide to go, I'm just out $40. Won't have to stand in line for tickets or run the risk that they sell out.

I plan to drive up Thursday morning with the hope of parking my car by 10:30 - the line to get in will be humongous so I'm not overly concerned if not there right at 10.

I will wait and book a hotel as I'm leaving the show Thursday. I will get a room in the 15-20 minutes out range. Lots of rooms west of O'hare - Seeing Hyatt Places and Hilton Garden Inn's in the $125 a night range. I'm sure I will find something.

Hotels will not be a problem. If you are flying in and not getting a rental car, you would have less options. But if you are driving in, you have all kind of hotel choices.

I will plan to be in line relatively early Friday with the goal of getting out of the area by mid-afternoon Friday so I can get home to Indy before dark.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:32 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:

Thx for any advice

Jeff
Lollapalooza is going the exact same days which is not going to help. Most of those people try to stay close though, so not a ton of crossover there.

Schiller Park hotels are sketchy-avoid them. If you can get a Rosemont one right next to DSCC it will be worth the high price. If you want to stay close and save money, try towns along 90 Tollway west of the airport. Start with 60007 zip code and move west. Traveling 10 miles on the tollway won't cost you nearly as much time as coming from east or south of the venue.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:51 AM
Rich Klein

Booking a flight even with 2 week notice was not bad; the hotel rooms under the NSCC purview are. of course. all sold out. But I actually spoke to the primary person coordinating the NSCC lodging and he helped me find a hotel, and you had to have a five night stay, at a place with a decent google rating no less for $85 per night. Of course, I'll have to cab/uber/etc. to get to and from the show but,,,, for a 2 week out notice that is not bad

Rich
Old 07-19-2021, 01:37 PM
Chase

Less than 2 weeks out. Any chance the convention gets cancelled due to the concerns over the delta variant? Gov seems pretty convinced that indoor super spreader events are leading the away to more cases.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:47 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorewalker View Post
less than 2 weeks out. Any chance the convention gets cancelled due to the concerns over the delta variant? Gov seems pretty convinced that indoor super spreader events are leading the away to more cases.
absolutely not
Old 07-19-2021, 01:48 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Less than 2 weeks out. Any chance the convention gets cancelled due to the concerns over the delta variant? Gov seems pretty convinced that indoor super spreader events are leading the away to more cases.
no chance of cancellation...IMO. Let those who refused vaccines pay the praise...it is a choice.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:55 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
no chance of cancellation...IMO. Let those who refused vaccines pay the praise...it is a choice.
Oh I agree but some cities are beefing up requirements again because of choice. Hard to talk about Covid impact without talking politics.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:33 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Advice? —wear a mask and make sure you are vaccinated
Old 07-20-2021, 02:41 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I'm more worried about the smell of Weed.....it's nasty and legal in IL.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:27 PM
Ben

You have to go. Any hotel that you stay at you will be able to get to the show either by train or uber.

It's only too late if the show is already over...
Old 07-20-2021, 04:42 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default rapid testing prior 72 hours covid 19

Louisiana along with Missouri and Arkansas was added to the restrictions list if flying to Chicago. Other states might be added soon, Florida, Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming. The Delta strain reported surging in Southern Illinois.
If not fully vaccinated a rapid test 72 hours prior with negative results will be required to board--possibly more states will be added to the restriction list before the 28th!--wearing masks will be required on the plane and recommended during the show--

Last edited by Directly; 07-20-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:09 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

For added safety it should be required during the show
Old 07-20-2021, 05:12 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I hope attendee's who are vaccinated will have the choice instead of mandated to wear a mask.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:32 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

And you know someone was vaccinated because they say they were? Some people who were stupid enough to not get vaccinated are also probably stupid enough to lie about it to avoid wearing a mask.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:01 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Even fully vaccinated people appear to be testing positive recently...

Kamala Harris' Communications Director and another flight crew member
5 of the Texas politicians who recently fled the state
Olympic Gymnast Kara Eaker
Olympic Basketballer Katie Lou Samuelson
Olympic Tennis star Coco Gauff
Leon County Commissioner Brian Welch, his wife and two kids
A number of passengers on a fully vaccinated cruise ship

...and a bunch of others that have not likely been publicized. Seems pretty risky to go ahead with the show, given the hoards of people that will be crammed in and densely concentrated within a single indoor venue.

It sounds like they'll go ahead with the show, but are they giving any thought to limiting the number of attendees inside the convention center to a certain number? I would certainly hope so.

Last edited by perezfan; 07-20-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:36 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Exactly Mark. Most of those people are asymptomatic and only know they have the virus because they are forced to be tested. Imaging how many vaccinated people will be at the show who have been vaccinated but are till carrying the virus, and can still pass the virus, but are showing no symptoms. That is why everyone should be forced to wear masks.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:28 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
For added safety it should be required during the show
Most old codgers should be required to wear fresh depends daily.