NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-02-2017, 10:50 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Where does this Snooki one fit in?

As to the Op topic-- I don't look at 8's 9's or 10's in those cards. I keep it at a minimum in the low grades 1-3 to keep track records.
It just amazed how many times it flipped. Wouldn't a card like that be in a PC- personel collection. I know mine is and its low grade.
People with $$$, just making more $$$.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 07-02-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (38.8 KB, 524 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think it is terribly unfair of the producers of these True Blood cards to puzzle collectors viewing "Sookie's card as to whether Ms. Stackhouse lives up to her name by having an impressive rack. I must say from the neck up she looks quite tasty.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:48 PM

IsN'T She the Runner~uP iN the Nathan's Hot Dog EatiN Contest?
Old 07-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Anywhere she wants.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:28 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I really don't see where Larry's rant directly addresses my point. My point is NOT about the most valuable or desirable collectibles and their prices but about the rising tide lifting all boats. How are price trends over the last 50 years on big little books? Hopalong Cassidy collectibles? Of course the best of all collectibles will rise over time with the market. But what about those crazy prices on 1986 topps Ryne Sandberg, or some obscure issue like a hocus focus? I believe that over time, as the generation that buys out of nostalgia dies out the replacement collectors will value things differently. That's all I said. My other point was that intrinsic value sets a hard floor, i.e. Silver dollars don't drop below melt value, something cards don't have. I am happy with my collection and my budget. No sour grapes here. When I was younger (I'm 35 now) a lot of my friends collected. I'm the only one who still does, and I'm a casual collector. Maybe using the National and a baseball card forum is not the best indicator of the proportion on collectors in relation to the general population.

Post edited due to my own obnoxiousness.

Last edited by Econteachert205; 07-04-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:06 PM
Larry

Sorry I got a little carried away, and didn't mean to offend anyone. But I am a devoted student of several collectible markets, including coins and cars, and the markers here clearly point away from one with limited staying power, and towards one that will indeed be here for a very, very long time, with regard to truly classic items (I did not state nor imply that everything will simply keep going up. There is a great deal of difference between collectibles of true rarity and significance, and those bearing the earmarks of only a fad, an interest here today and gone tomorrow--tulipmania, anyone?). Perhaps another marker of the enormous growth in the hobby, one indisputably reflective of the general population, may be seen in the evolution of REA's catalogs. Back in the early '90's, they were an insert in Sports Collector's Digest comprised of 4-8 pages of yellow news print quality paper. Now, they are made up of six to seven hundred pages of the best, glossiest stock available.

I made reference to the coin market because it became organized as a hobby 120 years before ours did, and it has gone through most or all of the same trends. There is, I believe, quite an analogy to be drawn between the two. Third-party grading came into coins in the mid to late '80's, then made its way to cards (PCGS in coins and PSA in cards are owned by the same entity). It took some time before die variations in coins were truly appreciated for their rarity, just as it has with different backs or other variations in cards (no one collected rare-back T206's in the late '80's or early '90's; or if they did, it certainly was an aspect of collecting which received little to no publicity whatsoever--a Cy Young portrait was a Cy Young portrait, period). In coins, even the different mint marks didn't matter until the 1860's. A coin of a particular date was valued just the same if created at the Philadelphia mint as the Denver mint, etc. Then collectors came to realize that issues of a given year from one mint were significantly rarer than those of another, and values rose accordingly. From there, other variations began to be appreciated, including die variations--perhaps one die featured a closed wreath on its reverse, while another was open, or one had more stars along the edges than the other, and if one variation between the two was extremely rare, its value came to reflect that fact. Now the rarest T206 backs are appreciated in just the same way as rare die variations or rare mint marks in coins. My point is that, like coin collecting, this is a market that has staying power (coin collecting in this country began in the early 1800's)--it's not going to magically disappear in 2070 or so. People collect HOF'ers now and they will continue to do so, as those players were and are reflective of the most significant parts of of the game's history. One point cannot be overstated: many people not only like history, but are quite passionate about the particular field of it that they are drawn to. Because they like it, because they are passionate about it, they will continue to collect it. That passion, in both the coin and car collecting field, is being passed down from generation to generation. Just because you are the only one of your childhood friends that has continued to collect, that doesn't mean the hobby is dying--it only reflects a very, very small sample size; a microscopic one in the larger picture.

Just as Leon put together a truly remarkable type collection (perhaps the greatest one the hobby will ever see), coin collectors put type collections together now and will continue to do so. Certainly card collectors will continue to form type collections in cards (although I doubt others will have the determination and drive to achieve success on the level Leon did--you'd have to literally live it and breathe it!).

I guess my main point is that this hobby is simply not going to bite the dust in the next decade, the one after that, or likely not even in the next century. As long as there is baseball, there will be those with a passionate interest in its history. And a card is the embodiment of that history. It is truly a two-dimensional moment in a player's life and career, created and preserved contemporaneously (for the most part) with that very real moment in his life. The most basic attraction of the vintage card is that it does in fact connect you to the player, and take you back to that time! In this sense, cards most definitely DO HAVE INTRINSIC VALUE, although it is intangible and psychological in nature. They have it in a way that pictures taken long ago, but published in a relatively new book, can never, ever have.

Just my $28.75 worth.

May collecting bring you the joy of holding the game's very history, right there in your hands. What you have is in fact a treasure of the past!

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 07-05-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:13 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I don't think the hobby is going anywhere either, I think we're both speaking to an evolution in these markets. I enjoy the discussion and have a tendency towards opinionated beliefs. That's why I come here. No offense taken. I certainly hope the market stays strong as much as anyone, but I do worry about things like crazy prices on low pop commons and the massive amount of newer era stuff out there.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
I don't think the hobby is going anywhere either, I think we're both speaking to an evolution in these markets. I enjoy the discussion and have a tendency towards opinionated beliefs. That's why I come here. No offense taken. I certainly hope the market stays strong as much as anyone, but I do worry about things like crazy prices on low pop commons and the massive amount of newer era stuff out there.
I also worry about the sustainability of exorbitant prices for cards that are common in the literal sense (e.g., just about any Topps base card).
Old 07-07-2017, 03:45 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
A couple things to keep in mind...

1) There are 30% more people in US now than there were in 1990, and the trend will continue. Theoretically, more people = more potential fans/collectors, aka increased demand.

And 2) Are there a lot of these cards out there? You bet. But there will continue to be floods, fires, and all sorts of other events that, over the decades, will wipe out collections, aka decreased supply.

I am also in my 30s, but not worried one bit about cardmageddon...at least not in our lifetime anyways.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:24 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Check Out Hunts PSA 8 Centered Mantle it's only at $160k ish with one day to go. Granted the one corner doesn't look like a 8, this leads me to believe the high dollar investor is getting out of this Market. I think there is gonna be a lot of fear after during/after the National. Just my two cents. Idk lol

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-09-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:55 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
A couple things to keep in mind...

1) There are 30% more people in US now than there were in 1990, and the trend will continue. Theoretically, more people = more potential fans/collectors, aka increased demand.

And 2) Are there a lot of these cards out there? You bet. But there will continue to be floods, fires, and all sorts of other events that, over the decades, will wipe out collections, aka decreased supply.

I am also in my 30s, but not worried one bit about cardmageddon...at least not in our lifetime anyways.

I'm not worried about cardmageddon either.

When little league ball begins to decrease, and the interest isn't there, then I'll be concerned. ( Golf is in serious trouble ) Will all of those kids grow up and collect?

Not all, but some will.

Most of them collect in some form or another right now though. They all have their favorite players, and present collecting habits can lay the foundation for more expensive interest in card collecting down the road.