NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2019, 02:22 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
I'll share the love of 1985 Fleer. I was 10 years old in the summer of 1985 and vacationing with my family in Orlando, and we went in to a Walgreens pharmacy where they had a big display box of open, loose 1985 Fleer cards, selling them for 1 cent each. I went through and picked out all the Royals I could find. Those were officially my first baseball cards.

Fast forward to October 1985 when I got to watch those very same Royals pictured on my cards win a World Series. I remember shuffling through and "playing" with them during the Series, ordering them by batting order, etc. Funny enough, I did NOT pull a George Brett out of that box in Florida, but I did pull this guy...and there really wasn't a hotter pitcher than Sabes that fall. Cy Young, World Series MVP, this card was actually "valuable" for a while.

Still have it (as well as the other 1985 Fleer Royals I pulled that day). I really should pick up a Brett and any other Royals I'm missing, and finally complete that team set.

Attachment 353147

Where at in Orlando?

The Pete Rose came from the Revco on Curry Ford road. It is long gone and there is a Walgreens now that sits across the street.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:36 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
Where at in Orlando?

The Pete Rose came from the Revco on Curry Ford road. It is long gone and there is a Walgreens now that sits across the street.
Wow, that’s been way too long ago to remember details like that. Plus, I was 10 and very distracted by Space Mountain, Epcot, and all things Disney.

But between your early collection and mine, it sounds like Orlando was a hotbed for readily available Fleer cards in 1985.

Nice Rose by the way. Along with my Royals, I also remember picking up a ‘Ripken in Action’ card that showed Cal swinging frame by frame. I thought it was super cool. Still have that card too I think.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:26 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I purchased my first 19th century cards in 1989 at age 15. I was intrigued by Old Judges, cards that had begun and were still turning 100 years old. Emil Geiss was my first for $12 (Southern Cards) but I really wanted Detroit cards. The first opportunity for a Detroit OJ was from Lew Lipset through an SCD add with a $130 asking price. I had virtually memorized Lew's encyclopedia of 19th century cards and was so eager for my first Detroit and so I made it mine. Back then, OJ portraits brought more of a premium than they do today. I still love that card.

FWIW, I also preferred '85 Fleer over Topps & Donruss. In '85 I hadn't yet ventured into older cards. I not only liked the Fleer design most but appreciated that they put the Detroit team at the front of the set (having won the '84 World Series). I also liked the '85 Topps stickers as they dedicated a couple pages to the play-offs / WS.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers