NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-10-2020, 01:09 PM
Joshua

Default Babe Ruth

I’m amazed at the price increases for Babe Ruth, primarily his 1933 Goudey issues. I get the increase for the all time great, and his cards have been steadily rising. But curious what was cause for the recent explosion in his issues?

It was only 2 years ago when you can buy a low grade 33 goudey for a little over 1k. Now it’s 3-4x that price?

Great to see this as this is good for the hobby, but curious on others’ take on higher demand on higher prices. Anecdotally, seems supply is also drying up too as there use to be multiple issues each pwcc auction, there’s only 1-2 of them in the current auction. Which you would think the higher prices would bring out supply.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:19 PM
Anson

It's not just Ruth, it's a lot of the all-time greats for each sport. Check Mantles, Jordans, Gretzkys, Montanas, etc...its the COVID bubble. The popular players in the popular issues have gone nuts.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:21 PM
pete ullman

price manipulation and FOMO!
Old 11-10-2020, 01:51 PM
John Donovan

There have been multiple threads over the last eight months discussing this, but I think the mathematical formula to describe this phenomena is:

covid + stay at home + extra time for old/nostalgia hobbies + stimulus checks = high demand for marquee baseball cards

The biggest question now is whether or not prices will come back down. I sure hope prices come back down. I'm a "save up money for long periods of time to buy cool cards" kind of collector. Unfortunately I'm pretty much priced out of the big cards I was wanting to buy some day. Like everyone else I wanted to add Ruth, Cobb, Jackie Robinson, etc. to my collection. Well, I guess I can probably still add them some day....but they won't be in very good condition
Old 11-10-2020, 04:23 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think it's due to the increases in the modern cards. That is, if a Mike Trout rookie card is worth over a million dollars, then these Ruth and Cobb cards must be really undervalued. I think that's the thinking going on here.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:49 PM
Jim B.

I always buy Babe Ruth cards - he's not gonna have a bad year!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53_Ruth.jpg (73.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 144_Ruth.jpg (73.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 149_Ruth.jpg (73.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 181_Ruth.jpg (73.1 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by BabyRuth; 11-11-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:10 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

I have really been into Mays again lately. He's still with us, one of the top 3 most well rounded players ever, iconic and a trail blazer. I'm amazed at how affordable key cards are of his. He does not seem to have gotten the COVID bump in prices of other top tier players. No brainier investment and I hope he gets some appropriate attention before he's gone. I recently read that he is struggling with pandemic isolation.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:08 PM

Glad I got mine when I did. Paid $500 for this bad boy using my student loans during grad school:

Old 11-10-2020, 06:15 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
There have been multiple threads over the last eight months discussing this, but I think the mathematical formula to describe this phenomena is:

covid + stay at home + extra time for old/nostalgia hobbies + stimulus checks = high demand for marquee baseball cards

The biggest question now is whether or not prices will come back down. I sure hope prices come back down. I'm a "save up money for long periods of time to buy cool cards" kind of collector. Unfortunately I'm pretty much priced out of the big cards I was wanting to buy some day. Like everyone else I wanted to add Ruth, Cobb, Jackie Robinson, etc. to my collection. Well, I guess I can probably still add them some day....but they won't be in very good condition
Cards have become assets. Like any asset, prices do not perpetually rise.
I’m optimistic that prices will normalize when Covid eases up. The casual collector will lose interest when things normalize. Hang in there.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:55 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I will take the other side of the bet - people have been saying since early this year that cards have nowhere to go but down. I think there is a positive feedback loop to cards - the more expensive they are the more people want them. Yes, the cycle will cause some downward prices but I believe there has been a positive "step-change" in card prices. Poor Goudey Ruth's will not go for $1,000 again. Probably not $2,000 either.

I think modern prices are more concerning.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 11-10-2020, 07:09 PM

I've said it in other threads but there was a time when a guy said paying $100 for a Ruth was crazy and the prices will come back down.

If you've got the money, buy the card you want when you can afford it.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:03 PM
je.sse @rnot

Yea when I got my 144 the prices were about 1k per grade 1-4, and maybe 5-6k for a 5. Slightly more for the yellow. I really wish I had bought the other 3 back then.

I don't see these ever going back down, unless the hobby completely dies. When Babe Ruth cards start decling in value, every card will be in trouble.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:16 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
I will take the other side of the bet - people have been saying since early this year that cards have nowhere to go but down. I think there is a positive feedback loop to cards - the more expensive they are the more people want them. Yes, the cycle will cause some downward prices but I believe there has been a positive "step-change" in card prices. Poor Goudey Ruth's will not go for $1,000 again. Probably not $2,000 either.

I think modern prices are more concerning.

That’s exactly what happen with tech stocks.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:33 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

I’m curious what the investor/collector ratio is among buyers of vintage cards.... unlike tech stocks, there is a mix of collector/investor who add to the inflation or prices.

I’d prefer that the cards I buy at least hold their value (and increases are nice too!) - but even if the value correct, I’ll still enjoy my Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Satchel Page.

If I had to guess, I would say that investors make up less than 20% of $$ spent on vintage cards. If they exit, prices settle down a few ticks, I’d have no concerns with that.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:27 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
That’s exactly what happen with tech stocks.
The difference between tech stocks in 2000 and 2020 is that in 2020 they actually have legitimate businesses that generate cash (generalizing here, talking about the group in general) and are benefitting from a secular move to online that has increased further due to covid.

I think a lot of the new collectors/investors in the market are here to stay; social media has made this a very, very different hobby.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 11-11-2020, 07:24 AM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
I have really been into Mays again lately. He's still with us, one of the top 3 most well rounded players ever, iconic and a trail blazer. I'm amazed at how affordable key cards are of his. He does not seem to have gotten the COVID bump in prices of other top tier players. No brainier investment and I hope he gets some appropriate attention before he's gone. I recently read that he is struggling with pandemic isolation.
Agree with you on Mays. Although his cards have ticked up slightly this year, it hasn't been exponential like some of the others mentioned.

The fact that you can STILL get one of his true rookie cards (1951 Bowman) for an entry level price of around $2000 (grade 1 or 2) and even a grade 4 for around $5000 in today's market is surprising to me.

When I started building my 1952 Bowman set a few years ago, his was one of the first "high dollar" cards I bought, because being his second year card and a high number short print, I was convinced it was soon going to skyrocket in value. Turns out I should I have bought the Mantle three years ago instead
Old 11-11-2020, 09:32 AM

Tech stocks have no place in a discussion about baseball cards. I think there is a fallacy in the notion that there are these temporary collectors driving up prices. Nobody in their right mind would go from never even looking at a baseball card to investing in T206 Cobb Green Portraits.

Everyone driving up the price of niche collectibles like T206s and Goudeys is a collector. The only card anyone outside the hobby is likely to have ever heard of is either the Wagner or the 52 Mantle.

Last edited by packs; 11-11-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:49 AM
Micah L Marshall II

Default Card increases

When I see the 48 Leaf Robinson PSA 1 selling for $5k, I am of the opinion the 33 Goudey Ruths still have a LOT of room to run. Go to VCP and look at the prices in the last 15 years, theyve never really gone down. Why would now be any different.

Completed 1986/87 Fleer Basketball

Completed 1935 National Chicle - 36/36

1933 Goudey - 208/240

I've switched my focus to comic books! looking for AF 15, Hulk 1, FF1, FF 5 and x-men 1 prefer blue CGC 2.5. I cannot afford a 2.5 Superman #! or Dective Comics #27 so would consider less grades for only those two books.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:08 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Never wrong, just early. That applies in spades to cards. I don't think I have ever gone wrong buying a Ruth card at the then-market price, because I tend to hang onto cards for a long time. Over the long term they are sound purchases because Ruth and several others are must-have players. I mean, how do you put together any kind of credible collection without Babe Ruth, Walter Johnson, Cy Young, Willie Mays, Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron, Honus Wagner, Stan Musial, Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig or Mickey Mantle. They are at the core of the game. It bugged the hell out of me that I did not have a career-issued Wagner card for a long time, until I finally bought one:

I overpaid for it but now I am very pleased.

Now, if I was purchasing with an eye towards flipping the cards relatively quickly I would be sidelined right now.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-11-2020, 02:16 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
The difference between tech stocks in 2000 and 2020 is that in 2020 they actually have legitimate businesses that generate cash (generalizing here, talking about the group in general) and are benefitting from a secular move to online that has increased further due to covid.

I think a lot of the new collectors/investors in the market are here to stay; social media has made this a very, very different hobby.
My point was missed in that they have similar price momentum in that both have exhibited behavior of Veblen goods - demand increases as price rises. Buyers live higher and sellers live lower.

As an asset class totally different - explaining such is low hanging fruit.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:42 PM
Jim H

as a collector, that has been out of the hobby for ~ 40 yrs, I am shocked at vintage card prices. Pleasantly surprised as well.

However, I can better understand demand driving prices for limited quantities of prewar stars (Ruth, Cobb, etc.), than the new wave of paying thousands of dollars for recent issues. I can't wrap my mind around that at all.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:49 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post

Let a represent the cost of the card prior to the pandemic.

Let b represent the number of shill bidders.

Let c represent the amount of money you're unable to spend on strip clubs, vacations, live sporting events, etc.

a(2) + b(2) + c(2) / 1.5

So, for the 1948/49 Leaf Jackie Robinson in PSA 4

6,500(2) + 37(2) + 5,000(2)/1.5

13,000 + 74 + 10,000 / 1.5 = 15,382. 67