NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-15-2015, 05:47 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Leon

I should have gone for it. I put my card resources in a few other directions and now regret it, but overall you did very well. Congratulations.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:09 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Wins

I was able to snag 2 blank backs, T205 McConnell and the T207 Street. I was the underbidder on the T206 Mullaney as well. Oh well, sometimes chicken sometimes chicken residue !!
Old 08-15-2015, 08:07 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Default Hmmmmm....

Let's put it this way. Johnny has an enormous amount of passion. He has always participated on this board sharing scans and information. He regularly posts and not just to bump or plug his own BST threads. He's the first guy to compliment other collectors on cards or their collections. He takes the time with others to try and further the knowledge of the T206 set and shares what he knows. He actually posts cards from his collection for others to enjoy.

That's a hell of a lot more than the bulk of the members here ever do. So he over estimated a couple of cards. Who cares he's not in the auction business. Heritage had a few higher estimates on a handful of Leon's cards and they fell below estimates...anyone gonna start slapping them around?

With all the scumbags in this hobby, stolen items being offered for sale, blatantly false lot descriptions etc. I would think we as collectors would have better things to police than a passionate collector who tossed a dart at a price and missed.

In reagards to Johnny's emoticons and personality as Warren Zevon said...he's just an excitable boy.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 08-15-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:15 AM
Sean Brennan

Anyone here win the sporting life lot and want to part with the Johnson and Coombs please let me know )
Old 08-15-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Let's put it this way. Johnny has an enormous amount of passion. He has always participated on this board sharing scans and information. He regularly posts and not just to bump or plug his own BST threads. He's the first guy to compliment other collectors on cards or their collections. He takes the time with others to try and further the knowledge of the T206 set and shares what he knows. He actually posts cards from his collection for others to enjoy.

That's a hell of a lot more than the bulk of the members here ever do. So he over estimated a couple of cards. Who cares he's not in the auction business. Heritage had a few higher estimates on a handful of Leon's cards and they fell below estimates...anyone gonna start slapping them around?

With all the scumbags in this hobby, stolen items being offered for sale, blatantly false lot descriptions etc. I would think we as collectors would have better things to police than a passionate collector who tossed a dart at a price and missed.

In reagards to Johnny's emoticons and personality as Warren Zevon said...he's just an excitable boy.

Cheers,

John
+1
Thanks John, anyone who has ever talked with Johnny knows how passionate he is about collecting T206's, especially scrap. It's not an act, that's just Johnny.
It's not about money for him, he truly loves the cards, sometimes maybe too much...
Be well Brian
Old 08-15-2015, 09:43 AM
Brad Pencil

Not take aways from the big t206 scrap fight but on a side note I picked these two premiums up...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 10.40.26 AM copy.jpg (67.0 KB, 662 views)

Last edited by pencil1974; 08-15-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil1974 View Post
Not take aways from the big t206 scrap fight but on a side note I picked these two premiums up...
Nice! I had my eye on those too. Held my powder for other things in the auction. Sharp looking premiums. I really dig the Gehrig.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Absolutely

Johnny is passionate and emotional about his cards and everyone else's cards. Enjoy the enthusiasm as it is far from the norm and rarely seen here. I speak with him on many T206 questions and he has helped me gain an understanding of scrap. I do ask his opinion on pricing but I know its simply just an opinion. We compared notes on the 2 cards in question and each had our opinion. No harm no foul just an opinion.

Thanks Johnny for the help in my learning about scrap and its value.

Quote:

Cheers,

John
Old 08-15-2015, 10:48 AM
Brad Pencil

Its funny I just wanted the Ruth.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:08 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:

Cheers,

John
Johnny has sunk a lot of time into coaching me on the finer points of all things T206. He has pointed out resources I can go to so that I can educate myself. In addition, he has shared scans of many items from his own collection. I can't even begin to tell you what an incredible resource he is, and how much he has gone out of his way to just help another collector. If I had had someone like him when I first started collecting postwar cards years ago, I wouldn't have made all the mistakes that I made. Is he passionate? Yes! And in a world of collecting that has simply become all about profit and bottom line, I can appreciate that passion. The fact that an advanced collector like Johnny takes the time to fool with a T206 newbie like me speaks volumes, and I won't forget it.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Agree w/John re Johnny. If I had a buck for every wrong SWAG I've made I'd not be working.

Brad, I don't know what those premiums are but they are brilliant.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-15-2015, 03:13 PM
Brad Pencil

Thanks Adam!
Old 08-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Eric Perry

List me as another supporter of Johnny V. I wish more people in this hobby had his unbridled enthusiasm for (and willingness to share knowledge about) the cardboard treasures we collect.

Best regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra